NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 104 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Three movies over the weekend.

1. Resident Evil Retribution 3D = 7/10 - same old stuffs as previous ones. If you watched others in the series, you would see very similar characters/plot/action again. I am pretty sure there will be sequences from the ending.

2. Bourne Legacy = 6/10 - not as good as previous ones. The fights were not as intense and not as frequent. I did LOL @ the traffic sequence and the factory in Philippines, not realistic at all.

3. Life of Tim Green - 7/10 - family theme feel good movie with a little twist, not bad but not great.

Last edited:

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
Dredd - 7/10

No fooling around, Dredd piles up the body count and is straight forward action with some interesting special effects.

The Dictator - 2/10

This unfunny turd of a movie totally sucked.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
V/H/S 8/10 - Overall a great, fun horror movie that harkens back to the anthology style of story telling of the 80s movies like Creepshow and Twilight Zone. I'm generally not a fan of the modern horror movies because most are just gratuitous gore going for shock value, but I was thoroughly entertained with this one. I gave the movie 8 because of weak acting by some of the actors, and I really hate found footage style of movies, but this one kept me enthralled.

I'm glad to see that quality horror movies are still coming out. This year we got Cabin in the Woods and now VHS. If you guys are going to have any sort of Halloween watch party, make sure VHS is on the top of the list.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
V/H/S 8/10 - Overall a great, fun horror movie that harkens back to the anthology style of story telling of the 80s movies like Creepshow and Twilight Zone. I'm generally not a fan of the modern horror movies because most are just gratuitous gore going for shock value, but I was thoroughly entertained with this one. I gave the movie 8 because of weak acting by some of the actors, and I really hate found footage style of movies, but this one kept me enthralled.

I'm glad to see that quality horror movies are still coming out. This year we got Cabin in the Woods and now VHS. If you guys are going to have any sort of Halloween watch party, make sure VHS is on the top of the list.

Good to hear somehow i found the trailer for this on youtube and it looks like it could be best horror movie of the year.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
No, they arent. Not like this. Not even close. I've watched tons of sitcoms from I Love Lucy through My Name is Earl. This is by far the worst I've ever seen. All they do in any episode is keep going over the same fights, AND resolving them. How many fucking times can you resolve the exact same issue?

The first season actually had some variety, I have no idea why they changed.

hahaha...I dunno, I always remember I Love Lucy, Threes Company, even Earl as essentially being the same thing every episode. Maybe not so much Earl early on, but it got repetitive after awhile. I guess in some instances the characters will evolve if given enough time, but usually the characters do the same thing over and over. They may have a different catalysts each episode, but the character reactions are fairly predictable. Shows like Scrubs, Cougartown, Arrested Development and Happy Endings are somewhat unpredictable, but most are just sorta going through the motions.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
The Cabin in the Woods 7/10
Alright I like cheesy horror flicks and this one did it for me. I'm sure it has been reviewed before so I won't bother saying anything else. I did like the end.

Apartment 143 5/10
Paranormal Activity/Poltergeist. Family's apartment is haunted and they call in a team to take help them get rid of it. All the video comes from their hand held and mounted cameras which wasn't horrible like they usually are. Just an ok movie.

Deadheads 7/10
A comedy zombie movie and a pretty well done one. All the zombies are the standard slow moving dumb kind except the two main characters in the movie who wake up and are just themselves only zombies. The two of them along with their pet normal zombie they call Cheese decide to track down one of their girl friends while being chased by some government types. Just fun stupid movie with decent acting and zombie makeup. Netflix streaming give it a try.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Anyone see Looper yet? Curious if the hype is real.

Last night.

Solid movie, some stuff i didn't really expect (which i liked), and a great ending.
Don't go in expecting a really fast paced movie; it's not for the most part.

I'd say a 7.5-8/10 for sure.

Moonrise Kingdom - 9/10

What a hidden gem!
This is easily the best movie i've seen in quite some time.

I've heard Wes Anderson makes interesting movies, but haven't actually seen anything of his until Moonrise Kingdom.

And wow, what a great movie to see.

It's a very charming adult love story about two tweenagers who run off together, and the drama that ensues.

Terrific cast of actors, with great performances all around.

Easily would recommend it to everyone other than younger kids.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
End of Watch - 8/10 - Great Buddy Cop flic with a lot more realistic plot and great character development. Writing was pretty well done and was done by the Training Day writer. Plot thickens in areas of unexpectedness with a fantastic climax that left everyone gasping.

Premium Rush - 7/10 Really enjoyed this movie. Camera work was very good, plot was interesting, like the cut scenes showing the riders thought process. If you have ever been to NYC, it makes it even more fun as you really do understand the maps, streets, and chaotic traffic.

Dredd 2D - 8/10 - This movie delivers! Very little dialogue, just action. Plot was good, it was non-stop crazy and had few holes. The dysstopian society they built was pretty epic.

Resident Evil IMAX 3D - 6.5/10 IMAX & 3D makes movies better - loud, film wizardry, non-stop action. Plot was thin, character development was non-existent. You watch this for the special effects and killing. Some good scare scenes with some good monsters and good zombie action. The movie plays out like Levels on a video game, true to its roots. Mila is unstoppable. They did a good 5-minute Intro with cut scenes from the previous movies to walk you through the previous action.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
The Poker House - 4/10?
What did I just watch? I'm not sure, but Selma Blair knocked it out of the park, whatever it was. Really, though, it's all over the place, and several characters serve no purpose. As an actress, I love Lori Petty, but even as movies that movie people just have to make, this was not one of the better ones.

