NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 403 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
duragezic said:
San Andreas 6.5/10
Decent action movie. Blake is win too.

Glory 6.5/10
Somewhat older movie about a company of black soldiers in the civil war.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?
did you just equate San Andreas and Glory? Jeebus Christ.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
There was a lull maybe mid season 3. Probably contract negotiations were going on.
It sounds like you are talking about their most highly rated (critically) episode: FLY

I hated it too. Most viewers did. The only reason that particular episode has such high critical praise is because it is so different from every other episode. It just seemed like a Looney Tunes short dragged out an hour long to me.

I'm going through the series a third time and we've skipped that episode twice now. It can be skipped because it's a "bottle" episode. In order to keep the pacing I described (and praised) they had 12 episodes for the season instead of the 13 the network had ordered. They had to make something that could be inserted without changing anything.

There is a visual callback to season 2 events that we only see in a flashback that happens in the next episode (can you really call that a "callback?") and Walt admits something we suspected in an inconsequential way that doesn't even register with the other character (both were falling asleep), so it really changes nothing.

Last edited:

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
It sounds like you are talking about their most highly rated (critically) episode: FLY

I hated it too. Most viewers did. The only reason that particular episode has such high critical praise is because it is so different from every other episode. It just seemed like a Looney Tunes short dragged out an hour long to me.

I'm going through the series a third time and we've skipped that episode twice now. It can be skipped because it's a "bottle" episode. In order to keep the pacing I described (and praised) they had 12 episodes for the season instead of the 13 the network had ordered. They had to make something that could be inserted without changing anything.

There is a visual callback to season 2 events that we only see in a flashback that happens in the next episode (can you really call that a "callback?") and Walt admits something we suspected in an inconsequential way that doesn't even register with the other character (both were falling asleep), so it really changes nothing.

That episode annoyed me back when I was watching it week to week, because the anticipation was so high for every episode. The second time through I watched them all very close together and I enjoyed it.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

I hated it too. Most viewers did.

Maybe in your universe of acquaintances, but not in mine. :colbert:

;)

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Maybe in your universe of acquaintances, but not in mine. :colbert:

;)
All of my acquaintances who have seen the show saw it through me and I don't let my acquaintances watch that one so that they can't disagree with me about it. :p That's just a stupid way of saying that I wasn't talking about my acquaintances:
"Fly" is arguably the show's most polarizing episode. It has been widely praised by critics; several publications have described it one of the series' finest episodes, particularly for its cinematography and for the dynamic between Walt and Jesse. On the other hand, the episode remains the subject of very mixed reception from audiences, some ranking it among the worst episodes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_(Breaking_Bad)#Reviews

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
Frankenstein (1931) I have to here Colin Clive utter that classic line; "It's Alive, It's Alive Now I know what it feels like to be God."

I still rate it a 9/10 and is because of the opening credits that don't list Boris Karloff or acknowledge Mary Shelley. For quotes, not horror film quotes one of my favorite is by Mary Shelley: "Invention, it must be humbly admitted, does not consist in creating out of void, but out of chaos. I take heart in what I envision the impending chaos the future of our world.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The Man from UNCLE: 7/10 - I will preface that I never saw the television show, nor have any interest in seeing. I was entertained, but there were a few things that really brought the score down for me. The terrible 70s transitions were terrible. I hated them in The Devil's Rejects and I hate them even more in this. They were terrible in the 70s and haven't gotten better with age. Stop doing them. Armie Hammer was also not a terribly convincing Russian. He is far too pretty boy to pass as an elite KGB agent, even one that is supposed to be a Russian Bond. He really lacks grit I'd prefer. My third gripe was the
betrayal. It was so easy to see coming. The girl was far too capable to not be an agent of some kind. And, the romance seemed very forced. Plus, she drank 3 glasses of Vodka and passed out in 5 minutes... Come on now.
Other than those things, I liked the movie.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The Transporter Refueled - 5.5/10

I couldn't give it a 6 but a 5 seemed too low. It was a competent action movie. The chases were good but not ooo-ahhh great. Fight scenes were reasonably well choreographed. Lost a point just because the final fight scene wasn't believable when compared to the others. It was obviously done just to advance the plot.

The story was rudimentary and didn't hang together all that well. They tried to create some mystery at the beginning about the motivation of this band of female thieves but w/o more of a backstory it didn't really work. However on the plus side, hot chicas, cool boats and of course the mandatory Audi S8, one of which gets blown up - saddest part of the movie.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The story of the first 3 Transporter movies were all identical. I haven't seen this new one, but I imagine the package he has to transport is a girl and then something goes slightly wrong and everyone overreacts and he then proceeds to beat up everyone. Am I close?

I saw the guy that stars in the movie on the Men in Blazers and he was funny and likes soccer. If that means anything.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The story of the first 3 Transporter movies were all identical. I haven't seen this new one, but I imagine the package he has to transport is a girl and then something goes slightly wrong and everyone overreacts and he then proceeds to beat up everyone. Am I close?

I saw the guy that stars in the movie on the Men in Blazers and he was funny and likes soccer. If that means anything.
No, it doesn't follow the traditional formula - well, not exactly. There are elements that it had to have to claim the designation 'Transporter' but it largely departed from the traditional formula. The problem is that the old formula worked. Even when they made the tv show they were smart enough to follow the formula with some small deviations. In this remake, they don't break the mold but do go substantially off-script.

The transport element isn't even a dominate theme. There are a couple scenes where he has to get the thieves from point A to B and there are chases involved but that's not really the focus of the plot. It's more about the thieves, what they're trying to do and how and their motivation. The transporter guy is almost a parallel subplot.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Poltergeist (2015): Honestly, I'm usually pretty forgiving of movies, and perhaps I'm being a bit harder on it because I'm such a big fan of the original ... but ... damn, this was just awful. Completely uninspired. Felt, at times, as if it almost trying to be a parody? Acting was really terrible (and I generally like Rockwell/Harris). I really struggled to finish it, actually stopped it twice and had to go back to finish. 2/10? Maybe? Would love to hear what others thought of it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
wild - 7/10 - i didn't realize this was such an artsy fartsy movie, but i did enjoy it. it was definitely very slow, but something about it kept me engaged and intrigued throughout the whole movie. reese witherspoon did a great job too, especially after seeing that pile of shit Hot Pursuit over the weekend.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

when that episode aired, my friends and i referred to it as the "dream episode from the sopranos". it was just awful and out of place, and complete filler, just like the sopranos dream episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.