NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 401 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
If breaking the mold is falling in the grade school writing chasm 97 out of every 100 feature films luxuriate in, the mold must be somewhat fragile.

$100,000,000 of eye candy for people who's eyes don't plug into anything.

You know nothing, John Snow. J/K

I'd still put Fury Road at about 7 for acting and a 6.5 for story line.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

On a lighter note.

Edge of Tomorrow 10/10

Utterly unexpected! Groundhog Day meets The War of the Worlds ...and a so rare good use of Bill Paxton.

And yes, Edge of Tomorrow I liked.

I all ready liked Emily Blunt but yeah.

10/10 seems much.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
portman/kunis scene = 10/10 alone.

I'll agree for that scene only at any rate.

Doesn't make the whole movie a 10 though.

Kill the Messenger is one of my favorites lately.

I love when "Know Your Rights" from Combat Rock kicks in.

8.3/10

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Mad Max Fury Road - 8/10 - cool action movie but other than the car chase stuff (which is basically the whole movie) it didn't feel like a mad max movie. I'm a big fan of the originals. Max seemed lile a secondary character in this movie. It could be a believable movie set in that universe just shouldn't carry the mad max mame though.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Mad Max Fury Road - 8/10 - cool action movie but other than the car chase stuff (which is basically the whole movie) it didn't feel like a mad max movie. I'm a big fan of the originals. Max seemed lile a secondary character in this movie. It could be a believable movie set in that universe just shouldn't carry the mad max mame though.

After watching Fury Road (fun!), I watched the original. The original was incomprehensible and absolutely horrible.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
So no one's seen "No Escape" (other than JEDI I think)? I think I'm gonna go this weekend; maybe this evening. Critics didn't like it too much but they can eat shit anyway. The viewers give it a higher score than critics and that means more to me than the critics on this one (I understand I'm not going to see some groundbreaking "2001 Space Odyssey" movie, I'm just going to be entertained).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So no one's seen "No Escape" (other than JEDI I think)? I think I'm gonna go this weekend; maybe this evening. Critics didn't like it too much but they can eat shit anyway. The viewers give it a higher score than critics and that means more to me than the critics on this one (I understand I'm not going to see some groundbreaking "2001 Space Odyssey" movie, I'm just going to be entertained).

That movie looks so dumb. And it has Owen Wilson as the lead so it loses a lot of points by default.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
That movie looks so dumb. And it has Owen Wilson as the lead so it loses a lot of points by default.
lol, I like Owen Wilson. He's just a likeable dude... kinda surprised you don't.

And yeah, like I said, it doesn't look like Oscar material. But dumb? Meh, different strokes I guess.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
Goodbye World 8/10. This is a movie about the fall of civilization, I thought the acting was great, and it was a pretty good movie. It's on Netflix right now. Usually I say these types of movies are crap, but this one was good.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Goodbye World 8/10. This is a movie about the fall of civilization, I thought the acting was great, and it was a pretty good movie. It's on Netflix right now. Usually I say these types of movies are crap, but this one was good.
Yeah that was a pretty good one, I thought too. I'd probably give it 7/10.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

After watching Fury Road (fun!), I watched the original. The original was incomprehensible and absolutely horrible.
Not as bog a fan of the first one but the 2 i like better

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Sounds interesting. Will check it out. Thanks.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

thx for pointing me to this movie.
I liked it. 7.5/10

I liked the convergence of close college friends all winding up back together again.

I liked that none of them are military or have a cache of guns.
it's refreshing to have a doomsday scenario w/o some of the main chars being kung fu experts with a bazillion weapons.

I didn't like them using military deserters as the bad guys. didn't seem that realistic.
how about using a couple of outlaw bikers or something?
or heck, red neck bully types w/guns.

I also didn't like how the parents enabled the kid when she threw a tantrum.
smack her. give her a time out. something... besides just giving in to her

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Mad Max: Fury Road - 7/10
Having not seen more than scenes of the originals, there were some strong RAGE parallels--which is apparently similar to Road Warrior. Not a lot of story or transition. The language changes got arbitrary in some parts. Action sequences are quite intense, though the reliance on sensory overload and luck is a bit high.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
A Walk in the Woods -- 6/10

Entirely pleasant, nothing remarkable or "must see" compelling. Robert Redford looks ooooold, but is still one handsome devil, and a fine actor, master of the easy and understated. He's entirely at home in his skin, and it shows. Nick Nolte is so much Nick Nolte, you tend to think he's the exact same dob/rascal/reprobate IRL, which he may be for all I know.

At one point, Nolte is to hook up with a woman he met in a laundromat. Unbeknownst to him, she's married and the husband finds out. He describes her to Redford as having a great body . . . under about 300 pounds of fat. He opines that there are only two men in the world who would want to have sex with her -- him and her husband.

"What are the odds we'd be in the same town?" he tells Redford. :p

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Owen Wilson was only good in one film in his whole career, and it's not the Darjeeling Express.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Owen Wilson was only good in one film in his whole career, and it's not the Darjeeling Express[Limited].
I haven't seen that, but I liked The Life Aquatic and The Grand Budapest Hotel (all from same director). People say Bottle Rocket is good, and I think he's the star in that.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

lol, I like Owen Wilson. He's just a likeable dude... kinda surprised you don't.

And yeah, like I said, it doesn't look like Oscar material. But dumb? Meh, different strokes I guess.

I'll agree with purbeast one this one.

I've just never been an Owen Wilson fan.

He annoys me I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.