NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 168 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
3pyqd4.jpg

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Regarding Independence Day:
Awesome when it came out. I tried to watch it on Blu-Ray many years ago and realized it was complete garbage.

ID4 is like one of those movies you grow up from imo. When I was younger the movie seemed awesome. But it didn't age well. But some old movies hold up very well- like Terminator II.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
ID4 is like one of those movies you grow up from imo. When I was younger the movie seemed awesome. But it didn't age well. But some old movies hold up very well- like Terminator II.

yeah independence day was on tv a bunch recently cause of 4th of july and i caught bits and pieces of it. i loved the movie as a kid and it definitely did not age well at all.

couple recent kids movies that i watched and did age extremely well are jurassic park and teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
couple recent kids movies that i watched and did age extremely well are jurassic park and teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Yup, JP held up perfectly! I saw it just few months ago. Holy hell, how does the 20+ yo CGI still look real?

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Star Trek Into Darkness: 7/10. Entertaining popcorn flick. Liked the plot twist and homage to the old movies. Was very sick of the lens flare by the end of it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yup, JP held up perfectly! I saw it just few months ago. Holy hell, how does the 20+ yo CGI still look real?

yeah i watched it in 3d when the bluray came out, i can't believe how amazing the special effects are and its that old. i mean it's better than a lot of more recent dinosaur special effects are in movies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Watched King of Kong last night. Now, I'm no gamer, have done a bit, never spent a quarter in an arcade IIRC. Still, it was interesting and I found myself rooting for Weibe. What his ~8-9 year old daughter had to say about the Guinness Book of World Records struck me as by far the most intelligent thing I've heard anyone say about it. Too many people ruin there lives to get their names in it! Precocious kid!

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Watched King of Kong last night. Now, I'm no gamer, have done a bit, never spent a quarter in an arcade IIRC. Still, it was interesting and I found myself rooting for Weibe. What his ~8-9 year old daughter had to say about the Guinness Book of World Records struck me as by far the most intelligent thing I've heard anyone say about it. Too many people ruin there lives to get their names in it! Precocious kid!

The documentary is accused of being terribly biased for the audience to root for the 'protagonist'.

That 'villain' video game pro is neither rude or douchey. It's all editing.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Hunger Games -

The buildup to hunger games - 8/10
Actual hunger games - 3/10

Pretty disappointed with the movie overall. I know a lot of teenagers like this movie, but my god the 2nd half was terrible.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Hunger Games -

Pretty disappointed with the movie overall. I know a lot of teenagers like this movie, but my god the 2nd half was terrible.

But he painted himself as a rock!

KT

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
What movies do you reserve 10/10 for? I'm not super stingy with perfect scores. There are lots and lots of movies in cinema. But there are quite a few gems that leave me stunned when credits roll.

Terminator II: Judgement Day 10/10: James Cameron's best work. You never see an action flick that also has heart, emotion, and a solid plot. This is my adolescence gem. The movie is timeless and hasn't aged one bit 22 years later.

Shawshank Redemption 10/10: A masterful storytelling. Morgan Freeman's narration is unmatched in cinematic history. Tell me another movie that can make a grown man's heart fill with warmth when they both meet on the beach in the end.

Something About Mary 10/10: I have to include a comedy genre in this. This is Ben Stiller & Cameron Diaz' finest work, but the true hilarity comes from Matt Dillon's gut-busting sleazy performance. Farrelly brothers did an amazing job with the writing. It's just as silly Dumb & Dumber, but Mary has quite a smart plot and situational humor.

Gladiator 10/10: Ridley Scott's finest. An epic tale of a general who turned into slave then rose to become a general again. Scott perfectly captured the love the general has for his for family and vengeance. This is Russell Crowe's finest performance, and Joaquin Phoenix played the best villain of recent cinema history- with fully realized backstory and character development. The soundtrack is an unmatched work as well.

Forrest Gump 10/10: A true character study of two people going through life. It's a classic folk of a good old All-American southern average joe. That Jenny's grave scene is can make me shed a tear every time I watch it.

Can't complain too much here thought I would not consider "Something About Mary" a 10/10. Some other movies I think get a 10/10:

Saving Private Ryan
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
A Bronx Tale
Braveheart
Die Hard

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Hunger Games -

I could see there was a really good story in there somewhere but the movie skipped it all. In the movie (haven't read the books), there was very little motivation shown for anything that the characters did, to a point it didn't even make sense.

