NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 160 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Two recommendation from KT:

Sunshine - 9/10 - A very nice sci-fi sleeper along the realms of Alien and Event Horizon. Has the same look and feel and holds up well.

Dark City - 5/10 - Another sci-fi, sort of a ghetto Matrix. 3/4 of the way through it and cannot recommend it. Having a very difficult time getting into it. Don't know what's worse, the acting, the cheesy effects, or the noir style. Just can't get into it. Kiefer Sutherland's performance has ruined it for me.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The Expendables 2 - 5/10

I liked the first one, since I've watched all of those cheesy 80s - 90s action movies. The second one has some new, fun cameos but the writing is awful: the team acts like idiots, and the cameo stars spout brain-dead jokey references to the one-liners from their films.

If you liked the first Expendables movie, keep your expectations very low and you'll be entertained by parts of this one too.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Anchorman - 7/10
I never found Will Ferrell funny. He's low-brow predictable crap humor that requires zero wit. And unlike a real lowbrow stuff like Dumb & Dumber, it's just lame all around. EVERY MOVIE he plays the same character of a bumbling idiot. You could ALWAYS call what he'll do next.

I saw this movie because of all this Anchorman 2 hype. I didn't even know the original was considered good. It's nothing special. Few snickers here and there.

Then your rating is quite high. Based on what you've said its more of a 5 or 6.

Nov 7, 2000

Sunshine - 9/10 - A very nice sci-fi sleeper along the realms of Alien and Event Horizon. Has the same look and feel and holds up well.

Dark City - 5/10 - Another sci-fi, sort of a ghetto Matrix. 3/4 of the way through it and cannot recommend it. Having a very difficult time getting into it. Don't know what's worse, the acting, the cheesy effects, or the noir style. Just can't get into it. Kiefer Sutherland's performance has ruined it for me.
Dark City came first, just in case you thought it might be trying to cash in on The Matrix

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
Man of Steel - 9/10

Loved it. I thought it was great experience. Definitely the best I've seen this year.

Movies that I've seen lately - Man of Steel > This is the End > Fast and Furious > Pain and Gain > Now You See Me > Iron Man 3 > Star Trek Into Lens Flare > The Purge > Hangover 3.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Side Effects - 7.5/10 great story, bimho, not enough drama with the twists in the plot, not thrilling enough as far as a crime thriller go, also, felt a little rushed.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Man of Steel - 6.5/10

I saw it yesterday. Overall a good movie with a good plot and action but I feel it felt a bit lifeless. I loved Crowes performance but wanted more of Costner. Also, you never really connect with any of the characters save for Jor-El. And, i felt the movie lacked color! I mean really. The film was colorless.

Nov 7, 2000
The Dictator - 7.8/10 - I'm a big fan of Ali G, so definitely biased in favor of liking this. I was afraid all the funny stuff would be in the trailers but was pleasantly surprised.

Shaun of the Dead - 7.5/10 - Solid movie for me, but I thought I would love it... so a bit of a let down. Though, the more I think on the movie, the more I appreciate it so I'm not sure how confident I am on this score.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The flashback scenes were the best part!

I loved the content of the flashbacks, it was more about how they were inserted into the film. So an it's an editing issue for me, not a content issue.

I worried you may not enjoy Dark City as it is a bit older and pretty low budget and while it has been quite a while since I watched it, I think it does what it does quite well. I love the noir style of the film.

Anyway, glad you liked Sunshine. That one was a no-brainer considering the criteria you gave me.

Sherlock - 9.5/10
Fucking terrific

UK or US? :hmm:

KT

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Any chance we could get some consistancy here. You know TITLE: SCORE/10 all in bold? Some of you are doing out of 5, some not in bold, and some at the end. Some aren't even scoring.

Hunger Games: 7/10

Might be better. Not sure. I read all the books and they're excellent - I mean really good can't put them down kinda books - and the movie didn't have that affect on me at all. However I think they did pretty good for a movie and they stuck to the book quite well. There's just such a huge difference in the character development that I can't score it any higher.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Lords of Salem - ***/******** - Meh. He should stick to shooting music videos or shorts and I think his stuff would be better.

