NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 172 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Only God Forgives - 8/10
Another I have access to NYC movies brag post.

I missed a Tuesday screening that had a Q&A with Refn and GOSLING. Fortunately I got tickets to another screening last night at Lincoln Center that had a Refn Q&A. About 10 minutes before the movie, they added two more chairs to the stage, in addition to the two that were already there....Oh shit son. Was I about to be mere feet away from the coolest man on the planet?

http://instagram.com/p/b53dLIk5_H/

No. But it was still fun and Refn is a madman and a seemingly cool dude

As far as the movie goes, if you didn't like Drive and you don't like any of other Refn's movies, don't see this one. And even if you liked Drive doesn't mean you'll like this; make sure you like another one of his movies before you have high expectations.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Antichrist - 4/10 I am not sure why i finally watched this messed up movie or why Williem DaFoe and the female lead decided this was a good movie to make but it messed up. Don't ask me to explain it, that is a seemingly impossible task. But a podcast played the voice of the fox saying chaos reigns and I used that as the catalyst to finally watch this movie. The beginning is beautifully shot but shows Willem DaFoe's penis thrusting during sex. That is not the last time we see it either.

I think the real reason i watched it is because under my cheap plan i lose my 2 hours of Netflix streaming on 8/3 and i wanted to see this movie yet did not want to pay for it.

This movie is not rated since it would have been slapped with NC-17, you were warned.

I still haven't seen this film but it is a horror film it is suppose to be very horrific.

Heard good and bad things about Antichrist.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Only God Forgives - 8/10

I missed a Tuesday screening that had a Q&A with Refn and GOSLING. Fortunately I got tickets to another screening last night at Lincoln Center that had a Refn Q&A. About 10 minutes before the movie, they added two more chairs to the stage, in addition to the two that were already there....Oh shit son. Was I about to be mere feet away from the coolest man on the planet?

As far as the movie goes, if you didn't like Drive and you don't like any of other Refn's movies, don't see this one. And even if you liked Drive doesn't mean you'll like this; make sure you like another one of his movies before you have high expectations.

Nice. Lucky bastard. Too bad you missed out on the Gos. Very happy to hear you liked it though.

I still haven't seen this film but it is a horror film it is suppose to be very horrific.

Yeah, this is pretty much right. It's essentially a horror film, but like an art house horror film. Crazy, but kind of crazy awesome too.

KT

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Only God Forgives - 8/10

Great to hear.

But your sentiment kinda spoils the movie. It sounds like Drive 2.0 with more 2 hours of wooden-plank expression on Gosling because that's what 'mysterious' and 'complicated character' are. And follow it up with an ambiguous ending, sprinkled by a great artsy sound track.

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Great to hear.

But your sentiment kinda spoils the movie. It sounds like Drive 2.0 with more 2 hours of wooden-plank expression on Gosling because that's what 'mysterious' and 'complicated character' are. And follow it up with an ambiguous ending, sprinkled by a great artsy sound track.

didn't you dislike Drive anyway?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
didn't you dislike Drive anyway?

I didn't dislike it. I just didn't understand the 'omg' hype that swept across this forum when it came out. I enjoyed it.

But by the time I watched another Gosling movie.. what was it, pine hills something? (which was good) Then Gosling & Drive left a bad taste- because all he does is that blank look on his face.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
The call - 5/10, not bad, not good, if you can't find anything else to watch, then get this one then. Was this a straight to rental movie or a movie from a Network? It was shot in 19x6 format, picture look overexposed like a low budget film.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
i fucking love NGE (11/10 forever) so I guess PacRim is my next movie.

Hope you like it. Was listening to a review this morning and the guest was a comic artist and referenced the Evangelion stuff too. He liked the movie a lot, so you may as well.

After listening to a couple of reviews I think I am going to try and see it this week. I was interested before, but now I am actually kind of excited for it. Apparently it looks amazing, if nothing else.

