NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 440 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I'm a big Henry Rollins fan and had no idea this movie was coming out today. Looks like Amazon has it as a digital download. Looking forward to watching it tomorrow.

He Never Died
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2386404/

Yea he was on Colbert promoting it. Big Rollins fan as well. Thinking about going and seeing it this weekend.

I like Rollins, not like I follow his work or anything, this looks really fun for him. I'm interested.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
The theme is Zimmer's take on a Carl Orff song that was used in Badlands. A movie that covers some similar themes, and from what I understand it was used as an homage.

https://youtu.be/DYqWIC4DM34?t=188

If you haven't seen Badlands, I'd recommend it.

Badlands 7/10

I enjoyed it, from the music, to other things in general you can see where several ideas were lifted from it for use in other films.

*edit* On a side note, I tend to use the term movie in general. As far as film vs flick when I see it used I tend to think of the term "chick flick", but that is really just splitting hairs I would think.

If someone thought a movie was a 10/10 and called it a flick I probably would not worry about it too much.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Flick probably came from the first movies being low frame rate and poor light source so they flickered.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Transparent - ?/10 (on Amazon)

I'm not sure how to rate this. There's been a lot of buzz about it recently since the second season came out about a week ago. So I've been watching the first season and I'm almost done with it.

It's about various gender issues and has its primary focus as this one Jewish family. But there is a constant stream of other characters coming in and out.

The acting isn't always believable but on the whole seems pretty good. However I can't really rate some of the concepts it deals with. I can't tell if this is one of those series that is popular just because it's edgy or because it's actually good. I can say that it's pretty interesting especially if you're not very familiar with the various subcultures that are involved.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
so, i watched

The Hateful Eight - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3460252/reference

really did not like it; plenty spoilers ahead.

Samuel L Jackson and Kurt Russel meet. they are both hardened men, who are quick to resort to violence, creating an uneasy standoff. Then another identical character joins them.
Then they get to a house where more identical characters join them. The resulting shootout is so obvious from scene 1, the there is no tension, only boredom. Couple speeches throw in, none memorable, most barely tolerable.

QT was obviously trying to go back to his roots, as the script is very close to Reservoir Dogs, but seems to think that casting a visually impressive character is an acceptable replacement for writing an actual story. As far as it is today, H8's story is "bunch of people meet, shoot each other".

would not recommend, 6/10 at best.

was so upset that i decided to watch

The Ridiculous Six
- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2479478/reference

Silly Adam Sandler comedy; classic full-house casting you can expect from this kind of production.
Aaand .. it was not bad. Had a few weak moments, but all considered, it was fun. Adam Sandler's deadpan delivery actually suits him, giving here a performance was better than anything he's done in these last few years.

kinda sad when this film was more fun than the previous.

6.5/10 - meaningless fun. AND, it's got Steve Buscemi + Harvey Keitel in it. Maybe they got lost and wandered on the wrong set.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
so, i watched

Samuel L Jackson and Kurt Russel meet. they are both hardened men, who are quick to resort to violence, creating an uneasy standoff. Then another identical character joins them.
Then they get to a house where more identical characters join them. The resulting shootout is so obvious from scene 1, the there is no tension, only boredom. Couple speeches throw in, none memorable, most barely tolerable.

QT was obviously trying to go back to his roots, as the script is very close to Reservoir Dogs, but seems to think that casting a visually impressive character is an acceptable replacement for writing an actual story. As far as it is today, H8's story is "bunch of people meet, shoot each other".

was so upset that i decided to watch

The Ridiculous Six
- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2479478/reference

Silly Adam Sandler comedy; classic full-house casting you can expect from this kind of production.
Aaand .. it was not bad. Had a few weak moments, but all considered, it was fun. Adam Sandler's deadpan delivery actually suits him, giving here a performance was better than anything he's done in these last few years.

kinda sad when this film was more fun than the previous.

6.5/10 - meaningless fun. AND, it's got Steve Buscemi + Harvey Keitel in it. Maybe they got lost and wandered on the wrong set.

Is the title of the movie "Silly Adam Sandler comedy?"

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Star wars the gay awakening
-0/10
in all serious, I give the movie 0/10. I only seen the trailer I gave that 0.01/10. The actually movie I have not seen but still gonna rate it -0/10.
Gays.

:D

I'm laughing because I have no idea what this is.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
After wrapping up Jessica Jones I got a suggestion to look at Sense8. It's done by the Wachowski brothers siblings. We're 4 episodes in and really digging it. Cinematography is incredible...one of the most visually amazing series I've seen. Even the intro is an insane eyegasm of epic panning skylines of cities and nature with random shots of ultra saturated everyday "people" stuff. It really gets your attention.

The premise of the show is that 8 people across the globe share a mental/physical bond and can channel each other for their abilities or information. There's some very fun moments. Some very dark moments. Some very sweet moments. Some of the episodes tend to drag a bit while others are an amazing ride. So far really getting hooked on it as the 8 start to find their way and understand what is going on.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
so, i watched

Bummer.
I still will see it. Just found out local theater will have it in 70mm this weekend so I guess I will see it then.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
No Escape - 8.5/10 - Loved it. Highly recommend as many have said.

