NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 461 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

8/10 Pretty riveting. It's amazing the shit someone who is charged with protection service has to go through.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
when I saw you posted The Bridge I thought you meant the FX one, then I saw the link and it's the european one. the one on FX was terrible. the worst acting i've ever seen on a show from fx. worse than tyrant. i couldn't get passed that and gave up after about 6 or 7 episodes.
I agree with you that Tyrant sucks, but I liked FX's version of The Bridge. Demián Bichir starred, and the guy is real-life soulful good. The acting and script of The Bridge is nowhere near as bad as the shallow, cartoonish Tyrant. It's not even close.

I also have no trouble believing that the original is better, though. I just have no easy access to it or to the other non-American version.

In support of FX's version, it did win the Critics Choice Television Awards as most exciting new series, and a Peabody. Bichir won a best actor award for it from some other awards presenters.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Savages (Oliver Stone, 2012) 8/10

Watched last night. Doesn't put you to sleep. Good casting and acting. Somewhat over the top, I couldn't help thinking that Tarantino and Scorsese probably envied Stone in this, although they are capable of similar.

I don't often research a movie I've decided to take in, don't want to be biased. But in seeing Savages, I was given the choice from the DVD to see the theatrical or the unrated version. So, I looked that up. There was one site (at least) that said the ending was fucked up in both versions. One guy seemed pretty upset about that (the movie is based on a book) and said you should do yourself a favor and when you get to the point in the movie (either version, evidently) where they go "oh, it didn't really happen like that" you should just stop it right there, don't watch the alternate ending. I decided to watch the theatrical version and when it came to the alternate ending, I decided to watch that anyway. I was glad I did. Don't have an opinion about the endings, different versions, I've just watched one version and all the way through.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Martian - 8/10
Scisario (sp?) - 8.5/10. Good enough that I want to see it again.
Mission Impossible rogue nation - 8.5/10. One of the better in the series.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The Shining. 10/10

A Stanley Kubrick classic.

I found this on Reddit and I found his interpretation on the film very interesting.

From Reddit. ..

Okay this is going to be long, maybe a little rambling, and full of SPOILERS.

The interpretation of the ending is going to depend a lot on your interpretation of the film.

For me, the film is primarily about the cycle of violence and how people can be trapped in a cycle that spans generations.

We start off with the story of a previous winter caretaker, Grady, killing his two little girls 'about 8 and 10' his wife, and stacking them neatly in a room and killing himself.

Danny encounters two girls while riding his big wheel but they are twins and are shown strewn across the hallway one facing up one facing down.

Later in the film we meet a Grady in the gold ballroom/red bathroom. This Grady is a waiter, not the winter caretaker. He tells a story about 'correcting' his wife and daughters when they attempted to leave the overlook.

Additionally, early on in the film Wendy tells a story of Jack dislocating Danny's arm after drinking with Wendy concluding it by saying ' ... he hasn't had any alcohol in, uh, five months."

Later in the film Jack tells a similar story to Llyod, the ghost bartender. However, Jack says his story happened 5 years ago.

Kubrick sets up a pattern of repeated stories similar to ones we have heard earlier in the film but with certain details off implying that these stories may not be the same. Instead they may be other instances of violence that establish a cycle of abuse across generations.

Also scattered through out the film are references to violent conflict with Native American's, not only the stories of the actual attacks but visuals like Jack throwing a ball against Native American figures in the lounge similar to an axe swing.

There are many suggestions of Danny being sexually abused by Jack. Danny laying on the bear pillow with his pants removed and hands over his genitals. This imagery is reinforced by the man in the bear outfit performing oral sex on another man at the films climax. There is also Jack and Danny's conversation in the apartment suite with Danny on Jack's lap.

These messages of domestic and sexual violence are reinforced subtle visual through the use of appearing and disappearing props and costumes.

When Danny talks to Tony we see a shot of Danny in the bathroom looking in a mirror (another major motif in the film of truth/reality being revealed in mirrors). The camera pushes in past the door to Danny's bedroom. There is a sticker of Dopey, one of the seven dwarfs, on Danny's bedroom door. Later, after Tony show's Danny something in the mirror, the sticker of Dopey is gone implying Danny has learned something important and is now slightly less innocent.

You can also notice that the bear rug in the Colorado Lounge only appears when Jack is also in the room, linking Jack to the bear/sexual abuse symbolism.

When Wendy first appears in the apartment she is dressed almost identically to a figure of Goofy hanging on Danny's wall. Wendy's 'goody' costume implies her denial of Jack's alcoholism, violent tendencies, and possible sexual abuse of Danny.

