NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 398 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
wait.. there's an alt ending for I am legend?

is it just the ending, or did they re-do a lot of scenes like they did in xmen: rogue cut?

Yes, but I don't think there is a version of the movie that uses it. I saw it on the BD.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
Watched Crazy Joe (1974). It was okay at the beginning, but got worse and worse as this movie dragged on. Generally I'm a Peter Boyle fan, but his performance disappointed as well. 4 of 10 and I'm being generous.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Finally finished Interstellar. I give it 6/10. Ending was weak and story was pretty meh. Scientifically I rank it higher, but entertainingly 6/10.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Mad Max Fury Road - 7/10 Not bad at all. Not sure attaching MAd Max to it made much diff to the movie, though I am sure it helped in marketing.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Mad Max Fury Road - 7/10 Not bad at all. Not sure attaching MAd Max to it made much diff to the movie, though I am sure it helped in marketing.

i made that the point of my IMDB review and everybody downvoted it. i even suggested calling it Furiosa's Road.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

What's interesting about this movie is that it's incredibly polarizing. People either seem to hate it or love it. I recommended it to some coworkers, and one literally told me, "I will never trust your movie advice again." D:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
What's interesting about this movie is that it's incredibly polarizing. People either seem to hate it or love it. I recommended it to some coworkers, and one literally told me, "I will never trust your movie advice again." D:

Which means they hadn't seen the previous two American released Mad Max movies. It was literally an updated Mad Max movie, and that is why it was great.

Kung Fu Hustle : 9/10 - Still one of my favorite kung fu movies. The last fight is absolutely perfect. Stephen Chow needs to make more movies.

Sep 29, 2004
Finally finished Interstellar. I give it 6/10. Ending was weak and story was pretty meh. Scientifically I rank it higher, but entertainingly 6/10.

I'm in the same boat. It wasn't that good. A friend read the book (based on the movie) but never saw the movie and he said the book was really good.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Which means they hadn't seen the previous two American released Mad Max movies. It was literally an updated Mad Max movie, and that is why it was great.

I never saw the first movies. But I am 39 so I remember the era of great action movies that were the 80s and early 90s. I simply found Mad Maxx to be an amazing action movie. And I had a great appreciation for the fact that someone made an 80s era style action movie and nailed it. Take away the action though and it was a pretty dumb movie.

NOTE: When the blu ray comes out, we are having a small party at my house to watch it. Just finished my dual 18" subs ;-)

I have two of these now:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...challenge-design-24-hours-3.html#post36502738

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
yeah, take away all that dialogue in casablanca and it becomes a stupid as fuck movie too.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Avengers: Age of Ultron

ok, good film. it had a couple things that don't make sense, but lots of good stuff.

i loved the scene with Vision; and i think the setup was really well done.

the hulk-buster fight. and RDJ's scenes in general.

two things i want to talk abut', but they need to go in spoilers.

did anyone else get the impression that Ultron was the good guy?

and

there's such a thing as physics. if you lift a big chunk of slovakia up in the air, it will still fall at 195kph. it will *not* create an extinction even. you are thinking a meteor, travelling at half a million miles an hour. not the same thing. E=mc2.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I never saw the first movies. But I am 39 so I remember the era of great action movies that were the 80s and early 90s. I simply found Mad Maxx to be an amazing action movie. And I had a great appreciation for the fact that someone made an 80s era style action movie and nailed it. Take away the action though and it was a pretty dumb movie.

NOTE: When the blu ray comes out, we are having a small party at my house to watch it. Just finished my dual 18" subs ;-)

I have two of these now:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...challenge-design-24-hours-3.html#post36502738

Yeah, when that one comes out will rate high for Blu Ray.

I'm still old school and use these 16" for dual Sub Woofers on a separate old receiver off the main. I've always had a patchwork system over the years.

They have held up amazing well since around 1982, they still sound great even just using them for subs.

The tweeters aren't really that active of course using them that way, but the mid range does.

The cones are even still pristine over the years, and the woofers almost look like they will jump out of the cabinet still if they are cranked :p

Basically a second stereo system running off the dual Sub outs on the main 7.2

Kenwood_KL-777Z_Web.jpg

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Avengers: Age of Ultron

ok, good film. it had a couple things that don't make sense, but lots of good stuff.

i loved the scene with Vision; and i think the setup was really well done.

the hulk-buster fight. and RDJ's scenes in general.

two things i want to talk abut', but they need to go in spoilers.

did anyone else get the impression that Ultron was the good guy?

and

there's such a thing as physics. if you lift a big chunk of slovakia up in the air, it will still fall at 195kph. it will *not* create an extinction even. you are thinking a meteor, travelling at half a million miles an hour. not the same thing. E=mc2.

