NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 430 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Creed - 6.5/10
Would be a 7.5 or 8/10 if it weren't so derivative and they made the antagonist a bit more intimidating (he's comparatively pudgy) and they didn't contradict their own message so much.

Yes, "derivative." It's pretty much a reboot, with everything from the damaged love interest who pushes the protagonist away at first to the hesitant trainer right down to
the ending
. At least it was well made and I was entertained.

The contradiction is in the "do it for yourself; be your own man; don't rely on your father's name/heritage/privilege/blood" with the same characters saying they believe he can do it because he's a Creed with Creed's blood. :rolleyes:

I'd never seen a Rocky movie in theaters but I kinda knew there would be some audience applause, if that helps sway your decision (cheering audiences are always fun).

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Bone Tomahawk - 9/10

I can't think of another movie that made my palms sweat. Brutal and darkly funny movie.

i need to see this, local radio host talked about it and i saw the trailer, looks fucking awesome. think ill have to rent it from amazon or something.

Vacation - 8/10 - like with No Escape, i liked this a lot more than expected. i felt it truly did hold it's own and i liked that they didn't try to make rusty act like clark from the old movies. and holy shit, thor was hilarious in this movie. overall just a fun movie, glad it was rated r because it had some adult humor.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Bone Tomahawk - 9/10

I can't think of another movie that made my palms sweat. Brutal and darkly funny movie.
Damn son, that does look great. Matthew Fox is win; I loved him in Lost. Oh man I definitely gotta see that one.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Terminator (1984): meh. I don't see what the big deal is. 5/10

James Cameron was a nobody when he made that. It was considered kind of a B movie and did not have a blockbuster budget. Sound like you were expecting Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
Parallels 2015 8/10: I saw this on Netflix, it's got a sliders vibe to it, it was a pretty interesting movie.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Ted - 8/10

The first time I tried to watch this movie which was probably a year agp, I turned if off after 5 minutes because it seemed stupid. Flash forward to now, and its still stupid, but its also not bad. Cheesy at times but it had its moments.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
bone tomahawk - 5/10 - i went into this movie with big expectations because i heard how disturbing it is. i was just disappointed that it was far from being disturbing in general. i think the hills have eyes (remake) and devils rejects is way more disturbing than this movie was. there was pretty much just 1 scene that i'd even consider disturbing, but it wasn't that bad at all. overall though i enjoyed the movie, and had i not heard anything about it before, i'd probably give it a higher rating, but expecting to be extremely disturbed i came away really disappointed. i wanted to feel uncomfortable where i almost want to turn my head but it wasn't even close to making me do that. i did enjoy all of the acting in it though, i thought it was very well done.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Bone Tomahawk: 8.5/10

I hadn't heard of this until I saw it mentioned in this thread and I then watched the trailer for it. That piqued my interest but I didn't really know what to expect from the movie, which I considered just a western thriller I guess.

Well damn. It certainly was brutal as someone here mentioned, and definitely full of dark comedy (though it definitely wasn't strictly a comedy).
The scene of Nick's death by the Troglodytes was the most brutal fuckin thing I've ever seen in a movie. Rivals beheading videos for it's gruesomeness, IMO.
I didn't quite expect the horror element to the movie but I thought it was a very well done movie overall, though definitely a bit "weird." But that's refreshing to me; there's too much bland bullshit these days anyway. Highly recommended but not for squeamish types.

Oh and I loved Matthew Fox in this movie. LOL, what a badass. So awesome; great performance by him I thought.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Trumbo!
If you like movies, this will be worth while.
I never knew Hedda Hopper (incredibly played by Helen Mirren) was such a conservative bitch.
And John Wayne too (played by David James Elliott).

John Goodman played Frank King head of King Brothers Productions in the 1960's that turned out B movies at best until Dalton Trumbo, blacklisted as a Hollywood Commie, handed King Brothers Productions the script "The Brave One" (1956) which won the Oscar for best screenplay.

Dalton Trumbo also wrote Roman Holiday, Exodus, Spartacus, under factious names because Hollywood would have nothing to do with work written by blacklisted Dalton Trumbo.
Amazing film!

ps. After the ending credits and photos of the actual Dalton Trumbo roll, stick around for an actual movie clip of Dalton Trumbo speaking.
Amazing, amazing film!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

Kinda funny when I first looked at the post I read it as Trumpbo, I thought of Donald Trump with a M-60. :p

Looks like my kind of a movie, I'll have to check that out.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. 8.3/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1638355/?ref_=nv_sr_2

But I'm a bit of a sucker for Guy Ritchie movies to begin with.

