NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 451 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
I last watched the movie CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977) on VHS
icon7.gif
(10/10)

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
The Congress (2014) - 7.5/10

I watched an interesting movie recently -The Congress (2014). It's definitely an...interesting movie. It gets weird quick about a third of the way in. But i really liked the overall tone of the movie, esp the last third. It's on amazon instant video, free with prime. Best if you go into the movie knowing nothing about the movie at all.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The Congress (2014) - 7.5/10

I watched an interesting movie recently -The Congress (2014). It's definitely an...interesting movie. It gets weird quick about a third of the way in. But i really liked the overall tone of the movie, esp the last third. It's on amazon instant video, free with prime. Best if you go into the movie knowing nothing about the movie at all.
Definitely a very strange movie and it feels like it meanders a little in the middle but definitely worth watching. This is one of those movies that 30 or 50 years from now people are going to think it was really ahead of its time, at least in terms of the concept.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
trainwreck - first half 8/10, second half 5/10 - this is the prime example of how they simply cannot make comedies just be funny for 100% of the movie. they haven't made one of those in a very long time, they always have to get serious about shit at the end, only this movie did it like 1/2 way through, and you could see it coming from a mile away. but i thought the humor at the beginning was hilarious, just crude dirty humor. i am a fan of amy shumer and it was exactly the same humor you would expect from her. all of the athletes were pretty good in it too, with john cena taking the take. he had me LOL'ing the most out of anything in the movie.

I think that's what made Something About Mary good for its time.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse 6.2/10
Pretty much exactly what you would expect with this kind of movie. Not the best but not the worst either. Decent gore, some funny kills, some fun zombie interactions, and scouts using scout knowledge to kill zombies.

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
Sicario 10/10
=============
I was on edge for most of the movie. The cinematography, the music, and the actors all combine for a movie that I wasn't expecting at all.

Last edited:

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The Hateful Eight -- 10/10
Finally got to see this (not in 70mm), and it was everything I had hoped it would be. Samuel L. Jackson was amazing. Walton Goggins was just as good. The way it was pieced together, and then
a classic Tarantino ending.
... man, what a film!

Edit: Also got an Apple TV this weekend because my wife was tired of being behind on some CBS shows -- namely, The Big Bang theory. I've never purchased anything on iTunes before, but we signed up for the season pass for $26 something after tax. It's about the same price as the season bluray would be, but you get it immediately after airing. No commercials, 1080p streamed just fine, plus it sends notifications when there's new episodes. Pretty nifty. I set up Hulu and Netflix on there too ... the search function is great as it seems to search all "channels" or apps for whatever you look for, then shows where you can watch it. For example, if you search "The Mindy Project" it will say "Watch on Hulu" or "Buy on iTunes for xx.xx". Select Hulu and it plays. Fantastic. This Apple TV thing is something I didn't know I really wanted to have in my theater setup...they just might make a convert out of me someday.

Last edited:

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
I've been watching all the James Bond movies for the first time. I discovered Bond when GoldenEye 007 came out on N64 and I played it every day for at least 2 years, so I've seen that movie and the next couple when they came out with Brosnan. I knew the other films existed and the series was much larger, but never saw them. Brosnan was the only Bond I knew. I disliked it when Craig replaced him and never saw any of the new movies with him because I didn't know any better. Also M was always a Judy Dench to me lol

So anyway, I started watching them in order last month. I've made it through the last Brosnan film, Die Another Day. Upon watching them I realized I had seen parts of a few of these films over the years. I recall the many parts of Goldfinger and The Man With the Golden Gun upon viewing them. I'm not going to review every film, only give the general impression I've gathered from the series.

Starting with Thunderball (3rd film), I've not enjoyed any underwater scenes in any of the films. It was the only movie (of this series) I fell asleep during. I had to rewatch the end in the morning, and found it just as nauseating.

It wasn't until somewhere around Moonraker that I realized the 20 minute car chase scenes in each of the movies are supposed to be funny, not suspenseful (at least in some of them?). I was wondering why I wasn't enjoying several of them. I'll have to rewatch at some point with that expectation to see if they're better.

Knowing the story behind George Lazenby, like how he got the part (pretended he was a big shot actor) and how he insisted on doing all of his own stunts (ended up breaking his arm and setting back filming) I found the entire film he was in hilarious. The movie was quite good, though.

I agree with Roger Moore, he was too old to play Bond (57). There was like a 20 year old figure skater who wanted his gross old balls immediately upon laying her eyes upon him in one of the films (For Your Eyes Only), pretty sure before he even said anything at all. It stopped being believable. Really wish Timothy Dalton had done some of the ones Moore did at the end, because I really enjoyed him as Bond.

There is a weird issue I had with the later Bond films with Brosnan. The innuendos were over the top in a weird way. Like they were a bit too on point. Not much of an innuendo. Perhaps it was due to the language differences due to the age of the other films, where you could say "pussy" without feeling uncomfortable. Brosnan's films still feel like modern films, and the dialog doesn't work like it does for classic movies. For example, I felt the last line of The World is Not Enough was the sole reason for the damsel being named Christmas; Just for the delivery of that lame line. No other reason.

Anyway, happily moving on to Daniel Craig.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2000
The Hateful Eight - 4.5/10 - I am a major Tarantino fan and have liked pretty much all of his films, though I didn't love Reservoir Dogs or Jackie Brown. I had really looked forward to the Hateful Eight, but found it a crushing disappointment. The first half was decent but, in places, oddly paced. The second half was, for me, a totally nihilistic kill-fest with no particular merit. One major plot hole also really bothered me -
if Channing Tatum's gang were so notorious, surely at least one of the two highly experienced bounty hunters would have recognized them on sight. This would seem particularly true of Kurt Russell, who had tracked and captured Jennifer Jason Leigh, a member of the gang.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Probably because it was more or less a poorly made Western version of Reservoir Dogs to begin with.

