NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
Serpico - 8-10

Good cop fights police corruption in New York,based on a real story.
Really enjoyed it,nothing over the top.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The Green Hornet - 6/10

I kind of liked it watching it... like a B-movie. Seems like they were trying to make a joke movie, and the best part of it was Christopher Waltz from Inglorious Bastards. Seth Rogen was fu*king annoying as hell. Kato I could stand. Wasn't until I finished watching it that I realized how irritating much of it was.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Dredd - 8.5/10

I watched this with low expectations and ended up loving it. If you're looking for a strong storyline, look elsewhere. If you want highly stylized violence, this is a masterpiece. Just what you would want a live-action graphic novel to look like.

I watched the Stallone version's trailer afterwards and it is so cringe-worthy.

Oct 25, 2006
Dredd - 8.5/10

I watched this with low expectations and ended up loving it. If you're looking for a strong storyline, look elsewhere. If you want highly stylized violence, this is a masterpiece. Just what you would want a live-action graphic novel to look like.

I watched the Stallone version's trailer afterwards and it is so cringe-worthy.

I really did like Dredd, however, I still felt it really didn't capture the Dredd universe. The Stallone version showed a ton of stuff outside the judges, with a lot more emphasis on the Judge system, and had shit like the long walk which was awesome, and more of outside life.

Dredd had a bit of this, but didn't REALLY show it. It seemed more like an extension of some detroit areainstead of a overcrowded megacity.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Rubber ?/10

This is one of those films that thinks it's smarter than it actually is. The premise is unique: a killer tire goes on a rampage and comes to life. Technically it's a good film. It's well shot if a tad simplistic. Traditional special effects. Story wise, there's a lot they could have done with the premise but the route they took was... unfortunate.

It's supposed to be a horror parody. Though it's fairly light on both horror and parody. It takes one joke, that the film was made for "no reason", and runs with it. Plot? A bunch of people are gathered to watch a film about a killer tire. Except it's more like a live-action play which can't end until all the audience is dead. So does the tire kill the audience? Nope. You only see it kill two people in the entire film. The forth wall joke is taken to its limits and draws the film out. Characters are dull and bland, the monster isn't that scary, and the film literally has no purpose. It's not particularly ironic or witty, it just is. So I guess Quentin Dupieux accomplished what he set out to do.

I think they were trying to channel so-bad-it's-good movies like The Room, Plan 9, Showgirls, etc. They work well because they're beautiful messes. There's nothing redeeming about them. I think Rubber was trying for that, but perhaps trying too hard. It's a technically good film. Well shot, well edited, well scored, the traditional special effects look good. It was a fun concept that became a dull movie.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Grown Ups - 1/10

Was not funny at all, you have got to try pretty hard to make Chris Rock completely unfunny, boring and forgettable in a movie. Terrible movie

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Slightly different here...

Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day -- 8.0/10

Concert and bluray audio was 10/10 easily, but the editing pretty much blew chunks. The cuts between band members were spaced 3-4 seconds apart at most, and it did this weird 70s/80s bordered full-screen filter thing sometimes. I don't get what they were going for. Anyway, concert was excellent, Jimmy Page still rocks those guitars, can't wait to watch it again.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Dredd - 8/10 (for an action flick)

Good special effects, interesting characters. Definitely worth watching; enjoyable film.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
John Carter - 5/10

My brother was raving about how much he liked this movie so I watched it last night. I never read the book so I went in blind and I was not impressed. The main character is just dull and pretty unemotional. I cared less and less about him as the movie went on. The story is pretty standard except for the whole immortal beings and Mars element. They did not do a good job of explaining what their purpose in the plot was or anything about their technology. The CGI was good but don't expect anything very graphic in the fights. Overall it is not bad if you go in expecting just an average CGI filled action flick, outside of that it is forgettable.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
All thius Dredd talk. OK, going to try to see it tonight. Not even on Blue Ray yet but people seem to have it in their hands. Interesting.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Jack Frost, 1998: 6/10

big Michael Keaton fan, but didn't really dig his character here. mostly fluff, but kids enjoyed it a bit

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
All thius Dredd talk. OK, going to try to see it tonight. Not even on Blue Ray yet but people seem to have it in their hands. Interesting.

