NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 410 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Everest 7/10
When Everest was over, I was looking at my watch thinking that it must have been a very short movie... that's probably a pretty good indicator of how engrossed I was in it.

As a lot of people here know, I'm an alpine-style climber. In the climbing community, the events of the '96 Everest disaster are pretty well known, which unfortunately took away the suspense of the movie (I knew in advance who lives/who dies/etc.). That said, it was a pretty good disaster movie that kept me interested the whole time. It had some really good action pieces, and at least one scene of real gut-wrenching drama.

So what follows is fairly picky. The very first shot of the movie shows a line of climbers on the Lhotse Face; one of the very first guys in frame is holding his ice ax backwards... as soon as I saw it, I laughed out loud and knew that the movie was probably not going to be super technically accurate. That said, while I've never been within thousands of miles of Everest, the sets in the movie looked pretty close to the pictures I've seen of specific parts of the route.

I guess one thing that was off was the acting. The veteran climbers I've known have a personality & swagger that might be described as "tougher than shit with (sometimes more than) just a hint of stoned." In Everest the guy who played Anatoli Boukreev (AKA the Russian guy) more or less nailed it... Jake Gyllenhaal was pretty close, but didn't quite get it. The guy who played Rob Hall was just wrong. He didn't seem at all like any guide I've ever met.

Thanks for the insight. :thumbsup: I'll have to check it out on IMAX.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Fast and Furious 7. 7/10. Okay, that rating is a little high.
...but it was good entertainment. I hated the previous effort.

The action was almost non-stop. The brief pauses were cheesy vignettes and segways.

I heard a brilliant analogy the other day. These movies have the same ingredients as most comic book inspired movies. Heroes bigger than life, some lead, some specialize, all our loyal to each other, the action is always over the top and unrealistic, etc.

Eh, it's a bad movie that is very entertaining and it will bring a smile to your face.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
wow, that is shocking; i have never considered johnny depp to be a competent actor.
not sure if i will be watching it at the theaters, though.

huh? I don't like half the movies he is in...but I couldn't never muster saying he is a bad actor.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Actually watched The Stand for the first time. Was long and drawn out. 7/10

Most of Stephen Kings books are really big. Whenever they make a movie from one it usually cuts out a LOT of material. In the case of the Stand he didnt want to remove much so they made a miniseries. Since it was based on a book it makes it seem drawn out.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Actually watched The Stand for the first time. Was long and drawn out. 7/10

If you watched it when it first came out, your score would probably be higher. It's one of my favorite good versus evil stories, but the series does not stand up to the test of time, unless you picture the devil as the Marlboro Man.

Rudderless 2014 Billy Crudup Anton Yelchin 7/10

William H Macy's directorial debut? Somewhere between Hallmark and a pre-Avatar M. Night film imo. Slightly ruined by the inclusion of some Disney actress, it has a twist that keeps you watching til the end. Decent overall, worth a rent from your library.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Penn & Teller : Fool Us Season 2 7/10 - season 1 was a British production while season two is American. The cast is the same and so is the format yet somehow I didn't like season one as much as I liked season one. Lost some of its charm crossing the pond.

My theory is Penn was a little better behaved in season one.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
The Last Ship: 8.5/10 - I love when I find a good show that's still running and I can binge watch it from the beginning. I love the action and suspense in this tv series. I was surprised to see Michael Bay's name attached to it, but I can see it's no ordinary tv drama. My only complaint - why on God's earth in season 2 did they have to go the direction of British soldiers and their annoying accents and vocabulary? I gotta listen to them the entire season? *sigh*

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. Its not funny. At least, not as funny as Seinfeld. Have not yet LoL'd once. For some reason I cant stop watching though.

Basically what I'm getting from this is:

Most jews are assholes.
All Californians are assholes.
Larry David has no clue how other human beings operate. He also has no interest in learning.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I just went back and watched the first episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm again, havent seen it in probably 12+ years. This show is so damn good, love the situations Larry gets in. 9/10

I really need to get around to watching Seinfeld since I have never seen it and love Curb/Larry David

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
A Nightmare on Elm Street - hah
Platoon - I should see this some time
Edward Scissorhands - Depp killed it
Benny & Joon - Never saw it but it was loved.

Awwwww Screw it
Code:
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    Platoon (1986)
    Cry-Baby (1990)
    Edward Scissorhands (1990)
    Benny & Joon (1993)
    What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)
    Ed Wood (1994)
    Dead Man (1995)
    Don Juan DeMarco (1995)
    Donnie Brasco (1997)
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
    The Ninth Gate (1999)
    Sleepy Hollow (1999)
    The Astronaut's Wife (1999)
    Before Night Falls (2000)
    Chocolat (2000)
    Blow (2001)
    From Hell (2001)
    Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
    Secret Window (2004)
    Finding Neverland (2004)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
    Corpse Bride (2005)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
    Public Enemies (2009)
    Alice in Wonderland (2010)
    The Tourist (2010)
    Rango (2011)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
    The Rum Diary (2011)
    Dark Shadows (2012)
    The Lone Ranger (2013)
    Transcendence (2014)
    Into the Woods (2014)
    Mortdecai (2015)
    Black Mass (2015)
    Yoga Hosers (2015)
    Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)

