NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 151 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Dude, Where's My Car? 8/10

This was on cable the other night and I still think it is as funny as seeing it opening night. Why this movie is considered bad yet Adam Sandler makes movies that are much worse and manage to generate hundreds of millions of dollars is beyond me. This movie has too much original humor to be bad.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Dude, Where's My Car? 8/10

This was on cable the other night and I still think it is as funny as seeing it opening night. Why this movie is considered bad yet Adam Sandler makes movies that are much worse and manage to generate hundreds of millions of dollars is beyond me. This movie has too much original humor to be bad.

Loved that movie. Hilarious.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Django Unchained - 8.5/10. I thought I wouldn't like it given all the hype and awards. I liked it a lot. Very good story and Christoph Waltz was excellent in it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Django Unchained - 8.5/10. I thought I wouldn't like it given all the hype and awards. I liked it a lot. Very good story and Christoph Waltz was excellent in it.

you base whether or not you will like movies, based on the opposite of the acclaim they get?

:confused:

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
you base whether or not you will like movies, based on the opposite of the acclaim they get?

:confused:

No, but sometimes when you have high expectations for a movie because of the hype, you can be very dissapointed. But this wasn't the case for me. That's what I meant.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No, but sometimes when you have high expectations for a movie because of the hype, you can be very dissapointed. But this wasn't the case for me. That's what I meant.

oh ok, that isn't what it sounded like. sounded like you were saying it got a lot of media hype so it must suck lol.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
John Dies at the End - 7.99/10 - I really liked the film, and it had some great moments, but I felt that it missed being a really great film.

Almost forgot, I also watched:

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - 8/10 - I really liked this movie. It was genuinely funny and sad. It takes a while, but you do end up caring for the characters.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Safety Not Guaranteed - 7.5/10

Kinda funny and cute at times, but the ending just sorta came and went without getting any real closure on a couple of the b story lines. It feels like there could have been another 30-45 mins easy, and it would have been a better movie.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Pi - 6.5/10

I love mindfuck films and this one was no exception. I had high expectations but was mostly left with WTF?

I mean the basic plot is guy is a fucking supergenius who is being pulled by 2 different groups of people - religious dudes vs business dudes, both want his brain for "this number". At the end of the movie, guy decides "Fuck this I'm over it" and gives himself a lobotomy.

Sound about right? If so it felt like a cross between "A Beautiful Mind" and "Sucker Punch"...except without the genius

My SO got bored less than 30 minutes in, so she would rate it considerably lower. Only part I enjoyed was the manner in which it was shot.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Watched it with you and I'd give it 8.5/10. It really is a whole lot better than most movies I've watched.

Revised to 7.5. I think that's what I intended anyway. Also, 7 *is* "a lot better than most movies I've watched." Rating should use the whole range a bit more than most people seem to utilize. Most people rate every average movie they like at 8 or 9. To me, that's a five. Kinda like how IGN can't seem to give a bad game less than a 7 thanks to every pub, dev, and platform creator being an advertising partner.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2000
Rock of Ages - 4.7/10 - Really just bad all around. Musicals don't appeal to me much in the first place. Some of the music was good, but mashups annoy me too. As thin a plot as you can manage. Hard to evaluate acting, since it was mostly song.

Zero Dark 30 - 7.8/10 - Very good, too bad the ending had already been spoilered. The feminist power came through a bit too much for my tastes.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 9/10 - really well done, disturbing and delivered it's message without being overt about it.

Fireproof - 2/10 - terrible acting, overt message they just hammer you with repeatedly.

Sep 29, 2004
Breaking Bad - 10/10 - Holy crap, the dad from Malcom in the Middle is awesome. Holy crap, he is a profoundly good actor. Check out his wikipedia!

Anyway. This show is unreal. I have not been hooked on a show like this since Lost was on TV years ago. I watched the first 4 seasons on Netlfix. The first half of season 5 is "available" and the second half is starting late summer. Season 5 is the last. AWESOME. I don't know where to start. The story arc since the beginning is awesome. The characters are awesome. The writing, great. I literally have nothing bad to say. They even get the science correct enough that it is believable to all but hard core chemists. I have to imagine that they don't actually tell you how to make meth on the show.

