NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 103 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Three Stooges 2012, 7/10

a decent, yet predictable remake. the guys playing moe and curly were spot on. larry didnt feel original.

minus 1 point because they cut the kate upton scene in pool (from dish network at least) :hmm:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
The Assault (French 2010) - 7/10. This movie was a solid 7 and worth seeing. I watched with subtitles and French audio. It is about the hijacking of a Air France flight in 1994 and how the French police reacted to it and as the title suggests eventually raids the planet to save the hostages. It felt like a french version of United 93 in that i got emotionally involved with the characters.

BTW, the goal of the terrorists in this movie was to send the plane into the Eiffel Tower 7 years before 9/11 happened.

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Radio Bikini 3/10 - Oscar nominated documentary of the atomic weapon tests at Bikini Atoll. The old footage was interesting but it lacked any real substance. It seemed only to tell the basics of what happened without going into any real depth. Not sure how this thing got nominated for an Oscar. Save yourself about 50 minutes and read the wiki.

Puss in Boots 6/10 - Started off very funny. Once you got into the story it kind of dropped off and got a little tedious. Also got a bit annoyed at the drawn out cat declawing message they stuck in there.

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
Resident Evil: Retribution - 3/10

The good news - it's more zombie butt busting action with Milla.
The bad news - everything else.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
My Name is Khan - 9/10

Wow, what a great movie. It's quite long but good. Without ruining anything, it's about a man with Asperger's Syndrome who ends up on a sort of quest to get his wife back. This is an Indian film right up there in quality with Slumdog Millionaire.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I liked the show a lot, but I'm not in love with the politics all the time. I like the idea of calling out politicians about the crazy stuff they say. However, it's not very balanced (don't remember hearing any references to Democratic politicians saying dumb stuff) and plays into "gotcha politics". The two references to asking Michele Bachmann what God's voice sounds like come to mind - we all know that she wasn't speaking literally. Not saying I even like any of the politicians they called out - just that some of the things were pretty ticky-tacky.

No actually we didn't all know she wasn't speaking literally. In fact I think she was. She's a nutcase. It's about time a show like this was made. I don't care what party someone is from - I just like that they call out the nutters.

It's very apparent as the election nears that there is an incredible amount of lies and bullshit being spewed and nobody there to question it. Well I do since I return a response to everyone in a chain letter with the bullshit in it with links and this show does it as well.

9.5/10

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
My Name is Khan - 9/10

Wow, what a great movie. It's quite long but good. Without ruining anything, it's about a man with Asperger's Syndrome who ends up on a sort of quest to get his wife back. This is an Indian film right up there in quality with Slumdog Millionaire.

dude, this movie sucked. i give it a 4/10 for being so predictable. and i'm a big SRK fan. watch Jodha Akbar on Netflix. that movie is great. 8.6/10

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Resident Evil: Retribution - 5/10

It was what I expected. Nothing more or less.

If you've seen the others and go into this expecting something other than more of the same then you probably shouldn't go see it.

They wrote in a way to bring back some old faces and otherwise it was just mindless killing by Mila as the others before this one are.

They'll clearly be making another one after this one from the way the ended the movie. I would suspect the one that comes out after this movie will truly be the final one they make.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
The housemaid - 7/10 Saw it free thru Amazon prime, the best PQ streaming movie I’ve seen so far. It’s a Korean with English suntitle. It's a “sexy thriller about an innocent young woman caught in the twisted web of a rich family's games." Slow, and predictable except the ending, I was FFing, and saw it only has 10 more mins left and was wondering how it would end. Not bad if you are in the mood for some T&A.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Jaws 1975 9/10

Yummy!

Third watching, this time I determined to let myself accept the movie on its own terms. They were loose with the facts, buy why let facts get in the way of this tour de force of a film?

Sep 29, 2004
Wilfred - 8/10 - 13 episodes of a TV show on netflix. I'm through 9 episodes and i have to say that I am pleasently surprised. Give it 3 episodes atleast. It's a crude kind of humor. It's about a guy (Elijah Wood) who is an ex-lawyer. He quit because he hated his job and bascially chose the career to follow in his dads footsteps. He tries killing himself but the act fails. So now, he halucinates that his neighbors dog talks to him. His neighbor is an attractive girl that he has a crush on. The basic premise is that the dog manipulates Elijah into doing what he wants him to do but at the same time things work out for Elijah. It's interesting. Alot of crude humor (like 90% of the humor) but it's fuinny because it is often due to situations relevant to a dog and not a human.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
Pet Sematary - 8/10

This is still one of my favorite movies from the 80's. A great horror film that preys on your mind and heart more than relying on over-splattery blood scenes. Based on Stephen King's novel, Louis is introduced to the power of an Indian cemetery when his daughter's cat is hit and killed by one of the many speeding tanker trucks barreling down his road. A horrible loss forces Louis to choose between heeding Judd's advice that "Sometimes, dead is better" or risking using the cemetery's power to heal his crippling loss. I really love movies with a 'what would you have done?' scenario. This was brilliant in that regard.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Resident Evil: Retribution - 4/10

What a steaming pile of crap.

I've been a fan of the Resident Evil series for some reason since the beginning, but wow, i forgot just how bad they have become.

Stay far away; there is really nothing i can say about this that's good.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
How the hell did Everybody Loves Raymond get so popular?
After the first season every damn episode is the same. They all get in each others business and yell at each other and then are all in love at the end of the episode.
How in the dickens do they keep having the same problem 24 times a year?

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
How the hell did Everybody Loves Raymond get so popular?
After the first season every damn episode is the same. They all get in each others business and yell at each other and then are all in love at the end of the episode.
How in the dickens do they keep having the same problem 24 times a year?

Most sitcoms are kinda like this. I do remember Peter Boyle being funny.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Looper - 7/10

A fun, well-paced yet predictable sci-fi action flick. Actually, the time travel theme of the movie had more potential I think. Bruce Willis is still looking good. And who can deny Emily Blunt? Hawt!

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
End of Watch 8/10. Enjoyed this movie a lot. Very gritty in certain places (it's like an episode of The Wire]

During the scene where the cop fights the black guy (and when the black guy was acting very ghetto), a couple of couples left the movie.. lol..

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Most sitcoms are kinda like this. I do remember Peter Boyle being funny.

No, they arent. Not like this. Not even close. I've watched tons of sitcoms from I Love Lucy through My Name is Earl. This is by far the worst I've ever seen. All they do in any episode is keep going over the same fights, AND resolving them. How many fucking times can you resolve the exact same issue?

The first season actually had some variety, I have no idea why they changed.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

I liked the premise, but it was a bit /much/. I thought the moralizing was a bit too strong, the "mysticism" a bit hokey, and the planet a bit too fantastic. It was also kind of rushed. I think it would have made a better HBO series, and explore the concepts more thoroughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.