NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 99 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Easy Rider 8/10

Kind of depressing. The more things change, the more they stay the same...

George: You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it.

Billy: Huh. Man, everybody got chicken, that's what happened, man. Hey, we can't even get into like, uh, second-rate hotel, I mean, a second-rate motel. You dig? They think we're gonna cut their throat or something, man. They're scared, man.

George: Oh, they're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.

Billy: Hey man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody needs a haircut.

George: Oh no. What you represent to them is freedom.

Billy: What the hell's wrong with freedom, man? That's what it's all about.

George: Oh yeah, that's right, that's what it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it - that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. 'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.

Billy: Mmmm, well, that don't make 'em runnin' scared.

George: No, it makes 'em dangerous.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Some Guy Who Kills People - 6/10 - low budget dark comedy about a serial killer who draws. Nothing great, but has a few laughs.

Dark Knight Rises - ?/10
- Not sure, jury's still out. I wanted to like it, but for the first time ever I was like..this movie is too damn long. It just plodded along. I didn't like Bruce Waynes attitude, way too melodramatic. Some things didn't make sense, like they didn't really give much of a time frame of reference for events in the movie. Overall I just felt it was very slow. I hate to say it but I go to those type of movies for action, not drama, and it was lacking in action and had too much drama. It was more like a V for Vendetta type movie, and well, I guess I'm just not into in your face political satire. It just felt like it was trying to take what should have been an action flick and apply way too much depth that wasn't really there. I'll pick it up and watch again once it hits rentals.

Battleship - 8/10 - Honestly, I didn't expect much, but IMO this is the better of the recent alien invasion movies to come out in awhile. I liked it much more than Skyline, District 9, Battle LA, and Darkest Hour and even though it reminds me of Transformers to a degree, it's hella better than those. I think it would have been "perceived" better if they had named it something else rather than try to cash in on an old board game. It's got humor and big guns and I liked that they used the old vets. Still a bit confused over the
museum battleship having all that live ammo available
but otherwise, it was a fun movie.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
My brain and body have not been functioning well recently, so only been watching TV. Watched the first four episodes of Boss which is hit and miss, but Kelsey Grammer is awesome as the Mayor of Chicago and Kathleen Robertson is smoking hot in it. I like it, but I wish it spent more time on the main storyline; presumably it will all wrap together at some point.

Saw the entire first season of Portlandia. Also hit and miss, but I like the randomness of it and the recurring characters are pretty awesome, plus with it being a sketch show, you are not stuck with an unfunny segment for very long, which is good. Really want to watch the second season, but it seems to be missing from Netflix. :hmm:

Watched the full first season and the next six episodes of season two of Parks & Recreation. The first season (only six episodes) is only ok, but the second season has been pretty damn awesome so far. Liking this quite a bit and we are kind of addicted to it. Was excited to see Louis C.K. show up for a recurring role.

Watched the first four episodes of Louie, which is freaking amazing! I'm not sure my lady will like this one since it is darker and raunchier than most, but after seeing Louis C.K. show up on Parks & Rec. hopefully she will be more willing to try it out. Awesome show.

KT

Edit: Forgot that we also watched Dexter: Season 6. I gave up on the show after season two, but saw this on demand and I have to say I got sucked in pretty quickly after an episode or two. Sure, it's kind of dumb and ridiculous, but it was a fun watch and I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next season.

Last edited:

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
yeah Luis was great. Alot of people wont get it because the story parts are very dark and not "funny" But i thought it was brilliant.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I have been watching a couple new shows with the GF.

Web Therapy - This show is just bad. It is not funny and the whole basis of the show is just lazy. I am surprised cause the chick usually like most stuff but even agreed with me that the show is not that good.

Necessary Roughness - I started watching the show with low expectations but I find myself enjoying it, probably cause it has football in the mix. Decent show

Sep 29, 2004
[size=+2]TimeCrimes - 9/10[/size] - One of the best time travel based sci-fi movies I have ever seen. It is about a man who accidentally gets sent back in time. sent back 90 minutes. Having just lived the past 90 minutes, he realizes that he has to do certain things to replicate the past 90 minutes.

That's the best way I can state it without spoiling anything. This movie was awesome. Not a 10/10 because it kinda slowed in the end. But for the most part, the pace is awesome.

87% on Rotten Tomatoes for those that care.

Originally filmed in the Spanish language, this one is subtitled. Subtitles were fine though. Not like some movies where 10 words appear for one second.

And this is yet another example of why I am fed up with Hollywood.

nefflix link:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Timecrimes/70084258

Cronocrimenes.jpg

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Necessary Roughness - I started watching the show with low expectations but I find myself enjoying it, probably cause it has football in the mix. Decent show
Callie Thorne is easy on the eyes, too. That's pretty much the only show I would miss, if I had no cable.

Werewolf of London- 6/10

It's a fairly good monster/folklore movie for its time.

And, Jesus H. Christ, HIS HAIR WAS PERFECT.

Wordplay

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2010
God Bless America - 8/10

I really liked this movie. The end of the movie is awesome!!!

Gave it an 8/10 because in the back of my mind I couldn't get over how long they were on the road for without being caught. Also the girl showing up in the end was a o_O moment. I know it is set in an over the top world but her popping up in the end had me thinking "how in the hell did she ditch her parents again?":confused:

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
[size=+2]TimeCrimes - 9/10[/size] - One of the best time travel based sci-fi movies I have ever seen. [/IMG]

Thanks for the tip. Watched it yesterday and even though I know where it was going 20 min in it was a good movie and the ending did vary a little from what I expected.

