NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 190 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I thought I read that it was converted from 2D and not shot in 3D. I've been trying to avoid reading or watching anything on the film, so I did not read the whole thing, but I could have sworn I saw that.

KT

Bristowe related that roughly 70 percent of the 3D in the film was created in the computer by VFX house Framestore, as a large portion of these shots are CG.
The portions that were lensed in the capsule were lensed in 2D and converted to 3D at Prime Focus.

I know you're trying to keep it spoiler free so I won't c/p the rest of it ;)

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
Jack Reacher - 8/10 I had my doubts about this movie after reading several terrible reviews, but man was I impressed! It was just a fantastic action flick. I would rate it higher, but I know it is by no means a masterpiece, but for enjoyments sake, I had a blast. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to watch pure action and a little humor thrown in. Just turn your brain off and enjoy the show. Plus you can't go wrong with actors like Duvall, Herzog, and Cruise. They each played their parts well!

Room 237 - 1/10 This is a "documentary" about people's insight and theories regarding Kubrik's movie "The Shining". I love the original movie and was really looking forward to some reflection on the movie...but that is not at all what this film is about. To me, it seemed to be a mockumentary, and the people to be mocked are the few conspiracy theorists that they chose to interview. These people have seen "The Shining" 50-100 times, frame by frame, and search out these wild (fucking crazy) ideas about what Kubrick was trying to do with the film. The way they analyze the film and the theories they come up with are absolutely preposterous. To the point where I was irritated so bad I had to turn it off just past half way through. It would be a good film if you take it as a comedy, to enjoy the insanity of these (strangely not seen or identified) people, but other than that...don't waste your time.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Paul 6/10 It is sort of a let down from Pegg and Frost. Maybe I am just too used to a different Frost.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
pacific rim was terrible - even watching in a proper home theater and all. 2 or 3/10

the purge was interesting, but the end was meh - 5 or 6/10

the heat was entertaining - 6/10

warm bodies - 7/10

donnie darko was effing awesome - made me want to read all about it after i finished watching - 9/10

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I started Pacific Rim last night and finished it today. Actually took me 3 sitting to get through. It was a lot more cheesy than I was expecting. I generally try to read as little as possible about movies before going in, and I definitely avoid all trailers. I had heard good things about this movie (in this thread I think), so I gave it a shot. Wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but the acting was blah, and there were plot holes, etc. I guess 5.5/10. Felt sorta like a Transformers knock off.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
now you see me - 8/10 - i liked it but i didn't realize that the magic in it would be 100% fake for some stuff. i thought it would be a little more "real" than it was. but it was a fun enjoyable movie that totally caught me off guard at the end too.

epic - 8/10 - decent animated movie but to me it was fairly forgettable. the animation was awesome as usual and i don't know why but colin farrel did not fit the character very well to me.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Pacific Rim [4/10]... this crap is unwatchably bad. Based on the 'not-bad' rating from you guys and the critics, I was expecting a solid light-weight popcorn flick.

What is this ignorant piece of garbage film? It's very campy and I'm also sick of seeing Asian women portrayed as typical submissive secondary character that just wanna fvck the white guy. I mean, this isn't even the 90's, this movie is so backward.

I burst laughing when I saw Charlie from It's Always Sunny. You got your submissive Asian chick, white jockey protagonist, nerdy scientist in a lab hole, and cringe-inducing one liners.

Unwatchably bad. I'm all for mindless summer popcorn flicks, but that doesn't excuse the movie to be super cheesy, ridden with stereotypes, and shallow as hell.

Iron Man 1 is a perfect example of a great summer flick- action, character development, fun, yet not stupid.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
You know 60% is a pass right? How can that be unwatchably bad? :D

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
So...how'd you like gravity?

I really liked it. I'd probably give it a 8.5/10. It was stunning to look at and the sound design was amazing too. I want to see it again in 2D if I can as I would rather see it without the goggles on and the greater clarity and brightness you typically get over 3D.

You see it?

KT

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I really liked it. I'd probably give it a 8.5/10. It was stunning to look at and the sound design was amazing too. I want to see it again in 2D if I can as I would rather see it without the goggles on and the greater clarity and brightness you typically get over 3D.

You see it?

KT

yup, 10/10 technical mastery, 8/10 overall story. 8.5/10 overall is fair.

I loved the 3D, no interest in seeing the 2D. Conversely, The Hobbit/Desolation of Smaug 3D trailer looked fucking awful and I would only watch that movie in 2D.

$40 for 2 to see a 3D IMAX on a Saturday afternoon O_O

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Gravity: 8.5/10. Spectacular suspense, just completely immersive and awe inspiring visuals. Acting was a bit lacking though, Bullock lacked the ability to make her backstory believable.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005

You see it?

KT

you forget to do something? :colbert:

edit: nvm, not gonna read any reviews until I see it anyway :p

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
yup, 10/10 technical mastery, 8/10 overall story. 8.5/10 overall is fair.

I loved the 3D, no interest in seeing the 2D. Conversely, The Hobbit/Desolation of Smaug 3D trailer looked fucking awful and I would only watch that movie in 2D.

$40 for 2 to see a 3D IMAX on a Saturday afternoon O_O

Yeah the cost is ridiculous! I was only in a normal theatre with normal 3D but it was $31.

I thought the Hobbit trailer looked way too dark. It looked ok in parts, but terrible in others.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
you forget to do something? :colbert:

edit: nvm, not gonna read any reviews until I see it anyway :p

Heh, yeah. I plan on doing it later. I was not really around this weekend so did not get a chance to do it earlier.

KT

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
The Worlds End. 4.5/10.

Was not funny at all. The story is sooo LAME lol!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORing!

If you liked hot fuss then I guess go ahead and watch it.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I can't believe all the hate Pacific Rim is getting. Was it great? Not by a long shot. But it was definitely more than a 2-3/10 based on the audio & visuals alone (I think it will be a great home theater demo blu-ray once released, the LFE was really good).

It's giant robots fighting giant aliens, I don't understand why anyone would go into that movie expecting a solid plot. I went in with the mentality of "I really want this to be good, but it's probably going to be terrible," and I'd give it at least a 6-7/10. I thought it was entertaining enough.

I gotta say, I cracked up when
the robot punched through the building, and was *just* far enough to start the kinetic ball thing. Absolutely ridiculous, but I found it humorous.

The Worlds End. 4.5/10.

Was not funny at all. The story is sooo LAME lol!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORing!

If you liked hot fuss then I guess go ahead and watch it.

I liked Hot Fuzz a lot, and The World's End was ok. My experience was that it went from boring to awesome to kinda weird, and then got really weird at the end. I want to rewatch it before I make final judgement, because I'm hoping/expecting, like Hot Fuzz, that it gets better with repeated viewings.

Last edited:

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
I'm a big Idris Elba and Charlie Hunnam fan but Pacific Rim was still a stinker of a movie. 4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.