NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 112 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2005
Sound of My Voice - 4/10 - Drama/Mystery about a couple of writers who infiltrate a cult run by a woman who lives in a basement claiming to be from the future to reveal it as a scam.

This movie starts out with quite some promise as you learn more about the cult, the woman and its followers and that the woman is planning some kind of "mission" for her followers. What could have been a great movie if they had explored it more falls flat because just when things begin to twist and turn and get interesting, it ends. I mean, it just ends! There's no closure at all, it's not even really a cliffhanger or a "you decide" ending. It just stops and credits roll at the most odd point (no climax). Severe letdown. :colbert:

i'd give it a 7/10...

8/10 if he thought to wrap it in a condom and stick it up his ass.
9/10 if his gf did it.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Code of Silence (1985). 2/10

Bad story. Bad fight sequences. Bad audio (MONO!). The bad guy wasn't even that mean. I only gave it a 2 because a young Molly Hagan is in it. Looking so fine...

Sep 29, 2004
Eyeborgs - 7/10 - This movie was surprisingly good. Especially the first half. I'd actually give hte first half a 9/10 and the second half a 5/10. It looks like crap in Netflix where I found it but gave it a shot anyway. I was pleasently surprised. Basic premise is (you learn about this right up front) that after the freedom of information act was passed, another law was passed called the freedom of observation act. The premise of htat is that all private and public cameras are to be networked together in order to be able to observe citizens. I don't want ot say how it plays out because of plot twists. But I did think of it as a sort of blend between
Temrniator and Minority Report
but with a lower budget.

Again, the first half was very good. Too bad the second half didn't keep up.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Eyeborgs - 7/10 - This movie was surprisingly good. Especially the first half. I'd actually give hte first half a 9/10 and the second half a 5/10. It looks like crap in Netflix where I found it but gave it a shot anyway. I was pleasently surprised. Basic premise is (you learn about this right up front) that after the freedom of information act was passed, another law was passed called the freedom of observation act. The premise of htat is that all private and public cameras are to be networked together in order to be able to observe citizens. I don't want ot say how it plays out because of plot twists. But I did think of it as a sort of blend between
Temrniator and Minority Report
but with a lower budget.

Again, the first half was very good. Too bad the second half didn't keep up.
Umm...about that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_Information_Act_(United_States)

It was originally signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson, despite his misgivings,[2] on July 4, 1966 as 5 U.S.C. § 552 and went into effect the following year.[3]

So it's an alternate-reality plot with an unlikely premise about networked video devices in the 60s?

Oct 25, 2006
Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. 6/10

You know, I actually didn't hate it THAT much. I was pretty drunk so I might have a different view of the movie, but while parts of the movie simply didn't make sense and the characters had zip development. The fights weren't bad and seeing abe lincoln all grown up wielding axes are great.

Also, Civil War against vampires. Freaking love it.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Resident Evil: Afterlife - 7/10
This is what you expect, a bad movie that is somehow still entertaining. But in the beginning i did notice Alice was wearing high heels and fighting and in at least two shots she no longer has high heels on. Then when it is done and she is walking normally in heels you can tell she does not normally wear heels.

An American Crime - 7/10
Based on a true crime in the 1960's where circus workers pay a women to watch two of their daughters and the woman punishes one of the girls instead of admitting that her own kids are bad. They torture her. Stars Ellen Page. Not a happy movie but not as bad as Anderson from the Film Vault let me to believe.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Dreamworks has plenty of good shit too.
But distinctly different from and generally inferior to Pixar in the animation genre.

Absolutely.

I check a lot of movies out from my local library. Ones done by Dreamworks I usually like a lot! Of course, I only put a hold on movies that get my attention for some reason, usually a review I read in the paper, maybe some comments I hear on the radio or from someone I know, maybe posts in this thread. I also own hundreds of DVDs, a few Blu-rays, recently. The library doesn't have any Blu-ray.

I watch the Oscars, and take notes. I used to hang out a lot at Rotten Tomatoes Forums, don't these days. I got a lot of ideas there. I have the final version of Cinemania, I often check that out, but that was from 1997, too bad Microsoft stopped producing yearly updates. I have only so much time, so I don't try just anything. I'll sometimes stop a movie if I'm not getting into it. I tried Dogtooth the other day (positive mentions here, recently) and hit eject before I got more than 5 minutes into it. It was the first scene... I was WTF, this is absolute garbage, I'm outta here. I don't know if I've ever bailed so early on a movie, there was no doubt in my mind.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
How many DVDs were there? Mine has 2. I wouldn't be surprised if the single-disc releases are just disc 1.
I got There Will Be Blood from my local library. It was just one disk, and IIRC no extras to speak of. I still have it, it's due Saturday.

GWestphal

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2009
New Twilight: 3/10
Man With the Iron Fists: 1/10 (only because there are hot chicks, otherwise -1/10)

Sep 29, 2004

SuRgEoN

Oct 20, 1999
Wreck it Ralph 9.0 / 10.0
Lawless 9.0 / 10.0
The Odd Life of Timothy Green 7.5 / 10.
Seal Team Six: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden 9.5 / 10.0

orenero

Apr 12, 2005
A History of Violence 8.5/10

Saw for first time a couple nights ago, watched all the extra stuff too except for the director's commentary and the trailers, so you know I got into it. I'm really a fan of Viggo Mortenson all of a sudden, saw him in Eastern Promises a couple weeks ago. Getting to be a Cronenberg fan.
- - - -
There Will Be Blood 8/10

Also saw for first time last week. Also a really well made movie. There were no extras on the DVD...

+1 on there will be blood!!! I drink the blood of lamb from bandy's tract!!!! There's a whole ocean of OIL and no one can get at it but me!!! = )

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Behind the Green Door starring Marilyn Chambers,,, 10/10

Christie Canyon does Paul Bunyon ... 10/10

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Looper and End Of Watch are both unmissable movies. Batman TDKR is hugely disappointing though.

I watched both Looper and End of Watch this week.

Looper was very good. 7.5/10

End of Watch was phenomenal. Very powerful movie. I liked it as much as I liked the director's previous movie Harsh Times. I don't know what it is about David Ayer's directing style, but I always feel like I was punched in the gut...in a good way. 9/10

Batman: TDKR was OK. Definitely the weakest of the trilogy.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Red Dawn
4/10

The only reason we went to see this was for nostalgia purposes. Yeah I know that makes us part of the problem when it comes to these remakes. Anyway, I remember watching the original when I was a kid and found it to be pretty scary. The difference then was that we really thought we could be invaded by the Russians at any minute. That was the Cold War in the early 80s to a kid. I actually laughed a little in this one when I realized they were being invaded by North Korea (it least in the NW USA).

And of course that's one of the reasons this movie isn't nearly as effective. I'm not saying the original was a great film, it wasn't by any stretch, but this one just seemed lacking. As a friend pointed out to me, the original also gave a sense of how long they had been living in the mountains by pointing out the season changes. In this one you sort of feel like they're just hiding out for a few weeks.

The only other issue I had with the film was the last 1/3 where all of a sudden it turns into some covert action CoD-esque film that just doesn't fit with everything else that's going on.

Ultimately it's not an awful movie if you're going in to watch a mindless action flick.

Status
Not open for further replies.