NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 113 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Magic mike - 7.7/10

Really quite a nice movie if you don't mind male ass.

Olivia Munn topless to even it out.

dirksquarejaw

Nov 9, 2012
I watched bloopers in theaters and I would only rate it maybe a 5. I had such high hopes for the movie and it never really achieved that.
New breaking dawn 6/10 fight scene was good-went with wife.
Wreck it Ralph 9/10 solid movie.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Yesterday my GF and I did an all nighter and watched many, many movies(Mostly horror and related to funerals).

Departures: 7/10

It was a good movie but too predictable for my tastes, my GF liked it more than me. I felt the ending was the biggest let down.. I would have given this an 8 had the movie stopped a 15 mins before the actual ending.

This is a story of a musician who gets laid off and then starts working as a mortician. The acting is pretty fantastic and extremely natural, there is a sense of beauty and they did a pretty good job considering the whole movie is about funerals.

The Pianist: 7.5/10

I feel bad that I did not like this movie more than I should. It has got everything a great masterpiece should have, but somehow I was not moved and somehow it didn't feel right. I think I should give it an other go sometime later.

World's Greatest Dad: 9/10

I am pretty sure I rated this movie before and liked this even more the second time I watched. One of Robin Williams' best performance to date and a damn good dark humor movie.

Bernie: 8.5/10

A fantastic movie, pretty novel screenplay and direction. A few might have issues with the pacing, but Jack Black's acting makes up for everything. This is not his best performance, that goes to School of Rock, but is pretty fucking brilliant. Yet an other gem of a comedy/drama.

Ip Man 2: 4/10

I watched this movie right after the original, and honestly it sucked. I don't understand why so many people liked it and what I missed. The fights are good, especially the one with the fat, old guy.. other than that it felt like a standard action movie with an unoriginal plot, in fact it felt more like a Bollywood masala flick minus the songs/dance sequences. Disappointing.

The Artist: 9/10

Loved it, and loved every part of it.

I have a question though: Was the aspect ratio 4:3 deliberate choice or is it just in the Netflix version?

Death at a Funeral: 8/10

Enjoyed it. I am a fan of british dark/slap stick humor.. so I may be a bit biased. The movie is weird with many, many twists. The casting was great and they actually felt like a real family. Enjoyed it.

I need to go out, but will be back with rest of the movies.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
A history of violence -6/10

There is something in Cronenberg movies which doesn`t quite add up,like disparate scenes were added together clumsily,or you can "see" the montage,I think the guy would have been a better theater director.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Blue Submarine #6 6/10 Eco terrorist tries to change the world by messing with the magnetic field of Earth. And creating marine life based on marine animals.

It's a bit disjointed and waxes on about how humans suck. Sounds like a retelling of Island of Dr. Moreau to me.

The Dark Knight Rises 5/10 What the hell is that...

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Machete - fun/10

Immaculate casting*, colorful scenery, cheap tricks, cartoony violence, and allusions to almost every *sploitation subgenre but blacksploitation...how could anyone not love this? The commercial with Tom Savini,
the guy rushing in with an ice cream cart after all the hopping Mad max mobiles
, and Cheech...well, just being Cheech Marin directed by Robert Rodriguez, had me almost rolling on the floor. Then, De Niro and Johnson doing their thing kept the suspense and cheese levels high all the way through. Even Segal was simply great in this movie, giving it that perfect finishing touch. I could have lived without the fake grain effect, though.

I might just have to break my theater boycott for Machete Kills.

* One sad point, though, was Lindsey Lohan. She was cast as a drug-addled rich 20-something, was, and looks like total shit because of it. Not like they should have chosen somebody else, especially for an all-star movie, but damn
, she looked like she could have stayed in the back of that hearse for real

Teacher's Pet/Devil in the Flesh 2 - 2/10

I didn't even know there was a sequel, until I was already at home, removing all the annoying plastic wrap, yesterday (it was in one of those collections of low-rate movies, on the cheap for Black Friday). I'm not sure if it's quite as bad as Poison Ivy 3 or Wild Things 2 (which, IMO, is sacrilege on the level of The Crow sequels), but it's right on down there. The first one was made well, and is an excellent example of a, "good bad movie," but this one is just a plain old bad movie.

