NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 108 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Cashback - 7/10 - a romantic comedy. Kind of odd though given all the nudity in it, I don't think it is date night material. I thought it was funny. The comedy was much like teenage/college level humor.

The comedy didnt even really start until the 2nd half, after most of the nudity was done.
But it was interesting anyway.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The comedy didnt even really start until the 2nd half, after most of the nudity was done.
But it was interesting anyway.

I was quite fond of Cashback. I would give it a 8.5/10. I don't think it is a comedy as much as a character study, the humor is just a consequence of how strange night workers tend to be. The first half of the movie moves slow, because that is the feeling they are trying to create, that slow endless time at the middle of the night when it is just you and the other strange night people. It does a very good job of catching that feeling of late night shift work, as well as the strangeness of being one of the few people awake in a large city.

I compare it to Wristcutters: A Love Story, a show I would give a 9/10. It is another story about people that don't fit in, although for different reasons the Cashback.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Artist” was very good, however, it seemed to be more style over substance. That said, the cast succeeded 100% at doing the style perfectly, something that hasn’t really happened in around 70-80 years. (as the style of filmmaking went out of style in the 1930s.)
My Rating: 9/10

“Sound of Noise” was an interesting movie. Very well made, quite musical, and doesn’t all fit together or make sense, but I don’t think it’s supposed to.
My Rating: 8/10

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies … had some funny gags, but, it was nothing like ‘Airplane’, though it did try. The scenes with the chickens were hilarious.
My Rating: 6/10

I wanted some corny b movie to laugh at, “Beyond the Time Barrier” was indeed a corny bad b movie. But, it mostly bored me.
My Rating: 2/10

“The Front Line” was an awesome Korean War drama. It was harsh, and it showed just how futile and pointless wars can be.
My Rating: 8/10

“Boy Wonder” was ok, A teenager who goes postal on people who mostly deserve it… a la “punisher.” It was well made, but didn’t really stand out.

“The Veteran” was ok, violent revenge movie, story was actually pretty bad, but, the filmmaking and acting were still decently good.

“Chaplin: The Movie” was a sort of Biography & homage to the great Charlie Chaplin, done as a movie, rather than a documentary. Based on his autobiography. but told as a movie rather than documentary. It was quite good … Has some big names, Robert Downey Jr, Dan Aykroyd, Anthony Hopkins, Marisa Tomei (back when she was younger as this was made in 1992
My Rating 8/10

“Sin Nombre” was fvcking insane. Very very highly recommended human drama.
Essentially, about gangs and life in the slums in 3rd world Honduras. It goes into an attempt at escaping to make a better life.
My Rating 8/10

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1379182/parentalguide

DvKPw.gif

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Rising Sun: Christian Hosoi 8/10 - Documentary about who could have been Tony Hawk but drugs got in the way. Goes through the life of Christian Hosoi in chronological order. Kinda slow at the beginning but it just gets better and better as the story progresses. In the end, i was glad that I sat through it. About 15 minutes in, I almost gave up. Give it a shot. watch atleast half. You might be glad you did. it ends somewhat abruptly but i think this where the story really ends.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Nice find !! I was rocking a Hosoi T-shirt back in my early teen years. Never knew what happened to him to just fall off the face of the Earth but now I do. Sad story, happy ending. Added to my queue.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Eastern Promises (David Cronenberg, 2007) 8.5/10
--------------------------------------------------------------
Just saw it.

It's dark, foreboding, fascinating, venal, yes. Prostitution, drugs, violence, dangerous drunkeness tied with violence, the Russian underground portrayed as every bit as vicious as a Scorsese mafia film. Throw in the very real symbolism of tattoos associated with Russian prisons and you have a very creepy thing going on. It's far from perfect, but it does keep you interested. Excellent casting, very good script. I kept the English subtitles on most of the time (the accents and my substandard hearing). It has easily one of the all time greatest fight scenes.

Oh, and if you haven't seen enough horror films lately, see Polanski's Repulsion! One of the all time greats.
- - - -
“Promise Yourself

To be so strong that nothing
can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness, and prosperity
to every person you meet.

To make all your friends feel
that there is something in them
To look at the sunny side of everything
and make your optimism come true.

To think only the best, to work only for the best,
and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others
as you are about your own.

To forget the mistakes of the past
and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times
and give every living creature you meet a smile.

To give so much time to the improvement of yourself
that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear,
and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

To think well of yourself and to proclaim this fact to the world,
not in loud words but great deeds.
To live in faith that the whole world is on your side
so long as you are true to the best that is in you.”
― Christian D. Larson, Your Forces and How to Use Them

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Nice find !! I was rocking a Hosoi T-shirt back in my early teen years. Never knew what happened to him to just fall off the face of the Earth but now I do. Sad story, happy ending. Added to my queue.

Thanks,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Anyone interested in X Games type stuff would probably enjoy this documentary.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Still no power or work, but at least a theater was finally open. Saw that and Argo yesterday. They couldn't be more different

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
Rosemary`s baby
WTF-10
Good movie, it`s just that Polanski pulls a David Lynch moment at the end.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Rosemary`s baby
WTF-10
Good movie, it`s just that Polanski pulls a David Lynch moment at the end.

Polanski is an odd fellow. When he was 50 he was fucking little girls in the ass.
To this day he still doesnt understand why we are so upset about it.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. - 3/10

I wasn't expecting Tromeo and Juliet (if you like Romeo and Juliet and/or Hamlet and/or Macbeth, and intentionally bad movies, and haven't seen it, you're missing out!), but...meh. There were some neat one-liners and gags, but I had much higher hopes, given the absurdity of the premise.

Vampire's Kiss - 5/10

It didn't quite know whether to be a romance, drama, horror, or comedy, but didn't pull off the mix, and Nicolas Cage seemed out of place through every part of the movie that wasn't in an office (and not the good kind of out of place, like in Wild at Heart, either). Not a bad movie to pass the time, but decidedly average.

Volver - 7/10

Sentimental: check.
Sappy/emotional, in a relationship-centered way: check.
Overly colorful: check.
But, even so, I really enjoyed it. It's easily the least dark and twisted movie I've seen by Pedro Almodovar, and it doesn't leave me going o_O, at the end (Talk to Her, FI). If you haven't seen any others, do realize that it's like saying <X> was the least surreal David Lynch movie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.