NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 399 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter

8/10

3 part German drama about 5 friends during WW2, the show got a fair bit of criticism for downplaying the Nazi atrocity's and also portraying the polish resistance as 100% antisemitic but all things considered I thought the acting and story pretty solid.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Kingsman: the secret service - 4/10

it AUTOMATICALLY loses 2 points for sam jackson's lisp, so it's starting at an 8 by default. had i stopped watching it with like 10 minutes left i probably would give it a 6 or 7, but the last 10 minutes the movie completely went to shit.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Star Trek: Voyager. 6/10.
I thought I had seen most of the first 3 season but upon viewing I noticed that I had seen less than a third of the episodes. The addition of 7/9 ok at first but got boring fast. I also could not accept that you could copy a holographic novel but not the EMH. really? How many shuttles got destroyed during the show? I lost count but I think they had limited supplies in the first season and they had to trade for food instead of using the replicators. I season 7 they get trapped in a void and trade for better replicators technology but at this time they forgot that they had limited supplies in the first place.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Only one person has seen Straight Outta Compton? I want to see it. I'm interested in the story but also hope that it stands on it's own.

8/10 from me as well. Particularly enjoyable if you grew up during that 90's west coast rap era.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Star Trek: Voyager. 6/10.
I thought I had seen most of the first 3 season but upon viewing I noticed that I had seen less than a third of the episodes. The addition of 7/9 ok at first but got boring fast. I also could not accept that you could copy a holographic novel but not the EMH. really? How many shuttles got destroyed during the show? I lost count but I think they had limited supplies in the first season and they had to trade for food instead of using the replicators. I season 7 they get trapped in a void and trade for better replicators technology but at this time they forgot that they had limited supplies in the first place.

I watched the entire series on 2010 and I recall that the resolved the resource problem preventing them from using replicators in an early season. I recall a plot point that Neelix was nervous that they wouldn't need him as the cook anymore and he was worried that they might not keep him around.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Mad Max (1979) - 1/10

What pile of crap. Don't bother wasting your time watching this highly overrated movie.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Kingsman: the secret service - 4/10

it AUTOMATICALLY loses 2 points for sam jackson's lisp, so it's starting at an 8 by default. had i stopped watching it with like 10 minutes left i probably would give it a 6 or 7, but the last 10 minutes the movie completely went to shit.

The Lisp did annoy me also.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Mad Max (1979) - 1/10

What pile of crap. Don't bother wasting your time watching this highly overrated movie.

I guess you had to be there at the time...

That isn't Fury Road if you are speaking of the one most people are these days.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I guess you had to be there at the time...

That isn't Fury Road if you are speaking of the one most people are these days.

To be fair The Road Warrior was better than the original but I don't think either had much substance until Beyond Thunderdome.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
To be fair The Road Warrior was better than the original but I don't think either had much substance until Beyond Thunderdome.

I still think the Road Warrior was better than Beyond Thunderdome, but I guess it's personal preference.

Was the sell out stage, and glad they did Fury Road right myself.

To each his own.

:cool:

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Mad Max: The Road Warrior - 6/10

Enjoyable but its a one time viewing kind of movie for me as the story wasn't really compelling.

Mad Max: Beyond the Thunderdome - 1/10

Felt like I was watching a Peter Pan movie with the Lost Boys going up against Captain Hook.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Mad Max: The Road Warrior - 6/10

Enjoyable but its a one time viewing kind of movie for me as the story wasn't really compelling.

Mad Max: Beyond the Thunderdome - 1/10

Felt like I was watching a Peter Pan movie with the Lost Boys going up against Captain Hook.

You're just mad because Tina Turner was more manly than you. :colbert:

Seriously though, I didn't mean BT was 'good'. I just meant the first 2 movies really didn't have any sort of plot at all.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
it was not in the script. he decided to add it "for art" because "it made the character interesting".

I'm sure he was trying to make something unique and trying to make it work.