KT

Earlier today, I overhead some people at lunch talking about Pacific Rim, and they also compared it to Shin Seiki Evangelion. Honestly, I've seen both, and I don't get it. Frankly, other than humans in robots versus big, alien creatures, THEY ARE NOT SIMILAR. Evangelion is much, much more about the drama between characters, and the action serves to setup plot points or to act as a resolution to what drama occurred prior. Pacific Rim is very light on the drama and character development as you're meant to fixate on the hard-hitting action.

Although, I'm not really a big fan of Evangelion. It's such an overrated anime along with Akira. That does remind me that I need to finish the recent movie re-releases though. I got bored after about 20 minutes of 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone, and I turned it off. Of course, it doesn't help that I know what's going to happen, and by being a movie, it lacks the awesome opening theme from the series. Eventually, I just paused the movie and turned the theme on, because by that point, I really wanted to hear it. :p

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Only God Forgives - 8/10

Niiiiice.

I was sold the moment i saw the trailer.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
i fucking love NGE (11/10 forever) so I guess PacRim is my next movie.

While I'm at it...

rei-alone.png

Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series (1995-1996) [10/10]:
Like any masterpiece of its time, this anime changed the genre. Unlike the stiff robots of the 80's, Evas are agile, controlled creatures that truly know how to invoke emotions and mystery. And anyone who watched few episodes of it realize that mech is just a plot device for character study of various people struggling with inner demons. That's what I loved about it the most. It's not about robots and battles.

I love any good movies that know how to establish and paint their world- especially post apocalypse. This is why I love a well-done zombie movie that accurately portray how society reacts, people panic, government tries to contain, etc. Evangelion does a perfect job of this: Second Impact, Neo-Tokyo, research of the Adam, SEELE, politics between Japan and other countries, repairing cities, betrayal, sabotage, and espionage. Evangelion does a perfect job of making us realize that at the end of the day, the biggest enemies of mankind are..... ourselves, not zombies or angels.

And let's not take lose focus on the action here. Because the audience gets very invested in the characters, the battles are more fearsome than ever. Each angels make you grip onto your seats and they continue to murder every bit on their sanity battle after battle. The battle of Asuka at the Geofront is one of the most intense scene in any TV show history. And that singular episode where Shinji & Rei defeat a glass fortress is an amazing feat that showcases project logistics, planning, execution, and heart.

The anime is not without flaws. Some parts are overtly contrived and gets cast as cheesy and superfluous. But what this epic saga accomplishes as a whole is unmatched in any anime or TV show history. The last 2-4 episode became too abstract. It showed the director's struggle with depression at the time and it entirely discarded the whole storyline of Evangelion. That was very unfortunate until....

The_End_of_Evangelion_by_akira_kawaii_kire.jpg

End of Evangelion (1997) [10/10]:
This is the re-done 'movie' that actually brings closure to the storyline. This movie is only made better by the amazing soundtrack of Beethoven & J.S. Bach. Asuka's final battle with the Air on the G string playing is sheer perfection- Se7en got nothing on this.

Here is the epic fighting clip with Bach. Talk about intensity. Show me a show that could make you just as uncomfortable and rooting for the character.

Annnnd this part. Jesus christ. The pilot is synchronized with the creature robot. Therefore she can feel every pain that the creature receives.

The world-eating finale fully satisfied everything that's been building up in the past 25 episodes. It's like reading a good book that talks about an inevitable rapture. And it finally happens. After Evangelion, I really couldn't enjoy other anime. They're either juvenile or trying too hard in the wake of Evangelion that just ends up artificial (garbage like Ergo Proxy). Only Eva & Cowboy Bebop does it for me.

The Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 (2007) [7.5/10]: So about a decade later, the studio decided to reimagine the entire series into 4 movies. This is a major treat for Eva fans. The movie is a remake of sort- slightly different angle on a same story while adding new elements. It is a gorgeous eye-candy in full HD glory. However the story and the intensity falls flat compared to the TV original. It was enjoyable enough.

The Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 (2009) [7/10]: Falls flat again.

The Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 (2012): [FAIL or 3/10]: This Kotaku review sums it up perfectly. What an embarrassment filled with elementary mistakes and plot holes. This is the botched modern Star Wars of the anime world.

Last edited:

xeledon20005

Feb 5, 2013
Earlier today, I overhead some people at lunch talking about Pacific Rim, and they also compared it to Shin Seiki Evangelion. Honestly, I've seen both, and I don't get it. Frankly, other than humans in robots versus big, alien creatures, THEY ARE NOT SIMILAR. Evangelion is much, much more about the drama between characters, and the action serves to setup plot points or to act as a resolution to what drama occurred prior. Pacific Rim is very light on the drama and character development as you're meant to fixate on the hard-hitting action.

Although, I'm not really a big fan of Evangelion. It's such an overrated anime along with Akira. That does remind me that I need to finish the recent movie re-releases though. I got bored after about 20 minutes of 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone, and I turned it off. Of course, it doesn't help that I know what's going to happen, and by being a movie, it lacks the awesome opening theme from the series. Eventually, I just paused the movie and turned the theme on, because by that point, I really wanted to hear it. :p

I'll agree with this but, it still a great anime because of the sound track along when this anime came out. It paved the road for better animes. It is just alittle bit stupid how they keep releasing new movies for evangelion honestly I think I have all the Evangelion movies but have only seen like 2 because the rest are the same. Akira honestly was a good anime it is over hyped but its an anime movie, if it was at first a season long 12 episode run you could have seen the character development and could have turned into being crazy good perhaps eventually even evolving into more types of crazy battles. I've seen tons of anime series/ movies, trying to catch up on a few ongoing. Movie/Anime Lover

xeledon20005

Feb 5, 2013
After Evangelion, I really couldn't enjoy other anime. They're either juvenile or trying too hard in the wake of Evangelion that just ends up artificial (garbage like Ergo Proxy). Only Eva & Cowboy Bebop does it for me.

You should consider watching different types of genre of anime then, Eva was your basic the world is going to end try to save it anime, while cowboy bebop was your crazy bounty hunter with a dark past anime. You could try a more crazy anime like Baccano! Which is basically about (in a nut shell);

Each of the stories in the series involves several unrelated plots intersecting and crossing each other as events spiral farther and farther out of control. Immortal alchemists, mafia operated speakeasies, and many other elements of pulp fiction mashed together for a world straight out of the movies.:biggrin:

This is one of my favorite animes of all time, it's just so crazy and the music really is fantastic.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Identity Theft - 3/10

For a "comedy" movie this sure failed to deliver in the funny department. Melissa McCarthy is flat out annoying in this movie, I was very close to turning this movie off at times due to her over the top idiotic character. Jason Bateman's character is flat. The plot has more holes than swiss cheese and you can smell the ending from a mile away. A few chuckles here and there prevent this movie from being at the bottom of the barrel but you would get more laughs and entertainment reading an old knock knock joke book.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
You should consider watching different types of genre of anime then, Eva was your basic the world is going to end try to save it anime, while cowboy bebop was your crazy bounty hunter with a dark past anime. You could try a more crazy anime like Baccano! Which is basically about (in a nut shell);

Each of the stories in the series involves several unrelated plots intersecting and crossing each other as events spiral farther and farther out of control. Immortal alchemists, mafia operated speakeasies, and many other elements of pulp fiction mashed together for a world straight out of the movies.:biggrin:

This is one of my favorite animes of all time, it's just so crazy and the music really is fantastic.

Please, you can't belittle these two genre busting masterpieces. Whether you like them or not, they defined the anime industry as whole.

I do watch different types. I'm an avid fan of any critically acclaimed theatrical anime films because they usually have quality plots and less juvenile crap (entire Ghibli studio, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Graveyard of the Fireflies, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Akira, etc).

I normally avoid anime TV series. Time to time I ask in this forum if there are any decent anime series that's worth my attention. It seems little to none so far. Oh I loved Samurai Chanploo too, a direct compliment of Cowboy Bebop. Guaraan Lagaan was good because it's unashamedly stupid and entertaining.

