NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 457 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Revenant - 9.5/10: Awesome. Gorgeous and very tense. Amazing job by Leo, but everyone else was great too. My boy Tom Hardy, excellent as always. Only thing that seemed a bit weird to me was:

Spoiler
It seemed odd that only Leo and the Captain or whatever would go after Fitzgerald. When they know he has already killed and stolen, plus is totally desperate, you would think they'd take at least a couple more dudes. I guess it was just to serve the ending, so that's fine, it just did not feel quite right to me.
Spoiler

Awesome flick though. Hope Leo wins at the Oscars!

KT

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The Revenant - 9.5/10: Awesome. Gorgeous and very tense. Amazing job by Leo, but everyone else was great too. My boy Tom Hardy, excellent as always. Only thing that seemed a bit weird to me was:

Spoiler

It seemed odd that only Leo and the Captain or whatever would go after Fitzgerald. When they know he has already killed and stolen, plus is totally desperate, you would think they'd take at least a couple more dudes. I guess it was just to serve the ending, so that's fine, it just did not feel quite right to me.

Spoiler

Awesome flick though. Hope Leo wins at the Oscars!

KT

I think the others went to go intercept Fitzgerald thinking that he really was going the other way as if to re-enlist. They should have made Fitzgerald set the outpost on fire or something to preoccupy a few more of the men.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Trainwreck - 6/10 : hilarious up until like the half hour point. Once John Cena is out of the movie, it is terrible. No longer funny and no longer good. I will say John Cena is hilarious.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Man, this "The Martian is a comedy" nonsense really worked for them.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah, pretty tame. Glad Leo won; got the long standing o too!

KT

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Sicario 8/10 - Solid film throughout. Would like to give it a 9, but the very last scene was a bit off for me. Everyone performed great.

Ex Machina 8/10 - Another solid winner. Kind of a WTF ending. But what put me off is the color grading. It's not 2007 anymore, please stop using color grading to get that indie vibe. I know they did try to be a little different in color grading, using different color temp lights, but just stop it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
you guys talking about golden globes?

all i saw was Gervais introducing Mel Gibson...which was awesome.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Sicario 8/10 - Solid film throughout. Would like to give it a 9, but the very last scene was a bit off for me. Everyone performed great.

Ex Machina 8/10 - Another solid winner. Kind of a WTF ending. But what put me off is the color grading. It's not 2007 anymore, please stop using color grading to get that indie vibe. I know they did try to be a little different in color grading, using different color temp lights, but just stop it.
I've never once associated color grading with indie films, besides, Ex Machina has a pretty natural color palette compared to many movies these days.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

I thought the last scene was strange, especially considering what happened at the end of the tunnel.
I really thought del Toro was going to come back and kill her after she pointed the gun at him again.

I've never once associated color grading with indie films, besides, Ex Machina has a pretty natural color palette compared to many movies these days.

I agree on the indie part, but I thought Ex Machina was a bit over the top with the colors.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
The Hateful 8 7/10
I'm not a Tarantino whore but I do like his movies. Like all his movies this is extremely well shot and with great acting and dialog but the story wasn't great or maybe just too long imo. Now on a second viewing I may change my mind. I didn't love Jackie Brown at first either but now I think it is one of his best. For now I'd it put down at Death Proof's level which I've also only seen once. Still a good movie and worth watching.

I watched Redlettermedia's review of the movie right after and they also review Adam Sandler's Ridiculous 6 at the same time. Found it very interesting that Taratino's cost $44 million and Sandler's POS cost $60 million, amazing.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The movie makes use of colored lighting, but the color grading is quite subtle in my opinion.

I may have to rewatch it (it's been awhile), but every scene that didn't have a colored light used a fair amount of color grading if I remember.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Man, this "The Martian is a comedy" nonsense really worked for them.

KT

The wife and I wondered about that one a bit myself, but yeah it worked out.

Was a lot of comedy in it actually.

Probably grinned and chuckled myself in several spots more than at most "Comedy" movies these days.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I think the others went to go intercept Fitzgerald thinking that he really was going the other way as if to re-enlist. They should have made Fitzgerald set the outpost on fire or something to preoccupy a few more of the men.

Ah ok, I guessed I missed that. Thanks for clarifying. Still a bit odd to me, but not a huge deal.

KT

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The Revenant - 6/10
This movie falls into the category of movies that I thought was good, but I have problems, and I will never watch it again.

1) This is one of the more "gross" movies I've ever seen.
When he drinks water for the first time and it gargles out of his throat hole ... ugh. Yuck. Or when he gunpowders his wound to cauterize it shut. ACK!

2) Toward the end, there's a high pitched screeching sound that's supposed to make it tense, and it went on for 3-5 minutes. It was bothering me to the point where I wish we could have muted. My wife has tinnitus and she had to plug her ears because it was actually painful. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be fired from the sound team.

3) Leo did a great job, but I didn't need to hear him breathe the entire movie.

4) The timing could use some work.
So one minute he struggles to even breathe and the next minute he's fine crawling his way to safety and then he's almost dead again when the Indian guy builds a lean-to for him to rest up for a day or two, and then suddenly he can walk with a stick and then a day or two later he can chase a guy down a mountain?

If anything this movie made me more curious to see Man in the Wilderness (1971). It tells the same story basically, which I do think is a good one ... but The Revenant just felt like it dragged on far too long. It was filmed like they were trying for cinematography awards rather than making the best movie they possibly could.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The wife and I wondered about that one a bit myself, but yeah it worked out.

Was a lot of comedy in it actually.

Probably laughed myself in several spots more than at most "Comedy" movies these days.

I think it's kind of shitty for the rest of the actual comedies though. They do not get much recognition elsewhere, so it sucks that they lose some here to a film like The Martian.

KT

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
you guys talking about golden globes?

all i saw was Gervais introducing Mel Gibson...which was awesome.

Watching some of the YouTube highlights atm myself.

Didn't watch it at the time.

The opening is pretty funny so far actually.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Revenant - 6/10
This movie falls into the category of movies that I thought was good, but I have problems, and I will never watch it again.

1) This is one of the more "gross" movies I've ever seen.
When he drinks water for the first time and it gargles out of his throat hole ... ugh. Yuck. Or when he gunpowders his wound to cauterize it shut. ACK!

2) Toward the end, there's a high pitched screeching sound that's supposed to make it tense, and it went on for 3-5 minutes. It was bothering me to the point where I wish we could have muted. My wife has tinnitus and she had to plug her ears because it was actually painful. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be fired from the sound team.

3) Leo did a great job, but I didn't need to hear him breathe the entire movie.

4) The timing could use some work.
So one minute he struggles to even breathe and the next minute he's fine crawling his way to safety and then he's almost dead again when the Indian guy builds a lean-to for him to rest up for a day or two, and then suddenly he can walk with a stick and then a day or two later he can chase a guy down a mountain?

If anything this movie made me more curious to see Man in the Wilderness (1971). It tells the same story basically, which I do think is a good one ... but The Revenant just felt like it dragged on far too long. It was filmed like they were trying for cinematography awards rather than making the best movie they possibly could.

Weird, did not notice that noise at all. Guess I was just wrapped up in what was happening on screen?

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.