NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 117 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2004
Poolhall Junkies - 4/10 - Started off inteesting but just dragged out over the 90 minutes of it's existance. Some scenes occurred and you didn't even know where they were or why. The conclusion was the best example
The antagonist of the film was in the pool halll with the protagonist and some threats were made. Some characters from earlier i nteh movie show up and save the protagonists saying they are here to settle a score. What score? The two people have no known outstanding issues.
Pretty much a movie for competitive billiard players due to cameos by people like Mike Massy.

The good news is that Christopher Walken was in it. And it was generally well cast. And as a bonus, Ricky Shroader was in it! Apparently the actor actually goes by his SIlver Spoons character name for his movie career. His name: Richard Bartlett "Ricky" Schroder, Jr.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Bourne Legacy 7/10 - It was an interesting story and I felt Jeremy Renner played the part very well. Edward Norton's part was minimal and unexciting, but it's Edward Norton so I can't fault him too much.

Resident Evil - Retribution 3/10 - All relationships in the movie seemed stange and forced. The movie itself made very little sense. Not Milla's finest hour to be sure. It's midly entertaining for the action sequences.

Expendables 2 - 7/10 - I am a sucker for action movies and when it packs as many big names as this one does it is hard to go wrong. It was an entertaining movie. A little over the top in some parts (Arnold/Bruce Willis in a smart car), but fun to watch. It made me sad to see Stallone so old and he didn't take the best care of himself, but his role was still appreciated.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Thanks!! I hope to hear more when you're able to finish it :) We had a blast making it!

I finally found the time to finish The Ecstasy of Order. 7/10

I liked it a lot. I found myself rooting for you and Dana. Her last minute qualifying game was intense. Jonas appeared to be the one who could handle the noise/crowd better than anyone and it paid off in the end.

I tried to look at the current Twin Galaxies standings after the movie but it looks like they are down for a complete rebuild. Any idea when they're going to be back up?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The Raven - 6/10 - The show was entertaining, but I felt that something was wrong. Either the writing or John Cusack is miscast in this show. I know the little quips and one liners that he rattles off so well in the show are supposed to be funny, but the entire thing comes off a bit flat, I would say depressing even.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Dark Star is hilarious, it's one of those movies that's so bad it's funny, combined with some genuinely funny plot points. The bomb is awesome.

"Notice how the following deleted scenes neither add nor detract from the film." LMFAO

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Amazing Spiderman - 7.5/10 - Better than I expected. Was caught up in the movie so I did not care about the CGI that I previously hated.
Bourne Legacy - 7/10 - Also better than expected, probably not as good as the other Bournes. I do like Renner though.
Life of Pi - 8/10 - Loved the plot/ending, did not read the book. It's castaway with a tiger.
Total Recall - 7.5/10 - never saw the original, was pleasantly surprised.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
The Raven - 6/10 - The show was entertaining, but I felt that something was wrong. Either the writing or John Cusack is miscast in this show. I know the little quips and one liners that he rattles off so well in the show are supposed to be funny, but the entire thing comes off a bit flat, I would say depressing even.

7/10 for me. I am a big Poe fan, and I liked the idea of the movie, I think I'm just over the whole crime drama thing. It was a solid movie, but I fell asleep the first time I watched it..lol Good ending saves it from a 5/10.

Amazing Spiderman - 8/10 - Emma Stone is always going to gain you 3 points in my book, minimum. I like that they rebooted the series with his origin story again. Garfield was a much better Spiderman than Toby was. What has hurt every Spiderman for since they used up Goblin & Doc Oc is that I really don't like the bad guys they pick. Sandman sucked, so did Liz in this one. Venom should have been awesome but fell flat and felt like a side story in that movie.

Last edited:

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Videodrome (David Cronenberg, 1983) 2/10

Don't waste your time. R.Ebert declared "VIDEODROME, whatever its qualities, has got to be one of the least entertaining movies ever made." No argument here. Only 89 minutes long, it felt like 3+ hours to me, couldn't wait for the end. Ebert also said "ending is bleak enough that when the screen fades to black it's a relief." My exact thought at the time.

You're smoking crack. Perhaps you will like Star Trek IV though. I heard that If you get it at Best Buy before Christmas, it comes with a free coloring book.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Re: amazing spiderman

Did I totally get Spiderman lore wrong? I had to throw away everything I knew about spiderman after watching that movie. I mean he's not supposed to reveal to everyone and his mom who he is...right?!?!

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Moonrise Kingdom -- 8.5/10

If I had to describe it in one word: Quirky.

Edward Norton was hilarious, whether it was intentional or not. The kid actors were either awesome or incredibly weird IRL, I haven't decided. Love how they did the credits, was kind of retro. Had a couple "I'm going to hell for laughing at this" moments...

I thought I was going to hate it since it was more my wife's type of movie than mine, but I ended up liking it a lot.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

Did I totally get Spiderman lore wrong? I had to throw away everything I knew about spiderman after watching that movie. I mean he's not supposed to reveal to everyone and his mom who he is...right?!?!

That was the biggest thing that bothered me in it also.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Pssh, didn't you get the memo!? It was the "untold story!" :p

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
ATTENTION!!!

I dont know if anybody gives a darn but just recently Netflix added a bunch of Disney classics, which is quite surprising cuz they normally dont like giving things away for free.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Men In Black 3 - 7.5/10
A lot of people seemed down on this, but I didnt really see anything wrong with it.
I thought it might have been better if Agent J died in the past, instead of his father. I can see K turning cold after that, but not necessarily J's father. Or make K Agent J's father. I dunno, it just needed something better, especially considering the build up.
But as is, it was definitely watchable. Probably like this best out of the 3 movies so far.

