NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 111 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Sound of My Voice - 4/10 - Drama/Mystery about a couple of writers who infiltrate a cult run by a woman who lives in a basement claiming to be from the future to reveal it as a scam.

This movie starts out with quite some promise as you learn more about the cult, the woman and its followers and that the woman is planning some kind of "mission" for her followers. What could have been a great movie if they had explored it more falls flat because just when things begin to twist and turn and get interesting, it ends. I mean, it just ends! There's no closure at all, it's not even really a cliffhanger or a "you decide" ending. It just stops and credits roll at the most odd point (no climax). Severe letdown. :colbert:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Wreck it Ralph 8/10 Saw this today with my kid. Pixar is back! I didn't know anything about this and I was sucked in completely.

I don't see how anyone could have thought this was a Pixar movie. Still, I'm sure it's much better than Brave.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
We Bought a Zoo.

Fairly hokey movie overall, but the plot lines between the father and kids really got to me for some reason. Movies rarely get that kind of reaction from me. So I am giving it a 7.5/10.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Did Brave suck?

I recently saw it. It wasnt bad, but not all that memorable. I was expecting the princess to fight a badass bear, like a cross between the girl from Hunger Games or Legalos from LOTR vs that bear in The Edge, but it was something else. Sorta. If they had more scenes like the climax, it would have been epic. Not to sound sexist, but you can tell it was written and directed by a woman. It looks like the merger with Disney killed Pixar. Whats kinda sad is on the disc they have a teaser trailer for Planes. A spinoff from the Cars movies. No one wants that sh1t...where the hell is The Incredibles 2?

Brave - 6.5 .5 is for the climax scene, otherwise a 6. 3D was pretty good, and animation was top notch.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I recently saw it. It wasnt bad, but not all that memorable. I was expecting the princess to fight a badass bear, like a cross between the girl from Hunger Games or Legalos from LOTR vs that bear in The Edge, but it was something else. Sorta. If they had more scenes like the climax, it would have been epic. Not to sound sexist, but you can tell it was written and directed by a woman. It looks like the merger with Disney killed Pixar. Whats kinda sad is on the disc they have a teaser trailer for Planes. A spinoff from the Cars movies. No one wants that sh1t...where the hell is The Incredibles 2?

Brave - 6.5 .5 is for the climax scene, otherwise a 6. 3D was pretty good, and animation was top notch.
No, no, no. Leave the IP of The Incredibles alone.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Chocolate (Fury) 8/10

Synopsis from Netflix

Acclaimed Thai action director Prachya Pinkaew helms this martial arts drama, which follows Zen (JeeJa Yanin), a young autistic woman who discovers that she has the uncanny ability to absorb precision fighting skills just by watching martial arts movies. When her cancer-ridden mother's creditors come calling, Zen attempts to settle the debts by standing up to a hardnosed gang of criminals who have wrongfully swindled money from her family.

Really good martial art movie

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
We Bought a Zoo.

Fairly hokey movie overall, but the plot lines between the father and kids really got to me for some reason. Movies rarely get that kind of reaction from me. So I am giving it a 7.5/10.

I was pleasantly surprised with this movie. My family watched it a few months ago, and the kids and wife really enjoyed it too. Great family film, and I thought it was really well done for what it is. I can't remember if I ever reviewed it here, but I'd give it a 8/10 for a family movie night movie.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Flight
5/10

They got the movie-making right but the story-telling was all wrong.

The crash and the maneuver had plenty of tension and emotion but when the movie is over you realize that it isn't about that and it could have been any airline crash/incident without this maneuver that set the same events in motion. It's just in there because of the Hudson River incident.

The movie seems to be more than product placement for Alcoholics Anonymous, almost as if it was made by them as "AA the Movie" except that there's a scene where cocaine saves the day and they never act like it was part of the problem. That's another issue: conflicting messages.

The main character doesn't seem believable. No matter how long he got away with his bad habits by lying, holding alcohol in the car and being seen with it would have ended everything and I'm skeptical that he could do things like that with such regularity and never even be seen by the media or a law enforcement officer or anything.

The crash doesn't really make sense. Their explanation of what caused it explains what caused them to use control of one flap and enter into a dive but it doesn't seem to explain why they lost ALL control and had to go through a bunch of stuff I don't understand to get some semblance of control back. Also, why are some of the controls they needed out of reach for the pilots? Is that an accurate representation of the cockpit?

