NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 460 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Revenant 9/10

From the middle of the movie on, you had a pretty good idea of what was going to happen, but I didn't mind at all since each part was so engaging. Even the relatively quiet/boring parts were interesting and made you feel part of what was happening.

This reminded me of some of Clint Eastwoods best spaghetti Westerns in the sense that you knew they were going to follow a certain formula, but you didn't care because the plot line was almost incidental.

I also liked the fact that apart from the hero, there weren't really any good guys. Well, there were a couple. But essentially everyone was a bastard but you could understand why they were bastards.

The only reason I don't give it 10 of 10 is because the essential story is a pretty familiar one. But I liked everything else. Even the panorama scenes helped to give you a feeling of the vastness of the wilderness.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
You gotta be kidding me. Those theatrical trailers made it look FUCKING AMAZING.

On that point: In the theatrical trailers, I noticed the horse had arrows in its rump as it runs off the cliff. In the YouTube version of that trailer, there are no arrows. In the movie, the arrows were there.

Damn. Now I have to see it. My wife and I both agreed the trailers made the movie look like it had no idea what it wanted to be. Looked a lot like True Grit but in a completely different setting.

Oh well. If it's as good as you say then it'll be worth it in the end.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Damn. Now I have to see it. My wife and I both agreed the trailers made the movie look like it had no idea what it wanted to be. Looked a lot like True Grit but in a completely different setting.

Oh well. If it's as good as you say then it'll be worth it in the end.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's definitely my kind of movie.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
That ping noise? Boy, I don't remember that at all. I guess I could see being annoyed though if you were not into the movie.

KT

It'd be about the same tone as the ping except it was a constant ... it did fade in and out occasionally, but wasn't a ping. My wife is hyper-sensitive to that kind of stuff because of her tinnitus. Normally it doesn't bother me, but this one went on for so long it was driving me nuts.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Watched The Fall (season 2) - 9/10: Yeah, it probably was even better than season 1, which is surprising because I thought the way the story was progressing there was no way it could be. Looks like there may be a season 3 as well; can't wait! Gillian Anderson rules; such an awesome character!

I am also about 3 episodes into The Bridge (Bron/Broen): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/?ref_=nv_sr_1 which is great! The two leads are excellent and it's a cool procedural/mystery. Really digging it.

KT

Probably will be watching The Fall myself soon.

I've always had a thing for Gillian, and just not a show I have watched yet I guess.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched Bridge Of Spies http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3682448/reference

bad choice;

Tom Hanks plays a role very similar to Charlie Wilson, in the lawyer James Donovan, who is defending russian spy Rudolf Abel during the cold war, in particular the U-2 incident. This is a Steven Spielberg film.

Ok, so first of all, i know the story already. I know about the Berlin wall, the U-2 spy missions, communist witch-hunts, the Bridge of Spies, an'all that.
Tom Hanks is good, but he needs to be in a more .. fantastic environment, to deliver a good story.

Much of the supporting cast adheres to very specific, historically accurate characters, which again makes for an unexciting film. Sets are .. boring. Lighting is boring. Most of this film is boring, unnecessarily slow, and more boring.

Or, you can look at this as a great documentary about the cold war.

Pick your vote, 5/10 or 7/10 depending on how much you know and how much you expect.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Intouchables (or Untouchable) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/reference

9/10

no reason to spoil anything. excellent film who steers far away from the usual soppy and banal storytelling, and delivers a great feeling without beating you over the head with "the message".

afaik, only available in the original French with subtitles, and you wouldn't want it any other way.

midwestfisherman

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2003
Sicario 8.5/10
This was a lot different than I anticipated from the previews. It was very good overall. The ending wasn't what I expected at all. That's why I gave it the 8.5. I think with a different ending it would be closer to a 10/10.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The Last Witchhunter - 6/10[\b] - not the best fantasy movie and it was rather predictable. It has Jon Snows GF in it as well, and she doesn't tell anyone they know nothing.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Sicario 8.5/10
This was a lot different than I anticipated from the previews. It was very good overall. The ending wasn't what I expected at all. That's why I gave it the 8.5. I think with a different ending it would be closer to a 10/10.