You will also notice that, generally, characters that are naive, in denial, or childlike tend be to dressed in a red, white, and blue color palette where as more mature, reality based, adult characters tend to be in earth tones. Jack starts off in earth tones and ends up in red and blue flannel and jeans. Wendy starts in red and blue and end up in earthtones. Danny, being a child, stays mostly in reds and blues but the become more muted or adult throughout the film as he confronts what is happening.

And of course there is the on going images of mazes through out the film starting with the yellow VW Bug winding up the mountain road, the hedge maze itself, the maze like interior of the hotel, the maze like carpet on the second floor that appears to trap Danny while playing with his toys, and the long twisting and turning tracking shots of characters running through the hedge maze as well as the hotel.

So what does all of this have to do with the ending?

Jack's body is trapped, frozen in the hedge maze. Jack's mind is trapped in the maze like Overlook hotel.

Where as Wendy and Danny were able to escape the cycle/maze of violence.

If you accept that the film is primarily examining violence (domestic and against racial/demographic groups), the cycle of violence (the repeated, but slightly altered, stories of child abuse and murder), and the difficulty of escaping this cycle (the maze like interior and exterior of the hotel) then the ending is simply a confirmation that, like Grady, Jack has '... always been here.'

Why is Jack's mind/soul represented by a photo on the wall? Because it is possible that nothing we have watched, especially anything that happens in the hotel, and especially especially anything that happens on the second floor is happening in the real world at all but that we are watching the memories/hallucinations/flashbacks of the main characters. That the hotel is actually the interior of one, or all, of the characters minds.

Evidence that the hotel isn't real:

The layout of the hotel is impossible

The windows in Ullman's office shouldn't exist. There is a hallway and the 'blood' elevator bank directly behind Ullman's office.Background characters enter from unseen doors at the end of tour of the Colorado LoungeHalloran, Wendy, and Jack enter the freeze from a door on the right side of the hall but exit from a door across the hall along the left hand side.We never see how the Gold room or the apartment connect to the lobby/Colorado Lounge.The apartment has a line of windows in the living room and bedroom that should not exist. Based on exterior shots and when Wendy drops Danny out of the bathroom window the other windows should all be along an interior, windowless wall.The Red bathroom seems like it should be occupying the same space as the Gold ballroom.The entrance to the Maze is never the same twice.

Objects do impossible things

The bear rug in the Colorado lounge appears and disappears, as does the drift wood sculpture.other chairs and props appear/disappear sometimes within the same scene. Jack's typewriter changes models when he argues with Wendy in the Colorado Lounge. The chair behind Jack appears and disappears in the same scene. This implies that the argument with Wendy might not even be real but simply a hallucenation of what Jack wish's he had said to Wendy but only imagined it.
The TV in the Colorado Lounge is not plugged in.All the furniture under the pictures shown at the end of the film has moved out of the way.

The second floor might not be real

Wendy never is never actually seen on the second floor (she comes close when attacking Jack with the baseball bat but never makes it)There are numerous 'impossible' doors on the second floor.When Danny goes to get his fire truck we see him a few scenes later on the second floor with all the toys he had while playing in front of the TV in the Colorado lounge but the firetruck is missing. This implies the scene is actually a flashback/memory of possible sexual abuse of Danny by Jack when Danny goes for the firetruck, sits on Jack's lap, and the returns to the Colorado Lounge with his clothing torn.Jack has disturbing vision in the bathroom of beautiful woman revealed to be a rotting body when viewed in the mirror, similar to Danny's vision of something in the bathroom mirror at the beginning of the film.When Jack leaves room 327 the hallway lights are out, Jack backs away in darkness, implying he denies the vision in the bathroom, a vision of sexual desire revealed to be something horrific and repulsive (such as molestation)

When ever Danny rides his big wheel there is always exit on the right

When Danny sees the Twins in the hallway there is an exit on the right side of the hallwayWhen Danny first confronts room 237 there is an exit on the right side of the hallwayWhen Danny escapes Jack in the maze in the finale he jump through the opening on the right.
Is this foreshadowing or a memory/plan of escape?

