NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 181 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
X-Men first Class: 9/10
Star Trek: Into Dorkness: 9.5/10
The Avengers: 8/10
The Dark Knight Rises: 9/10

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Olympus Has Fallen 4/10
Is this the first movie where Morgan Freeman plays a complete pussy? I can get over the basic premise of the movie and enjoy it as a stupid action flick but it is a lot harder for me to get over everybody in our Government including the Pres being a complete pussy. The only person that had some balls at all was the female Secretary of Defense and even she lost hers. Anyway if you can get past those problems and the CGI blood splatter then lots of stuff blows up in cool ways and there is plenty of gun fire to keep you entertained.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Mud (2012) 8.5/10: A pretty damn good movie. It's a refreshing take on coming-of-age genre. It's gritty, mired by mystery, and keeps you suspenseful til the end. Man the kids acted so well.

Mud 8/10 was very good, I watched it 2 days ago. And I agree with your post.

On the Road 7/10 was also better than I expected, even though the lady at Blockbuster tried to get me to rent something else because everyone hated it and the lead actor can't decide if he likes boys or girls. :confused: Based on the Jack Kerouac book, it's a period piece with plenty of old cars and beatniks who enjoy plenty of humping and partying.

Oblivion 8/10 I was rather surprised and impressed by this movie. The making of features are very interesting because a lot of what you think is CGI is actually projected on giant screens behind the actors, such as the many scenes around the houses. And they used a lot of giant set pieces where they could have used CGI instead, too.

Last edited:

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Savages - 8.5/10

I went into this preparing to being annoyed, especially by Blake Lively and Taylor Kitsch. To my utter surprise I was not only un-annoyed but actually captivated by their performances. This has to be the best work that they've ever done.

The other characters are great as well: Salma Hayak as a vicious drug lord who's only weakness is for her daughter, John Travolta as a slimy DEA agent with a dying wife (I'll be damned if he's not starting to resemble Mel Brooks), some dude I've never seen before as the third member of the menage-a-trois, and especially Benicio Del Toro as a sub-human cartel hit man; he is the true savage in this tale.

imo the "ending" is worthy of some pretty juicy debate. I'm inclined to believe that the test audiences had a hand in determining the final cut. But make no mistake - this is an enjoyable flick. Oliver Stone has absorbed some influences from Tarantino, and if this film is any indication it might be a good thing

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I saw Oblivion today. Lately I've been giving movies more of a thumbs up or thumbs down rating based on whether they keep my attention for the entire duration. I made it through this one, so that's something that doesn't always happen. Perhaps it was because I started watching it in the middle of the afternoon, instead of like at 1 or 2AM like I sometimes do. Anyway, I enjoyed it for the most part. I thought Cruise acted well in it, and the acting overall was pretty good. Sure, there are some unrealistic things about it, or plot holes that just don't make sense, but if you're able to not focus too much on those, it's an enjoyable flick. Like others have said, the visuals are pretty impressive. 7.5/10

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I forgot to review Everybody Loves Raymond.

3/10

Only mildly entertaining the first few seasons. Characters got very unpleasant and it stopped being funny or original around season 3. For some sick reason I stuck it out to the end. Mostly to see if there were any lulz to be had.
Not many.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I forgot to review Everybody Loves Raymond.

3/10

Only mildly entertaining the first few seasons. Characters got very unpleasant and it stopped being funny or original around season 3. For some sick reason I stuck it out to the end. Mostly to see if there were any lulz to be had.
Not many.

Yes, the characters were SO unpleasant. I could not stomach it at all. I know all sitcoms fall into the same traps eventually, but if you do that and turn the characters into annoying, awful human beings, it can make a show very difficult to watch.

KT

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Downloaded (2013):

7/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2033981/

Basically the story of Napster from start to finish. I guess it was mildly interesting, but I was around in the middle of it all and was pretty much aware of most of what happened and how it happened. I think the story and it's significance would be lost on most of today's younger online population as they are too ingrained in exactly what Napster brought to the internet and how it is used.

Like most "documentaries" nowadays, there seemed to be an angle to it throughout the whole thing (pro Napster), but it's fairly mild and easy to look past.

assimilation

Aug 20, 2013
Dexter 1-4 season 10/10 ,but later season average like 5-6/10,i am still waiting for 8 season to finish

Dexter is definitely my favorite tv show,you can say whatever you want but i simply love it,even later seasons (5,6,7) i know this seasons are kinda lower quality than 1,2,3,4
but i got hooked up to dexter and i cant stop watching it :D

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i watched both 42 and The Big Wedding this past weekend and they were both very good movies and worth a watch. The Big Wedding was really funny in parts. it was just an overall really fun movie.