Id say 8/10 as well

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Oldie but a goodie..

Bull Durham (1988)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094812/
10/10

And on a related note...
Moneyball (2011)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1210166/
7.5/10

Oh yeah, and there's also this.
BTTF Trilogy (1985-1990)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/
8.8/10
These are all in my collection. I tried watching Bull Durham a couple months ago and didn't finish it. It would have been my second viewing. Not realistic enough for my tastes. Moneyball I finally saw about a month ago. I thought it easily the best baseball movie I've ever seen. The only game I've gone to in person in the last 25+ years was that last win of their 20 game win streak. The A's looked to be sure losers of that game and they won it heroically, as portrayed in the movie. I was actually out there in the right field bleachers, and yeah, I was looking for myself while watching the movie. However, with one or two possible exceptions all the shots of fans in the bleachers were staged.

I saw The Help (2011) a few days ago: 9/10. It really worked for me. I think the casting and acting was fantastic. Yes, it was sentimental, manipulative, and it dealt in stereotypes, but racism is intrinsically involved with stereotypes, there's no getting around that. Such great acting! The movie's set in the early to middle 1960's and I think that problem of racism in America has lessened considerably since then. However, the other central subject of this film is economic disparity and that one has worsened a great deal. I say see this movie!

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Olympics Closing Ceremony - 3/10

As if the closing ceremony wasn't bad enough, it was further destroyed by NBC's crappy editing and ridiculous decision to include a preview of "Animal Whatever"

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Easy Rider 8/10

Kind of depressing. The more things change, the more they stay the same...
Well, I think it's probably a lot safer nowadays to ride through the deep south on a hog with long hair. :eek:

Olympics Closing Ceremony - 3/10

As if the closing ceremony wasn't bad enough, it was further destroyed by NBC's crappy editing and ridiculous decision to include a preview of "Animal Whatever"

I timeshifted the entire Olympics, off the air, none of the subscription stuff. Except for yesterday early morning, I didn't record anything in the early morning hours. I never watch TV without timeshifting. I was able to skip all the commercial breaks. I did this with probably 98% of them, watched a few, maybe once. I still have part of yesterday's programming to watch (I've had to stay away from news to avoid spoilers!). I'll try the closing ceremonies, no doubt skipping portions. That Animal Whatever thing, well, they've been pumping that for days. I especially skip programming hype. And, yes, I too resent the fact that the networks constantly pimp their programming when broadcasting sports (I hate Jim Nance half the time... at least Al Michaels acts like he says it because he has to). It's part of why I do the DVR thing.

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Breaking Bad 10/10: Can a TV show get any better than this? Tight plot, minimal plot holes, and just very well kept together. All characters are well developed and believable. The suspense is amazing most pivotal points. This has to be one of the best drama in TV of recent years.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Dark Knight Rises: 8/10

Might be a bit more generous than I'd like but for the most part the movie didn't seem like 2:47 mins long or whatever to me. I thought the movie was pretty dark & intense, even for a comic flick but there still was some questionable parts in it. Prob the most annoying was how much of a wuss they made Alfred. The first 2 were Alfred convincing Batman to kick ass. Now it's like "Please don't go out there Bruce. I had dreams of you and a lovely lady settling down and giving me grandkids, even though I'm not even related to you." Really Alfred?

Chronicle 7/10

I liked it enough to keep watching it. Pretty good special effects and I thought the maincharacter had good development throughout. I think I was just expecting a little more action or something. Decent though.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
the biggest plot hole like blam in your face wtf moment in TDKR was when all the dirt bikes came out of the stock exchange...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Odyssey 5(Netflix)- 6.5/10: Another decent formulaic Science Fiction TV series that was cancelled before completion. The Plot is nothing new, 5 people see the end of the Earth, then get 5 years to try and prevent that end. The show is similar to First Wave in its' formula, each episode having a sub plot related to the main plot. Well acted, good characters, decent story, and occasional Nudity:p

Worth watching if you need something to watch, but with it being incomplete it's rather disappointing in the end.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Battleship 6.5/10

It was better than I expected. I had fun and as long as you don't try to bring logic into it, you can have fun for a little while

Hunger game 6/10

Maybe it's the hype, but I didn't think too much of this movie.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sex House (TheOnion) - 8/10: A continuing reality show parody from TheOnion. A reality show about 5 people in a house whose whole purpose is to have sex without consequence. What could possibly go wrong?

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Breaking Bad 10/10: Can a TV show get any better than this? Tight plot, minimal plot holes, and just very well kept together. All characters are well developed and believable. The suspense is amazing most pivotal points. This has to be one of the best drama in TV of recent years.

This little mini review of yours has me at episode #6 of the first season so far. I'm really enjoying it!

Sep 29, 2004
Thanks for the tip. Watched it yesterday and even though I know where it was going 20 min in it was a good movie and the ending did vary a little from what I expected.

Id say 8/10 as well

I am glad someone else appreciated it due to the tip ;-)

Sep 29, 2004
Bubba Ho-Tep - 3/10 - An interesting concept that fails to deliver. It is a comedy but I did not laugh much. A few times I giggled but that was it. Basically, Elvis Presley is still alive and in a elderly care facility. he and someone who thnks he is JFK realize that a mummy is killing people there. And the obvious plot-line happens. Very few laughs happen along with it.

The Flaw - 9/10 - A look at the recession and financial collapse of 2008, this documentary investigates the causes of ruin and includes interviews with noted economists, financial reporters, Wall Street bankers and homeowners on the brink of foreclosure. Found it interesting and provides a few links I didn't think of.

Currently started the Fishbone documentary but have to finish it, so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.