Unlike Lost, every season just gets better.

OK, one negative. Even when showing a hardcore meth addict, no meth mouth. I highly suggest you not google meth mouth.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Oblivion 6/10 - Good, not great. First half was pretty damn cool (9/10) but it dragged out and the conclusion was kinda dumb. I had to read the wikipedia summary just to make sure I understood the ending properly. Wait for DVD

Iron Man 3 9/10 - See this in a theater. It was pretty damned good. The only weak point was the love story aspect of it. Great action movie, great special effects and good comic relief. Truly well done.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Watched "Flight" last night. Damn, Denzel did an awesome job (weird). I could honestly feel for him and was rooting for him as I know all too well what it's like to struggle with alcohol. 9/10

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Watched "Flight" last night. Damn, Denzel did an awesome job (weird). 9/10

Why weird? Do you typically not enjoy his films? He is an awesome actor, but I'll admit I haven't seen some of his more recent work. I did see flight and he was awesome in it.

Remember the Titans - 9/10

I could watch this movie anytime. It was on TV last week sometime and my son was really into it. To my surprise, he'd never seen it so I told him to turn it off so the whole family could watch it later that night. Denzel was awesome in this move too!

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Why weird? Do you typically not enjoy his films? He is an awesome actor, but I'll admit I haven't seen some of his more recent work. I did see flight and he was awesome in it.

Remember the Titans - 9/10

I could watch this movie anytime. It was on TV last week sometime and my son was really into it. To my surprise, he'd never seen it so I told him to turn it off so the whole family could watch it later that night. Denzel was awesome in this move too!

lol that little pissant scrawny white kid was Ryan Gosling!

And the little girl is the cheerleader chick from Heroes.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Les Mis (2012) 7/10: WTF did I just watch? Fiancee and I were excited to watch it, but kept out expectations low because of the reviews. We were expecting the standard musical with dialogues in between. The whole fvcking movie is singing. You heard that right- 99.5% is singing. It's. constant. endless. singing. Every word, every sentence is sung in notes. We were quite thrown off. And the dubbing was too obvious, so was the lip syncing. That turned me off greatly as well. The plot and presentation was good, but obvious dubbing and continuous singing was terribly off-putting.

The Hobbit 7.5/10: Forgettable but good. Also watched it with low expectations, but we were pleasantly surprised. Beautiful scenery, same folklore-like plot, great 'guest' appearances from LOTR movies. Overall we enjoyed it.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower 8/10: I'm a huge sucker for nostalgia and coming-of-age films. The first half was rather underwhelming- typical teens going through typical awkwardness, dealing with HS, etc. But then the latter half but very interesting with the disturbing underbelly. It was very well done. I liked it.

The Intouchables (2011) 8/10: A predictable feel-good movie. A rich quadriplegic aristocrat hires a ghetto black man as his helper. They both learn from each other. I mean you can tell the whole plot just from looking at the poster. But the movie still ended up being good because they showed the ending in front of the film- as if to say, "yea you know this would happen'. Nice touch. The chemistry between the two are absolutely amazing though.

the_intouchables.jpg

Rust and Bones 6/10: Another frenchy film. Just a standard darker love drama. Nothing special. I couldn't finish it. I skipped to the ending and read the plot just to see what happened.

rust-bone.jpg

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Oblivion - 8.5/10

I liked this quite a bit, though if I let some of the sillier plot devices bother me I would drop it a bit. I was able to suppress that and just enjoy it though. The main reason I like to talk about Oblivion is to introduce 'Moon' to those who haven't had the pleasure of seeing it though. It's substantially darker, but a fantastic film.

Moon - 9/10

See it. Sam Rockwell is epic in this, and the music, direction, the overall forboding vibe, it's all top notch stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.