I thought the ending was what made it good.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Finished season 1 of The Bridge (9.5/10): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/ Incredible show! Loved it. The characters were awesome plus it was fun working through the case with them. So pissed the second season is not on Netflix. :\

Started watching Psych. I thought the pilot was decent enough, but the next episode was not very good at all. Two episodes in and it's pretty darn cheesy; not sure I will stick with it.

KT

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
when I saw you posted The Bridge I thought you meant the FX one, then I saw the link and it's the european one. the one on FX was terrible. the worst acting i've ever seen on a show from fx. worse than tyrant. i couldn't get passed that and gave up after about 6 or 7 episodes.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Finished season 1 of The Bridge (9.5/10): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/ Incredible show! Loved it. The characters were awesome plus it was fun working through the case with them. So pissed the second season is not on Netflix. :\

Started watching Psych. I thought the pilot was decent enough, but the next episode was not very good at all. Two episodes in and it's pretty darn cheesy; not sure I will stick with it.

KT

Psych is a cheesy campy show, but it has quite a bit of charm. i would say it is kind of like Chuck. It is like most procedurals where the 'same' thing happens every episode though. Something to watch here or there. Funny thing is those 2 make cameos together in all sorts of movies and tv shows since the series ended.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
i watched Bridge Of Spies http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3682448/reference

bad choice;

Tom Hanks plays a role very similar to Charlie Wilson, in the lawyer James Donovan, who is defending russian spy Rudolf Abel during the cold war, in particular the U-2 incident. This is a Steven Spielberg film.

Ok, so first of all, i know the story already. I know about the Berlin wall, the U-2 spy missions, communist witch-hunts, the Bridge of Spies, an'all that.
Tom Hanks is good, but he needs to be in a more .. fantastic environment, to deliver a good story.

Much of the supporting cast adheres to very specific, historically accurate characters, which again makes for an unexciting film. Sets are .. boring. Lighting is boring. Most of this film is boring, unnecessarily slow, and more boring.

Or, you can look at this as a great documentary about the cold war.

Pick your vote, 5/10 or 7/10 depending on how much you know and how much you expect.

I'd still give it a 7/10, but I went in expecting it to be Charlie Wilsons War II myself.

I wouldn't say there was anything really award worthy there, but enjoyed it.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
when I saw you posted The Bridge I thought you meant the FX one, then I saw the link and it's the european one. the one on FX was terrible. the worst acting i've ever seen on a show from fx. worse than tyrant. i couldn't get passed that and gave up after about 6 or 7 episodes.

Haha, ok good to know. Was considering checking it out to see what it was was like, but maybe I will spend my time on something else. The Euro one is great, you should give it a shot.

KT

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Mark Hamill for an Oscar for star wars!
so dramatic was his few silent sec on the screen.

hey, others have won w/less screen time :eek:

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005

I LOVE the Swedish/Danish version so I started the FX remake and I agree, it's pretty awful.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I LOVE the Swedish/Danish version so I started the FX remake and I agree, it's pretty awful.
The UK/French remake is much better. It's called The Tunnel since the first victim is found midway between England and France. It diverges from the FX version in a number of ways but the overall arch of the story is similar. My guess is that it probably follows the original version more closely. Half of it is in subtitles though.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i would really like you all to try to watch Intouchables, it's an astounding film.

spoilers: is does NOT play the sob story of the crippled guy, and it does not either play the sob story of the ghetto black who is a criminal becuz black ppl mmk?

watch it, it's awe inspiring.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
i would really like you all to try to watch Intouchables, it's an astounding film.

spoilers: is does NOT play the sob story of the crippled guy, and it does not either play the sob story of the ghetto black who is a criminal becuz black ppl mmk?

watch it, it's awe inspiring.

That is why I have always skipped it. That and the fact the cover art seems to support that type of story. It's always looked so unappealing to me, but I will try to check it out based on your recommendation.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.