I wish he would make another RocknRolla, I think he was going to but they pushed him to do the second Sherlock Holmes instead.

I'm starting to like Alicia Vikander more all the time, that babe from Ex Machina.

Last edited:

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Vikander is pretty damn good in everything I've seen her in thus far.
Testament of Youth she was great in, too

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Finally watched the evil dead trilogy-

Evil Dead - 8/10
Evil Dead 2 - 9/10
Army of darkness - 6/10

Really surprised how slapstick army of darkness got - I think if I had seen it as a teenager I would have loved it, but now I just couldn't get in to it- parts seemed over the top corny/cheese ball, but did get better as it went on...first half had me wondering what the fuck I was watching.

I also watched the first episode of Ash vs Evil Dead- solid 9/10...imo a much better blend of horror/comedy than Army of Darkness.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Busy week being out of town for Thanksgiving, watched a bunch of DVDs and made a couple trips to the theater as well.

Spectre -- 7/10
Pretty much a standard bond flick, I didn't dislike it as much as I expected to based on some other remarks I've seen. It did drag a bit in the middle though, there seemed to be quite a few scenes unnecessarily building on a story. It's bond, just give me a car chase and some action sequences and a bond girl, then call it a day.

It also did that thing where the movie could have ended 20-25 minutes before it did. I sorta wish it would have.

Straight Outta Compton -- 4/10
Wasn't in to it. I realize what it's about, I realize that the vocabulary of those individuals probably isn't the greatest, but this is one of the few movies where the usage of the F word started to get to me. I'm fine with it when used periodically, or when used for emphasis or in rage or something -- heck, I was mostly fine with it in Wolf of Wall Street, but one sentence shouldn't contain the F word 4-5 times. It was irritating.

The Good Lie -- 6/10
Below expectations for me. Was expecting a bit more involvement from Reese Whitherspoon, but my wife said it perfectly: It felt like she was just there to have a big name attached to the movie. This wasn't a bad movie overall, it was actually ok. I realize since it's based on a true story that there's only so much you want to change, but ... bleh.

Radio -- 7/10
Movie about a mentally challenged kid and a coach from his high school. Was pretty good. Cuba Gooding Jr played the kid, and ... the teeth, oh my, the teeth.

Dope -- 8/10
Really liked this one, thought it was well acted and the 90s hip hop vibe definitely helps this one out. :D

Avengers: Age of Ultron -- 4/10
Man, this one was weird. This falls into the category of "Movies that should have just been left alone." The first Avengers was good enough. I really liked it. Was funny, had good action, etc. This one though? Robots. Robots everywhere. I didn't find it all that funny, in fact, I'd probably have turned it off halfway through if I was watching it alone. Maybe I'm getting too old for these comic adaptations. I dunno. I don't feel this one lived up to the standard of the first Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy. Still, it could have been worse, and it was at least mildly entertaining.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
i just watched my first ever M*A*S*H* episode :) 7/10
40 years late, it's gotta be a record.

i like it mostly because of the sexual harassment. makes me miss the 70s.

SPOILER ALERT:
It wasn't a chicken, it was their baby.

Man that show really sucked after Alda got behind the camera.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Finally watched the evil dead trilogy-

Evil Dead - 8/10
Evil Dead 2 - 9/10
Army of darkness - 6/10

Really surprised how slapstick army of darkness got - I think if I had seen it as a teenager I would have loved it, but now I just couldn't get in to it- parts seemed over the top corny/cheese ball, but did get better as it went on...first half had me wondering what the fuck I was watching.

I also watched the first episode of Ash vs Evil Dead- solid 9/10...imo a much better blend of horror/comedy than Army of Darkness.

Ash vs Evil Dead is REALLY awesome. Does a great job (if not better) than capturing the spirit of the originals. I really am shocked more people aren't talking about this show.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Ash vs Evil Dead is REALLY awesome. Does a great job (if not better) than capturing the spirit of the originals. I really am shocked more people aren't talking about this show.

It's on Starz. As much as I like Evil Dead I'm not getting Starz.

Status
Not open for further replies.