NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 116 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Well, the cop said the dad died doing what JT was doing. I thought the cop was going to turn out to be the dad. If you wanted to stretch it a bit, you could say in a way JT got to know his dad through his robin hood activities. Maybe the disc extras this is expanded a bit, but yeah, this was kinda thin. It was mainly used as a way to make the cop a bad guy. Well, not bad, but clearly the antagonist, especially when you consider JT actually did nothing wrong. Funny that they go to the ends of the earth to get JT for receiving time legitimately, but those f'in minute men are going around killing people, and they walk around with impunity. I guess if he would have stayed in the ghetto they wouldnt have went after him.

Funny, at one point, I also thought the Timekeeper was going to turn out to be his dad, but I dismissed that well before the end.

As for what his dad did, I caught the Robin Hood aspect, but still, it was a good plot line that was not developed or, IMO, used well at all.

MotionMan

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Triangle - 7/10

This is a good movie i never heard of. I would have liked to know more about the events of this seemingly horror genre but sometimes the explanation is lame so I will not fault it. This is not really a horror movie but tries to come across as one. I would recommend it.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
The Guilt Trip
With Barbra Striesand and Seth Rogen
Barbra was whiney and bitchy throughout the whole movie. If you are in need of seeing a mother and son fight, bitch, and whine for 2 hours, go see this movie. Not really funny at all.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
DJANGO UNCHAINED - 9.49/10.0

(Note: Saw this in a real, legit theater. Final release.)

Keeping in mind that Inglorious Bastards was a 10.0/10.0 for me, I had high expectations for the return of Christoph Waltz in another Quentin Tarantino film and I was not disappointed. From the Tarantino-style "gore" to Samuel L. Jackson to the humor to the soundtrack...Django Unchained easily fits in my TOP 5 films of 2012. I found myself laughing and clapping many times. Highly recommended!

A few additional impressions will be listed below but with spoiler tags:

-Underneath the surface, I believe Tarantino offers us a commentary on both contemporary and historical white-black and black-black relations. In regards to the latter, think "oreo" vs. not. This is especially emphasized in the relationship between the characters played by Foxx and Jackson.
-While Bastards was a fun revenge epic pitting a group of Jewish gorilla fighters against Hitler himself, Django takes equal liberty in pitting the black man against his slave owner.
-With his typical Tarantino "gore" he offers audiences perhaps one of the most brutal, realistic and sad depiction of mid-19th Century southern slavery ever put on film.
-More subtly, Tarantino also offers audiences a historical and contemporary commentary on "civilized" European versus "uncivilized" American attitudes.
-Tarantino officially has a fetish for the German language.
-Both the first and second "big house" gun battles are some of the best western-style gun battles ever put on film. The rap music certainly made them feel more bad ass.
-Samuel L. Jackson plays a really good villain.
-Leonardo DiCaprio also plays a really good villain; his seething monologue during the "three dimples" speech is perhaps nomination worthy.
-Tarantino once again proves he can push "celluloid" faster than anyone; Django is only 12 minutes longer than Bastards (165 vs. 153) but both feel like much faster films.
-The soundtrack is brilliant. Hit after hit of scene-appropriate music.

Last edited:

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
My top films of 2012 so far:

1. Intouchables (US release: 2012; EU release: 2011)
2. Django Unchained
3. Lincoln
4. The Sessions
5. Act of Valor
6. Argo
7. The Avengers

To be seen but anticipated to make the list:

The Hobbit
Zero Dark Thirty
Les Misérables

Note: Life of Pi deserves mention for its amazing digital cinematography.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Open Range 7/10. I like this movie, mostly for one of the best gun fight scenes towards the end of the movie. I can watch that scene over and over again.

MotionMan

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Before there was Alien, there was...
Dark Star - 6.5/10

So you're out in deep space with a few people that get on your nerves, to blow stuff up to help make way for future colonization. Due to the long-term nature of the mission, and budget cuts, your ship is a deteriorating jalopy. Not only that, but you just catastrophically lost your TP supply. Then, things start to really go downhill.

