NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 150 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
band of brothers - 10/10

so sad that this ended last night :( such an amazing show. my favorite movie is saving private ryan, and this is like a 10 hour version of that movie. just so damn good. forgot just how many damn actors were in that series. had no clue tom hardy was in it, he is thin as a rail in it too. and i didn't even remember brody from homeland was like the main character.

will definitely visit this in a couple years again.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Yeah, I watched the entire Band Of Brothers series and it was good. The battle of the bulge was pretty amazing. Speaking of amazing it just makes me wonder how the hell we won the war with Germany, they have stronger tanks. I guess we just out numbered them.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Yeah, I watched the entire Band Of Brothers series and it was good. The battle of the bulge was pretty amazing. Speaking of amazing it just makes me wonder how the hell we won the war with Germany, they have stronger tanks. I guess we just out numbered them.

BOB showed us what was different between us and them. We (the Band o Brothers) practiced everything for a year before we shipped out to the war. We were ready for the various situations that an invading army needs to do.
Tee Jay

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Lords of Salem - 4.5/10

If you're into watching wrinkled old ladies scream while naked, then this might be your favorite movie ever. For the rest of us, it was pretty forgettable. The acting was weak enough to be a distraction and the story & pacing were all over the place.

The Devil's Rejects may end up being the only Rob Zombie movie that I ever like.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Sunshine 8.5/10 (Although I'd like to give it a 10/10 subjectively)

It concerns a crew of astronauts whose mission is to reignite the sun which has started dimming and dooming the earth to eventually freeze 50 years into the future.

The music and cinematography are outstanding.

The tone of the movie changes 2/3 of the way in and there is seemingly a huge flaw concerning the ship and mission.

However, good sci-fi in which the adversary isn't aliens but an environmental factor that must be overcome is rare. And I like the first parts of the movie and the ending so much that the flaws and inconsistencies are forgivable for me.

A solid :thumbsup: from me for this one.

Yeah first 2/3 = fantastic, 10/10.

Then last 1/3 = wtf, poop.

I watched this movie now just because you guys mentioned it.

It is such a treat to watch any intelligent scifi movies today. The movie is very very Danny Boyle. Just like 28 Days Later, the theme wanders off and turns into a different take. It's not about fighting zombies or restarting the sun, but an apt observation of human drama, chaos, struggle, and triumph.

I didn't like it when the 'villain' showed up with all these 'artsy' distorted visuals. But I came to embrace it.

I give it a solid 8.5/10

How did I miss little scifi gems like this? Same for Moon (2009). Anything else I should also check out? I'm a fan of such genre in the likes of Children of Men, Gattaca, Source Code, etc.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
LOL. For some reason I like this movie. I guess I've always liked the unbelievable underdog movies. I also get the backstory that set it in motion.

i too enjoyed here comes the boom. was just a fun enjoyable movie. definitely not realistic or anything, but just a fun ride.

Lords of Salem - 4.5/10

If you're into watching wrinkled old ladies scream while naked, then this might be your favorite movie ever. For the rest of us, it was pretty forgettable. The acting was weak enough to be a distraction and the story & pacing were all over the place.

The Devil's Rejects may end up being the only Rob Zombie movie that I ever like.

the devil's rejects is an awesome movie. i actually have the bluray on the way as i ordered it from gohastings last week when they had a sale on used movies. picked it up on bluray for like $4.

jurassic park 3d - 10/10 - i just love this movie in general, and would give it 10/10 without the 3d. i probably watched this movie over 20 times as a kid and i was in love with dinosaurs through my childhood. i had to check out the 3d version when i saw it coming out. thankfully it was out on bluray like a week after it was in the theater, so i could watch it in my ht instead of having to go to the theater.

and i gotta say if you are a fan of 3d, this movie is REALLY well done, and i would have NEVER guessed that this movie was a transfer. to me, the best 3d is when you really don't notice it, and not when it's popping out in your face. about 10 minutes in, i kind of forgot it was in 3d until just some really awesome scenes when i had to point it out to my wife how good the 3d looked. the ones that looked the best were the outdoor scenes during the daytime. just looked incredible. and at the end when the t-rex is standing with the sign falling down infront of him, that scene is really cool in 3d as well.

if you are into 3d and like jurassic park, you have no reason to not see this version.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I just watched this last night. I really enjoyed it and would give a solid 9/10 as far as horror movies go. It had a decent plot, great acting (even the kids), and some very creepy moments.

