NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 402 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Southpaw 7/10
Pretty good. If you liked the Rocky movies you'd probably like it.

Tomorrow, When the War Began 6.5/10
Also pretty good. Similar to the Red Dawn movies which I liked.

San Andreas 6.5/10
Decent action movie. Blake is win too.

Glory 6.5/10
Somewhat older movie about a company of black soldiers in the civil war.

Want to see Mission Impossible Rogue Nation. Come out on DVD plz!

As far as TV:
Strike Back 10/10
I watched the first couple seasons years ago then just didn't keep up with for some reason. Last month started it from the first season and love it. I didn't like Season 5 as much as the rest... went downhill a bit, but still great. I was a big fan of The Unit and had been looking for similar shows. Strike Back is better in a lot of ways especially if you didn't like the wife drama in The Unit.

The Last Ship 10/10
Awesome show. Season 2 finale tomorrow.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
unfinished business - 7/10 - i expected this to be like a 5/10 before i watched it, but i was pleasantly surprised. the older dude stole the show though, he was hilarious. vince vaughn was his usual self too. dave franco though has to go. that dude sucks. he just annoys me and is an all around terrible actor. i was debating dropping my rating a point or two just because of him, but i think the other 2 made up for him.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I haven't seen that, but I liked The Life Aquatic and The Grand Budapest Hotel (all from same director). People say Bottle Rocket is good, and I think he's the star in that.
in Zoolander he's good.

in the grand budapest + darjeeling limited he's inoffensive.

in everything else he's terrible.

wait .. was he in the grand budapest ?
is it a cameo when he summons all the maitres d' near the end?
also, i did not see the life acquatic or bottle rocket, too scared to get the usual owen wilson treatment. he's really a light comedy actor, shouldn't be cast in anything else.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Graceland - 7/10

Just watched Graceland (tv series) - well most of it. I'm somewhere early in season 3 (and no, I don't have a life). I know a lot of people hate this show but for a tv series on basic cable, it's not bad, which is why I gave it a 7. I can see many people giving it something as low as a 4 or 5.

It's an interesting twist on the cop show genre and although there aren't really any surprises in terms of who lives and dies, the stories do tend to have unexpected twists.

One of the things I think it does well is the interpersonal conflict w/o having excessive amounts of drama. The conflicts tend to get resolved in a satisfying way even though characters do often come close to offing each other.

There's also a good amount of action that doesn't just rely on a big bad to move the story along. It does have that element of course but it doesn't overwhelm the story, at least in my opinion.

I never watched this when it was on live tv because it just seemed like another stupid cop show and like I said, it does fit that genre to some extent but it's different enough and interesting enough to be worth watching.

Season 3 seems to be taking a turn to the metaphysical but I think that's probably a head fake. We'll see. As long as they handle it competently I think it could work and add a new element to the show.

Ratings aren't great and I'm not optimistic about it making a fourth season though.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
in Zoolander he's good.

in the grand budapest + darjeeling limited he's inoffensive.

in everything else he's terrible.

wait .. was he in the grand budapest ?
is it a cameo when he summons all the maitres d' near the end?
also, i did not see the life acquatic or bottle rocket, too scared to get the usual owen wilson treatment. he's really a light comedy actor, shouldn't be cast in anything else.

Like pretty much all of Wes Anderson's other movies, The Life Aquatic is a comedy.

In The Grand Budapest Hotel (an institution, BTW), he was the employee the writer befriended before receiving the story from Zero (the old lobby boy/current owner). It wasn't a bit part.

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
No Escape - 7.5/10
Just got back from this. I liked it quite a bit. It was pretty damn suspenseful throughout most of it, after the intro quarter of it anyway. Good acting I thought. Some politics, which I had read earlier, but it was confined to a few sentences and I didn't mind. The only thing I guess I scoffed at was Brosnan taking like a 100+ yard shot with his pistol and hitting a guy in one shot, lol. But whatever. I'm glad I went to see it.

Sep 29, 2004
Maggie - 5/10 - not a zombie movie. A drama. If you are looking the mood for a different theme for a drama, this is worth a rental. But be warned, that 5/10 is how I rate this as a drama.

I'd rate the gore at infrequent and not that graphic.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Breaking bad picks up right? Having a really hard time focusing on S1E2.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

Does it ever! I felt the same as you at that point. I questioned my decision to continue past the pilot but I soon realized just how wrong I was about the show.

This show is all about pacing. It builds and builds and builds until every episode is nerve-wrackingly awesome, even where they are just setting things up for a big move in another episode. Even when you think there is a huge resolution just around the corner, it never lets up until the very end.

Sep 29, 2004
Does it ever! I felt the same as you at that point. I questioned my decision to continue past the pilot but I soon realized just how wrong I was about the show.

This show is all about pacing. It builds and builds and builds until every episode is nerve-wrackingly awesome, even where they are just setting things up for a big move in another episode. Even when you think there is a huge resolution just around the corner, it never lets up until the very end.

There was a lull maybe mid season 3. Probably contract negotiations were going on.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Here's the fun thing about Breaking Bad ... it saves the best episodes for the end! I almost quit watching multiple times in S3-S4, but my wife kept watching, so I did too. In my opinion, the final 8 episodes are the best consecutive 8 episodes of any TV show I've seen, and it's not even close. Definitely worth sticking this one out.

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004

I nearly turned it off about episode 3, but people told me to keep watching so I did. I think it was about half way through season 1, before I started to get interested. By the end of it all, it is one of the best shows I have ever watched.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Trainwreck -- 7/10
Was definitely more of a romantic comedy than I assumed it would be, but I thought it was actually a pretty good one. /shrug

Pitch Perfect 2 -2000000/10

wtf did I just watch?

Basically the same as the first movie, just not quite as good. I figured it would be terrible compared to the first, so even being tolerable is unexpected, and I actually enjoyed it.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Hero "Ying xiong" - 9.9/10

This is like the 4th time or so I've watched this movie -- but I just find it an incredible work of art. The cinematography, the story telling... I just find it damn near perfect. The only reason I detract .1 points is the often annoying screaming/yelling by the female characters -- like nails on a chalkboard. Just annoys the hell out of me.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
American Sniper -- 8/10

Finally got around to watching this. Pretty damned good. Cooper definitely acts his ass off. I felt the end was a little rushed about his work with vets after he retires. They could have expanded on it even just a little bit. Literally spent 5 more minutes on it. All in all, it was top notch stuff. Eastwood delivers again.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I nearly turned it off about episode 3, but people told me to keep watching so I did. I think it was about half way through season 1, before I started to get interested. By the end of it all, it is one of the best shows I have ever watched.

I never finished it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.