It's far from a great movie, but it is good, so long as you can force your suspension of disbelief past the crazy low budget. But, with Carpenter involved, that's easier than it otherwise would be.

Last edited:

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Before there was Alien, there was...
Dark Star - 6.5/10

So you're out in deep space with a few people that get on your nerves, to blow stuff up to help make way for future colonization. Due to the long-term nature of the mission, and budget cuts, your ship is a deteriorating jalopy. Not only that, but you just catastrophically lost your TP supply. Then, things start to really go downhill.

It's far from a great movie, but it is good, so long as you can force your suspension of disbelief past the crazy low budget. But, with carpenter involved, that's easier than it otherwise would be.

Dark Star is definitely a guilty pleasure of a movie. Not a great movie, but hard to turn off.

MotionMan

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Resident Evil: Retribution -WTF??/10 - Seriously..wtf. I mean, I'm pretty laid back about movies, but this is just...garbage. I actually sorta liked the first one, and the 3rd one, but the 4th was bad, and this was...how do you say it, even worse! The entire time I'm just saying to myself, wtf is the point of this movie, it makes 0 sense and really accomplishes NOTHING in the scheme of the movie franchise. How are these not going direct to DVD?

I believe Wes said that as long as people keep watching them, they will keep making them. Are you terribly surprised? I saw Afterlife, and that movie barely advanced the plot at all, and from what I've seen/heard, Retribution is even slower.

I watched it last night. I was mostly disappointed with the very weak handling of the B story about his dad. It seemed like his dad was some sort of motivation for JT's actions. So, I thought there would be a Top Gun-like reveal about the dad, but, in the end, we learned nothing.

Yeah, that was one of the complaints that I had about the movie as well. Overall, there were just a few things they could have done to make the movie more interesting, but I still thought it was decent enough to at least watch once.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Resident Evil: Retribution -WTF??/10 - Seriously..wtf. I mean, I'm pretty laid back about movies, but this is just...garbage. I actually sorta liked the first one, and the 3rd one, but the 4th was bad, and this was...how do you say it, even worse! The entire time I'm just saying to myself, wtf is the point of this movie, it makes 0 sense and really accomplishes NOTHING in the scheme of the movie franchise. How are these not going direct to DVD?

Because suckers like you keep paying for it? lol

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Dark Star is definitely a guilty pleasure of a movie. Not a great movie, but hard to turn off.

MotionMan

Dark Star is hilarious, it's one of those movies that's so bad it's funny, combined with some genuinely funny plot points. The bomb is awesome.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010

Keeping in mind that Inglorious Bastards was a 10.0/10.0 for me, I had high expectations for the return of Christoph Waltz in another Quentin Tarantino film and I was not disappointed. From the Tarantino-style "gore" to Samuel L. Jackson to the humor to the soundtrack...Django Unchained easily fits in my TOP 5 films of 2012. I found myself laughing and clapping many times. Highly recommended!

-Underneath the surface, I believe Tarantino offers us a commentary on both contemporary and historical white-black and black-black relations. In regards to the latter, think "oreo" vs. not. This is especially emphasized in the relationship between the characters played by Foxx and Jackson.
-While Bastards was a fun revenge epic pitting a group of Jewish gorilla fighters against Hitler himself, Django takes equal liberty in pitting the black man against his slave owner.
-With his typical Tarantino "gore" he offers audiences perhaps one of the most brutal, realistic and sad depiction of mid-19th Century southern slavery ever put on film.
-More subtly, Tarantino also offers audiences a historical and contemporary commentary on "civilized" European versus "uncivilized" American attitudes.
-Tarantino officially has a fetish for the German language.
-Both the first and second "big house" gun battles are some of the best western-style gun battles ever put on film. The rap music certainly made them feel more bad ass.
-Samuel L. Jackson plays a really good villain.
-Leonardo DiCaprio also plays a really good villain; his seething monologue during the "three dimples" speech is perhaps nomination worthy.
-Tarantino once again proves he can push "celluloid" faster than anyone; Django is only 12 minutes longer than Bastards (165 vs. 153) but both feel like much faster films.
-The soundtrack is brilliant. Hit after hit of scene-appropriate music.

