NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 171 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Wrath of the titans - 0/10

Wow I cannot believe how bad that movie was. Htf does that shit get greenlit?

I spit on your grave (2010) - 7/10

Interesting enough. Just turn off brain a little bit. Reminded of a domestic "girl with the dragon tattoo" with less intricacies.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Get Him to the Greek - 7/10

It's certainly not a sophisticated movie but I was laughing my ass off in parts. If you can imagine a cross between The Hangover and Almost Famous, it's somewhere in that area (though without the sheer cinematic genius that is Almost Famous).

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

It's certainly not a sophisticated movie but I was laughing my ass off in parts. If you can imagine a cross between The Hangover and Almost Famous, it's somewhere in that area (though without the sheer cinematic genius that is Almost Famous).

I fell asleep during this, I thought it was extremely boring.

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010

One of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. Not funny at all.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
World War Z 6/10 - I know I'm late to the party but they don't release movies here at the same time. I'd rate this lower but I tried to be as objective as possible and compared how I felt about this one to something like Man of Steel.

So zombie movies should be scary or funny right? I got the impression that WWZ was trying to be scary but ended up being funny. The whole theater was just laughing at the movie once the opening scene was over. The final scene, with all it's imaginary suspense, was so stupid that I can't imagine you not laughing. Just chomp your teeth a few times. You'll get it.

Honestly if you want to watch the movie just watch the trailer a few times. That's a better movie.

I don't have much to say about the actual movie than has already been said but after reading the book I distinctly got the impression that the director hated the book and wanted to do something completely different. He changed all the geopolitical stuff to not offend Americans. So with that being said was there anything good about the movie? Not really. If Brad Pitt wasn't in the movie it would have probably been a much worse flick though. That's not praising the character development though since that wasn't very good.

Between this movie and Man of Steel I'm pretty disappointed this summer.

If you watched the movie and enjoyed it then good for you but when you compare this movie to the list of Zombie movies that people mentioned up above it becomes clear how bad this one really is.

xeledon20005

Feb 5, 2013
despicable me 2 9/10 - normally sequels suck but in this case it was just as good as the orignal, great job done so entertaining/funny.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My 10/10 movies...

Aliens
Amadeus
Amelie
Black Hawk Down
Blade Runner
Chariots of Fire
Great Escape, The
Gladiator
Inglorious Basterds
Last of the Mohicans, The
Lives of Others, The
Man on Fire
Patton
Right Stuff, The
Saving Private Ryan

I've seen all but maybe 4-5 of these. I bought the Patton DVD, watched it a couple of times but still can't stand it. Someday I'll sell it on ebay.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
So why did they resort to using it AFTER all the hand-to-hand combat...

And it wasn't inferior, it was great.

I loved [sarcasm] how in every fight the first move was always to rush in and get beaten around, and then use the sword or projectile weaponry as a last resort.
Entertaining action, sure. Also, utterly retarded and idiotic and unrealistic.

So, I haven't seen any trailers or heard anything about Pacific Rim outside of this thread. The way everyone's describing it, it sounds exactly like Power Rangers.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
So, I haven't seen any trailers or heard anything about Pacific Rim outside of this thread. The way everyone's describing it, it sounds exactly like Power Rangers.

No. When I referenced Power Rangers I was relating the comic relief (rival mathematician and Kaiju researcher serve the same purpose as Skull and Bulk). That also contributed to it being a little like Michael Bay's Transformers (something stupid to amuse the kids).

It's exactly like Neon Genesis Evangelion right down to the segmented emergency blade (now a sword instead of a knife), the pilot compatibility concerns, and the Biblical references (monsters are called "Angels" in Evangelion and Pacific Rim makes it clear that some people think they are from Heaven in their version). There's a correlation for everything including massive urban construction in response, massive organization formed in response, power concerns, and even an overly-critical daddy figure in charge who lets a child figure pilot the thing.

Admittedly, Power Rangers sounds pretty similar to Neon Genesis Evangelion in the abstract, but they are about as different as Japanese mecha stuff can get while this is about as similar to NGE as it can get.

It's clear to me that as much as they deny it this is just Hollywood's NGE after they got frustrated waiting for the rights (currently caught up in legal Hell). In a way it's better because this had a much bigger budget than the Evangelion movie was going to have.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
It's clear to me that as much as they deny it this is just Hollywood's NGE after they got frustrated waiting for the rights (currently caught up in legal Hell). In a way it's better because this had a much bigger budget than the Evangelion movie was going to have.

srsly? Pac Rim = domestic NGE?

if so, I need to go watch this movie ASAP

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

I was listening to a GDT interview on the weekend and he referenced that stuff and manga and whatnot a lot. He seems to be a huge fan of that stuff and this movie is directly influenced by it.

KT

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I was listening to a GDT interview on the weekend and he referenced that stuff and manga and whatnot a lot. He seems to be a huge fan of that stuff and this movie is directly influenced by it.

KT

i fucking love NGE (11/10 forever) so I guess PacRim is my next movie.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
i fucking love NGE (11/10 forever) so I guess PacRim is my next movie.

Hope you like it. Was listening to a review this morning and the guest was a comic artist and referenced the Evangelion stuff too. He liked the movie a lot, so you may as well.