Mama (2013)

Finished this last night (I have a bad habit of starting movies way too late at night, watching the first 30-40 minutes, then bailing on the rest of the movie in favor of sleep).

I guess the plot was OK, for a horror movie; nothing really stood out for me though. It had some cool/creative parts, and some decent scares (but a little light here, IMO). I agree about the acting though, and that the acting helped the movie become more engrossing. Without giving away any spoilers, I will say I liked the ending, and thought it was satisfying.

I didn't realize til after watching it that it was PG-13 (not much gore). I usually won't watch horror movies that aren't rated R because I feel they generally take too many precautions and leave too much out that I'd rather get to see.

6.5-7/10

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
One recent movie was The Iron Lady.

3/10.

It was artistically done and the script had some interesting ideas, but it was basically picking on an old woman for having dementia. Horrendously terrible.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Skyline - 2/10

Interesting visuals near the beginning, then everything just fell to utter crap - acting, dialogue, action scenes, plot, writing, script, directing.. uggh. drek.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Killed some time with Netflix streaming over the weekend

Storage 24 3/10
Crappy British horror movie about people stuck in a storage building with a monster. Couldn't get over the fact the storage building itself had impenetrable security but the lockers themselves might as well not have had doors on them. One guy busts one open by shouldering it and once you were inside they either had drop ceilings so you could just pop over to the next unit or massive vents you could just crawl through. Plus I hated all the characters except for the crazy old dude living in his unit hiding his crap from his x-wife.

Safe 4/10
Jason Statham doing what he does in all his movies punching and shooting people. One of his weaker films and I'm not going to bother going over the plot since who cares.

Man on the Moon 5.5/10
Not a fan of Andy Kauffman and didn't really know much about him. Actors did a really good job and I can see why other people like it but it was just ok for me.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Driving Miss Daisy 7.5/10
Not quite what I was expecting from a "Best Picture," but worth finally watching, none the less. I always thought it was just about Morgan Freeman's character winning over a mean old lady instead of a "growing older together as the world changes" movie. In that respect, it's like Forrest Gump except the people are already old at the start and, thus, it's much harder to relate to. It has a lot less of the cheap sentimentality that Gump has but, in a way, it suffers for it.

FWIW, I watched my LaserDisc copy over S-Video with Dolby Surround over SPDIF. I can't imagine it looked worse on VHS! At least in was wide screen, though not anamorphic. I assume my Panasonic player has a good comb filter for S-Video because it's got the same styling as my "Commercial Use Only" VHS player and Desktop Editor and has nifty functions like dual lasers (avoids flipping the disc). It sounded fine, though it was all out of the center channel (PLII decoder). Hmm... am I doing this right?

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Driving Miss Daisy 7/10
Not quite what I was expecting from a "Best Picture," but worth finally watching, none the less. I always thought it was just about Morgan Freeman's character winning over a mean old lady instead of a a "growing older together as the world changes" movie. It's like Forrest Gump except the people are already old at the start and, thus, it's much harder to relate to. It has a lot less of the cheap sentimentality that Gump has but, in a way, it suffers for it.

FWIW, I watched my LaserDisc copy over S-Video with Dolby Surround over SPDIF. I can't imagine it looked worse on VHS! At least in was wide screen, though not anamorphic. I assume my Panasonic player has a good comb filter for S-Video because it's got the same styling as my "Commercial Use Only" VHS player and Desktop Editor and has nifty functions like dual lasers (avoids flipping the disc). It sounded fine, though it was all out of the center channel (PLII decoder). Hmm... am I doing this right?

Watched it with you and I'd give it 8.5/10. It really is a whole lot better than most movies I've watched.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
One recent movie was The Iron Lady.

3/10.

It was artistically done and the script had some interesting ideas, but it was basically picking on an old woman for having dementia. Horrendously terrible.

I liked it. It gave me insight into the life of a fascinating woman.

Depicting dementia doesn't mean they were "picking on her" for it. You really reached the wrong conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.