Other weird stuff

Jack is reading a PlayGirl magazine in the hotel lobbyWhenever Danny stops in the kitchen there are always a set of knives over his headWhat's with all the signs/reminders, almost like thought bubbles, every where?A car is scene driving directly at the entire family as they cross from the maze back to the hotel on the initial tour. The car never stops instead we just cut away second before the family would have been struck.Jack's 'stare' implies him drifting off into thought/fantasy turning large portions of the film into possible fantasies/hallucinations. We actively see this in the Gold room bar Lloyd scene were he 'stares' just before seeing Lloyd and seems to shake himself from though when Wendy enters screaming. Also, jack 'stares' again when Wendy visits to see how the work is going. Wendy walks up, Jack stares, the typewriter changes, a chair disappears, and the research book next to him flips to another page. After Jack blows up at Wendy the typewriter, chair, and book all return and Wendy acts as if nothing happened implying it all happened in Jack's mind.Jack slams the tennis ball on the floor of the lobby near a Mickey Mouse doll laying face down in a similar spot/position as Hallorann after he is killed.Jack slams a tennis ball against the Indian figures in the Colorado Lounge similar to his axe swing at the bathroom door.The only character we ever actually see working to take care of the hotel is Wendy.

Overall the film is insanely dense, re-watchable, and open to an amazing amount of interpretation depending on what you see as important, symbolic, and real.

What does the ending mean? Ultimately, the genius of The Shining is that the ending can mean almost anything you want it to mean.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Ant man - 7.5/10 - enjoyable enough but it's basically "honey I shrunk the kid 2015" Marvel edition?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Shining. 10/10

Why did you delete all of that? Some good stuff in there.

This is a favourite of mine, so any speculation/introspection is very welcome.

KT

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Why did you delete all of that? Some good stuff in there.

This is a favourite of mine, so any speculation/introspection is very welcome.

KT
I didn't write it and I thought nobody would be interested. I will repost it. I found it on Reddit.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I agree with you that Tyrant sucks, but I liked FX's version of The Bridge. Demián Bichir starred, and the guy is real-life soulful good. The acting and script of The Bridge is nowhere near as bad as the shallow, cartoonish Tyrant. It's not even close.

I also have no trouble believing that the original is better, though. I just have no easy access to it or to the other non-American version.

In support of FX's version, it did win the Critics Choice Television Awards as most exciting new series, and a Peabody. Bichir won a best actor award for it from some other awards presenters.

i liked tyrant. i've accepted that the acting, budget, and set is really bad in it, and that the story is so far fetched, and that they don't speak english over there and it would be so much better if it was subtitled, but i still like it for what it is. i realize it's not a great show by any means, but i still like it for what it is.

i didn't like the bridge at all and think the acting in the bridge worse than tyrant, or it may be just as bad because tyrant is really bad acting.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ted 2 - 8/10 - this movie was basically exactly more of the same. if you didnt like part 1 you won't like this, if you did like part 1 you will like this. same old fart jokes and family guy humor. but it is just funny and had me lol'ing a few times. the 'jurassic park' part i think was one of my favorite parts in the movie lol. so dumb but it was just funny and so unexpected. quite a few cameo's too that were pretty good and unexpected, and dumb as shit but funny.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
The Shining. 10/10

Just watched this for the first time as an adult, fantastic movie. I had seen it at some point when I was barely a teenager, but I was too young to really get into it or appreciate the film making.

The one iffy part that stood out to me was
the room of skeletons
, that moment felt like it could have been in the Goosebumps TV show.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Just watched this for the first time as an adult, fantastic movie. I had seen it at some point when I was barely a teenager, but I was too young to really get into it or appreciate the film making.

The one iffy part that stood out to me was
the room of skeletons
, that moment felt like it could have been in the Goosebumps TV show.

Lol good spoiler

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Man of Steel - 6.5/10 - Way too much CGI + shit blowing up. Almost felt like a Transformers film.

Apr 21, 2012
The Revenant - 4/10 - for a movie based on an actual historical happening.....it seemed to just ignore history and make up whatever seemed nice
The Martian - 6/10 - the plot didn't seem like it brought anything new to the table. It was like Castaway + Red Planet or something
Hateful Eight - 6/10 - kind of slow, I liked Django unchained alot more even if you leave out the action sequence at the end of Django.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
13 HOURS.
This certainly wasn't a "get Hillary" film in any way to me.
If anything, this was a "that is what our ignorant voting public risk when electing a Bush, followed by messing around where we need not be in the first place", film.

Say we turn the tables...
If "they" were over "here" in our streets with guns and their own version of the CIA hiding in some Muslim religious Mosque, wouldn't we pretty much do the same thing?
No one wants people, armed people, foreigners, walking our street or messing in our politics and imposing their way of life onto our way of life, now do we?
In America, we go as far as to challenge Muslim and their religious Mosque simply because they build too close to the world trade center. So why do we feel they should welcome us and accept us running around covertly over in their neck of the woods?
Especially as armed intruders?
We would tolerate that over here. No... we don't.