Awesome! Can't wait for it.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I rarely make it to the theater anymore, so everything I see is on Netflix streaming. That said, my movie list is usually 2-3 months out of date. So recently I've seen:

The Artist (9/10)
Hugo (9/10)

both great movies, probably extensively reviewed by others in this thread

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
The Dark Knight Rises - 8.5/10

I liked it. Aside from the time dilation/pacing issues, not a lot of the plot holes really bugged me. Did people forget that superhero movies are at least somewhat fantastical?

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Flight 7.5/10 - The first 30-minutes of this movie is edge of your seat OMG! What just happened!

Epic!

Story is excellent, acting is great. Denzel outdid himself, shines in his portrayal of Whip. John Goodman - too funny!

Watching the first 30 minutes on the big-screen - so amazing.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
MIB3 5/10 I liked the human element they gave it but the movie it self just didn't work that well. It lost the humor.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Then why'd you give it a 4 of 10? That how IGN/the game industry reviews games.

Mostly for the action sequences / special effects, and I felt the casting was decent. For what it apparently intended to be, I feel it was shot pretty well. However, I just think with fewer cheesy lines / other various script touchups, and if I could get over the whole "I never thought of aliens when hearing 'battleship'" bit, it could have been a better movie.

Batman: The Dark Knight Rises -- 6.5/10
I was somewhat disappointed in this movie. Whoever thought up having Bane's voice sound sound like it did should never have input on another movie ever again. I had no problem with Tom Hardy playing Bane, but that voice. Argh! Here's this big buff dude, and yeah, the mask probably alters his voice a bit, but he sounded like a 6 year old child-turned-robot who would never hurt a soul -- that is, when you could understand what was coming out of his mouth.

Anne Hathaway was very very much mis-cast for this role. Some of her lines clearly intended to be funny, weren't - they could have been, if delivered properly from somebody else. Catwoman is supposed to be sexy, at least I always thought so, and AH isn't. Don't get me wrong, I generally like her as an actress, but she is not and never will be Catwoman. I would have given the nod to Charlize Theron or Summer Glau if either was interested, we know both are capable. If not, try Mila Kunis (not her usual role as of late, but she did well in Book of Eli) or maybe even Rooney Mara. EDIT: After seeing Scarlett Johannson as Black Widow in the Avengers, she could have done it also, though I'm not sure if her Marvel contract / scheduling would have allowed it.

TLDR: That being said, aside from the first 30 minutes or so, I thought the rest of the movie was decent, just not up to Batman standards set by Batman Begins and TDK. Obviously standards were pretty high, so I'm not surprised, TDKR was mostly what I was expecting, but I was hoping for more. Sounds/music were very good.

People Like Us -- 9.0/10
Chris Pine is really showing up to work lately. He's been great in everything I've watched him in. Didn't like Elizabeth Banks in Man on a Ledge, but she did AWESOME in this movie. Really like the dynamics between the characters -- guy, girlfriend, mother, everything. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011

<snip>

Awesome, can't wait to see it. Don't go to the theater often, usually just wait for release, but definitely will be going to see this.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Speed Grapher (single-season anime) - 4/10

Production value was great, and the soundtrack was done well throughout (the intro is indeed a good indicator). The premise was one that could have led to a great series, if it had focused more on the workings of the dystopia...but by episode 10, it had clearly become just another Guyver/Zetman. Yawn, sigh, "next!"

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
The Man from Nowhere - 9/10

Good stuff for anyone who enjoys some good action without minding a bit of the predictable plot elements.

Watched it last night, giving it a 9/10 as well. As you already mentioned, it mirrors both 'Leon' and 'Taken', and I rank them very high on my all time greats list. I love finding these gems that nobody has ever heard of before. :thumbsup:

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - 7/10

Better than I expected. Story was good. Didn't care much for Garfield's acting though. Emma Stone wasn't bad as Gwen Stacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.