NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 169 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Quite possibly my least favorite movie of all time, maybe tied with Kung Pow. Which I believe is its polar opposite :p

I wrote my thoughts better on Letterboxd, but I really liked the relationship in the film and this idea of shared experiences. I thought the lead actress was amazing in it. I have the Blu-ray at home and am just waiting for the right time to re-watch it.

I fully understand it is not for everyone though.

KT

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Well, when I watched it I didn't realize it was going to be the kind of movie it was (experimental, indie, incomprehensible, modern art, etc., like Tree Of Life and others). I would never have even tried had I known that. Next time I'm reading a few more reviews before I start something on Netflix, and if all the reviewers are trying to one-up each other with their use of adjectives, I'll stay away. Or if it's listed as an independent film. I never knew how much I appreciated the mindless Hollywood blockbuster until now.

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I'm impressed you made it through if it you didn't know what you were getting into beforehand. I'm impressed I made it through...

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
hmm, I just watched the Spike Lee Oldboy trailer and now I'm interesting in seeing the OG version. But I really didn't care for the first of the trilogy...it seems completely different though?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
hmm, I just watched the Spike Lee Oldboy trailer and now I'm interesting in seeing the OG version. But I really didn't care for the first of the trilogy...it seems completely different though?

Well Oldboy is the best film of the trilogy. I also think it's one of those ones you should see since it comes up so often.

KT

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I'm impressed you made it through if it you didn't know what you were getting into beforehand. I'm impressed I made it through...

My wife was watching and she wanted to finish. At some point I gave up trying to make sense of it and just played with my phone.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Hunger Games -

The buildup to hunger games - 8/10
Actual hunger games - 3/10

Pretty disappointed with the movie overall. I know a lot of teenagers like this movie, but my god the 2nd half was terrible.

My question with the HG trilogy is where the heck is the 2nd one?
You'd think the 2nd movie would be more or less hot on the heels of the 1st, but thus far it's not even a blip on the radar... something like Nov 22nd is the release day. 2.5 years after the 1st?!?!

But yeah. The movie, much like the books ... "meh"

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Typically the 2nd movie is usually that far out, but what they do is make the 3rd one at the same time or very shortly after and release it a year later.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
End of Watch - 9/10

This movie came outta nowhere and really surprised me. It is one of the best cop movies I have ever seen. I am surprised people did not talk more about this movie last year. Highly recommended

Holy shit this movie was good.

I definitely give it a 9/10 too. I'd never heard about it before but it's like a mix of Menace to Society and the best cop movie I've seen.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
My question with the HG trilogy is where the heck is the 2nd one?
You'd think the 2nd movie would be more or less hot on the heels of the 1st, but thus far it's not even a blip on the radar... something like Nov 22nd is the release day. 2.5 years after the 1st?!?!

But yeah. The movie, much like the books ... "meh"

My wife dragged me to it and as we were leaving I said "you're gonna drag me to the next one aren't you?" It still hasn't happened... heh.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I wrote my thoughts better on Letterboxd, but I really liked the relationship in the film and this idea of shared experiences. I thought the lead actress was amazing in it. I have the Blu-ray at home and am just waiting for the right time to re-watch it.

I fully understand it is not for everyone though.

KT

Heh, link?
Can't seem to see your review on Letterboxd.

It sounds like my kinda movie too.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Red 2 - 7/10: If you liked the first one, you will like this one. I liked the first one enough; it was funny in parts and had some decent action. This has more of the same. Malkovich, Mirren, and Hopkins were all great, Parker much less so. The guy from I Saw the Devil injected some nice energy to liven things up a bit. Pretty fun and very easy to watch.

KT

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Extinction - 7/10

Netflix streaming. European viral zombie apocalypse movie. More of a character drama than an action movie, though there is some action. It's interesting and entertaining if you can accept the slower pace.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Pacific Rim - 6/10

Extremely epic battles, extremely predictable story. I could probably read you 2 or 3 lines of dialog from the first half hour and you could guess exactly how it ends.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Pacific Rim - 6/10

Extremely epic battles, extremely predictable story. I could probably read you 2 or 3 lines of dialog from the first half hour and you could guess exactly how it ends.

I kind of have the same overall opinion of it. I wish they would have been willing to beef up the story a bit as I don't know why we need such a dichotomy between epic action and epic stories. To give you an idea, I was actually confused about a half hour into the movie
because I thought that ace pilot looked just like the brother that supposedly died. Was it some amnesia thing that they were doing? I had no idea... we barely knew the characters.
Also, while it may have been cool,
why did they use "boat sword" when they have an actual sword that they ended up using later against the same kaiju!

I'd probably give it a 7/10.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I kind of have the same overall opinion of it. I wish they would have been willing to beef up the story a bit as I don't know why we need such a dichotomy between epic action and epic stories. To give you an idea, I was actually confused about a half hour into the movie
because I thought that ace pilot looked just like the brother that supposedly died. Was it some amnesia thing that they were doing? I had no idea... we barely knew the characters.
why did they use "boat sword" when they have an actual sword that they ended up using later against the same kaiju!

Yeah, I thought it was pretty crazy how similar Sons of Anarchy and Homeland look (I don't know their real names, just the shows that they are famous for). The entire sword thing didn't make much sense to me either. When it was first unveiled, why did they waste 10 minutes getting their ass kicked and throwing punches when they could just swipe their sword once and kill it?

I kind of wish the whole backstory had been told in real time, instead of the flashback/summary at the beginning and skipping several years a couple of times.

Sep 29, 2004
Charles Bradley: Soul of America is now on Netlfix. Worth watching!

Continuum - Also on Netflix (season 1). Talk about an awesome show! The first 5 episodes are good but believe me, the last 5 are awesome and the last two especially are incredible.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Holy shit this movie was good.

I definitely give it a 9/10 too. I'd never heard about it before but it's like a mix of Menace to Society and the best cop movie I've seen.
I watched it [End of Watch] a few weeks ago, didn't know what to expect whatsoever, which is what I prefer... no expectations. Here are the notes I wrote just after seeing it:

Kind of an epitome of a cop movie.
All about cops, cops in a ghetto environment replete with drugs, guns, gangs, vendettas, cop-hate, poverty, graffiti, seemingly constant danger in spite of the good natured kidding back and forth between the two cops paired together (white and latino), who are soul brothers. That back and forth is a good portion of the movie, as they are cruising the streets. Calls on their two-way radios, hand held much of the time. It's exploitative, lurid, kind of preposterous if you try to think of what the reality of being a cop is, that is to say, noone could survive or live such a stressful existence all the time. Well, that shit happens, sure, but not all to the same two guys, jeez. It was written and directed by one guy, and I watched some of the extras. He seems a little humorless, maybe, is youngish, compared to a lot of guys. I didn't see him smile, instead saw a kind of quirky twist in his mouth. I think the things said in the extras are overblown, kind of the world through a highly distorting lens sorts of blurbs.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

They knew the monsters were learning from the weapons they were using so it could had been they wanted to keep the sword secret longer but they had to use it when they did.

You saw what happened after they did where they fought later on and used it and ended up getting the arm removed.

I am just surprised the boat lasted so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.