NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 453 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I can't put my finger on it, but there's something I really don't like about that guy.

He's neurotic and often dark, even bleak. He makes, and has made, multiple references to the eating disorder that his neurotic, ridiculously fat obsessed mother smothered him with as a child -- claiming he was eating too much and getting fat when, objectively, neither was truly happening.

But . . . he's also smart and funny, so there's that.

The show is shoestring budget low, so you'd really have to like Mark Maron already to enjoy it. On balance, I do.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
He's neurotic and often dark, even bleak. He makes, and has made, multiple references to the eating disorder that his neurotic, ridiculously fat obsessed mother smothered him with as a child -- claiming he was eating too much and getting fat when, objectively, neither was truly happening.

But . . . he's also smart and funny, so there's that.

The show is shoestring budget low, so you'd really have to like Mark Maron already to enjoy it. On balance, I do.

It literally blows my mind who does his podcasts and what they reveal about themselves and their lives.
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_613_-_president_barack_obama

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah, wtf? 48 Hours, Coming to America, Beverly Hills Cop? Granted anything after the mid 90's sucked, but that's still a decent run.

The funniest thing is Beverly Hills Cop had a budget of $15 million and made well over $300. Yeah Eddie Murphy was a failure...

Plus, the Golden Child was amazing.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I can't put my finger on it, but there's something I really don't like about that guy.

Same. I tried to listen to his podcast several times, but the dude is fucking obnoxious. I couldn't take it. Not a fan of him at all.

KT

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I've always been fond of Old School, but then I like Will Ferrell in general.

I like him too, but I re-watched Elf 1.5 times in December and I just love it. So entertaining and easy to watch.

KT

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Daddy's Home ... ?

Were they kidding?
This is one of the worse movies of 2015 - 2016. And 2016 just began

I thought it was pretty bad too. I just wanted to see a movie, and I didn't feel like seeing Star Wars again, so I figured that I'd see a comedy. The trailer seemed alright (I stopped it about halfway), so I figured I'd go with it. Honestly, with all of the product placement ("Hey, is that Cinnamon Toast Crunch!?" "Yeah, it's awesome!"), I thought that I was watching an Adam Sandler movie. The biggest problem was that the comedy was either so predictable that there was no reaction or it was just terrible gag humor that didn't work.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I thought it was pretty bad too. I just wanted to see a movie, and I didn't feel like seeing Star Wars again, so I figured that I'd see a comedy. The trailer seemed alright (I stopped it about halfway), so I figured I'd go with it. Honestly, with all of the product placement ("Hey, is that Cinnamon Toast Crunch!?" "Yeah, it's awesome!"), I thought that I was watching an Adam Sandler movie. The biggest problem was that the comedy was either so predictable that there was no reaction or it was just terrible gag humor that didn't work.

I was thinking this was a Gilmore film, which would make sense. Haven't seen it yet, but I thought the trailers looked great -- but then...most do even if the movie sucks.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Eh, I am not a huge Farrell fan myself, but I did like Old School. Then again, I like Wayne's World and The Ladies Man.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
There are some good UK shows. They're doing a mini-series based on the eponymous novel War and Peace. Saw the first episode and really liked it.

Also, Endeavour is back for a third season. This the second spin-off from the Inspector Morse series (Lewis being the first).

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Tigerland -- 8/10

A film from 2000 by Joel Schumacher starring a young ass Colin Farrell. About a group of soldiers in training during 1971, preparing to be deployed to Vietnam. The movie reminded me a little bit of "Full Metal Jacket," at least the first part of that movie (plot-wise). Anyway I enjoyed the movie and thought it was quite good. Farrell has a great performance. The movie was filmed in a neat way, handheld cameras for a lot of stuff I guess, and it just has kind of a dark, unsaturated, gritty look to it. It's not really breaking any new ground as far as war films go, but I recommend it to those who like them.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I like him too, but I re-watched Elf 1.5 times in December and I just love it. So entertaining and easy to watch.

KT

i never realized how many extras were on the Elf bluray. i watched it on xmas with my wife and after we watched it, we watched all of the deleted scenes (none were that great) and then there are a bunch of extra's about how they made it. the only one i watched so far was how they made the north pole. it's pretty awesome. i can't wait to watch the others.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I just could never get into Doctor Who. I tried watching one episode and it was super cheesy but not in a good way. This episode had some horribly animated CGI robots trying to kill everyone. I just could not understand how it's so popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.