For him to act surprised that all this would happen after a crash is also strange. He should have been wondering how he could behave that way in such an industry and get away with it for years when his coworkers could clearly tell. What did he think would happen when an incident out of his control happened? Not very realistic in that sense.
Fixed a few things. Also, I wanted to point out that there seem to be a couple callbacks to John Goodman and Denzel Washington's "Fallen" and Goodman's "The Big Lebowski." The soundtrack is right out of "Fallen" and hearing Goodman rant about "amateurs" got a chuckle out of me ("Take the ringer."/"Forget about the fuckin' toe!").

Last edited:

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Was watching the Cable Guy on TV. Reminded me of how much it sucks. Worst Jim Carrey movie. 1/10

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
ARGO - 8.5/10 - Fantastic storytelling, Great pacing. Alan Arkin deserves a best supporting actor nominee.

The jokes were hilarious, the acting was excellent, the cinematography was very good. The period of 1979/1980 was spot on. Very realistic.

The 2hr movie had time flying.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
ARGO - 8.5/10 - Fantastic storytelling, Great pacing. Alan Arkin deserves a best supporting actor nominee.

The jokes were hilarious, the acting was excellent, the cinematography was very good. The period of 1979/1980 was spot on. Very realistic.

The 2hr movie had time flying.

I am completely surprised at how well this movie did at the box office.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Went to go see the new Twilight movie with a girl I'm seeing. She of course loves them, I've never seen any of them. All I have to say is that a werewolf falls in love with an unborn baby. That should tell you enough about the movies right there.

nace186

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2006
Wild China - 6 episode documentary - 6.5/10

It's not bad. But there are few things I don't like. First, there's are multiple repeats, and not consistent. For example, Panda was featured into 3 different episodes. the whole documentary can really be condense to 3 episodes. Second, they tend to glance over a lot but at the same time the overview become repetitive. Another is that they tend to cover things that I don't think is important, for example, I think each episode at least have a documentary about one species monkeys.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A History of Violence 8.5/10

Saw for first time a couple nights ago, watched all the extra stuff too except for the director's commentary and the trailers, so you know I got into it. I'm really a fan of Viggo Mortenson all of a sudden, saw him in Eastern Promises a couple weeks ago. Getting to be a Cronenberg fan.
- - - -
There Will Be Blood 8/10

Also saw for first time last week. Also a really well made movie. There were no extras on the DVD...

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
A History of Violence 8.5/10

Saw for first time a couple nights ago, watched all the extra stuff too except for the director's commentary and the trailers, so you know I got into it. I'm really a fan of Viggo Mortenson all of a sudden, saw him in Eastern Promises a couple weeks ago. Getting to be a Cronenberg fan.
- - - -
There Will Be Blood 8/10

Also saw for first time last week. Also a really well made movie. There were no extras on the DVD...

Great films! Eastern Promises was also quite good, hopefully we see another film with Viggo and Cronenberg working together.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Jiro Dreams of Sushi 8/10

A very nice documentary on an 85-year-old who is regarded as the world's finest Sushi master. It focuses on his philosophy and work ethic, and the close-knit, extremely hard working group that all works together like a symphony to create their edible art. It's good enough that I think it doesn't even matter if you like Sushi or not, it's just an interesting watch, and it's quite short at ~122 minutes. There is some profound humor and humanity to be seen here, and the presentation is quite subtle.

Ecstasy of Order : 9/10

An incredible documentary focusing on one gaming champion and one filmmaker searching for the greatest classic Tetris players alive, eventually culminating in a championship in Los Angeles. As any good documentary is, the real story is the people, the personalities, and the history of the subject is handled extremely well. Unexpected humor and gravitas come through and make this story shine. It should be on Netflix at some point soon, though right now it's available on Amazon, DVD, and a handful of other sites, recommended!

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I've always thought that Pixar movies are pretty distinctive, and generally quite superior in the animation genre.

Search "Pixar" on YouTube and look at some of the results.

*facepalm*

It used to be WAY worse.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
There Will Be Blood 8/10

How many DVDs were there? Mine has 2. I wouldn't be surprised if the single-disc releases are just disc 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.