NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 102 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2000
Been sick, got through some movies...

Hunger Games - 7.7/10 - Not a hater like many others were, but I can appreciate their view. I thought it was pretty true to the book, and actually improved on some things that will improve the transition to movies 2 and 3. Little too much shaky cam for my preferences. My wife thought that the drama in a few scenes was muted which I can agree with. Overall a movie like that could really benefit from an R rating.

Happy Gilmore - 8.9/10 - One of my favorite comedies, guilty pleasure I guess

The Princess Bride - 8/10 - Really enjoyed it, sad I waited so long to see it.

Rubber - 6/10 - I somewhat appreciate what they were trying to do, but it just didn't work for me. Props for the physics and movement of the tire, they did a good job with that.

Hanna - 7.3/10 - Decent all around. Couple incongruities, plot holes that took away from things for me. Surprised they didn't set it up for a sequel

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Chinatown is one of my favourite films of all time. It's amazing, though I may actually give Repulsion the nod as my favourite Polanski film. It's been a while since I last watched Chinatown, so that may change again when I re-watch it.

KT
Repulsion is incredible! Saw it on the big screen when it came out, a time or two since. Yes, two of his best. I also saw Rosemary's Baby when it came out, was put off. I suppose I should give it another chance, although my reasons for not liking it probably haven't changed. Maybe I can look past them and appreciate the movie anyway, I know it is highly regarded. I do like The Pianist a whole lot! My recent viewing of Chinatown was a better experience than I expected!

Last edited:

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
Expendables 2 - 6/10

All you need to watch is the first ten minutes to tell if you will like the movie or not - the guys kill an insane number of people in the opening set. And I happened to like it.
You won't find characters with depth here but you will find a lot of action and sometimes that's all that you need.
Is it great? Hell no. But it is a fun time.

The Campaign - 5/10

Though it had a lot of laughs, I would definitely wait and watch this as a rental - it was almost entirely forgettable.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Land of the Dead 5/10: After Dawn of the Dead, this is a huge disappointment. Story is a second rate cartoon with the Characters to match. It really reminds me more of The Running Man than one of the "* of the Dead".

Sep 29, 2004
Run Ricky Run - 5/10 - On Netflix - I thought it was kind of boring. The person doing the documentary spent 5 years with him. He has issues but the reason he quit the NFL has nothing to do with smoking pot.

Village of the Damned - 6/10 - Mark Hamill was probably the highlight of this movie for me. I thought his career ended in 1983. Story about a small town that experiences a blackout. During the blackout, all the women end up pregnant. I think it's obvious enough but to be safe
ALIENS
. It kept me interested which is good. I don't want to give away to much. Theo only weird thing is that in this town of 2000,
the movie makes it fairly clear that only 8 alien children exist. This kinda goes against the grain of the birthing sequence which makes you think that we're dealing with hundreds. I understand that you can't make a movie with 100 alien kids in order to make an emotional story, but it still nagged at me a bit.

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil - 6/10

I love horror movies and I like comedies but usually these combination movies don't work - this one does. Although I figured it would be Tucker and Dale Vs. zombies or serial killers or giant rats with herpes or something. I did like how everything that they did looked threatening to the kids.

The Intruders - 6/10

A father must stop Hollowface from possessing his daughter. I thought it was pretty decent and the ending tied up everything nicely but I probably wouldn't ever watch it again. Oh, and I've always liked Clive Owens.

Red Lights - 5/10

Cillian Murphy and Sigourney Weaver paranormal skeptics who debunk psychics as frauds. But things go awry when they try to expose an old rival. I would have liked it more except the ending has a twist that negates everything that happens in the film.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The Avengers. 7.5/10

I think they did a decent job on the plot line. Which helps sell the superheroe movies. Weak links were Captain America and Hawkeye. Come to think of it Thor is pretty wooden too.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
All on Netflix Streaming:

54 - 5/10 - A brainless movie about Club 54. Tries (poorly) to put you in the spirit of the club at it's peak. If you watch it, jsut turn your brain off.

1984 - 0/10 - Watched 15-20 minutes and was horribly bored by it.

The One - 6/10 - In my mind, the plot was basically a cross between The Matrix and Highlander. It was like The Matrix in that one person gained alot of power, just through a different plot device and like Hihglander in the way one gains power. Fight sequences were pretty cool. Story was unemotional and when
the protagonists wife dies, I couldn't have cared less[/SPOILER].

Ya, I don't feel like writing alot.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
House of Pleasures (7.5/10) - Watched on Netflix Streaming. The cover got me interested because I was in the mood to see some gratuitous boobies, and I was not disappointed. The movie itself is beautifully shot as well, and overall a great story, almost like an insightful history lesson about 19th century prostitution in France.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Predators - 8/10 - Pretty well done and it fits with the original Predator movies well. Makes me forget about the turds that were Alien vs Predator. Adrien Brody and the rest of the cast work out well. Action wasn't excessive and the pace of the movie was pretty good. I don't remember any slow points off the top of my head.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
It's on!

9ba6ff0a1508f14c549099a85b51d724.jpg

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
If I didn't really like Repulsion, does that mean I probably won't like Chinatown?

No, not at all. They are extremely different films. Both are amazing, in my opinion, but for different reasons.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Lawless - 8/10 - Solid story, good acting, great cinematography. I was amazed at the violence in this movie, whoa. Left me gripping my seat a few times. I will say, and this is not a spoiler - when they said they were the Bondurant family and knowing the booze runners ended up in NASCAR I thought to myself, was this the Bob Bondurant racing family?

ATOT - what was in the bag they dropped off at Special Deputy Rakes house?

Do you mean the balls?

KT

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
North by Northwest - 6/10. I could see why a lot of people liked it, but it really wasn't that exciting to me.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You would probably like the sequel 'The Two Jakes' as well.
Uh, I dunno, Cinemania says
- -
...the old indecipherable plot routine that worked for THE BIG SLEEP (1946) doesn't cut it here...
- -
I have watched many movies with convoluted, indecipherable plots and they generally annoy me.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Raid: Redemption- 8/10

Was freaking awesome. Doesn't mess around with unneeded love BS, gets to the point, is simple, and extremely suspenseful.

Only complaint was that at some point, the pain tolerance gets out of hand. Tons of characters take like 15 direct hits to the head and can still pull off insane counters and blocks when they should probably be unconscious.
Egregious over indulgence in violence in "entertainment" media is so common nowadays that people are inured to it if not oblivious. I find it annoying. I'm easily annoyed. I always appreciate a movie that succeeds in either abstaining from violence altogether, or presenting it in a realistic manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.