It did seem to hurt the movie more than it helped IMHO.

Someone should overturned that one.

I'm sure they were more than happy to have him there just for name draw.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
NO ESCAPE with Owen Wilson (released this week) keeps you on the edge of your seat.
A bit much of a fairy tale considering the luck of the family dodging bullets, bombs, and their discovery.

When Jack (Owen Wilson) goes to the market the next morning, he finds himself caught in the middle of a violent rebellion headed by armed rebels executing foreigners. Jack must get back to the hotel and with the help of a mysterious British "tourist" (Pierce Brosnan), must get his family to the American Embassy in the midst of the chaos. But is there any escape?

In a way I couldn't help but thinking of how Americans feel about those we consider a threat to our way of life.
The illegal immigrants.
Minus the violence.
Unless you consider words could be taken as violence?
In the movie, we cheer on the intruders, the Americans.
In real life over here, we cheer on the threatened homeland citizens. Americans.
I guess it all depends on which side of the looking glass you are looking through?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Straight Outta Compton -
As a documentary: 6/10
As a drama: 0/10
ending to the movie: 0/10

Honestly a pretty boring movie with no real direction. I got through the whole movie. Don't get me wrong. It was entertaining. But for the same reason Jerry Springer was so popular years ago. It's hard to see a train wreck and not stare at it.

It just tells you the story of NWA. It was honestly just a well done documentary. And as documentaries go, I've seen much better.

I don't like calling it a drama because I could care less about any single character. There was no emotional attachment, no romantic interest. Nothing. These 90% RT scores are bullshit.

When the movie ended (no shocker
It was basically when Easy-E died
) I realized, the movie could have ended at any point past 80 minutes. Why 80 minutes? they could have justified the price of admission quite easily.

Now take the same set of writers and focus the movie on Easy E maybe and it would have been great. I'm talking Boyz in The Hood great. It would have actually been a drama.

Save your money and find out if there is already an NWA documentary available.

Last edited:

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Last couple months:

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - 7/10
A lot funnier than i'd expected.

Terminator Genisys - 5/10
Convoluted mess.

Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones - 4/10
Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith - 4/10

These are just so bad. I am so happy to be done with the craptacular new Star Wars. Old ones up next over the next few months.

Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation - 8/10
Fun stuff.

Red Army - 8/10
Great hockey docu from the Russian side of things!

Mistress America - 8/10
Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig deliver more greatness (and so much hilarity). And Lola Kirke was awesome.

Amy - 9/10
I didn't ever follow Winehouse at all, but wow, she had some awful scum in her life that didn't help her out the way they should have.

Southpaw - 7/10
Gyllenhaal is beast. What an actor, seriously. So much range.

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
Appointment in Tokyo (1845 US Army Movie) on CSPAN 3 - it will show again later today. If you can stand youTube try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEvOpaXazaM 8/10 because it uses the derogatory terms of the times and it champions MacArthur while downplaying the roll of the Marines but it is a Army film, not a Navy film.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Time to rate the Riddick trilogy
Pitch Black - 9/10
Amazing movie. Really fun and thrilling.
The Chronicles of Riddick - 6/10
Decent movie but nowhere near as good as Pitch Black.
Riddick - 8/10
Really fun movie much better than Chronicles but just short of Pitch Black.
I want a 4th Riddick movie. Riddick character is so awesome there should be a new Riddick movie every two years.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Time to rate the Riddick trilogy
Pitch Black - 9/10
Amazing movie. Really fun and thrilling.
The Chronicles of Riddick - 6/10
Decent movie but nowhere near as good as Pitch Black.
Riddick - 8/10
Really fun movie much better than Chronicles but just short of Pitch Black.
I want a 4th Riddick movie. Riddick character is so awesome there should be a new Riddick movie every two years.

Supposedly there is/was a plan to make a few more. The next one was supposed to be a continuation of Chronicles (granted they are all continuations), but I think Riddick flopped hard..so not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.