NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 114 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hey, I posted another thread on this, but figured it'd go better here. A documentary film I was in has been released on Hulu now, I would love to get some feedback on it from the AT community :)

It's a Tetris documentary focusing on the search for the world's best classic Tetris players. It has everything from the creator of Tetris to many of the top players, and it was an absolute blast to be a part of.

http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/387835

I'm Thor in the film btw :)

If you like gaming documentaries, give it a shot!

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Doomsday - 7.5/10 - Very very entertaining. It was on at 1am and I stayed up to 4am to finish watching it. It's a British "end of the world" type movie like 28 Weeks later, but it has a mix of Mad Max and some other stuff in it. Rhona Mitra (kate Beckinsale's twin) stars, production quality is good. Don't look for anything deep, just enjoy the ride.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Just watched the first episode of Falling Skies from eighteen months ago. >_> It's tv so I didn't have much hope for it to be great, but I give it a solid 6.5/10.

Post-apocalypse stuff is pretty cool to me.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Hey, I posted another thread on this, but figured it'd go better here. A documentary film I was in has been released on Hulu now, I would love to get some feedback on it from the AT community :)

It's a Tetris documentary focusing on the search for the world's best classic Tetris players. It has everything from the creator of Tetris to many of the top players, and it was an absolute blast to be a part of.

http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/387835

I'm Thor in the film btw :)

If you like gaming documentaries, give it a shot!

Will watch. I know someone personally who should have been in it but she wasn't discovered. Also, my brother, Ichinisan, is probably the world's best Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack) player.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
Battleship -- 4/10
The writer of this script should almost be embarrassed - it was really bad. I don't understand why they went the aliens route with this. That being said, the special effects were pretty cool, lots and lots of explosions. It was weird seeing Alexander Skarsgard outside of True Blood, but I think he did pretty well. Rihanna should just stick to singing. I wasn't expecting much, and it was entertaining enough. Don't think I'd ever watch it again.

What route could they have gone with?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
What route could they have gone with?

I think much of the hate revolves simply around the obvious Hasbro tie in that people can't get past. If they'd have went with any other name, it would have just been considered another B-grade alien invasion movie. To be honest, I really liked it much more than I thought I would.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Will watch. I know someone personally who should have been in it but she wasn't discovered. Also, my brother, Ichinisan, is probably the world's best Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack) player.

Niice!

The Tetris company was involved, and helped get the annual CWTC (Classic World Tetris Championship) started in 2010. There have been 3 events so far, 2013 will either be in a Vegas gaming show or perhaps at Portland Retro Gaming Expo once more. We have people coming from as far away as Canada and New York to the west coast. There's a big US TGM player (one of the few Western GM players that puts up death-mode/secret grade/etc times worthy of the Japanese and French masters) that plays both new and old school. The guys behind the tourney certainly aren't opposed to expanding the games played. In '10 and '11, I know for sure we had the new Tetris games from Xbox/PS3 represented in both head to head and team vs team.

We'd love to hear from more hidden masters for sure.

kache

Nov 10, 2012
Margin Call

I didn't understand, so no rating. Need to watch it again sooner or later.

Signs. 6/10. Does it's job, but it's kinda ridiculous.

Sep 29, 2004
Re-Animator - A cheesy movie from the 80s. It's apparently got cult status. There is some gore but not to bad. Basically about a doctor/scientist that figures out a way to bring the dead back to life. It's interesting for some reason that I can not quite pinpoint.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I finally sat down and watched something, it's a rarity for me. The Chernobyl diaries....4/10
It did remind me of the Stalker games though, except the game storyline was 10x's better than this which is pathetic actually.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think much of the hate revolves simply around the obvious Hasbro tie in that people can't get past. If they'd have went with any other name, it would have just been considered another B-grade alien invasion movie. To be honest, I really liked it much more than I thought I would.

It was a movie based on a board game...

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Yeah. That's my opinion on the film as well. It was definitely an admirable attempt, and I'd probably recommend giving it a try if you enjoy Sci-Fi as it's definitely interesting from a Sci-Fi approach.

Or better yet, hope for a remake that gives this movie the proper budget it deserves. The concept of the movie is great, execution not great.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Brothers - 6.5/10

I haven't seen the original, but I understand that it's pretty close to it. The ending didn't feel right, really felt like they dragged it out too much for the drama. Maybe something didn't translate right from the Danish.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, just watched Top Secret for the first time in many years. Its not funny. Its especially bad compared to Naked Gun and Airplane!.

Most of the subtle background jokes are lame, except for maybe the titty poster. All the built up jokes like skeet surfin are especially horrible.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Pianist: 7.5/10

I feel bad that I did not like this movie more than I should. It has got everything a great masterpiece should have, but somehow I was not moved and somehow it didn't feel right. I think I should give it an other go sometime later.
I really dig The Pianist, for me easily 9/10. Glad you realize how great it is even if it didn't work for you. I have rewatched it, the rewatch was also a great experience. The movie's 10 years old, my last viewing in 2005. I think I'll see it again soon. My notes from the first viewing:
- - - -
Saw a few days ago. Great movie. My impression was that it was spot on - just what I thought of what happened back then, there. Of course, I don't have a clear picture in my mind, but I did a lot of reading about it at one point, and watching the movie I NEVER got the idea that what I was seeing was at variance with what I knew to be the truth. Last night I watched extra feature stuff on the DVD (all of it), and Roman (and others) said again and again and again that truth, honesty, accuracy were absolutely paramount in their minds and actions as they crafted this movie. It was based on Spilman's book of the same name, and Roman himself had gone through the holocaust experience although in his case it was in Krakow, not Warsaw. Several of the things in the movie were Roman's experience, for instance when his father was slapped by a Nazi officer for not walking in the gutter, previous to the Warsaw ghetto being established.

I have tremendous respect for the way they made this movie. Usually, when I see "historical" movies, I develop a tremendous skepticism that what I am seeing has much to do with the historical event !!! This did not happen AT ALL, when I saw "The Pianist." As well, Brody's performance was tremendous, especially when he was homeless in the shattered ghetto, I thought. I was curious to see the features to find out how he got that edge. He said that for weeks he had little contact with others, maybe a few primary relationships in his life. He had no contact with other actors for a stretch of over 2 weeks.
- - - -

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Videodrome (David Cronenberg, 1983) 2/10

Don't waste your time. R.Ebert declared "VIDEODROME, whatever its qualities, has got to be one of the least entertaining movies ever made." No argument here. Only 89 minutes long, it felt like 3+ hours to me, couldn't wait for the end. Ebert also said "ending is bleak enough that when the screen fades to black it's a relief." My exact thought at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.