NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 454 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I just could never get into Doctor Who. I tried watching one episode and it was super cheesy but not in a good way. This episode had some horribly animated CGI robots trying to kill everyone. I just could not understand how it's so popular.

+1

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I just could never get into Doctor Who. I tried watching one episode and it was super cheesy but not in a good way. This episode had some horribly animated CGI robots trying to kill everyone. I just could not understand how it's so popular.

old who, or new who?

personally, i loved every minute of the first reboot, both ecclestone and tennant. detested matt smith, and don't much like capaldi, mostly because of the weak writing.

of the old doctor, imho troughton (2nd doctor) was the best, but there is little if any material surviving. best bet is to catch The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors. i also liked the 3rd and 5th, not so much the 4th, although he generally ranks very high on the "best of" lists. all three have inferior acting, but the show still has its charm.

Sep 29, 2004
Kung Fury - epic/10

This is a spoof on the 80s that is perfect. The best 25 minutes of laughing I've had in a while. Perfect!

It's on Netflix and it should be a must for everyone.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I've always been fond of Old School, but then I like Will Ferrell in general.

Will Ferrell reminds me of "that guy" in your office who tries loudly and repeatedly to be outrageously funny and falls so far short, it's painful.

My personal idea of hell would be to be stuck for days in an elevator with Will Ferrell, Seth Rogen, and Melissa McCarthy and a huge mound of ex-lax laced St. Josephs Methamphetamine For Children . . . but no ear plugs or toilet paper. D:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Watched Hateful 8. 3/10 Wasn't what I expected. Damn bloody though. I don't recommend it. I thought having Kurt Russel & Samuel L Jackson would have been great, but it wasn't. the Rotten Tomato and IMDB rating is bull shit. People don't know good movies if it bit them in the ass.

The Martian was waaaaaay better! 8/10. In fact, The Martian was better than Spectre & Terminator Genisys.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Watched Hateful 8. 3/10 Wasn't what I expected. Damn bloody though. I don't recommend it. I thought having Kurt Russel & Samuel L Jackson would have been great, but it wasn't. the Rotten Tomato and IMDB rating is bull shit. People don't know good movies if it bit them in the ass.

Do you normally like Tarentino movies?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Will Ferrell reminds me of "that guy" in your office who tries loudly and repeatedly to be outrageously funny and falls so far short, it's painful.

My personal idea of hell would be to be stuck for days in an elevator with Will Ferrell, Seth Rogen, and Melissa McCarthy and a huge mound of ex-lax laced St. Josephs Methamphetamine For Children . . . but no ear plugs or toilet paper. D:

Truth.

You put this feeling into words better than I could have. :thumbsup:

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Watched Southpaw, and it was pretty average. Not much else needs to be said.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Watched Southpaw, and it was pretty average. Not much else needs to be said.

Hmm. I watched that one on a plane last month and thought it was excellent. I would give it 8/10.

Went to see Star Wars - The Force Awakens finally. It was OK, not great. Would probably give it a 6/10.

Also just finished Making a Murderer on Netflix. That was sort of gut wrenching to watch but was very well done. I would give that a solid 9/10 because it kept me so interested the entire time but I felt a little sick after it was over.

Last edited:

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Hmm. I watched that one on a plane last month and thought it was excellent. I would give it 8/10.
I thought it was fairly well made, but it never felt original, and just kept reminding me of better movies. Looking at Antoine Fuqua's IMDB profile, I realize I've seen a number of his movies and had that same reaction.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
sicario - 8/10 - thought it was going to be a bit of a different movie considering everything i heard about it being "non stop from start to finish" but i found a lot of it rather slow. not that slow is a bad thing at all, it was just different than i expected. was still pretty damn awesome though, and holy shit del toro!

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I thought having Kurt Russel & Samuel L Jackson would have been great, but it wasn't. the Rotten Tomato and IMDB rating is bull shit. People don't know good movies if it bit them in the ass.

Everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion :D

Admittedly, Kurt Russel was a disappointment, but Walton Goggins was every bit as good as Samuel L Jackson. It was fantastic.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
i never realized how many extras were on the Elf bluray. i watched it on xmas with my wife and after we watched it, we watched all of the deleted scenes (none were that great) and then there are a bunch of extra's about how they made it. the only one i watched so far was how they made the north pole. it's pretty awesome. i can't wait to watch the others.

Ah cool, good to know. I just stumbled on it on TV, so did not get a chance to do that. I'll have to go through those extras; sounds fun.

Yeah, same here. I really wanted to like it, but blah.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Watched The Fall (season 2) - 9/10: Yeah, it probably was even better than season 1, which is surprising because I thought the way the story was progressing there was no way it could be. Looks like there may be a season 3 as well; can't wait! Gillian Anderson rules; such an awesome character!

I am also about 3 episodes into The Bridge (Bron/Broen): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/?ref_=nv_sr_1 which is great! The two leads are excellent and it's a cool procedural/mystery. Really digging it.

KT

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I am also about 3 episodes into The Bridge (Bron/Broen): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/?ref_=nv_sr_1 which is great! The two leads are excellent and it's a cool procedural/mystery. Really digging it.

KT

I really liked the eponymous American TV Series, which ran for two seasons. The leads, Demián Bichir and Diane Kruger, were especially good. She played Bridget von Hammersmark in Inglourious Basterds, which reminds me that, though I do think that film was really uneven, with scenes that seemed stitched together, the best set pieces were riveting.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I really liked the eponymous American TV Series, which ran for two seasons. The leads, Demián Bichir and Diane Kruger, were especially good. She played Bridget von Hammersmark in Inglourious Basterds, which reminds me that, though I do think that film was really uneven, with scenes that seemed stitched together, the best set pieces were riveting.

Oh yes, I know them well. Inglourious is Tarantino's masterpiece and I've watched it numerous times. Bichir was awesome in The Hateful Eight too. I noticed the American version, but I try to stick with the originals. I watched Broadchurch a while back, then also watched the American version after that (forget the name of it) and I just found the UK version worked so much better, so I try to stick with the original, home version.

The Fall is great, cant wait for seaon 3. Im tired of these British shows being short seasons

Haha, yeah, it's annoying, but I do like that things do not feel quite as drawn out as the old 22 episode seasons sometimes do.

I love The Bridge! Saga is such an interesting character that doesn't have traditional social skills. Her and Martin are a great combo.

Yeah, it's kind of a buddy cop chow in a way with the disparate personalities, but they are written and performed perfectly, not too over the top. Very enjoyable. I did not realize there were more seasons; I thought it was one and done. So not sure how this will all play out. :hmm:

KT

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Yeah, it's kind of a buddy cop chow in a way with the disparate personalities, but they are written and performed perfectly, not too over the top. Very enjoyable. I did not realize there were more seasons; I thought it was one and done. So not sure how this will all play out. :hmm:

KT

I haven't seen season 3 yet, but 2 was a doozy. I got so attached to them. Since you like this and The Fall, another good show to check out is The Missing. One season so far but it's gripping.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- 7/10

Would have been 10/10, but the primary villain was wearing a mask.

QQ

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I haven't seen season 3 yet, but 2 was a doozy. I got so attached to them. Since you like this and The Fall, another good show to check out is The Missing. One season so far but it's gripping.

Cool, thanks man. Added to my list.

Luther is a must watch speaking of British shows

Yeah I keep meaning to watch that one. Those seasons are super short as I recall.

KT

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
The Sound of Music - 10/10

Ever notice that the best musicals seem to have Nazis in them, and lots of obvious Jewish names in the credits? Hmm. :hmm: I also noticed the excessive red/orange, and general oversaturation. Funny how much that pops out, now that I'm used to non-film content, these days.

So, um, what else to say? I hadn't seen it in years upon years, and next thing I know, it's already after midnight, and I had to get to work the next day. Still one of the best movies ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.