NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 450 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Stung - 6/10 - B horror flick about giant mutated wasps. It was surprisingly decent and a level above other such movies like (Skeeter, Mosquito, Eight Legged Freaks, etc) given the type of movie it was. Not overly cheesy, decent effects and Lance Hendricksen. It seemed to have a few parallels to Aliens as well.

Last edited:

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Terminator Genisys 4/10
Had a bunch of Vudu credits and I was going to have to watch it at some point. Nice effects horrible story. Nowhere near as good and the horror movie T1.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Just watched the first three quarters of Spy and had to give up, I'm baffled at how this has a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's a notch above your typical Adam Sandler comedy at least, but I still wouldn't even call it mediocre.

The dialogue reminded me of a network sitcom, but with the vulgarity needlessly cranked up to 10. Outside of that, the attempts at humor came mostly from unfunny sight gags. Jason Statham was the best part, but he didn't do all that much either.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
aloha - 2/10 - would have given it a 1/10 if there wasn't like 5 scenes with cool scenery. movie was god awful and was like an artsy fartsy movie with characters that my wife and i thought were half retarded (in the literal sense). so bad.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Just watched the first three quarters of Spy and had to give up, I'm baffled at how this has a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's a notch above your typical Adam Sandler comedy at least, but I still wouldn't even call it mediocre.

The dialogue reminded me of a network sitcom, but with the vulgarity needlessly cranked up to 10. Outside of that, the attempts at humor came mostly from unfunny sight gags. Jason Statham was the best part, but he didn't do all that much either.
Spy is pretty good IMO.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - 6.5/10

Competent-ish, sci-fi. However, I couldn't help but think that it had a video game vibe: You've got various levels in completely different settings, multiple lives/attempts
most of the time, sometimes the 'save game' (ability to reset time) system gets pulled out from under the player, otherwise it would be too easy, wouldn't it? Both lost their ability to reset time due to a blood transfusion? How much blood? Both required similar amounts? How does blood content survive a time reset? So if you're poisoned a time reset won't help?

I thought the ending was a bit of a weeny Hollywood cliché copout. "Everyone died, now they're fine, that's super!" </Big Gay Al> It would also have been better if they had dispensed with the cliché of "action man must also have a love interest / get the girl".

It's one of those movies where one is left in little doubt right from the start that the hero is going to win / survive; it's a bit of a Tom Cruise vehicle in that respect.

Just like with most video games, character development takes a back seat; there's a lot of cardboard-cutouts in this film. The enemy is also a giant cardboard cut-out. Did anyone honestly feel anything like fear of these CGI monsters?

It's watchable. It was engaging enough for me to continue watching it because I wanted to see how it concluded.
In terms of sci-fi quality it felt like the film 'Looper' without the key scene in the diner and the ending turned into a "good guys win, bad guys lose" scenario without any interesting conclusion.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
everyone agreed that the ending of that film should be cut off like a gangrenous arm, but the rest of the film is just magical. charming, thrilling, funny. great film.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
everyone agreed that the ending of that film should be cut off like a gangrenous arm, but the rest of the film is just magical. charming, thrilling, funny. great film.

Yeah -
they should have let the end continue from the death of the big alien. Aka, they're all dead, but they succeeded. Bittersweet ending. I mean, why would it reset to him on the chopper anyway - why not to him lying on the ground after "impersonating an officer" or whatever?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Eh, I consider both Terminator and Alien to be Sci-Fi Horror films. Is the Sci-Fi moniker necessary? Not really, but it does tell you that it has some elements that are not of this world. Albeit, Alien is far more so than Terminator given the difference in settings. Although, if we want to debate about what's Sci-Fi or not, do we just consider Terminator 2: Judgment Day to be an Action movie? I usually consider it Sci-Fi Action, which is also what I call Aliens. I also like to point out how both franchises (helmed by James Cameron) took the same turn.

This is similar to how I look at the films. :thumbsup:

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Hateful Eight (70mm) - 7.5/10

To summarize, it's 3 hours of Tarentino wanking off onscreen via dialogue and camera work. If you're not into Tarentino movies, this probably won't change your mind.

Regarding the film/70mm aspect of it, I appreciate his dedication to the craft and his desire to keep film alive. That said, I would have been perfectly happy if this was a digitally shot movie. What, nobody has thought of making ultra wide screen lenses for red cameras yet? Surely it could be done for less than the 100 million or whatever TWC invested into this film roadshow project.

Having said all that, I hope this roadshow trend this continues and the overture/intermission are pretty cool. I saw it at the arclight so overture/intermission + no trailers/commercials led to a pretty classy experience.

Yeah, it is Tarantino at his most Tarantino. I loved it though. :D

If you are a Tarantino fan, then I can't imagine anything lower than a 6 for Hateful Eight, but if you are not an actual fan of Tarantino, I can definitely see 1 or 2 ratings popping up. Totally get why non-Tarantino lovers would hate it.

