NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
What, I would never watch dubbed foreign films. That defeats the whole purpose of appreciating the actor, their tone, performance, and portrayal as director intended.

I think I just need to hunker down and learn Japanese, because I don't care for a lot of professional subtitles either. As I pick up on more and more Japanese, I notice that quite a lot of translations aren't done very literally. Now, that can be understandable if the translation needs to be spruced up to be understood, but in a lot of cases, they just change it for no apparent reason. I've done manga proofreading and quality checking in the past, and unless we wanted to portray an accent, we tried to leave the text as close to the translation as possible. Although, sometimes that isn't that easy when you're working with broken English. :p

[/soapbox]

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I hear ya. Sometimes it's easy to tell that the subtitles aren't exactly what the people are saying. It's often simplified and I wonder what effect it actually has on the movie. It certainly changes the tone and hides imperfect dialogue

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
What, I would never watch dubbed foreign films. That defeats the whole purpose of appreciating the actor, their tone, performance, and portrayal as director intended.

The only rare exceptions are when studios take equal effort as the original movie to dub them properly (i.e. Ghibli's Spirited Away presented by Pixar)

That is perhaps the stupidest thing i have ever heard. Are you also deaf?

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Nah I reviewed it on Letterboxd (I should probably just post the reviews here as well). Gave it a 4.5/5 stars: http://letterboxd.com/keithtalent/film/beasts-of-the-southern-wild/

Very cool link by the way. That is a crazy place; it's nice to see people so ingratiated with a place that they tough it out, no matter how hard it becomes. I don't think I've ever felt that way.

KT
Awesome review!

When I lived down there one of my favorite things to do was go fishing in the Atchafalaya basin. The things I saw!

Watch this movie some day;

In The Electric Mist

It's based on a James Lee Burke novel and set in and around the Atchafalaye. While nowhere near the movie BoTSW is, the setting is vivid. Levon Helm has a small role.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Awesome review!

When I lived down there one of my favorite things to do was go fishing in the Atchafalaya basin. The things I saw!

Watch this movie some day;

In The Electric Mist

It's based on a James Lee Burke novel and set in and around the Atchafalaye. While nowhere near the movie BoTSW is, the setting is vivid. Levon Helm has a small role.

Thanks. Oh yeah, I've had that one on my list for a while. Had no idea it was about the same area. Will hopefully get around to it soon!

it's also 100% truth. dubbed shit sucks.

100% agreed.

KT

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
That is perhaps the stupidest thing i have ever heard. Are you also deaf?

When the actors give emphasis to certain words, when speaking in languages you don't understand, you can't always tell which words they're trying to stress, just by reading the subtitles. That's just one example of how reading what they're saying compromises things compared to being able to understand it as it's spoken, and HOW it's spoken. Not to mention it's distracting, and continually takes your eyes off of what's going on. I still watch movies with subtitles though, just not all too frequently (I really enjoyed "Let the Right One In").

Edit: I just noticed your other post stating that you didn't notice the "dubbed" part of the post you were replying to.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Thanks. Oh yeah, I've had that one on my list for a while. Had no idea it was about the same area. Will hopefully get around to it soon!

100% agreed.

KT

I don't remember much about "Into the Electric Mist" -- except that I did not like it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Hotel Transylvania - Bleh[Bleh Bleh]/10 (better joke than any used in the movie)

It seems like Adam Sandler didn't phone it in for a paycheck like he usually does on everything else he produces but I think that's because he thought this was worth more than it is. It's the same empty-nest "I wanna go see the world but my overprotective parent is overprotective and we have trust issues" plot we've all seen a million times and it's every bit as predictable as you'd expect: Parent goes to extremes to maintain status-quo, things backfire, ultimately unsuccessful cover-up ensues, parent relents and admits being wrong after doing something redeeming to set things right, happy ending.

Even where there was notable talent, no matter how much you "nail it" with a cliche, it's still a cliche. For example, whoever was the character lead for Mavis just did it with the studied and calculated skill to make a believably boring "cute teenage daughter" character. The [one-hundred and eight-]teen gimmick was not enough to justify the cliche in spite of a more interesting character design and motivation.

The over-all character design and animation was inconsistent, That means it wasn't all bad, but many are pointless, unfunny, and,-well: bad. Why is the sponge used to soak up the dog pee even in the movie? Who story-boarded that? Can he tell me why it is anthropomorphized and alive with a face? Is it supposed to be a joke like the stool made of toads? Ugh. :rolleyes: The stand-outs were regrettably minor characters that were few and far between. For example, whoever the lead animator was for the Sandman character did an excellent job. I imagined the the guy probably does his job with the same passion and love for the art as the lead animator for Genie in Disney's Aladdin. Unfortunately he could never similarly impact the over-all quality and scope of the movie without having a major character.

