NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 170 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
They knew the monsters were learning from the weapons they were using so it could had been they wanted to keep the sword secret longer but they had to use it when they did.

You saw what happened after they did where they fought later on and used it and ended up getting the arm removed.

I am just surprised the boat lasted so long.

Hm that's possible given the whole
hive mind thing that they find out, but I think what you really saw was those sentient creator beings sending the "big guns" to stop the Jaegars. Sort of like how the weird gorilla-like one had a medium-range EMP blast. Although, speaking of "big guns", that category five kaiju seemed rather weak....
I also thought that the boat would have broken after only a swing or two... especially since that was a Chinese boat. :biggrin:

On another note, the soundtrack definitely has some good songs, and when I looked it up, I found that it was done by Ramin Djawadi. You may know his work from Game of Thrones. I really dig the main theme.

EDIT:

Just wanted to add that Pacific Rim was, by far, the loudest movie I've ever seen in a theater.

Honestly, I didn't think it was loud at all. Your theater may have screwed up the volume though.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Hm that's possible given the whole
hive mind thing that they find out, but I think what you really saw was those sentient creator beings sending the "big guns" to stop the Jaegars. Sort of like how the weird gorilla-like one had a medium-range EMP blast. Although, speaking of "big guns", that category five kaiju seemed rather weak....
I also thought that the boat would have broken after only a swing or two... especially since that was a Chinese boat. :biggrin:

On another note, the soundtrack definitely has some good songs, and when I looked it up, I found that it was done by Ramin Djawadi. You may know his work from Game of Thrones. I really dig the main theme.

EDIT:

Honestly, I didn't think it was loud at all. Your theater may have screwed up the volume though.

They said in the movie they were learning from the battles and how to fight the machines and the people sending them were adding improvements such as what we saw.

Too be fair the cat 5 one did survive a nice explosion. ;)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
For anyone going to see Pacific Rim, you might want to know that there is a scene after the fancy credits, but there's nothing else after the normal credits.

They said in the movie they were
learning from the battles and how to fight the machines and the people sending them were adding improvements such as what we saw

I just don't see a bladed weapon being a huge secret given the Mach V has blades attached to each arm, and Red Typhoon has saw blades on all three arms. :p

Too be fair
the cat 5 one did survive a nice explosion.
;)

That's true, and also quite the spoiler (so I've tagged it). :p

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
My zombie flicks:

28 Days Later 9/10: An amazing modern adaptation of zombie flicks. This movie started the whole trend of fast & dangerous zombies, rather than the slow herding kind. I absolutely loved the truly lonely feel captured in this film when the protagonist woke up all alone in the barren London. No other zombie flim has come close to capture this. When he met a pair of daughter and father, it really felt like an adventure- driving the car and wading through the city. It also perfectly addressed the societal & human issues very well on the latter half when they met the military. IMO, this is best a zombie flick could get.

28 Weeks Later 8.5/10: What a chilling opening sequence. The sequel pack an equal punch as the original. Amazing all around.

I Am Legend 8/10: A solid flick that beautifully portrayed how one person tries to adapt living all alone while keeping sanity- watching re-runs of morning shows, having a routine stop at a record shop, etc. Some of the plot holes were bit shakey, overall a welcome addition to the genre.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse 4/10: What a joke of a film. It's straight up cartoony and incoherent. The entire series is a typical Hollywood money-grab geared towards kids. I saw this when I was much younger because of friends. Never again.

Shaun of the Dead 7.5/10: Despite the huge cult following and its status as the #1 Zombie satire, it's not all that great for me. I don't know. Simon Pegg's tried-and-true man-child routine is not that funny. In the same vein of his humor, I enjoyed Hot Fuzz better.

Zombieland 8.5/10: This is my favorite zombie satire. Woody Harrelson & that Social Network guy were both perfect. I loved the 4th wall zombie tips (like double tap!). It's clever and witty. And it has Bill Murray & Emma Stone who played their roles very well.

Warm Bodies 8/10: Another solid satire. I loved how it also poked fun at Twilight and today's teen romance flicks. The Romeo & Juliet references were clever and well appreciated. A fun flick all around.

From Dusk til Dawn 7.5/10: A semi-satire, semi-serious action flick. That's right, this is George Clooney in a zombie movie, right along with Tarantino playing a full fledged role. They played a hilarious duo. This was Salma Hayek's breakout role in US too. She was HOT.