Huh, I actually found it pretty funny. Saw it on a plane though, which sometimes impacts how I feel about things.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I blasted through season 1 of The Fall (9/10) last night and now I have a burning desire to catch up on The X-Files in advance of the new series starting. :hmm:

KT

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
trainwreck - first half 8/10, second half 5/10 - this is the prime example of how they simply cannot make comedies just be funny for 100% of the movie. they haven't made one of those in a very long time, they always have to get serious about shit at the end, only this movie did it like 1/2 way through, and you could see it coming from a mile away. but i thought the humor at the beginning was hilarious, just crude dirty humor. i am a fan of amy shumer and it was exactly the same humor you would expect from her. all of the athletes were pretty good in it too, with john cena taking the take. he had me LOL'ing the most out of anything in the movie.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
trainwreck - first half 8/10, second half 5/10 - this is the prime example of how they simply cannot make comedies just be funny for 100% of the movie. they haven't made one of those in a very long time, they always have to get serious about shit at the end, only this movie did it like 1/2 way through, and you could see it coming from a mile away. but i thought the humor at the beginning was hilarious, just crude dirty humor. i am a fan of amy shumer and it was exactly the same humor you would expect from her. all of the athletes were pretty good in it too, with john cena taking the take. he had me LOL'ing the most out of anything in the movie.

This is why I can't stand most comedy movies. The need for serious takes over and my interest is lost.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
This is why I can't stand most comedy movies. The need for serious takes over and my interest is lost.

yeah i've had this discussion with friends. they don't make comedies like dumb and dumber or happy gilmore or tommy boy anymore for some reason. i guess the more recent ones i can think of are things like Ted or The Hangover, but even Ted had some romantic bullshit at the end.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007

Very interesting. I'd rate it the opposite. 5/10 in the first half and 8/10 in the second. My wife agrees. I can say dirty words on my own. Don't like cheap laughs or Amy Schumer really. My wife likes her though.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Very interesting. I'd rate it the opposite. 5/10 in the first half and 8/10 in the second. My wife agrees. I can say dirty words on my own. Don't like cheap laughs or Amy Schumer really. My wife likes her though.

if you don't like cheap laughs or amy schumer, then i can understand why you wouldn't like a movie with amy schumer doing her usual cheap laugh dirty crude humor.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Sisters - 6/10 - It had some moments, but the overall story and feel good ending was pretty crap. I also am not a huge Tina Fey fan, so that didn't help. I felt like some of the jokes went on way longer than they should have (music box scene) and there wasn't enough John Cena.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
so i watched Burnt http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2503944/reference

with my beloved Bradley Cooper (of Limitless)

the (fictional) story of a chef who makes an effort to earn his third michelin star.
Bradley Cooper plays the chef. he used to do drugs, but quit and went on hermitage for 3 years, then comes back, assembles a crew of chefs (supposedly all unique characters, but actually not), pulls off a few "Blues Brothers, you owe me" tricks to get a kitchen started, and then wins. the end.

i can see where they tried to write something interesting, but to me, the result was just bland.
weak film, weak plot, they try to spice it up with everything (love story, professional rivalry, shady past) but it just doens't have any bite.

looks like there might be a few puns there.

having a bit of an understanding of the trade myself, i can't see how you could pull a good plot out of it; imho, Ratatouille pulled it off better.
or they could have gone the route of the "damned chef", driven to madness by the search for perfection. (personally, i think those people are wankers, but what do i know)

instead, they just tell a story where, except for a few minor hickups, everything pretty much goes to plan, there are no character arcs worth mentioning, and there is no life lesson, no bigger picture.

i wouldn't say it's bad, but .. it didin't give me any satisfaction watching it, to the very end.

i would say, a bland 6/10

Praise Mayne, for He is the Light and the Way.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
i can see where they tried to write something interesting, but to me, the result was just bland. weak film, weak plot, they try to spice it up with everything (love story, professional rivalry, shady past) but it just doens't have any bite.
I didn't even consider watching that. It's one of those movies where the trailers really do give you a good idea about the movie and they are flashing 'Warning.'

They were probably trying to cash in on the reality food show craze. But I've always wondered how much of the audience watches for the food and how much for the pseudo-drama.

Viewers seem to agree with you. So far it's only made $35M worldwide and only $5M opening weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=adamjones.htm

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
so i watched Burnt http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2503944/reference

with my beloved Bradley Cooper (of Limitless)

the (fictional) story of a chef who makes an effort to earn his third michelin star.
Bradley Cooper plays the chef. he used to do drugs, but quit and went on hermitage for 3 years, then comes back, assembles a crew of chefs (supposedly all unique characters, but actually not), pulls off a few "Blues Brothers, you owe me" tricks to get a kitchen started, and then wins. the end.

i can see where they tried to write something interesting, but to me, the result was just bland.
weak film, weak plot, they try to spice it up with everything (love story, professional rivalry, shady past) but it just doens't have any bite.

looks like there might be a few puns there.

having a bit of an understanding of the trade myself, i can't see how you could pull a good plot out of it; imho, Ratatouille pulled it off better.
or they could have gone the route of the "damned chef", driven to madness by the search for perfection. (personally, i think those people are wankers, but what do i know)

instead, they just tell a story where, except for a few minor hickups, everything pretty much goes to plan, there are no character arcs worth mentioning, and there is no life lesson, no bigger picture.

i wouldn't say it's bad, but .. it didin't give me any satisfaction watching it, to the very end.

i would say, a bland 6/10

Praise Mayne, for He is the Light and the Way.

When I saw the previews, the only thing I could think was...how is this a Rated R movie when movies that SHOULD be R get PG13

Status
Not open for further replies.