P.S.

Pathology - 6/10

But, not a disappointing 6, in the least. Michael Weston pulls off a great crazy, and Milo Ventimiglia also does, with the director actually making really good use of what is normally his sort of annoying emo-ness (though the movie probably could have been better with another lead--it seemed to me like a perfect fit for someone more like a young Kiefer Sutherland). The ending is kind of cheap and cheesy, but a perfect fit, and it doesn't draw itself out. While Alyssa Milano is used as a name to draw attention to the flick, she's a sideline mcguffin, more than anything else.

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Life of Pi -- 9.5/10

The woman I saw it with insisted on the 3D version, but I personally don't think you'll miss a damn thing seeing it in 2D.

She'd even read the book some years ago. I haven't. The movie was more than complete in itself for me. Excellent all around. :thumbsup:

Nov 7, 2000
Skyfall - 7.8/10 - Didnt feel like 143 runtime. Typical superhero/superaction flaws and plotholes. Still enjoyable. Saw on full IMAX screen, impressive.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
The Prestige - 8/10 One of those movies I had not saw and had on the DVR the past 6-months. Excellent, loved the whole premise and the how the movie was divided up into 3-parts and then blended into little chunks. Period cinematography was excellent.

2012 - 4/10 The Arc/Ship premise was very cool. Woody Harrelson stole the movie. The CGI was over the top and laughable in places. The I'm all for a good popcorn flick but at 2.5hrs and the ridiculously over the top "John Cusack survived by the hair on his chin" scene that was repeated about 18X I grew tired and bored.

Grown Ups - 3/10 I'm a big Rob Schneider fan since his days on SNL & the TV show Men Behaving Badly in '96 and the woman wanted to watch some comedy that night. Everything was a schlock fest of unfunniness. I'm used to the usual Sanlder crpa but this one was terrible. I applaud Sandler for paying out his homies and keeping em off the street and employed - but give them some material they can work with, the writing was just terrible.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Life of Pi -- 9.5/10

The woman I saw it with insisted on the 3D version, but I personally don't think you'll miss a damn thing seeing it in 2D.

She'd even read the book some years ago. I haven't. The movie was more than complete in itself for me. Excellent all around. :thumbsup:

Another thumbs up. Not seen anything remotely gorgeous since Avatar came out. No comparisons though. Well, James Cameron had to think up of a planet. Ang Lee did it with earth. Movies like these make me glad i'm a cinema lover.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
In Time - 7/10

Has elements of Logans Run, Gattaca, Robin Hood and Bonnie and Clyde. Stars Justine Timberlake. You would think that would mean it would suck, but I had no expectations coming in and it turned out to be a solid movie. Its not as shallow as it seems, and most people can relate to it in one way or another.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
In Time - 7/10

Has elements of Logans Run, Gattaca, Robin Hood and Bonnie and Clyde. Stars Justine Timberlake. You would think that would mean it would suck, but I had no expectations coming in and it turned out to be a solid movie. Its not as shallow as it seems, and most people can relate to it in one way or another.

This movie had a lot more potential than came to fruition. The concept is great, I really like it. However, I absolutely could not get over the method used to transfer time from one person to another -- just hold hands? Come on now. I don't have any suggestions because I'm not the most creative person ever, but I wish they'd come up with something a little more...difficult, maybe? Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but I thought with some more creativity it could have been really good.

Battleship -- 4/10
The writer of this script should almost be embarrassed - it was really bad. I don't understand why they went the aliens route with this. That being said, the special effects were pretty cool, lots and lots of explosions. It was weird seeing Alexander Skarsgard outside of True Blood, but I think he did pretty well. Rihanna should just stick to singing. I wasn't expecting much, and it was entertaining enough. Don't think I'd ever watch it again.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
This movie had a lot more potential than came to fruition. The concept is great, I really like it. However, I absolutely could not get over the method used to transfer time from one person to another -- just hold hands? Come on now. I don't have any suggestions because I'm not the most creative person ever, but I wish they'd come up with something a little more...difficult, maybe? Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but I thought with some more creativity it could have been really good.