The Bourne Legacy - 8/10
Pretty good, although it seems like it just ends, even though it was over 2 hours long. And every time I saw the doctor, I was thinking she looked like Rachel Weisz, just younger and thinner. Turns out it was her after all. Anyways, this seemed more like the first act of next movie as opposed to a standalone movie, but what was in the movie was well done.
If there was a confrontation with Ed Norton's character or if the newer model assassin has some speaking lines or something for some sort of closure, this would have been a 9.

Ted - 8/10
Basically an extended episode of Family Guy, but it was funny enough.
I cant believe Nora Jones would agree to what she did. Thought she was classier than that.
I liked this more than I thought I would.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
And every time I saw the doctor, I was thinking she looked like Rachel Weisz, just younger and thinner.

Rachel-Weisz--96703.jpg

She's quite the chameleon.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Hotel Rwanda. 9/10
powerful, emotional movie. i remember it like yesterday when it all went down between the hutus and tutsis. humans suck.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Unthinkable - 8/10

I can't recommend this movie, it was pretty tough to watch. But good enough I watched the whole thing. Do as I say, not as I do. :D

I would have rated it higher, but I hate when the movie ends before it should.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I finally found the time to finish The Ecstasy of Order. 7/10

I liked it a lot. I found myself rooting for you and Dana. Her last minute qualifying game was intense. Jonas appeared to be the one who could handle the noise/crowd better than anyone and it paid off in the end.

I tried to look at the current Twin Galaxies standings after the movie but it looks like they are down for a complete rebuild. Any idea when they're going to be back up?

Ah cool :)

Yeah Dana was cool stuff! Jonas is a boss lol :) A side note that didn't get into the film, I didn't want to compete, I was wanting to just be there as an old timer to speak about the new gen of Tetris greats, but at the last minute they insisted that I get up there. I was hoping not to do too well or too terribly, so I think I succeeded in that :D

Twin Galaxies ran into organizational/funding problems, so they have been sold to a new outfit who is in the midst of organizing everything all new from the ground up before the new site launches. They were supposed to be up before the end of 2012, but a project of that magnitude (not just the database for the scores, but the assignment of judges, financial structure, partnering with other sites/advertisers, and so forth) takes some time. I'm personally thinking possibly late spring for full operational status.

A note on the Tengen Tetris that I lackadaisically faffed about with in the film : Robin could have easily gotten a higher score as well. It's fundamentally a contest against boredom. It never gets fast enough to be a real challenge to even moderately decent players, so the sky is the limit with score, depending on how much time you have. Ben Mullen put up an ~8 million or so score before getting bored last year, and recently Bo Steil put up something like 11 or 12 million (about 4 hours IIRC). I think the more exciting targets in Classic Tetris will be official Gameboy maxout (a couple of people have done this, difficult due to short playing area and near-instant locktime, but doable), and SNES maxout (extrordinarily difficult, but possible in my estimation). I can already do the Gameboy maxout, and am targeting SNES maxout. The WR is somewhere in the high 600k range I think, I've done 862k as my best so far, it really wears on you. The drop speed is as fast as 29+ on NES, but with a larger entry delay that lets you prime the location of the drop better. You have to tap like a maniac for a longer period of time. It really hurts that the scoring stops growing at level 9, unlike NES where it continues to rise, making maxouts feasible there (as 29+ on NES is only briefly survivable in the best circumstances).

Thanks for watching and reviewing! I hope KT has a chance to watch it soon! :)

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Unthinkable - 8/10

I can't recommend this movie, it was pretty tough to watch. But good enough I watched the whole thing. Do as I say, not as I do. :D

I would have rated it higher, but I hate when the movie ends before it should.

I really liked this movie. It IS a tough watch, not because it's slow or hard to follow, but the subject matter is just..."unthinkable". I don't feel it ended early, I think it was on purpose because the whole point of the movie is -- does this type of interrogation actually work?". I think they left it pretty clear that they think it doesn't. I can't say much more w/o giving away many omg moments. BTW, this stars Sam Jackson doing his normal Sam Jackson stuff, which works really well for the subject matter, but its over the top even for him.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I wanna see Three Stooges, cuz it has Kate Upton.

I do not wanna see Three Stooges, cuz it has Snooki the Whore.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Moonrise Kingdom -- 8.5/10

If I had to describe it in one word: Quirky.

Edward Norton was hilarious, whether it was intentional or not. The kid actors were either awesome or incredibly weird IRL, I haven't decided. Love how they did the credits, was kind of retro. Had a couple "I'm going to hell for laughing at this" moments...

I thought I was going to hate it since it was more my wife's type of movie than mine, but I ended up liking it a lot.

I had a feeling that 'quirkiness' reminded me of Royal Tenanbaums. What do you know? Same director. He also did that Aquatic Life of Dr Zizu or something.

All 3 feature Bill Murray.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Ted 6.5/10: As someone here already said it, it's pretty much a Family Guy movie. Now that's fine and dandy, but I thought it was actually Inferior to FG humor. It wasn't edgy nor particularly funny. The storyline was a cliche chick flick plot about choosing your best friend or your love. If the story wasn't supposed to be compelling, then at least the humor should've done the job. It did neither.

It wasn't particularly good or bad. It's forgettable, and has zero replay value (compared to other 'stupid' humor movies like Austin Powers or Harold and Kumar).

Status
Not open for further replies.