Nov 7, 2000
Django Unchained - 8.6/10 - Tarantino really is a master of the 'tense situation'. I thought Jamie Foxx did well, Leo did OK, but that Christoph Waltz was amazing. Was a little long for my wife but I stayed captivated.

The Host - 5/10 - So, at first I thought it was a US remake of the korean movie of same name. That excited me. Then I realized it was not, which was still OK. It was still sci-fi, fairly interesting premise. Before too long though I realized it was just a soul-less tween romance. Terrible dialog and pretty pathetic acting. I would have rated it even lower but I DID like the concept of a parasitic alien and I thought their survivors lair was pretty cool. Once I saw Stephenie Meyer in the credits everything made sense...

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The Heat -- 7/10

A lot funnier than I was expecting. Loved pretty much every scene with the albino guy in it. Never felt poorly paced, and I didn't get bored with it. Worth a watch.

EDIT: Side note -- Finally got around to starting season 4 of The League last night, and as a Minnesotan, I thoroughly enjoyed the dialogue about how Adrian Peterson was a wasted pick at anything higher than the 3rd round. I only hope it comes back to that later in the season, or sometime in the coming season, because uh...yeah.

Last edited:

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 10/10

The incredible story of the game show host Chuck Barris, who chaperoned his 'Dating Game' TV gameshow winners to exotic locations in the world like West Berlin, in order to assassinate CIA targets and have a cover story as to why he was there.

Now off to the internet to see if any of this is actually true. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. On Netflix now.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
The Great Gatsby - 4/10.

More like the great crapsby.
Seriously, what a waste of time.

A movie about the lavish lives of excess of some rich people, along with a stupid love triangle, told by Spiderman, the author.

All the nice "cinematography" looked like horrible CG or like some crap filter has been applied to it, so everything looked odd, and not realistic.
Ridiculously gaudy everything.
Rap music over the 1920s scenes, a great fit, yup.

I had zero interest in any of the characters, and they were all very dis-likeable IMHO.

I think i'm actually rating it too high, as frankly, a terrible action flick would have been time better spent.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The Great Gatsby - 4/10.

More like the great crapsby.
Seriously, what a waste of time.

A movie about the lavish lives of excess of some rich people, along with a stupid love triangle, told by Spiderman, the author.

All the nice "cinematography" looked like horrible CG or like some crap filter has been applied to it, so everything looked odd, and not realistic.
Ridiculously gaudy everything.
Rap music over the 1920s scenes, a great fit, yup.

I had zero interest in any of the characters, and they were all very dis-likeable IMHO.

I think i'm actually rating it too high, as frankly, a terrible action flick would have been time better spent.
Uhh, the bolded part is the same story as the classic book that everyone should have read in high school, so what were you expecting?

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Uhh, the bolded part is the same story as the classic book that everyone should have read in high school, so what were you expecting?

Didn't read the book, so i had no idea what the movie was about.
If the book is anything like movie, it doesn't sound very classic to me?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Didn't read the book, so i had no idea what the movie was about.
If the book is anything like movie, it doesn't sound very classic to me?

o_O

It's probably first in the list if you search Google for "American Classic Literature" and click "I'm Feeling Lucky."

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
i watched both 42 and The Big Wedding this past weekend and they were both very good movies and worth a watch. The Big Wedding was really funny in parts. it was just an overall really fun movie.

Hey me too! I really liked 42. The main actor playing Jackie I thought did an excellent job, and I thought the wife did a decent job too (she was very attractive too!). Harrison Ford was great and pretty funny. 9/10

The Big Wedding had a good amount of celebs in it but I found it slow at times. There were some funny parts but overall I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would with the A list celebs that were in it. 6/10

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
o_O

It's probably first in the list if you search Google for "American Classic Literature" and click "I'm Feeling Lucky."

The book is great, but more for the prose, not really the story which is why movie versions do not really work that well...

KT

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The book is great, but more for the prose, not really the story which is why movie versions do not really work that well...

KT

Yep. For my part I absolutely loved the new film, but that's mostly because I've read the book a half dozen times, and probably projected a lot of my love and understanding of the story into the experience.

My lady loved it to though, and she's never read the book at all, so there's that.

If someone isn't interested in a story about romance, hope, complexities with issues of class, wealth, and corruption, well .. they should watch Transformers once more ;)

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Pacific Rim 8/10

Giant monsters vs Giant Robots yeah it's silly, but the Director gets the action right or at least it feels better than the giant robot action in other movies.

It's very open about its anime / Gojira movie influences.

If you can't have fun here you need pull that giant stick out of your 4th point of contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.