I watched it tonight, that movie is SOLID! They could have did some additional judge dredd stuff outside of the main plot but I am not complaining, the movie is so much better than the old one

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The Green Hornet - 6/10

I kind of liked it watching it... like a B-movie. Seems like they were trying to make a joke movie, and the best part of it was Christopher Waltz from Inglorious Bastards. Seth Rogen was fu*king annoying as hell. Kato I could stand. Wasn't until I finished watching it that I realized how irritating much of it was.

I realized that the movie was extremely annoying halfway into it. I don't know how I forced myself to finish it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Killer Joe....

I can't give this a rating other than "WTF?!?!?"

Summary of the movie: Texas trailer trash does trailer trash things with Mathew McConaughey being tossed into the mix as a cool, casual psychopath killer/cop.

It's a movie of extremes. REAL extremes. The acting performances by McConaughey and Juno Temple were incredible. Temple in particular steals almost any scene she is in. Gershon is asked to do one of the most humiliating things you will ever see in one of the most uncomfortable scenes invovling a chicken drumstick.

Some reviewers have called this a "dark comedy" but I didn't really find much humor outside of the absurdity of how dumb a collection of people can really be and how many bad decisions they can make due to their collective inneptness.

It's a movie of some incredible performances mixed in with some incredibly uncomfortable violence & sexual violence and tossed into a shake and bag bag and dumped into a deep fryer.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Killer Joe....

I can't give this a rating other than "WTF?!?!?"

Summary of the movie: Texas trailer trash does trailer trash things with Mathew McConaughey being tossed into the mix as a cool, casual psychopath killer/cop.

It's a movie of extremes. REAL extremes. The acting performances by McConaughey and Juno Temple were incredible. Temple in particular steals almost any scene she is in. Gershon is asked to do one of the most humiliating things you will ever see in one of the most uncomfortable scenes invovling a chicken drumstick.

Some reviewers have called this a "dark comedy" but I didn't really find much humor outside of the absurdity of how dumb a collection of people can really be and how many bad decisions they can make due to their collective inneptness.

It's a movie of some incredible performances mixed in with some incredibly uncomfortable violence & sexual violence and tossed into a shake and bag bag and dumped into a deep fryer.

I laughed my ass off. Probably my third or fourth favourite film of the year. :awe:

KT

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I guess I know enough trailer trash that this movie was more reality than fiction, sadly.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
The Harmonists - She doesn't look Druish7/10

Solid, if lighthearted, in an odd way (in that it doesn't really go into any emotional issues of the subjects--stereotypically German, I guess), biopic of a German singing group from the 20s and 30s. Standard biopic format and plot, fantastic use of original recordings (I wish American blues and folk from the 30s and 40s had been archived that well!), and damn those Nazis! It's an interesting time frame, because it ends well before WWII. The thing that really got me, though, was actually the lighting, which should have varied much more. All the lighting, in every scene, was like broad daylight. Dive bar: perfect white light, and plenty of it; evening in the city: perfect white light, and plenty of it (NYC a decade ago wasn't that bright or white, and I'm supposed to believe this is ~1930?); on stage, with 30s lamp tech: perfect white light; dressing room, with electric lighting: perfect white light. Not an in-your-face thing, but it made it feel like play, an I just couldn't bring myself to get too drawn in.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
The Dark Knight Rises - 4/10

Watched it on Blue Ray last night with the family. Meh. A really good example of a movie that would have been fine and fun at under two hours.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I thought this movie was great too.

Dude, when you say something like that you have to realize that it won't say in your post what movie you're talking about. If a person wants to find out he/she has to search on some of the text you quoted. Not netiquette OK. :whiste: Yeah, I'm feeling pissy, I won't get into it, but I'm right.

Last edited:

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
The Dark Knight Rises - 7.5/10

I went into it expecting the worst. Everyone poo-pooed the film to death in my mind so I pretty much thought it was going to be shitsville. But I was invested so why not. Not that bad really. Bane sounds like Paul Harvey. It was freaking long though.
Fuck me when catwoman came in and killed Bane in one shot I wanted to turn the movie off and rage a little. Seriously, 2 hours of the movie with Batman getting his ass handed to him by Bane, and she walks in and in 3 seconds of film he's done.

TED 7/10

Another movie that everyone seemed to hate. Yeah there were some really lame parts and it was definitely predictable. But it had equally funny parts. Plus I think I'd watch pretty much anything with Mila Kunis in it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.