Yeah, it was odd, and for such a valuable currency it had essentially no security. But I moved past it, as the movie wouldnt be any different if they used a cell phone or debit card.

I had more of an issue with the security cameras. They apparently only see Timberlake, but nothing before or after. But I guess then there wouldnt have been much of a movie if they did. Still, I thought it was enjoyable enough.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah, it was odd, and for such a valuable currency it had essentially no security. But I moved past it, as the movie wouldnt be any different if they used a cell phone or debit card.

I had more of an issue with the security cameras. They apparently only see Timberlake, but nothing before or after. But I guess then there wouldnt have been much of a movie if they did. Still, I thought it was enjoyable enough.

I could not wrap my head around the geography of the film. There were the different zones and the first time he leaves to the fancy zone, it's this epic journey, then later it's like going to the corner store. The concept was interesting enough I guess, but the execution, in my opinion, was a complete and utter failure.

KT

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The concept was interesting enough I guess, but the execution, in my opinion, was a complete and utter failure.

Yeah. That's my opinion on the film as well. It was definitely an admirable attempt, and I'd probably recommend giving it a try if you enjoy Sci-Fi as it's definitely interesting from a Sci-Fi approach.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Life of Pi -- 9.5/10

i want to see this bad. would it bore the kids?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Life of Pi -- 9.5/10

I had heard the underwater scenes were quite awesome in 3D, but I'm glad to hear you think it's fine in 2D because I abhor 3D.

I really enjoyed the book, but the trailers for the film have looked awful; glad to hear it turned out.

Skyfall - 7.8/10 - Didnt feel like 143 runtime. Typical superhero/superaction flaws and plotholes. Still enjoyable. Saw on full IMAX screen, impressive.

I felt every single minute of that runtime.

The Prestige - 8/10 One of those movies I had not saw and had on the DVR the past 6-months. Excellent, loved the whole premise and the how the movie was divided up into 3-parts and then blended into little chunks. Period cinematography was excellent.

I recently re-watched this and I think it may be my second favourite Nolan film. It's so well done and fun to watch!

KT

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Grabbers - 8/10 - A UK/Irish sci-fi/comedy alien monster movie that takes place in Ireland. From IMDB: When an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by bloodsucking aliens, the heroes discover that getting drunk is the only way to survive.

Fun little movie with some humorous moments.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Grabbers - 8/10 - A UK/Irish sci-fi/comedy alien monster movie that takes place in Ireland. From IMDB: When an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by bloodsucking aliens, the heroes discover that getting drunk is the only way to survive.

Fun little movie with some humorous moments.

Yeah, not bad. I liked the old man; I did want more aliens though.

KT

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I could not wrap my head around the geography of the film. There were the different zones and the first time he leaves to the fancy zone, it's this epic journey, then later it's like going to the corner store. The concept was interesting enough I guess, but the execution, in my opinion, was a complete and utter failure.

KT

My understanding is that it cost much more money to go to the rich zone, and it had more effect for a poor person to go there for the first time. Going back to the ghetto either is the reverse in cost, or possibly costs nothing at all. But once you have time, it shouldnt be any different than paying a simple toll. This could have been expanded further, but for the purposes of the movie I think it was only important for the first time.

What I think was missing was a group of people who didnt have the timer. Like the sewer people in Demolition Man. Basically a resistance group who live naturally. I dont see why anyone would initially have agreed to take part in this system. I guess they kinda explained it in the movie in that everyone thinks they will be the immortal ones. Also, if they have the tech to encode those timers in their DNA, they should have people who could hack it.

I think the movie had some interesting ideas, and it does what it set it out to well enough. Not epic, but not a waste of time either. Timberlakes relationship with Olivia Wilde was really well done, as well as the guy who started it all. They could have made the same movie without any sci-fi elements, and I think it would still be enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.