Let's put the blame where it belongs: The wrong people animated the wrong characters because the wrong people produced and directed it. It's schlock compared to anything Disney or Pixar, so it's groan-worthy to see this movie try to forcefully copy Pixar's traditional-style animation during the end credits. It didn't do anything funny or artistic, so I'm pretty sure it was only there because it's Pixar's thing.

As usual, it sounds like the majority of critics and viewers give bad CG movies more credit than they deserve. Like everything from "Antz" to "Happy Feet," this one got an undeserved critical pass-over without the sacrificial lamb. I hope the creators don't let it go to their head.

Last edited:

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Seven Pyschopaths. 3/10. Probably read as a good script, but poorly executed and rife with problems. Kept promising and falling short. Stop, start, stop, start the whole two hours. Hated it.

Last edited:

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Seven Pyschopaths. 8/10
I just watched it over the weekend and loved it but looking through the reviews on netflix the reviews are mostly 5 stars or a 1 star so you will either love it or hate it. Very quirky movie.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Seven Psychopaths - ?
Many of scenes are fine on their own, but as a whole it doesnt seem to work. I think the movie is too self aware. If they could have found a better way to tie in all the scenes I think it would have been great. I'm not sure how to rate it...I could see my self watching it again, but I dont think I would ever really be satisfied with it. Even though I thought it ended badly, it still had lots of awesome sprinkled in as it was failing. Definitely good enough to rent, but I guess I dont feel much about it one way or the other.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
it's also 100% truth. dubbed shit sucks.

I prefer dubbed movies if they are big action flicks like a lot of the martial arts ones are as usually they don't have that much talking but also you miss so much of the action trying to read when they are fighting at the same time.

Especially as so many have such little text, they must pay per font size or something, if they are subtitled it's even harder on most tv's.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Seven Psychopaths was awesome

I watched season 1 of Sherlock this weekend. The first "episode" was really great. The second were good, but slightly less than the first. It ended, oddly. I guess I have to watch the next set

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Finally got around to watching My Cousin Vinny -- 8/10

Thought it was pretty funny. Marisa Tomei did an excellent job, so much so that I wish I could've taped her damn mouth shut. Never been out east, and if that's how everyone ACTUALLY talks out there, I can't say I'll be in a hurry to check it out.

Just about freakin lost it when the public defender started his whole stuttering thing with the opening statement. Caught me by surprise.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Finally got around to watching My Cousin Vinny -- 8/10

Thought it was pretty funny. Marisa Tomei did an excellent job, so much so that I wish I could've taped her damn mouth shut. Never been out east, and if that's how everyone ACTUALLY talks out there, I can't say I'll be in a hurry to check it out.

Just about freakin lost it when the public defender started his whole stuttering thing with the opening statement. Caught me by surprise.

Definitely a good movie :thumbup:

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
I tried watching Seven Psychopaths, while hammered, and just turned it off after about 30 minutes. It had a Stranger Than Fiction vibe to it, but failed at pulling it off. Maybe I'll check it out some other time when I have more patience.

It has so many great actors, but the characters they portray are annoying as fuck. Woody was OK though.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Seven Psychopaths - ?
Many of scenes are fine on their own, but as a whole it doesnt seem to work. I think the movie is too self aware. If they could have found a better way to tie in all the scenes I think it would have been great. I'm not sure how to rate it...I could see my self watching it again, but I dont think I would ever really be satisfied with it. Even though I thought it ended badly, it still had lots of awesome sprinkled in as it was failing. Definitely good enough to rent, but I guess I dont feel much about it one way or the other.

I loved it. Part Snatch, part Get Shorty while emulating Tarantino (tongue-in-cheek). It was supposed to be a black comedy, a satire. It was supposed to be absurdist. I personally think it was one of Sam Rockwell's best performances. Farrell and Walken were both good in it as well. But I can see why some people wouldn't like it.

It did start to lose my attention at the beginning of the desert scenes, but but regained it with Rockwell's
peyote-induced description of the ultimate final shootout
and I enjoyed the stories about the
Quaker psychopath and the Vietnamese psychopath
. And it manages to make a statement about violence, but I believe that even that statement was tongue-in-cheek, making a statement about movies that make a statement about violence.

And if none of that makes you want to watch it, do it for the scene with
Abbie Cornish in the cemetery

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I loved Seven Psychopaths too. Walken and Rockwell were both awesome.

KT

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Ted - 4/10

I was pretty disappointed with it. Except for chuckles here and there it was not nearly as funny as I would have expected. The story was straight forward and predictable. Ted's "wild" side was surprisingly tame except for some parts that felt forced. I really wanted to like the movie but just ended up with a big meh at the end. I guess if you are a Flash Gordon fan (I'm not) you might get more out of it. It was little more than an average Seth Macfarlane family guy episode morphed into a 2 hour movie with an interesting premise that falls flat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.