NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 459 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I've seen two different trailers for The Revenant. one was when we saw Creed, the other was before Hunger Games. Both trailers made that movie look stupid and bad. But it's actually really good? Like for real? Do I have to eat my own opinion and see this movie?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've seen two different trailers for The Revenant. one was when we saw Creed, the other was before Hunger Games. Both trailers made that movie look stupid and bad. But it's actually really good? Like for real? Do I have to eat my own opinion and see this movie?
I think it's an excellent movie (apparently critics and movie-goers do too) but if you thought it looked stupid and bad after seeing two trailers for it, I doubt you'd like the full movie anyway.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I think it's an excellent movie (apparently critics and movie-goers do too) but if you thought it looked stupid and bad after seeing two trailers for it, I doubt you'd like the full movie anyway.

Yep, all of this.

KT

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Quite honestly it is RIDICULOUS that The Martian, Joy, The big Short were in the Comedy category. I don't even know how the people involved with those movies can accept the nomination, let alone winning the award with a clear conscious.

2015 was a weak year for comedies, that's for sure. But Inside Out was a FANTASTIC and a TRUE comedy (animated, but a comedy nonetheless).

I really hate award shows in general, but now I just hate them even more.

Edit: and for what it's worth, if we're going to toss The Martian etc in as a comedy, then The Force Awakens should have been in there too. And it was WAY funnier than all of them combined.

tumblr_nzqeahO4Br1rj8mcho1_500.jpg

I think Joy passes as a comedy. it was too..."unserious" to be a solid drama.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Inside Out was decent, but I don't think of it really as a comedy. However, it was far from Pixar's best work.

I also don't understand the Martian hate that seems to be around these parts. I thought it was fantastic, and was funnier than any of the actual (admittedly few) comedies I've seen this year.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I can highly recommend the Australian series Rake. 8/10

It's going on it's fourth season and I think it's a wonderful show. A US network tried to do a remake of it (same name) but it wasn't nearly as good and only lasted one season.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The Revenant - 6/10

If anything this movie made me more curious to see Man in the Wilderness (1971). It tells the same story basically, which I do think is a good one ... but The Revenant just felt like it dragged on far too long. It was filmed like they were trying for cinematography awards rather than making the best movie they possibly could.

yeah they could have cut 30 minutes out of the Revenant and it would have been fine. agreed about cinematography awards, it felt that way 100%

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Watched The Two Faces of January on Netflix, it's a pretty standard thriller, but between the cast and the setting it works well. It kept reminding me of The Talented Mr. Ripley, and as it turns out, they were both adapted from the work of the same author. I don't think this is as good as The Talented Mr. Ripley, but it's entertaining if you're a fan of the genre.

On the subject, I coincidentally saw The American Friend not too long ago, which is another movie adapted from the author and featuring the Tom Ripley character. It's another thriller, but it focuses just as much on character and atmosphere, so the pace is a bit slower. The movie shifts between English and German, but it's mostly English from what I remember. It's a fairly unique little movie with a wonderfully dark atmosphere, helped along by a great score. I'd recommend it, especially if your into movies of the 1970's.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

You gotta be kidding me. Those theatrical trailers made it look FUCKING AMAZING.

On that point: In the theatrical trailers, I noticed the horse had arrows in its rump as it runs off the cliff. In the YouTube version of that trailer, there are no arrows. In the movie, the arrows were there.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
You gotta be kidding me. Those theatrical trailers made it look FUCKING AMAZING.

On that point: In the theatrical trailers, I noticed the horse had arrows in its rump as it runs off the cliff. In the YouTube version of that trailer, there are no arrows. In the movie, the arrows were there.

Can't believe they killed two horses for that scene instead of just one.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

It was one of the TV spots with break-neck pacing that blew me away.

Edit: This one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.