Sep 29, 2004
yeah i watched it in 3d when the bluray came out, i can't believe how amazing the special effects are and its that old. i mean it's better than a lot of more recent dinosaur special effects are in movies.

All the money was spent on the dinasuar CGI. Not the forest around it and cityscapes like today.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
A lot of the dinosaurs were animatronics and practical effects, which is why they look so great. The fly-over shots of the CGI dinosaurs running in the fields was the worst stuff. Not awful, but nowhere near as good as the "real" dinosaurs like the T-Rex and whatnot.

KT

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The documentary is accused of being terribly biased for the audience to root for the 'protagonist'.

...and it was very entertaining!

I've re-watched it many times after reading about the editing and "inaccurate" portrayal of Billy Mitchell...but I still see him deliberately trying to prevent Wiebe from having a chance to prove himself in public. Seemed pretty douchey to me.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

We're talking about King of Kong here.

I get that. I won't be watching it again. Documentaries should try not to manipulate the audience!

My comments in my database that I just wrote:

About old school primitive video games and their junkies, who number in the millions, but this focuses on the elite, the people who are great at them and compete, the very best trying to achieve the top scores, king of the hill, as it were. Somewhat manipulative, especially toward the end. They try to get you to root for one guy, they stretch it out, there's a lack of proportion.

Last edited:

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Jack Reacher: 7/10

Kinda a stab in the dark as far as rating it. It's not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination but it was enjoyable. It's one of those late night movies that you can watch brain dead and enjoy. Yes it's predictable and no it's not very original but I don't understand all the hate. It's pretty solid entertainment. I recommend it but I wish there were more movies like it but better. Either way it had some good parts where I was like "fuck yeah" and it had a pretty good chase scene. Makes me want to watch Ronin again.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
A lot of the dinosaurs were animatronics and practical effects, which is why they look so great. The fly-over shots of the CGI dinosaurs running in the fields was the worst stuff. Not awful, but nowhere near as good as the "real" dinosaurs like the T-Rex and whatnot.

KT

Yeah, you can make out between CGI and actual special effects pretty easily.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Haha, that is one of the dumbest scenes ever. I knew he would camaflouge himself at some point, but that was so over the top that it left me shaking my head.

I literally burst out laughing in the theatre when that happened; so freaking stupid. I got a lot of dirty looks from those around me. :|

KT

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
All the Evil Dead talk made me realize I hadn't watched the remake yet.

Evil Dead 2013 - 8/10 - Honestly rating reboot/remakes is tough. Many of my favorite movies are actually remakes/reimagining of older 50's movies (The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, even Alien) so it gets hard to be too judgmental about them just because I actually saw and liked the previous ones. So I am basing my rating on the movie itself as a horror movie and not as a reboot. As a horror movie, it is pretty damn good. In today's overrun zombie horror climate, it really is nothing special plot wise, but the over the top violence and gore is right up there with Devils Rejects. They really didn't spend too much on the book itself which was an interesting change, although
WTF stupid moves - big red letters DO NOT READ, SPEAK or WRITE and that's immediately what he does, even goes out of his way to do it, and if it's not campy or stupid, then why? It moves the plot forward, but seemed force as hell.

As a remake I'm torn. I can accept this as a completely different universe, but if it wasn't supposed to be, why make so many story changes? I will admit it had me guessing to the end as to who was going to be "Ash" and I guessed wrong a few times.

Anyway, overall I really enjoyed it and it's cringe worthy moments.

Last edited:

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Upstream Color - 0/10
Pretentious 2deep4u garbage, no plot, no meaning to anything that happened. The first few minutes had some interesting parts, but most of it was just randomly switching between pigs and people talking about birds.

I should know better than to watch movies that have a high critic rating and are listed as "independent." This is the reason people hate independent cinema. People rate this kind of movie highly so they can appear intelligent.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Upstream Color - 0/10
Pretentious 2deep4u garbage, no plot, no meaning to anything that happened. The first few minutes had some interesting parts, but most of it was just randomly switching between pigs and people talking about birds.

I should know better than to watch movies that have a high critic rating and are listed as "independent." This is the reason people hate independent cinema. People rate this kind of movie highly so they can appear intelligent.

Probably my first or second favourite film of the year so far. :awe:

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.