After listening to a couple of reviews I think I am going to try and see it this week. I was interested before, but now I am actually kind of excited for it. Apparently it looks amazing, if nothing else.

KT

nace186

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2006
Pacific Rim 7/10 - Special effects are amazing, worth watching for that alone. Fights seem to drag on, and feel repetitive imo. Story is sub par. It could've been more like Iron Man, but it just feels flat.

Elementary 6/10 (TV series, season 1) - I tried to like the series, but I couldn't get into it. The problem I think is the characters development, it's slow and uninteresting.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Been on a bit of a binge.

Pacific Rim: 3/10. Great special effects, the action was top notch, but PLEASE, did they even TRY with the script? "Analog" nuclear powered Jaeger? All that punching shit without even bothering with their swords? Acting that could make a child cry, characters were about as interesting and multi-faceted as a plank of wood.... I dno why everyone says "this is what transformers should have been", I think transformers was just about better. This one competes with GI Joe's sinking ice for level of suspension of disbelief abuse.

Drive: 7.5/10. Asbergers the movie... Don't know what Gosling was portraying exactly, but the script didn't really explain his character (or lack thereof) whatsoever. Just seemed like something was absolutely missing from his character. Action was good, cinematography was quite good, soundtrack was awesome, but it just felt like a movie about someone who was never even remotely explained (or, frankly, had any kind of human element to him).

No Country For Old Men: 8/10. Solid acting from all parts. Very, VERY tense and enthralling suspense. I liked the theme of noise (or lack thereof) in the movie. The hunted was loud and brash (more or less - the guy was competent, but he was running and leaving tracks), the hunter was silent and meticulous. Excellent thriller.

Dr Strangelove: 8.5/10. Amazing satirical play on the cold war. Really made me think about how terrible of a time the Cold War was, and how ridiculous of a standoff it really was. Peter Sellers is just absolutely hysterical :awe: absolute comedic genius. General Ripper was the most serious, ridiculous character I have ever seen. An absolute stereotypical macho man... concerned about his sacred bodily fluids. Plane shots were very dated (exterior, the interior was great) and some of the lighting was absolutely phenomenal (war room, Ripper in his office). Lacked enough comedy to be considered a full out comedy, but definitely very good satire.

Taxi Driver: 8.5/10. Reminds me of Drive, except with real character. The awkwardness of De Niro's interactions really left me conflicted - was it bad improv, or acting so down-to-earth that it didn't seem like a movie? "You talkin to me?" just seemed so... silly? honest? non-hollywood? that it was hard to think whether De Niro was acting an awkward man so well or acting so awkward it was bad :p... Stunning film. New York neon lights are absolutely breathtaking. Tells a very interesting story about Bickle's descent into madness. Reminds me of Rorsach.

Next on the list is There Will Be Blood, Raging Bull (rewatching, didn't catch it all the first time), The Departed, and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Despicable Me 2: 9/10

I may have actually liked it more than the 1st. How can you not like more and more minions? My kids were actually worried that there would be too much emphasis on the Minions based on the commercials, but there was a solid balance between Gru and the girls and the Minions. Very funny stuff all around.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

There is no better way to sum it up, but it does suffer as much as an American Akira would.

Edit: Oh yeah. Though the American Akira is still in the works, they kinda did the same thing with Chronicle, a Hollywood-style found-footage version of Akira. It also features a group of kids with a chance encounter that unlocks an incredible power that one of them can't control.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
oh yeah, to add to this thread:

Just started watching Tosh.0 - 9.5/10. The show was built for the internet ADD generation, and I love it.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Mama - 7/10: Falls apart badly in the last act, but up until that point I really liked it as a familial thriller. The kids and Chastain were all great and there some very cool creepy moments. A real shame about that last act though.

KT

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Mama - 7/10: Falls apart badly in the last act, but up until that point I really liked it as a familial thriller. The kids and Chastain were all great and there some very cool creepy moments. A real shame about that last act though.

KT

Yeah i want to see it eventually purely for Jessica Chastain. :wub:

Drive: 7.5/10. Asbergers the movie... Don't know what Gosling was portraying exactly, but the script didn't really explain his character (or lack thereof) whatsoever. Just seemed like something was absolutely missing from his character. Action was good, cinematography was quite good, soundtrack was awesome, but it just felt like a movie about someone who was never even remotely explained (or, frankly, had any kind of human element to him).

That's the character Gosling tends to be in a fair number of his movies.
Mysterious, unexplained, brooding.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Antichrist - 4/10 I am not sure why i finally watched this messed up movie or why Williem DaFoe and the female lead decided this was a good movie to make but it messed up. Don't ask me to explain it, that is a seemingly impossible task. But a podcast played the voice of the fox saying chaos reigns and I used that as the catalyst to finally watch this movie. The beginning is beautifully shot but shows Willem DaFoe's penis thrusting during sex. That is not the last time we see it either.

I think the real reason i watched it is because under my cheap plan i lose my 2 hours of Netflix streaming on 8/3 and i wanted to see this movie yet did not want to pay for it.

This movie is not rated since it would have been slapped with NC-17, you were warned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.