I guess I should check out the classics that started it all- Night of the Living Dead (1968) and Dawn of the Dead (1978). But I'm afraid they didn't age well and would be a snoozefest.

Last edited:

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Pacific Rim 4/10 - You know when you go into a movie with low expectations but hope to be surprised? I wasn't surprised.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I guess I should check out the classics that started it all- Night of the Living Dead (1968) and Dawn of the Dead (1978). But I'm afraid they didn't age well and would be a snoozefest.
And Day of the Dead (1985), of those. Oh, and don't forget The Last Man On Earth, if you watched I Am Legend.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
My zombie flicks:

Nice summary Zeze - and I agree with your take on Zombieland vs Shaun of the Dead. Have you seen the Return of the Living Dead series? I can't remember which is which anymore, but there's some very funny spoof-type stuff in there, I recommend at least the first one.

I'd say that From Dusk til Dawn is a vampire movie, not a zombie movie.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
My zombie flicks:

28 Days Later 9/10: An amazing modern adaptation of zombie flicks. This movie started the whole trend of fast & dangerous zombies, rather than the slow herding kind. I absolutely loved the truly lonely feel captured in this film when the protagonist woke up all alone in the barren London. No other zombie flim has come close to capture this. When he met a pair of daughter and father, it really felt like an adventure- driving the car and wading through the city. It also perfectly addressed the societal & human issues very well on the latter half when they met the military. IMO, this is best a zombie flick could get.

28 Weeks Later 8.5/10: What a chilling opening sequence. The sequel pack an equal punch as the original. Amazing all around.

I Am Legend 8/10: A solid flick that beautifully portrayed how one person tries to adapt living all alone while keeping sanity- watching re-runs of morning shows, having a routine stop at a record shop, etc. Some of the plot holes were bit shakey, overall a welcome addition to the genre.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse 4/10: What a joke of a film. It's straight up cartoony and incoherent. The entire series is a typical Hollywood money-grab geared towards kids. I saw this when I was much younger because of friends. Never again.

Shaun of the Dead 7.5/10: Despite the huge cult following and its status as the #1 Zombie satire, it's not all that great for me. I don't know. Simon Pegg's tried-and-true man-child routine is not that funny. In the same vein of his humor, I enjoyed Hot Fuzz better.

Zombieland 8.5/10: This is my favorite zombie satire. Woody Harrelson & that Social Network guy were both perfect. I loved the 4th wall zombie tips (like double tap!). It's clever and witty. And it has Bill Murray & Emma Stone who played their roles very well.

Warm Bodies 8/10: Another solid satire. I loved how it also poked fun at Twilight and today's teen romance flicks. The Romeo & Juliet references were clever and well appreciated. A fun flick all around.

From Dusk til Dawn 7.5/10: A semi-satire, semi-serious action flick. That's right, this is George Clooney in a zombie movie, right along with Tarantino playing a full fledged role. They played a hilarious duo. This was Salma Hayek's breakout role in US too. She was HOT.

Star Trek: First Contact?

Pirates of the Caribbean?

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
My 10/10 movies...

Aliens
Amadeus
Amelie
Black Hawk Down
Blade Runner
Chariots of Fire
Great Escape, The
Gladiator
Inglorious Basterds
Last of the Mohicans, The
Lives of Others, The
Man on Fire
Patton
Right Stuff, The
Saving Private Ryan

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Is 28 days later scary or just suspenseful like the walking dead?

I haven't watched Walking dead, but the movie isn't scary for the most part. One of my favorite zombie outbreak movie ever.. and after millions, this is my fav Danny Boyle movie.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I think Zombie movies were only scary back when they were first invented. At best they are suspenseful now. For me, the 28 days series are some of the better recent "serious" zombie movies.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
My zombie flicks:

hahaha Vampires, not zombies!

The remake of Dawn of the Dead (2004) wasn't too bad. I would even say its better than the original. Then there are the Rec movies, which I haven't seen, but the US remake Quarantine wasnt bad. Planet Terror is an under appreciated zombie movie. This is more like the old Return of the Living Dead (full movie link on YT) zombie movies of the 80's. Kinda retarded at times, but it has its share of laughs. And some good movies that are somewhat related to zombies (parasites) is Splinter (2008) and Slither (2006), although the latter is more comedy than horror. Slither is actually a lot like the old Night of the Creeps (full movie link on YT) movies. And while not a zombie/parasite movie, the mass mental illness movie The Crazies was pretty good, and has many of the attributes of a good zombie movie.

