NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 458 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I think it's kind of shitty for the rest of the actual comedies though. They do not get much recognition elsewhere, so it sucks that they lose some here to a film like The Martian.

KT

what, "I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this" isn't lulz enough for you?

:sneaky:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
A Space Pirate FTW.

they-say-once-you-grow-crops-somewhere-youve-officially-colonized-it.png

:cool:

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Weird, did not notice that noise at all. Guess I was just wrapped up in what was happening on screen?

KT

It was when
Leo & the captain were going up the mountain to find Fitzgerald. I believe it started right after they split and didn't stop until Leo cornered Fitzgerald.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Also what other movie would you rather have win the comedy category? I haven't seen Joy (not sure if I will, depends on my wife) or the Big Short (hopefully Friday, if nothing pops up), but neither Spy nor Trainwreck deserved it. Trainwreck was okay as a rom-com, but that means it's not award material. Spy was just ... well, it had Melissa McCarthy and Jason Statham. It did not exceed those expections.

IMO the Martian was the logical choice.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
The Girl Next Door (2007) -- 6/10

This ain't the one with Elisha Cuthbert. It's inspired by the real-life torture and murder of Sylvia Likens in 1965. Pretty rugged torture but it's not as graphic as it could be, thankfully. Not a great movie really but it sure makes you feel for what happened to that girl, and you wish you could do the same thing do the woman that did that to her (Gertrude Baniszewski).

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
what, "I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this" isn't lulz enough for you?

:sneaky:

Haha, yeah, not great. Those types of lines worked way better in the book for some reason.

It was when
Leo & the captain were going up the mountain to find Fitzgerald. I believe it started right after they split and didn't stop until Leo cornered Fitzgerald.

Huh, don't recall. I'll have to keep my ears open next time I watch it.

KT

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Also what other movie would you rather have win the comedy category? I haven't seen Joy (not sure if I will, depends on my wife) or the Big Short (hopefully Friday, if nothing pops up), but neither Spy nor Trainwreck deserved it. Trainwreck was okay as a rom-com, but that means it's not award material. Spy was just ... well, it had Melissa McCarthy and Jason Statham. It did not exceed those expections.

IMO the Martian was the logical choice.

Just because the options aren't great doesn't mean you shoehorn a movie that doesn't fit into the category.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
so what explanation did the Golden Globe people give for putting the Martian in comedy/musical instead of Drama category?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I actually thought Spy was pretty funny. Have not seen Trainwreck; I don't like Amy Schumer. Joy looks awful. The Big Short was easily the best of the lot and was more of a comedy than The Martian, though neither of them were truly comedies.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
so what explanation did the Golden Globe people give for putting the Martian in comedy/musical instead of Drama category?

The Martian peeps submitted it for that category. The HFPA just went with it.

KT

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Ok so I kind of parked my ass in theaters over the holidays...

The Revenant - 9/10

The cinematography and Dicaprio's acting were the standouts for me. I mean this was just a gorgeously shot picture under almost inhumane circumstances and he played the part balls out. One of the few people who got an award last night that earned it.

Sisters - 6.5/10

Pretty forgettable but at times diverting comedy. John Cena has been doing some nice bit work. Nice seeing so much SNL cast in one place.

The Big Short - 8/10

Solid film and loved Steve Carell's performance. The storytelling was a bit unconventional but I liked the vignettes where smart and hot people combined powers to explain stuff that would put most Americans to sleep.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Quite honestly it is RIDICULOUS that The Martian, Joy, The big Short were in the Comedy category. I don't even know how the people involved with those movies can accept the nomination, let alone winning the award with a clear conscious.

2015 was a weak year for comedies, that's for sure. But Inside Out was a FANTASTIC and a TRUE comedy (animated, but a comedy nonetheless).

I really hate award shows in general, but now I just hate them even more.

Edit: and for what it's worth, if we're going to toss The Martian etc in as a comedy, then The Force Awakens should have been in there too. And it was WAY funnier than all of them combined.

tumblr_nzqeahO4Br1rj8mcho1_500.jpg

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
What I've heard of this makes me think it can be compared to Inside Job (2010) (which I thought was pretty damn amazing). Is that true and if so, how do they compare? Of course, Inside Job is a documentary.

I haven't seen Inside Job so I can't say. It's not currently on Netflix or any premium channel On Demand, so it may be a while before I do.

I'll stand by my (subjective) 10/10 because that was my experience, the ever elusive experience of having your inner critic silenced while being wholly drawn into a flick . . . the holy grail, the suspension of disbelief.

But I don't disagree with these two critiques:

It also did not do a great job of creating an emotional hook, which is fine with me if they would have ignored it completely, but they tried to shoehorn something in with Carrell's character and it just rang kind of false for me.
KT

i'm sorry to say that steve carrell just doesn't do it for me. not sure if he think he's expressive, but to me he just looks like a guy staring ahead and acting all autistic.

also a minor subplot could have been left out as it adds nothing to the mix.

I feel about Steve Carrell as a dramatic actor like I feel about Paul Giamatti. I don't at all understand the hype. Both seem to model mediocrity to me. <shrug>

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
So they could win

Yep.

The last season of her show had a ton of good bits in it, imho.

OK Perk, I will check that out after work.

Quite honestly it is RIDICULOUS that The Martian, Joy, The big Short were in the Comedy category. I don't even know how the people involved with those movies can accept the nomination, let alone winning the award with a clear conscious.

2015 was a weak year for comedies, that's for sure. But Inside Out was a FANTASTIC and a TRUE comedy (animated, but a comedy nonetheless).

I really hate award shows in general, but now I just hate them even more.

Edit: and for what it's worth, if we're going to toss The Martian etc in as a comedy, then The Force Awakens should have been in there too. And it was WAY funnier than all of them combined.

tumblr_nzqeahO4Br1rj8mcho1_500.jpg

Inside Out looks painfully unfunny. I agree with you in general though.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.