Sleeper - 7/10
There so many great gags and one-liners that it's hard to rate it low, but there wasn't much holding it together. I'm sure part of it, too, is that in 2012, some of the political jokes, and the cheap art deco scifi aesthetic aren't nearly as timely as when it was made.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Melancholia - 6/10

Part 1 was OK; I enjoyed the slide into depression. The rest of the movie was pretty "meh," even with the extreme plot. I've never been a huge fan of art movies.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The Loved Ones - 9/10 - Pretty solid horror Aussie(I think) horror flick about a homicidal father/daughter. It's kind of like Otis (which is also very good). It harkens memories of Texas Chainsaw Massacre in some points and there are some cringe worthy moments.

V/H/S - 8/10 - As with most collection movies, it is hit or miss. None of it is really bad, but there a few that defiinately stand out more than the others. The camera work is done smartly. I would definitely recommend a watch if you are into horror (even if you hate shaky cam)

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Avengers - 8.5/10
Thoroughly enjoyable movie. Kinda sorry I didn't see it in the theater when I finally watched it.

Kung-Fu Hustle - 6/10
My friend was raving about this title for a time, and I finally watched it a few days ago. Some really good action sequences and the soundtrack fit well but the humor was vastly underwhelming.

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Anyone see Looper yet? Curious if the hype is real.

I did over the weekend because Taken 2 were sold out.

Looper - 7.5/10. Drama/Action with a futuristic theme. I am a bit confuse of what was real and what was just "what if this happens ----> then this....or this.."

For example: how did the bad guys from the future get in touch with the loopers of the past to get the contracts set up and be done because the time travel was just one way? I know there was the big boss Abe from the future but how he was able to set up all of that by himself without any special ability or power?

I wish the director would a bit clearer about that and other points and the movie would be much better. So much potential. It could have been another "Inception" but not even close.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Public Enemies: Low

I dont feel like analyzing a percentage.

I think Johnny Depp and Christian Bale were picked out of popularity, not because they were best for the roles or the movie. On Blu-ray it has a very annoying cheap documentary effect that makes it unpleasant to watch, especially cuz the shots alternated back and forth between film mode and soap opera mode. Thats just stupid. Pick a style and stick with it.
Story was good in principle, but not told well. Regardless, I think many people will watch and enjoy it, so dont just take my word.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Public Enemies: Low

I dont feel like analyzing a percentage.

I think Johnny Depp and Christian Bale were picked out of popularity, not because they were best for the roles or the movie. On Blu-ray it has a very annoying cheap documentary effect that makes it unpleasant to watch, especially cuz the shots alternated back and forth between film mode and soap opera mode. Thats just stupid. Pick a style and stick with it.
Story was good in principle, but not told well. Regardless, I think many people will watch and enjoy it, so dont just take my word.

I was not really a fan either, though I do plan on giving it another chance at some point. The super clean, digital feel to the film was definitely jarring, since it was supposed to be a period piece, but my biggest problems were with the story itself. It was pretty uninteresting and neither the acting nor the action was good enough to make up for it.

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I was not really a fan either, though I do plan on giving it another chance at some point. The super clean, digital feel to the film was definitely jarring, since it was supposed to be a period piece, but my biggest problems were with the story itself. It was pretty uninteresting and neither the acting nor the action was good enough to make up for it.

KT

Like too many crime dramas they tried giving equal cover to both the villian and the cop, and ended up doing a poor job on both. Neither had much good characterization by the end.

In fact the movie finishes on the texas ranger and the dame, who were probably the most interesting people in the whole damn thing. Should probably have told the story from their point of view.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Both The Ring and Ringu

I give them both 8/10. There was stuff I liked about each, but I think I have a minor preference for the American version. I thought the video was a little creepier in that.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Argo fuck yourself - 9/10

Another fantastic movie from Affleck, great acting and great directing. Supporting cast was fantastic as well. Lots of inside Hollywood humor. Never felt the movie lagged at all - pretty incredible story as well.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Artist 9/10

He won the acting awards but I liked her better. Maybe it's just the man in me! :) Ambitious movie and I think it pretty much works. The Making Of extra was a good followup.
- - - -
The Runaways 5/10

If Joan Jett hadn't co-produced it, it probably would have fallen on its face completely. As it was, it just dragged most of the time, with a lowsy script, except for the Kim Fowley character, which was punchy, direct and shocking, for the most part. I first heard of Fowley several decades ago, a mind blower kind of guy. The portrayal of Joan Jett was pretty good. Dakota Fanning has a nice body, but couldn't sell the role, IMO. I liked the last 5 minutes but honestly, I wish I hadn't bothered to see this movie.
- - - -
A meeting is an event where minutes are taken and hours wasted.

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Daybreakers 4/10: Interesting premise and twist on the Vampire theme. However, about halfway in the story begins to weaken substantially with a sense of it being rushed, but also it begins to break the credulity barrier.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Daybreakers 4/10: Interesting premise and twist on the Vampire theme. However, about halfway in the story begins to weaken substantially with a sense of it being rushed, but also it begins to break the credulity barrier.
It's a little hard for me to regard any vampire movie as credible. I can't remember getting into one, actually, including Bram Stoker's Dracula, BTW, which I am intending to sell (DVD)!
- - - -
If you always know where you are, you are lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.