Last edited:

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Well if you want to get technical 28 Days Later/Weeks Later are living people infected by a virus and not zombies either :).

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Here you go sir: http://letterboxd.com/keithtalent/film/upstream-color/

You should see it as you, like me, seem to like these more obtuse types of films judging from some of your past reviews.

KT

Thanx.

My zombie flicks:

Pretty nice summary, and i mostly agree with you for nearly all of them except Warm Bodies, which really wasn't that great IMHO.
Haven't seen From Dusk til Dawn yet, well not fully anyway.

Pacific Rim - 6.5/10
Hmm, what to say.
Almost non-stop insane action all movie long.
Definitely fun to watch in IMAX.

But wow, it felt like every other summer blockbuster.
It's like Superman's constant punchfest and destruction + Avengers ending + Transformers + etc.
Just really, so ridiculous how identical "big summer blockbuster" movies have become.
Same thing every time to an extent...i guess me paying to see these with friends isn't helping.

Phantom - 5/10
As a big Duchovny fan i figured it was worth a watch, but this just wasn't a good movie.
Dialogue was painful sometimes. A lot of bad acting.
I suppose it was supposed to be a tense thriller, but never happened.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
My zombie flicks:

The original NOLD should hold up reasonably well, though it's inspired so much of what's followed that it might seem old hat.

Some others to consider:

Extinction - viral zombie apocalypse in Europe, more low key and character-driven and not a non-stop action movie

Return of the Living Dead #1 - comedy with some very funny bits but serious and disturbing bits too. #2 - forgettable, harmless. #3 - more of a drama, with a zombie girlfriend of a living guy.

Dawn of the Dead - I liked both the original Romero version (slower paced) and the amped-up remake.

Dead Alive - funny, gross, entertaining early Peter Jackson movie.

The Stink of Flesh - if Andy Warhol made a zombie movie, this might be it. Weird and twisted.

(Anime series)
High School of the Dead - Japanese high-school students deal with a zombie apocalypse. Since it's animated there are no budget constraints on sets, crowds, etc. and it's a pretty good story.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
A couple other decent ones:

Undead - Aussie, kind of a comedy zombie flick and some twists I won't give away. Really like this one

Attack Girls Swim Team vs. the Undead - Yea..um..this is an insane cheesy movie. I put it in the so bad and over the top it's good category. When I first saw it, I was saying WTF every other minute or so. There are definitely some original ideas here and even a twin sister lesbian scene (if you're into that sort of thing)

....oh and it's got P*ssy lasers. Nuff said. (no it's not very good, but it's crazy).

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
This Must Be the Place = The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo meets Napoleon Dynamite with a dash of Inglorious Basterds.
Pacific Rim = Neon Genesis Evangelion meets Transformers and Power Rangers with a dash of Voltron.

To all you people arguing about the sword in Pacific Rim: it wasn't some bad-ass super-weapon saved for last. It was an inferior last-resort weapon used when out of ammo and other options. It's like resorting to the melee weapon in an FPS.

Last edited:

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
This Must Be the Place = The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo meets Napoleon Dynamite with a dash of Inglorious Basterds.
Pacific Rim = Neon Genesis Evangelion meets Transformers and Power Rangers with a dash of Voltron.

To all you people arguing about the sword in Pacific Rim: it wasn't some bad-ass super-weapon saved for last. It was an inferior last-resort weapon used when out of ammo and other options. It's like resorting to the melee weapon in an FPS.

So why did they resort to using it AFTER all the hand-to-hand combat...

And it wasn't inferior, it was great.

I loved [sarcasm] how in every fight the first move was always to rush in and get beaten around, and then use the sword or projectile weaponry as a last resort.
Entertaining action, sure. Also, utterly retarded and idiotic and unrealistic.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
So why did they resort to using it AFTER all the hand-to-hand combat...

And it wasn't inferior, it was great.

I loved [sarcasm] how in every fight the first move was always to rush in and get beaten around, and then use the sword or projectile weaponry as a last resort.
Entertaining action, sure. Also, utterly retarded and idiotic and unrealistic.

Because they were severely crippled and lost the alternatives for a killing strike/final blow. Cliche, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.