Lain was pretentious.
Ergo Proxy was outright masturbatory and awful.
Full Metal Alchemist was entertaining enough as a teen anime.
I felt so old watching Death Note- meant for kids.

The opening of Baccano! does look interesting. I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Earlier today, I overhead some people at lunch talking about Pacific Rim, and they also compared it to Shin Seiki Evangelion. Honestly, I've seen both, and I don't get it. Frankly, other than humans in robots versus big, alien creatures, THEY ARE NOT SIMILAR.
Of course they are... superficially. What else did you expect from Hollywood?

Evangelion is much, much more about the drama between characters, and the action serves to setup plot points or to act as a resolution to what drama occurred prior. Pacific Rim is very light on the drama and character development as you're meant to fixate on the hard-hitting action.
That's always the first thing to go when Hollywood wan't to reduce something to 2 hours. They don't even try in cases like this where they don't have rights to the source material anyway.

While I'm at it...

rei-alone.png

Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series (1995-1996) [10/10]:
Like any masterpiece of its time, this anime changed the genre. Unlike the stiff robots of the 80's, Evas are agile, controlled creatures that truly know how to invoke emotions and mystery. And anyone who watched few episodes of it realize that mech is just a plot device for character study of various people struggling with inner demons. That's what I loved about it the most. It's not about robots and battles.

I love any good movies that know how to establish and paint their world- especially post apocalypse. This is why I love a well-done zombie movie that accurately portray how society reacts, people panic, government tries to contain, etc. Evangelion does a perfect job of this: Second Impact, Neo-Tokyo, research of the Adam, SEELE, politics between Japan and other countries, repairing cities, betrayal, sabotage, and espionage. Evangelion does a perfect job of making us realize that at the end of the day, the biggest enemies of mankind are..... ourselves, not zombies or angels.

And let's not take lose focus on the action here. Because the audience gets very invested in the characters, the battles are more fearsome than ever. Each angels make you grip onto your seats and they continue to murder every bit on their sanity battle after battle. The battle of Asuka at the Geofront is one of the most intense scene in any TV show history. And that singular episode where Shinji & Rei defeat a glass fortress is an amazing feat that showcases project logistics, planning, execution, and heart.

The anime is not without flaws. Some parts are overtly contrived and gets cast as cheesy and superfluous. But what this epic saga accomplishes as a whole is unmatched in any anime or TV show history. The last 2-4 episode became too abstract. It showed the director's struggle with depression at the time and it entirely discarded the whole storyline of Evangelion. That was very unfortunate until....

The_End_of_Evangelion_by_akira_kawaii_kire.jpg

End of Evangelion (1997) [10/10]:
This is the re-done 'movie' that actually brings closure to the storyline. This movie is only made better by the amazing soundtrack of Beethoven & J.S. Bach. Asuka's final battle with the Air on the G string playing is sheer perfection- Se7en got nothing on this.

Here is the epic fighting clip with Bach. Talk about intensity. Show me a show that could make you just as uncomfortable and rooting for the character.

Annnnd this part. Jesus christ. The pilot is synchronized with the creature robot. Therefore she can feel every pain that the creature receives.

The world-eating finale fully satisfied everything that's been building up in the past 25 episodes. It's like reading a good book that talks about an inevitable rapture. And it finally happens. After Evangelion, I really couldn't enjoy other anime. They're either juvenile or trying too hard in the wake of Evangelion that just ends up artificial (garbage like Ergo Proxy). Only Eva & Cowboy Bebop does it for me.

The Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 (2007) [7.5/10]: So about a decade later, the studio decided to reimagine the entire series into 4 movies. This is a major treat for Eva fans. The movie is a remake of sort- slightly different angle on a same story while adding new elements. It is a gorgeous eye-candy in full HD glory. However the story and the intensity falls flat compared to the TV original. It was enjoyable enough.

The Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 (2009) [7/10]: Falls flat again.

The Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 (2012): [FAIL or 3/10]: This Kotaku review sums it up perfectly. What an embarrassment filled with elementary mistakes and plot holes. This is the botched modern Star Wars of the anime world.

Please watch Katsuhiro Otomo's "Memories" and tell me what you think.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I don't know why people are comparing Pacific Rim to Eva.

Eva isn't about mechas. It's a full blown psychopathic saga about mankind. Pacific Rim is just a popcorn blow-them-up summer flick like Transformers.

xeledon20005

Feb 5, 2013
Please, you can't belittle these two genre busting masterpieces. Whether you like them or not, they defined the anime industry as whole.

I do watch different types. I'm an avid fan of any critically acclaimed theatrical anime films because they usually have quality plots and less juvenile crap (entire Ghibli studio, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Graveyard of the Fireflies, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Akira, etc).

I normally avoid anime TV series. Time to time I ask in this forum if there are any decent anime series that's worth my attention. It seems little to none so far. Oh I loved Samurai Chanploo too, a direct compliment of Cowboy Bebop. Guaraan Lagaan was good because it's unashamedly stupid and entertaining.

Lain was pretentious.
Ergo Proxy was outright masturbatory and awful.
Full Metal Alchemist was entertaining enough as a teen anime.
I felt so old watching Death Note- meant for kids.

The opening of Baccano! does look interesting. I'll give it a shot.

I meant no disrespect about NGE or Cowboy Bebop infact Cowboy bebop one of my favorite animes of all time, I've got the entire soundtrack and its just great. If you don't like the first episode of Baccano give it until the 3rd because the first is an intro that jumps around too much and doesn't make the best sense. I've seen all the animes you've listed in exception half way through both Ghost in the shell and Gurren Lagen- just busy with work and other things to actually have time and finish the series even though I have them downloaded. :cool:

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Peter Jackson's King Kong aged terribly. I don't remember the movie to be this boring. The CGI is good, but the action sequences(aside from t-rex vs king Kong) are tiring and it drags so long.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Peter Jackson's King Kong aged terribly. I don't remember the movie to be this boring. The CGI is good, but the action sequences(aside from t-rex vs king Kong) are tiring and it drags so long.

It didn't age at all, it sucked when it came out. It took the poor editing in "Return of the King" to a whole new level, and dragged on forever.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
It didn't age at all, it sucked when it came out. It took the poor editing in "Return of the King" to a whole new level, and dragged on forever.

Wow, it must have been a piss poor year for film in 2004 considering "Return of the King" won the Oscar for Best Film Editing.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Night of The The's

The Heat - 8/10
- Found this to be really funny. On the contrast, I thought Identity Theft was horrible, so while the actress may be annoying at times, she has her moments (mostly which are hilarious). It's not a deep movie by any means, but it kept me laughing.

The Purge - 6/10 - True story about one night a year everyone can kill everyone and get a get out of jail free card. Wait..not a true story, but it should be. Right off the bat there were some story elements in this movie that were a bit off, but overall it was a decent thriller. I also liked the nod in the movie about people abusing certain aspects of life to turn a profit and spouting all the nationalism rhetoric as legit reason.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

It's....not a good movie, but it is a disturbing movie. Honestly..the only thing I do remember about it is having to watch what almost looked full on porn of Willam Defoe and feeling violated and needing to splash my eyes with lye. I really think the writers were like. Let's make a horror movie. "Ok, how about Willam Defoe having sex, full on nude with penis". "That sounds horrific...perrrfect!"

Feb 10, 2000
20 Feet from Stardom - 10/10

WOW! I watch a ton of movies but almost never feel a desire to review them. This one just blew my mind.

This is a documentary about background singers active in the last 50 years or so. Several of the most important ones are interviewed and profiled, and they also include interview segments with Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Sting and Stevie Wonder among others. The whole thing is absolutely packed with electrifying musical moments (some you know, some you don't) and awesome archival footage. The movie is moving and stirring and just amazing overall. By far my favorite film this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.