Making a Murderer - 9.5/10 - Netflix Series - Binged this, couldn't stop watching. VIVA LA REVOLUTION. Seriously, watch this. If you don't come out hating the legal system you're probably a DA. .5 taken off because there were no direct interviews with the prosecuting side outside of reporters and courts to counterbalance or at least explain their actions.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched about 3/4 of no escape, as soon as i got it and started watching i went "ooh nooo.. it's that film"(i remember the trailer).

i'm not saying owen wilson was bad in it; what i really didn't like was his character, and the story in general. i don't like scared people crying a lot.. i like GUNS! and BOMBS! and BOOOOM!

well, not really, but.. i didn't like the subject matter. did not watch the whole thing.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
i watched about 3/4 of no escape, as soon as i got it and started watching i went "ooh nooo.. it's that film"(i remember the trailer).

i'm not saying owen wilson was bad in it; what i really didn't like was his character, and the story in general. i don't like scared people crying a lot.. i like GUNS! and BOMBS! and BOOOOM!

well, not really, but.. i didn't like the subject matter. did not watch the whole thing.

I find it difficult to take Owen Wilson seriously to begin with.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
the title is The Ridiculous Six

f83d6530088ec3b5e86f2b99d9a42dd5.jpg

Weird. It doesn't show in Tapatalk and I wasn't going to poke through quoted bbcode with spoilers for a movie I haven't seen.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
do you even need tapatalk now? any android browser should allow you all the functions that a normal web browser does.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
No Escape - 8.5/10 - Loved it. Highly recommend as many have said.

Making a Murderer - 9.5/10 - Netflix Series - Binged this, couldn't stop watching. VIVA LA REVOLUTION. Seriously, watch this. If you don't come out hating the legal system you're probably a DA. .5 taken off because there were no direct interviews with the prosecuting side outside of reporters and courts to counterbalance or at least explain their actions.
Yeah I thought "No Escape" was really good. Seems a lot of others agree too. It's really a shame it did so poorly.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Affair -- 7.5/10 -- The closing ep of this, it's second season on Showtime, was truly excellent. This is not a show many folks here would be drawn to, and I was on the fence about it for much of last season. It really grew on me, though, through season 2. It's a endlessly nuanced look at a married man who falls for a woman who is, in many ways, an innocent broken by a personal tragedy, but who "innocently" leaves a wake of woe in her path.

It doesn't have a cartoon bad guy nor a cartoon good guy . . . just a cast of flawed human beings each flawed in their own way, like, you know, the way real life is.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
The Affair -- 7.5/10 -- The closing ep of this, it's second season on Showtime, was truly excellent. This is not a show many folks here would be drawn to, and I was on the fence about it for much of last season. It really grew on me, though, through season 2. It's a endlessly nuanced look at a married man who falls for a woman who is, in many ways, an innocent broken by a personal tragedy, but who "innocently" leaves a wake of woe in her path.

It doesn't have a cartoon bad guy nor a cartoon good guy . . . just a cast of flawed human beings each flawed in their own way, like, you know, the way real life is.

I loved McNulty but I assume Dominic plays a much different character in this show. I might check it out.

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I loved McNulty because I assumed Dominic plays a much different character in this show. I might check it out.

If you do, give it a long leash to draw you in. You really have to be "comfortable" with relatively languorous character studies, so to speak, but, deeper in the second season, the plot crystallizes as each of the characters spins out of control, each in their own way.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Terminator: Genisys - 4/10

Meh - Not great. Changed the entire history. They keep trying to come up with "more badass" terminators, but this one was dumb. Not a fan of any of the characters.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - 7/10

I'm still a sucker for these. They are silly, fun and pretty well done. The cast is good. The well for villians' motivations is running dry, however. Bond has the same issue. Still a decent watch, if a bit Spectre-ish.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015

I think I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes before I canned it last season. I found myself fast forwarding through the episodes and stopping frequently when it looked like it might be interesting. But I don't think I missed much, although I suppose it's hard to tell.

I'll watch a show just for the ambiance, like Rectify for example which just oozes ambiance but also has an interesting story. The Affair didn't really strike me as that kind of show but maybe I'll give it a second chance at some point.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
do you even need tapatalk now? any android browser should allow you all the functions that a normal web browser does.
1GB iPhones crash and/or reload the page too often.
Editing text in a web browser text field is still a nightmare.
I didn't have to find hosting or copy/paste URLs to embed that image.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Mr. Robot - 10/10

Easily the best show on TV right now. The writing is incredibly tight and rewards repeated viewings. Acting, directing, music, and cinematography is amazing. Every episode is like a Kubrick movie. And on top of all that the show is a total mindf***. If they can keep up the pace of the first season (already renewed for S2) this will be in the Breaking Bad tier of all time greats.

Dexter of hacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.