Just my opinion, and I still like Reservoir Dogs personally.

I actually liked both Kill Bills a lot more than Jackie Brown personally, so all results are variable.

Funny how that works.

It is often times minor themes/moods in Tarantino movies that can sway you a bit. I loved Inglorious Basterds also and never cared much for Django really.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
The Hateful Eight - 4.5/10 - I am a major Tarantino fan and have liked pretty much all of his films, though I didn't love Reservoir Dogs or Jackie Brown. I had really looked forward to the Hateful Eight, but found it a crushing disappointment. The first half was decent but, in places, oddly paced. The second half was, for me, a totally nihilistic kill-fest with no particular merit. One major plot hole also really bothered me -
if Channing Tatum's gang were so notorious, surely at least one of the two highly experienced bounty hunters would have recognized them on sight. This would seem particularly true of Kurt Russell, who had tracked and captured Jennifer Jason Leigh, a member of the gang.

that's the only plot hole that bothered you?
I watch enough Dexter/CSI to know that 4 hours is not enough time to cover up a triple murder, and definitely not in the 1800's

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The Hateful Eight -- 10/10
Finally got to see this (not in 70mm), and it was everything I had hoped it would be. Samuel L. Jackson was amazing. Walton Goggins was just as good. The way it was pieced together, and then
a classic Tarantino ending.
... man, what a film!

Edit: Also got an Apple TV this weekend because my wife was tired of being behind on some CBS shows -- namely, The Big Bang theory. I've never purchased anything on iTunes before, but we signed up for the season pass for $26 something after tax. It's about the same price as the season bluray would be, but you get it immediately after airing. No commercials, 1080p streamed just fine, plus it sends notifications when there's new episodes. Pretty nifty. I set up Hulu and Netflix on there too ... the search function is great as it seems to search all "channels" or apps for whatever you look for, then shows where you can watch it. For example, if you search "The Mindy Project" it will say "Watch on Hulu" or "Buy on iTunes for xx.xx". Select Hulu and it plays. Fantastic. This Apple TV thing is something I didn't know I really wanted to have in my theater setup...they just might make a convert out of me someday.

To clarify for others: this is the 4th gen Apple TV with the Siri touch remote.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
that's the only plot hole that bothered you?
I watch enough Dexter/CSI to know that 4 hours is not enough time to cover up a triple murder, and definitely not in the 1800's

I dunno, they didn't really cover it up all that much. For example, they just threw a couple blankets over the chair. Maybe they covered Minnie's blood with a rug or something. /shrug

To clarify for others: this is the 4th gen Apple TV with the Siri touch remote.

Yes it is, should've mentioned that. Is the search different on gen3?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I dunno, they didn't really cover it up all that much. For example, they just threw a couple blankets over the chair. Maybe they covered Minnie's blood with a rug or something. /shrug

all the blood on the ground and all that's left is a red jelly bean? c'mon.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
i really, really detested T2. i felt it destroyed everything that was awesome about T1. the relentless, pitiless death machine that kills without a thought.

"are you Sarah Connor?" *pew* *pew* *THUMP* pewpew some more.

that scene in the police station was just glorious. and T2 is the opposite of T1.

sure, you can say "ooh, but `it was in the script.. the kid told the terminator NOT to kill people"
besides that fact that, why would a disfunctional high-school kid in the 90s ever say that; more likely, he would say "cool, let's go kill all the kids in school that i hate".

anyway,

sure, it's in the script. and that's what i have a problem with: it's a hollywood conformist script.
they put that in there because they HAD to put it in there, family fun film 'n all; they don't have the balls to do a R rated film with a hulking metal beast that doesn't talk but just kills.

T1 is a great film, because of the content. T2 might not be that bad on its own, but considering the content, and the fact that it insults T1, makes it to me almost as bad as the prequels.

2/10 - insulting

This is possibly the worst opinion I've ever heard.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Predator stomps

Predator was a veiled take on homophobia and the trials that homosexuals at the time went through. Arnold and his buddies were in a hot and steamy bromance (jungle) and the predator represented the manifestation of anti gay sentiment that tried to strip their privacy and hang them out to dry in front of their peers.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Predator was a veiled take on homophobia and the trials that homosexuals at the time went through. Arnold and his buddies were in a hot and steamy bromance (jungle) and the predator represented the manifestation of anti gay sentiment that tried to strip their privacy and hang them out to dry in front of their peers.
...and now THIS is probably the worst opinion Kev has ever heard.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hatefull 8 70mm,

I am a tarantino fan. I give it a solid 9.

Its everything I love to see in a movie.

The cinemetography,shots, framing, light, etc farking EPIC. The only thing In recent years that I'd say matched it was Tree of Life.

The story was properly convoluted, and totally dictated by the dialogue. The characters were magnificent. The actors all did superb work.

The music was perfect.

The style was a bit overpowering, but, the substance was there to back it up.

Best western since Josey Wales. This film was diabolical in the best way possible.

Sep 29, 2004
Hatefull 8 70mm,

I am a tarantino fan. I give it a solid 9.

Its everything I love to see in a movie.

The cinemetography,shots, framing, light, etc farking EPIC. The only thing In recent years that I'd say matched it was Tree of Life.

The story was properly convoluted, and totally dictated by the dialogue. The characters were magnificent. The actors all did superb work.

The music was perfect.

The style was a bit overpowering, but, the substance was there to back it up.

Best western since Josey Wales. This film was diabolical in the best way possible.

Is Django a must watch prior to seeing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.