NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 455 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah I keep meaning to watch that one. Those seasons are super short as I recall.

KT

3 or 4 episodes, but each is 1.5-2 hours long.

I loved the first season of Luther, don't think I went beyond the first episode of the 2nd season. no real reason: burnout, maybe? It's still probably very good

I keep trying to watch more british shows, especially crime dramas, but I am noticing some obnoxious and somewhat disturbing/lazy common themes in all of them (past experience + recently trying to start The Fall and this UKHBO miniseries about some mom that goes missing in her car):

--Every unfamiliar male that every protagonist encounters, is pretty much a rapist. Don't talk to that jogger, kids--he's probably a rapist! And they are presented as such. In these worlds, it is never possible for a stranger to stop and say: Um, maybe I should call the police to help these lost kids? Nah--I'm gonna creep out on them!

--CCTV. I get that it's a fact of UK life and is actually a decent subject from certain themes, but when it comes to detective and crime stories, it's just a tool that is either exploited to the point that investigation is pointless because you just look at the video data or--surprise! there isn't video of that specific angle! ahhhh!
Also, it never fails that you spend an episode or so of flailing about before one brilliant cop finally announces, "Hey! We should check the CCTV!"
derp.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
3 or 4 episodes, but each is 1.5-2 hours long.

I loved the first season of Luther, don't think I went beyond the first episode of the 2nd season. no real reason: burnout, maybe? It's still probably very good

I keep trying to watch more british shows, especially crime dramas, but I am noticing some obnoxious and somewhat disturbing/lazy common themes in all of them (past experience + recently trying to start The Fall and this UKHBO miniseries about some mom that goes missing in her car):

--Every unfamiliar male that every protagonist encounters, is pretty much a rapist. Don't talk to that jogger, kids--he's probably a rapist! And they are presented as such. In these worlds, it is never possible for a stranger to stop and say: Um, maybe I should call the police to help these lost kids? Nah--I'm gonna creep out on them!

--CCTV. I get that it's a fact of UK life and is actually a decent subject from certain themes, but when it comes to detective and crime stories, it's just a tool that is either exploited to the point that investigation is pointless because you just look at the video data or--surprise! there isn't video of that specific angle! ahhhh!
Also, it never fails that you spend an episode or so of flailing about before one brilliant cop finally announces, "Hey! We should check the CCTV!"
derp.

Broadchurch is another good one. And the second season just came out on Netflix (haven't watched it yet). In addition to The Doctor, it also has Rory and Walder Frey (who does a great job).

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I love The Bridge! Saga is such an interesting character that doesn't have traditional social skills. Her and Martin are a great combo.
The Tunnel is a French/English remake. I saw that recently and thought it was pretty good. It was much better than the American version of The Bridge. Suppose I should also watch the Danish one but not sure I can take a full season of subtitles. There are a lot of subs in The Tunnel but it's about half French and half English.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I keep meaning to pick back up with Fortitude, the first episode was good
I think that's going to be a classic. The plot isn't perfectly linear but I liked that about it. Leave enough loose ends for a second season.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Death in Paradise

S1-Cartaz.jpg

Season 1 and 2: 8/10
Season 3: I dunno because I didn't make it past the 2nd episode. However, based on those two episodes, I'd give it 6/10.

Seasons 1-3 are on Netflix (at least in Canada).

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
The Good Wife -- 10/10 -- The most intelligent, most well done drama on network TV by far, and one of the better on any medium evar. It started again last night.

9.3/10
but I'm only half way through season 3.

I'd even forgotten your review and started watching it on a whim and was surprised at how well done it is.

Another Prime freebie.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I love those moments when Larry David made an appearance.

And of course it was well before I knew him to be Larry David, but he was Steinbrenner's voice in those amazing episodes.

Yeap they were all brilliant
"Big Stein can't be floppin' and twitchin'!"

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
American Sniper 4/10

Didn't click with me. The only things that I liked were a few seconds of helicopter flight, very well done indeed. Mostly it made me cringe, well alot and often. Even the romantic stuff didn't work for me, and I'm a romantic.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
American Sniper 4/10

Didn't click with me. The only things that I liked were a few seconds of helicopter flight, very well done indeed. Mostly it made me cringe, well alot and often. Even the romantic stuff didn't work for me, and I'm a romantic.

Agreed. Painfully overhyped movie. I'd give it 6/10 as I did think Cooper did a solid job. But all in all... meh.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
American Sniper 4/10

What were all the cringe-worthy things about it? It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but I'm genuinely curious.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
The Revenant (2015)

2 / 10

Yes, some spoilers in here.

Saw this the other night and was very disappointed. Not to tell the whole story but a hunter gets mauled by a bear. I mean really mauled. Then he falls down a mountain side and then the bear, who he stabbed falls down too, right on top of him. This was a BIG bear. His friends carry him up, put him on a home made stretcher. He appears to be in shock and cannot move or speak. The weather is very cold and very little food of which they do not give him much. They decide to leave him. He then starts to recover, slowly starts to crawl, then limp, then walk and then able to ride a horse. Really! Someone in a hospital could not have recovered that fast and he was able to do this without medicine or bandages in the freezing cold. Not believable by any means. A small bite from a bear causes all sorts of bacteria problems and can kill a person without antibiotics. Too unrealistic to be believable.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
The Revenant (2015)

2 / 10

Yes, some spoilers in here.

Saw this the other night and was very disappointed. Not to tell the whole story but a hunter gets mauled by a bear. I mean really mauled. Then he falls down a mountain side and then the bear, who he stabbed falls down too, right on top of him. This was a BIG bear. His friends carry him up, put him on a home made stretcher. He appears to be in shock and cannot move or speak. The weather is very cold and very little food of which they do not give him much. They decide to leave him. He then starts to recover, slowly starts to crawl, then limp, then walk and then able to ride a horse. Really! Someone in a hospital could not have recovered that fast and he was able to do this without medicine or bandages in the freezing cold. Not believable by any means. A small bite from a bear causes all sorts of bacteria problems and can kill a person without antibiotics. Too unrealistic to be believable.

Hugh Glass. It's based on Hugh Glass.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
You know that all of that was in the trailer right? I haven't seen the movie, and it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

I have not seen the trailer; looked spoilery to me. Going to see the movie on Saturday.

KT

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I have not seen the trailer; looked spoilery to me. Going to see the movie on Saturday.

KT

I know you are a movie lover (as we mostly are here), but that begs an entirely different question. Why would you go see a movie to a new IP w/o watching the trailer first?

Status
Not open for further replies.