1. He thought he was...whether he was really or not is up to the viewer, but in most "AI" scenarios, the machines think humans are the bad guys"

2. He had put a bunch of rockets on the top side to propel it to the ground. If you watch the scene where it's coming down again, you see them start up. The thing that didn't really make sense about that though was it never really got far enough up to do any REAL damage, but they stopped it before it got as high as it was supposed to go.

As for me...I thought it was OK. I didn't think it was as good as the first, and I actually wished there was less fist fighting with Ultron and more mind games. I liked Spader's portrayal of him and did not expect it to be so....'human'. Not being into the comics much I didn't really know about The Vision and had to read up on that character afterwards. He seemed to be a bit OP for that universe they've set up in the movies.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i did not see them.

i'm old. somebody gotta tell hollywood that it's not ok to always go George Lucas style.
too much CGI happening on screen just confuses me.

anyway, there's another point i want to talk of but again, it needs to go in spoilers

it looked to me as if the whole thing is the psychic girl's fault;
she does that weird "colored smoke" thing to tony stark, he hallucinates, and then grabs loki's scepter + proceeds to be an idiot to push for Ultron and thus create this huge mess.

to me this was directly caused by the girl ... scarlet witch. i immediately thought, "loki's staff, not something normal people should handle, surely it causes the same mischief as loki does".

but this is never really explored in the film; i thought it gave the plot a certain finesses, so i was not happy they practically ignored it.

potato

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
i did not see them.

i'm old. somebody gotta tell hollywood that it's not ok to always go George Lucas style.
too much CGI happening on screen just confuses me.

anyway, there's another point i want to talk of but again, it needs to go in spoilers

it looked to me as if the whole thing is the psychic girl's fault;
she does that weird "colored smoke" thing to tony stark, he hallucinates, and then grabs loki's scepter + proceeds to be an idiot to push for Ultron and thus create this huge mess.

to me this was directly caused by the girl ... scarlet witch. i immediately thought, "loki's staff, not something normal people should handle, surely it causes the same mischief as loki does".

but this is never really explored in the film; i thought it gave the plot a certain finesses, so i was not happy they practically ignored it.

potato

Completely agree. I thought it was pretty stupid just in general to take an AI being made by the bad guys and just say, hey we'll use this! Especially since it was born of the scepter.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Mad Max Fury Road

Cars 7/10
Car Crashes 7/10
Stunts 8/10
Guitar Player 11/10
Acting 5/10
Story .000001/10

Overall 2/10

Sep 29, 2004
Wow, that is a pretty good break down of mad max. I agree mostly. I'd be more like:

Cars 9/10
Car Crashes 8/10
Stunts 10/10
Guitar Player 11/10
Acting 3/10
Story N/A

Overall 7/10

It's a good action movie. You need to see it on a good home entertainment center. If you can't, you should have seen it in theaters. Many will rent it and dislike it because they watched it using the TV speakers or a sound bar.

Sep 29, 2004
Dig dog, your complaint is common. To much occurring on screen can cause the viewer to not know what to focus in on in a scene. Mad Max if I recall correctly does this a few times.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Has anyone seen "No Escape?" I think it looks decent and was thinking of seeing it one of these days.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Wow, that is a pretty good break down of mad max. I agree mostly. I'd be more like:

Cars 9/10
Car Crashes 8/10
Stunts 10/10
Guitar Player 11/10
Acting 3/10
Story N/A

Overall 7/10

It's a good action movie. You need to see it on a good home entertainment center. If you can't, you should have seen it in theaters. Many will rent it and dislike it because they watched it using the TV speakers or a sound bar.

Working as intended. :)

Yep, out on Blu Ray in a few days.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392190/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Straight Outta Compton: 8/10 - It is a bit romanticized, but it has it's moments. It probably helps I am a fairly big old school hip hop fan, so seeing the story play out was pretty nice. I would say, if you're not a fan of hip hop and it changed the culture during that time period, you can skip it.

Only one person has seen Straight Outta Compton? I want to see it. I'm interested in the story but also hope that it stands on it's own.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005

Cars 9/10
Car Crashes 8/10
Stunts 10/10
Guitar Player 11/10
Acting 3/10
Story N/A

Overall 7/10

I saw it in IMAX digital a few days into its run, just didn't post it then. I wasn't expecting anything as good as Road Warrior, but with the number of intensely amazing books out there, I just can't understand how these 100M plus dollar movies have such terrible scripts. It's also not like Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron can't act, so WTF?!?!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I saw it in IMAX digital a few days into its run, just didn't post it then. I wasn't expecting anything as good as Road Warrior, but with the number of intensely amazing books out there, I just can't understand how these 100M plus dollar movies have such terrible scripts. It's also not like Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron can't act, so WTF?!?!

Seems it was intended to be a bit of a break the mold and go old school without a lot of CGI to begin with.

Mission Accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.