Good Day to Die Hard - 1 green clover, 2 blue diamonds - What happened? I loved this franchise. Just..not good, and one more coming next year.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Snitch - 3.5/5

it was entertaining, and i'm a big fan of the rock. but the story felt extremely rushed and totally not believable, especially since they said it was "inspired by a true story". i just expected something a bit more believable and realistic, but if it did really go down like that then damn, way to go.

there were a few things that didn't make sense to me, like when they drove 1000 miles (i believe 1 way) for a deal, then the next day/scene, you see the same guys meet with him local. it just didn't make sense how they were all of a sudden 1000 miles away from where they were before. just some questionable decision making too from the guy who plays shane in the walking dead.

worth watching once though since it definitely kept my interest the whole movie. just kind of different than expected.

Gladiator: Extended Cut - 5/5

I hadn't seen this movie in ages and just got the steel book from amazon for $10 a while ago so I wanted to watch the extended edition in full. it's like 22 minutes longer or so. there are really some scenes that i scratched my head at as to why they were cut out of the original flick. sure it makes the movie longer but it also made you realize just how much of a pussy/power hungry guy that commodus was, and he would do anything to get his way. i also believe that the very very end in the extended cut is different than the regular one. i was going to compare them but didn't get the chance to.

gladiator is just one of those classics to me that will never get old. the soundtrack is amazing in the movie as well.

Last edited:

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Anchorman - 7/10
I never found Will Ferrell funny. He's low-brow predictable crap humor that requires zero wit. And unlike a real lowbrow stuff like Dumb & Dumber, it's just lame all around. EVERY MOVIE he plays the same character of a bumbling idiot. You could ALWAYS call what he'll do next.

I saw this movie because of all this Anchorman 2 hype. I didn't even know the original was considered good. It's nothing special. Few snickers here and there.

The problem with Anchorman is that everyone watches it expecting a comedy. It's not. It is a documentary. No really, work in television news for 6 months and you'll quickly realize that this parody is less parody and more reality.

THEN, this movie gets REALLY funny.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
This is the End - 8/10: I laughed like a moron for about 90% of this one. Jonah Hill and James Franco in-particular were hilarious, but the whole thing had me laughing a lot. It goes some dumb places near the end, but I had a lot of fun up until that point.

Magic Mike - 7/10: Way more fun than it had any right to be. A pretty generic story elevated by Soderbergh and by the performances of McConaughey and Tatum in-particular.

Papillon - 9.5/10: Classic prison escape film and a true story, with an amazing performance from Steve McQueen. It's 2.5 hours long, but it just flies by. I knew I loved it as a kid, but after so many years I was glad to see it still holds up. Great movie.

KT

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
Papillon - 9.5/10: Classic prison escape film and a true story, with an amazing performance from Steve McQueen. It's 2.5 hours long, but it just flies by. I knew I loved it as a kid, but after so many years I was glad to see it still holds up. Great movie.

KT

I picked Papillon up over a year ago. After it sat around for about 6 months, I finally had time to sit back, relax and popped it in the DVD player. I fell asleep about half way through! I really need to set the time aside and watch the whole thing through. I did enjoy the little that I saw and remembered!

12 Angry Men (1957) - 10/10 I don't know if I have ever rated a movie with a full 10/10, but this flick was just awesome. The characters, the "plot", the whole set (which was 99% in one room) and the waay it was filmed was just fantastic. I absolutely loved this film. My only regret is that I hadn't seen it sooner. A classic movie at its finest.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
This is the End - 8/10: I laughed like a moron for about 90% of this one. Jonah Hill and James Franco in-particular were hilarious, but the whole thing had me laughing a lot. It goes some dumb places near the end, but I had a lot of fun up until that point.

