NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 462 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Spectre

ehh/10

Not mehh/10 but definitely ehh/10.

It was serviceable but nothing really stood out. Even the car chases seemed slow/not all that interesting.

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Futy 4/10: Tries to do a band of brothers type war film, but with a more close knit group of just 5. It gets too cheesey near the end for me. There are some good bits in it, but not really worth watching.

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Spectre

ehh/10

It was serviceable but nothing really stood out. Even the car chases seemed slow/not all that interesting.

Thank Jeeebus, someone else who feels the same about it as me. Worst car chase ever IMHO.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The Big Short - 10/10
This movie was absolutely fantastic. It did an awesome job of explaining what happened with the housing crash in a way most people should be able to understand, but managed to do so without being a boring documentary or a ridiculous dramatization. Christian Bale was excellent, Ryan Gosling was excellent, Brad Pitt was excellent, even Steve Carell was excellent ... and I don't normally like him all that much. Probably my #2 movie from last year behind The Hateful Eight.

American Ultra - 3/10
Trailer made it look like a good Saturday afternoon flick so that's about all I was expecting, but it was below average even for that. This movie was a little like the TV series Chuck ... basically an "asset has been activated" sort of situation. Not the absolute worst movie I've seen, but it was definitely below average. Oddly enough, the one thing I took away from this movie was that Kristen Stewart actually can act a little, she's not as bad as she's looked in about everything else I've seen her in. Won't be watching again, but I won't automatically reject Kristen Stewart stuff going forward.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Spectre

ehh/10

I think that's fair. And fwiw, I can't recall any type of car chase recently that has been worth the price of admission. OK--all of Mad Max; probably why that flick was such a revelation this year.

But other than this one outlier in the last several decades, I think we hit peak car chase ~1997. Ronin was the last one that I recall worth mentioning.

rip

Feb 5, 2000
Serendipity - 8
Watched again last night. A funny little romantic romp but, Kate Beckinsale looking her finest IMO. The music plays along with the movie just right for the romantics and the Bloomingdale's sales man (Eugene Levy) is a crack up.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I think that's fair. And fwiw, I can't recall any type of car chase recently that has been worth the price of admission. OK--all of Mad Max; probably why that flick was such a revelation this year.

But other than this one outlier in the last several decades, I think we hit peak car chase ~1997. Ronin was the last one that I recall worth mentioning.

Like every other Jerry Bruckheimer-produced flick, 2006's Deja Vu was a pretty over-blown but it had a pretty unique car chase. Reminded me a lot of a unique foot chase in another Denzel Washington movie, Fallen, which is right around the "peak" you speak of (1998).

Say what you will about Mel Gibson, but Apocalypto is flat-out one of the best chase-themed movies (no vehicles, of course).

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Like every other Jerry Bruckheimer-produced flick, 2006's Deja Vu was a pretty over-blown but it had a pretty unique car chase. Reminded me a lot of a unique foot chase in another Denzel Washington movie, Fallen, which is right around the "peak" you speak of (1998).

Say what you will about Mel Gibson, but Apocalypto is flat-out one of the best chase-themed movies (no vehicles, of course).

I love Apocalypto and I agree :thumbsup:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Sicario 8.9/10

I like Emily Blunt to begin with, but Benicio really goes mad dog.

The Big Short 8.5/10

I liked it, but did seem like a just really well made documentary about accounting to me at any rate.

If it was done any other way it would have been a lot lower score.

Another twist on Too Big to Fail.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Both awesome; good call.

No matter what you think of the film, Death Proof has one of the greatest car chases of all time. Just incredible.

KT

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

My favorite that always comes to mind was Bad Boys.

"NOW THAT'S HOW YOU DRIVE. FROM NOW ON, THAT'S HOW YOU DRIVE!"

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Terminator Genesys 8/10 Pretty good sequel. A bit predictable but that is to be expected.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Sicario 9/10

I was really stunned at how good this movie was. The tone of the film was a lot like Heat (1994). Very tense from start to finish and nothing is telegraphed. No cheese or cliche in this one, either.

Getting a little geeky, here, but the sound mixing in this was awesome and that was from a DD 5.1 track (Redbox rental). The photography wasn't far behind.

I hadn't even noticed this one in theaters which now seems amazing after the fact.

The Intern 6/10

Watchable with a pretty relaxed feel. No real LOL moments though. Anne Hathaway pulls off the young exec pretty well and I kept thinking "Robert DeNiro is really starting to show some age."

Decent, low-key Rom Com but nothing you want to watch if your SO isn't in tow.

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead - 1.5/10

"Wait, who else have you been dry-humping?"

Want something intentionally disgusting, not high quality in any way, with a plot that could have come right out of a Family Guy episode? Here you go. It was watchable, but it was way below average even for Troma movies, honestly.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead - 1.5/10

"Wait, who else have you been dry-humping?"

Want something intentionally disgusting, not high quality in any way, with a plot that could have come right out of a Family Guy episode? Here you go. It was watchable, but it was way below average even for Troma movies, honestly.

This movie was pretty delightfully disgusting, while being fairly boring.