I want the Johny Depp Box set. Regading Human Emotions.... if he had one or two hits that fit into the "never acted human emotions" description. Fine .... you win. But when he can do it time and time again with success...... there is something there. This is not the equivalent of a one hit wonder. This is Milli Vanilli having 10 gold records and not lip syncing kind of talent. I'm not sure where I am going with that. But it is good. As in saying that it is more than good luck and good timing. Good luck and timing only gets you a 2 year career ... not a 30+ year career. He'd be partying with the likes of one of the two Correy's if that were the case. He would not have a career like Tom Cruise if he truly had no tallent.

have you seen these films? i have. the ones where he approaches normal acting are donnie brasco, where he's made of wood, blow (the 2-3 scenes with his family, which are mediocre), and dead man, the first 5 minutes, where he gets pushed around both physically and metaphorically by actors better than him.

everything else, his characters are either on drugs ( and he doesnt do a good druggie either) or mad, or complete fantasy.

the man is a character. he gets cast because of his visual impact, not because of his acting technique.

i never said he sucks. but i guess he would suck if they every gave him a difficult part.

I think what hes trying to say (and I agree) is that Depp never plays a part with true depth. Hes a character actor and a good one but doesnt really touch anyone with a true inner connection to a character.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. Its not funny. At least, not as funny as Seinfeld. Have not yet LoL'd once. For some reason I cant stop watching though.

Basically what I'm getting from this is:

Most jews are assholes.
All Californians are assholes.
Larry David has no clue how other human beings operate. He also has no interest in learning.
You must be seriously bored. I tried watching that once and would rather watch Sponge Bob.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
City of God (2002): 10/10. I recently rewatched this with my wife. She had never seen it, and she was exhausted and swore to me she was going to pass out if made to watch a subtitled film. She was wrong. It's absolutely riveting. Even though the film-making techniques often feel amateurish, the story and acting is beyond reproach; it feels real. Hell, for some of the actors involved, it was real. For those who are unfamiliar with the film, it's a Brazilian movie following the lives of boys/young men growing up in a poverty-stricken suburb of Rio de Janeiro in the 60s, 70s and 80s, detailing how crime and drugs impact their lives living in a system that doesn't care if they live or die. And it's all based on actual events. It's a shock to the system to realize how shitty life can be in other parts of the world. Absolutely my favorite foreign language film of all time and a must watch for anyone who considers themselves a film buff.

again, because of your post, I saw another documentary:
Children Underground 9/10

filmmaker follows a group of homeless children living in a subway station in Romania.

watch free from the film makers site:
http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/children_underground

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Well, yeah. I mean, Sponge Bob is awesome.
Here's one you might want to check out. It's not a comedy but does have some very low key humor. It's a CBC show called The Pinkertons. It's slightly reminiscent of Murdoch Mysteries and takes place a few decades earlier - around the late 1860's I think whereas I think Murdoch is more 1880's-90's.

The production values aren't as good and trying to find it somewhere is not an easy task, but it's very watchable.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
City of God (2002): 10/10. I recently rewatched this with my wife. She had never seen it, and she was exhausted and swore to me she was going to pass out if made to watch a subtitled film. She was wrong. It's absolutely riveting. Even though the film-making techniques often feel amateurish, the story and acting is beyond reproach; it feels real. Hell, for some of the actors involved, it was real. For those who are unfamiliar with the film, it's a Brazilian movie following the lives of boys/young men growing up in a poverty-stricken suburb of Rio de Janeiro in the 60s, 70s and 80s, detailing how crime and drugs impact their lives living in a system that doesn't care if they live or die. And it's all based on actual events. It's a shock to the system to realize how shitty life can be in other parts of the world. Absolutely my favorite foreign language film of all time and a must watch for anyone who considers themselves a film buff.

It's a lovely film.

I thought it was very good.

I'll go 8.9/10

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
I just went back and watched the first episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm again, havent seen it in probably 12+ years. This show is so damn good, love the situations Larry gets in. 9/10

I really need to get around to watching Seinfeld since I have never seen it and love Curb/Larry David

Yes. Yes you do.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Anyone seen Black Mass yet, speaking of Johnny Depp movies?
Yes. Great movie but really violent - as one might expect. One of the people I went with kept covering her face. It wasn't really any worse than most tv violence I've seen but I guess different people have different tolerances.

Anyway, I though Depp was superb in his acting. He really sold the role. Cumberbatch was good but doesn't really have much face time in this movie, despite the billings. Kevin Bacon was ok and the rest of the supporting cast was competent but the guy who played the corrupt FBI agent sorta sucked. He was ok in the low intensity scenes but just barely. Where he was a little annoying was in scenes where it looked like he would be outed. Also you had situations where in one scene he would be all flustered and stumbling but in the next scene he appeared overly confident. That might just be crappy directing though.

Also, the story only covers Bulger's time on the run as a brief epilogue. The rest of the movie concentrates on Bulger's rise to power due to
his being protected from inside the FBI.
It also covers the machinations inside the bureau.

Even if you're familiar with the Whitey Bulger story, the movie does a very good job of holding your attention for 2 hours.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Mad Max "Fury Road": 7/10

I was a bit let down by this movie after all the hype. Where the movie shines is the action scenes, they were AWESOME! Top notch stuff, there is quite a bit but I wish there would have been more (I guess I got spoiled). Any time between action scenes just drags the movie down. The plot was a complete throw away, it was literally "I'm Mad Max and I am here to fight" with a bunch of forgettable fluff. Good popcorn action flick but just don't expect much more than that.

Oh and the heavy metal guitar player on the truck bumped it from a 6 to a 7 :p Awesome addition to the movie!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.