What I took away from this film, which wasn't that good or well made in the first place, and reminded me of the LEFT BEHIND series with poor acting, bad actors, silly dialog, and grossly twisted ideology, what I took away was this big middle eastern mess that has been ongoing ever since we invented sliced bread.
A mess we should have LEFT BEHIND in the first place.

This film only goes to prove how GW Bush and Dick Cheney completely and thoroughly unhinged the middle east by forcing American involvement.
Very little if anything at all to do with Obama, Hillary, or their policy.
Watching this film, I would feel like yelling at GW Bush and Dick Cheney and all those Bush administration war hawks for creating this mess before placing some misdirected blame upon Hillary Clinton.

And the telling scene for me was near the very end.
When all the grieving women and children were weeping and morning over their dead.
No doubt those fighting men by their people were considered heroes and patriots defending their homeland just as we would feel about our people defending our homeland against unwelcome intrusion.

A Hillary hit job? I didn't see it.
We should have never been involved in the first place.
And that original sin goes back to another administration far proceeding our current one.
If I felt like kicking ass over Benghazi, it would be kicking the ass of GW B. and old Dick C.
And God forbid another republican president should be elected this November.
That would ensure this Benghazi will not be our last Benghazi.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2012
I'm sorry, was that supposed to be a movie review or a political rant?

I didn't understand half of what you said.

Back on the original topic, watched Bridge of Spies: I'll go 8/10 - it was pretty good, not sure how accurate it was because I haven't read the book but it sounded like it was accurate (maybe a bit condensed). Seems the guy went through some crazy stuff.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
13 HOURS.
A Hillary hit job? I didn't see it.
We should have never been involved in the first place.
And that original sin goes back to another administration far proceeding our current one.
If I felt like kicking ass over Benghazi, it would be kicking the ass of GW B. and old Dick C.
And God forbid another republican president should be elected this November.
That would ensure this Benghazi will not be our last Benghazi.
"Involvement?" It was an embassy with personnel, not a military operation. Not to defend Michael Bay's terrible movie making, but it was not retaliation for American operations in Benghazi Lybia. Laughable. The "operation" was staffing an embassy which is not a military operation. Do you even know what an embassy is?

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Does anyone watch Kingdom? I think I might have mentioned this once before. It's about MMA fighting in California. It's only on Directv's Audience network so if you don't have directv you have to find it "elsewhere."

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I'm sorry, was that supposed to be a movie review or a political rant?

I didn't understand half of what you said.

Back on the original topic, watched Bridge of Spies: I'll go 8/10 - it was pretty good, not sure how accurate it was because I haven't read the book but it sounded like it was accurate (maybe a bit condensed). Seems the guy went through some crazy stuff.

apparently that film was so accurate, that him having his jacket stolen was a major discrepancy.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Beyond The Reach http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2911668/reference

watch the trailer first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qlFGI5n_C8

Michael Douglas being bad and a guy called Jeremy Irvine being the good guy.

People who enjoyed the visuals in Hateful 8 will be right at home with the gorgeous landscapes; people who likewise had issues with the plot will probably not enjoy this.
IMDb currently at 5.5/10, i would go lower and say 5/10 - the photography is exquisite, but the film is just too long and boring and the story is pointless.

Also, the trailer spoils practically everything of the film. I was expecting .. that bit which they show in the trailer .. to be the starting point of the film; no, it's the whole film. The other half hour which follows is essentially more of the same, with a quick and completely idiotic finale.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I've been watching a Swedish show called 100 Code. It seems like the Swedish version of The Fall but with an element of the US show The Following.

I stopped watchin the Following after the first season. It was just too stupid. But there are some elements that were promising and these get included in 100 Code.

It's unlike the Fall in that there are different cases every episode or two but they are all focused on a bigger objective, which you get clued into fairly early on.

I'd say it's mostly in English but there are also a lot of subtitles.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
Love the Beast 2009 - 8/10 - This is more of a documentary than a movie in my opinion, its about a Ford Falcon AB that is owned by Eric Bana. It's about him taking his first dream car, and racing it in the Targa Tasmania Rally, and then wrecking it.

It's got some short interviews in it with Jeremy Clarkson, and Jay Leno. Definitely worth watching if you are into cars at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSq0RfI7ZJU

Here is a follow up video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdjwZAAup1M

Status
Not open for further replies.