Thankskilling though, I actually enjoy. Lots of LOL one liners and moments in that. Thankskilling 3 is pretty weird though.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Cartel Land -- 7/10

This is a Netflix documentary on the Autodefensas Group trying to take back the state of Michoacán from the cartels. There's an additional storyline of a Border defense group on the US side protecting the border from illegals/cartels.

The US storyline is pointless and just doesn't tell any story at all. It goes nowhere. It should have just been left out.

The Michoacán side of the story is pretty crazy. However, at the end of it it sorta just implodes on itself and you're left thinking -- wait? WTF just happened? There was some great story to tell here with great and impressive footage, but the way it was wrapped up sorta sucked.

Sep 29, 2004
Just found a best of sci fi list (2015) on polygon.com:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/22/10814624/best-of-2015-science-fiction-and-horror-film

Here's the list:
10) Creep - single white female with dudes? (95% on RT)
9) Predestination - time travel (84% on RT)
8) The Final Girls (72% on RT)
7) What We Do in the Shadows - vampire comedy (96% on RT)
6) The Martian (93% on RT)
5) Hard to Be a God (93% on RT)
4) Spring (89% on RT)
3) Mad Max: Fury Road (97% on RT)
2) It Follows (97% on RT)
1) Ex Machina (92% on RT)

Of the ones I have seen, here's the cliff notes:
The Martian - Act 1: 10/10. Act 2: 10/10, Act 3:
more cliff hangers?
, Act 4: 1/10 Really? ... point is, this movie was awesome for the first half but much like man of Steel, the second half was crap.

Mad Max: Fury Road - don't know what to think. Everything about this movie is good except for the plot.
Let's go from point A to point B and back to point A. It's the dumb and dumber plot but not funny and dragged out
I have a decent Home Entertainment Center (see sig) so I have to say that the audio is amazing. Need to get me an Atmos receiver though. That's where this movie is suppose to really shine.

Ex Machina -7/10 - Good movie that is worth seeing. I found the conclusion to be a bit stupid and there was an excellent plot twist that could have been employed but it was not.

Of the things on the list that I want to see:
Predestination
The Final Girls
What We Do in the Shadows
Hard to Be a God

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
straight outta compton - 10/10 - movie was awesome. i didn't know the story of them because i was too young to realy know what was going on at the time but i was a huge fan of cube and dre when they were solo. i had no clue about the falling out and stuff, and i didnt realize how quick eazy e fell off. the guy who played eazy completely stole the show, he did a great job. just loved the whole vibe to the movie and liked the way they ended it with the credits and the straight outta compton song/video.

the walk - 7/10 - it was a decent movie, the cgi in it was pretty bad though and kept pulling me out of it. i didn't realize it would be so campy and that fake ass french accent was bothering me the whole movie. cool story though and i wished at the end they showed some stuff about the real guy but they didnt.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Just found a best of sci fi list (2015) on polygon.com:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/22/10814624/best-of-2015-science-fiction-and-horror-film

Here's the list:
10) Creep - single white female with dudes? (95% on RT)
9) Predestination - time travel (84% on RT)
8) The Final Girls (72% on RT)
7) What We Do in the Shadows - vampire comedy (96% on RT)
6) The Martian (93% on RT)
5) Hard to Be a God (93% on RT)
4) Spring (89% on RT)
3) Mad Max: Fury Road (97% on RT)
2) It Follows (97% on RT)
1) Ex Machina (92% on RT)

Of the ones I have seen, here's the cliff notes:
The Martian - Act 1: 10/10. Act 2: 10/10, Act 3:
more cliff hangers?
, Act 4: 1/10 Really? ... point is, this movie was awesome for the first half but much like man of Steel, the second half was crap.

Mad Max: Fury Road - don't know what to think. Everything about this movie is good except for the plot.
Let's go from point A to point B and back to point A. It's the dumb and dumber plot but not funny and dragged out
I have a decent Home Entertainment Center (see sig) so I have to say that the audio is amazing. Need to get me an Atmos receiver though. That's where this movie is suppose to really shine.

Ex Machina -7/10 - Good movie that is worth seeing. I found the conclusion to be a bit stupid and there was an excellent plot twist that could have been employed but it was not.

Of the things on the list that I want to see:
Predestination
The Final Girls
What We Do in the Shadows
Hard to Be a God

The Final Girls is OK, not great...it should have been better.
A better surprising movie is Final Girl.
What We Do in Shadows is great

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
OD'd on Batman cartoon movies during the snow in:

- Son of Batman (2014): 9/10
put aside the disbelief that a 10yr old kid has that kind of strength.
I liked the comic relief of the son vs Nightwing.

- Batman vs Robin (2015): 8/10
its Batman vs Court of Owls with Robin being forced to choose sides.
good till the end when Talon (Owl assassin) turns into a stereotypical generic bad guy.
why the build up of his char for 75% of the movie if he's going to turn into this at the end?!?!

-Batman: Bad Blood (2016): 6/10
Mom seemed so loving and caring in Son of Batman.
Now 2yrs later, just kill him and also torture Batman?
I guess it's possible for a person to change their feelings in such a short time frame but I found this meh.

And Batwoman can go toe to toe w/mom but loses easily to Heretic, who was trained by mom?
plus the movie doesn't explain why Onyx is so loyal to Heretic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.