What troubles me the most about this movie is that I can't figure out why I just don't enjoy it. Maybe it was because I was a bit tired? I tend to not enjoy movies when I'm tired, but I seem to be in the rather small minority that dislikes This Is the End. I thought the first 20 minutes or so were pretty good as it had a cameo factor that shot through the freakin' roof of Franco's house. However, I thought that it just stagnated after that point and settled into a cascade of cheap gags based off of making fun of their previous movies and rehashing their same characters. I think it would have enjoyed it more if they didn't stay cooped up in the house for so long.

Oh, and as a question... did you also like Pineapple Express?

Magic Mike - 7/10: Way more fun than it had any right to be. A pretty generic story elevated by Soderbergh and by the performances of McConaughey and Tatum in-particular.

Did you watch this one of your own volition, or did the missus have a say in it? :p

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

I picked Papillon up over a year ago. After it sat around for about 6 months, I finally had time to sit back, relax and popped it in the DVD player. I fell asleep about half way through! I really need to set the time aside and watch the whole thing through. I did enjoy the little that I saw and remembered!

12 Angry Men (1957) - 10/10 I don't know if I have ever rated a movie with a full 10/10, but this flick was just awesome. The characters, the "plot", the whole set (which was 99% in one room) and the waay it was filmed was just fantastic. I absolutely loved this film. My only regret is that I hadn't seen it sooner. A classic movie at its finest.

12 Angry Men is pretty amazing. An impressive achievement.

You really should give Papillon another try, it's a great story and the film presents it very well.

What troubles me the most about this movie is that I can't figure out why I just don't enjoy it. Maybe it was because I was a bit tired? I tend to not enjoy movies when I'm tired, but I seem to be in the rather small minority that dislikes This Is the End. I thought the first 20 minutes or so were pretty good as it had a cameo factor that shot through the freakin' roof of Franco's house. However, I thought that it just stagnated after that point and settled into a cascade of cheap gags based off of making fun of their previous movies and rehashing their same characters. I think it would have enjoyed it more if they didn't stay cooped up in the house for so long.

Oh, and as a question... did you also like Pineapple Express?

Did you watch this one of your own volition, or did the missus have a say in it? :p

I did like Pineapple Express, but I didn't love it. I enjoyed This is the End far more. I'm not a big fan of stoner comedies in general so that took away from Pineapple Express, but I'm a fan of those involved so that made me like it more than I probably should have. I thought what they did with some of the characters in This is the End was hilarious; as I mentioned Franco and Hill were my favourites. Some reviews said they found the jokes easy, but I'm not sure I agree and if I do, I really don't care! :D

Magic Mike is great. :colbert:

KT

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Gladiator: Extended Cut - 5/5

I hadn't seen this movie in ages and just got the steel book from amazon for $10 a while ago so I wanted to watch the extended edition in full. it's like 22 minutes longer or so. there are really some scenes that i scratched my head at as to why they were cut out of the original flick. sure it makes the movie longer but it also made you realize just how much of a pussy/power hungry guy that commodus was, and he would do anything to get his way. i also believe that the very very end in the extended cut is different than the regular one. i was going to compare them but didn't get the chance to.

gladiator is just one of those classics to me that will never get old. the soundtrack is amazing in the movie as well.

Soundtrack. Yes.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
The Purge - 5/10

What a ridiculously good premise that turned into nothing more than a cliche'd home invasion movie. Reports are that there will be a 2nd one - lets hope they reboot the film with better writing and take advantage of "The Purge". Still a decent movie, and some good horror-esque scenes.

Now You See Me - 6/10

Great premise - but so over the top it bordered on laughable and the ending was a no brainier. More magic, less over the top stunts. First 20-minutes was impressive as they did there character development.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Man of Steel - 9/10

This is how a superhero movie should be. Tons of action, great costumes, good acting, and the bare minimum on character development with humor mixed in every 30 minutes or so (not 5 minutes like your standard one). Superman was stoic yet humble, manly yet compassionate, and pretty much everything you imagine him to be. Nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.