NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2000
Young Adult - 6.4/10 - I thought Charlize did a good job, but I <3 her so Im biased. Just didnt think there was much plot or humor, and I couldnt really relate to the characters. Interesting note, the girl that played Patton Oswalts sister was my wife's college roommate - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2180792/ My wife didnt even know she turned into an actress. My wife said that in college Collette acted a lot like Charlizes character in the movie lol.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Intruders 2/10, the first 5mins intro was good, but going downhill fast from that point...disappointing, $hitty ending, movie ended with no explaination, slow, not scary, bottomline, not worth the rental money.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
I need to find a list somewhere of some movies to watch. I tried to look up like on Rotten Tomatoes top movies per year but they're all these weirdo movies ... I just want normal movies that normal people watch...like right now they have the top movie of 2012:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_invisible_war/

Oh boy, that just looks so interesting I don't know what to do with myself.

So anyway, where can I get a list or movies that aren't:

1. Documentaries
2. Foreign
3. Made like $50k in the theatre (woopty doo)

So...anyone have any advice for some movies that are normal and aren't about the mating habits of penguins or I have to be tri lingual to understand?

Thanks,

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I need to find a list somewhere of some movies to watch. I tried to look up like on Rotten Tomatoes top movies per year but they're all these weirdo movies ... I just want normal movies that normal people watch...like right now they have the top movie of 2012:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_invisible_war/

Oh boy, that just looks so interesting I don't know what to do with myself.

So anyway, where can I get a list or movies that aren't:

1. Documentaries
2. Foreign
3. Made like $50k in the theatre (woopty doo)

So...anyone have any advice for some movies that are normal and aren't about the mating habits of penguins or I have to be tri lingual to understand?

Thanks,

Go look up "worst of the year"

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Dark Night Rises - 9.5/10
The Watch - 1/10 ---- Avoid at all costs!!!
Brave - 4/10
True Grit - 9/10
The Avenger - 6/10
The Count of Monte Cristo - 9/10

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Superfly 7/10

Not sure about the rating. I think a lot of my enjoyment was for the nostalgia factor. After watching it, I looked it up on Wikipedia, and that said Priest was black! I figured he was Puerto Rican or something. He had a strange accent I couldn't place, and didn't look black at all. It was entertaining, but no masterpiece.

Sep 29, 2004
Lillyhammer - 8/10 - a refreshing show only on Netflix. Starring Steven Van Zandt from the E Street Band (Bruce Springsteen). He also starred on The Sapranos. So it is not shocking to see this guy just nail his role. He stars as a mafia guy that turned witness. Goes into Witness protection and requests Lillyhammer for some reason. While there, he has trouble walking down a new path and basically behaves as a mobster would behave. I watched 5 of the 8 episodes and I love it. At only 8 episdoes, I think everyone should dedicate a week to watching it.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Lillyhammer - 8/10 - a refreshing show only on Netflix. Starring Steven Van Zandt from the E Street Band (Bruce Springsteen). He also starred on The Sapranos. So it is not shocking to see this guy just nail his role. He stars as a mafia guy that turned witness. Goes into Witness protection and requests Lillyhammer for some reason. While there, he has trouble walking down a new path and basically behaves as a mobster would behave. I watched 5 of the 8 episodes and I love it. At only 8 episdoes, I think everyone should dedicate a week to watching it.

Isn't this the Netflix exclusive show? I should check it out.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Brave - 4/10
Everything Pixar usually gets right is wrong in this one. It was just boring and disconnected. Story needed a *lot* more work.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Brave - 4/10
Everything Pixar usually gets right is wrong in this one. It was just boring and disconnected. Story needed a *lot* more work.

Ah, the disneyification of pixar is complete. Now for brave 2->9 to be released.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Ted - 6.8/10

Mostly hilarious but a fairly weak plot. Definitely felt like live action family guy. I mean it was hilarious, and I'm glad we saw it, but I was expecting more.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
The Skulls III 2/10

This is what you watch when you are laying comfortably in your bed and you do not want to get up to get the remote from across the room. Well, at least that is how I ended up watching it last night.

Spoilers:
The bad guy is not bad and good guy is not good. It only took about 15 minutes to figure it out. In the same vein as The Hazing, which, in fact, now that I think about it, The Skulls III may have ripped off.

It did not even have any nudity to save it.

MotionMan

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Troll Hunter 8/10

Its free for Amazon Prime subscribers. Kinda strange premise, like Blair Witch, but instead of searching for a witch, a team of film students shadow a guy who hunts trolls. Giant trolls. And its not a Scy Fy style movie, its actually well done. The hand held cinematography gets on my nerves, but I guess it fits with the plot of the movie.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Code Monkeys -1/10

Holy hell that show is terrible. IDK, maybe it was just the first episode, but man, I didn't even manage half a chuckle. Nothing was really funny.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Dark Night Rises - 9.5/10
The Watch - 1/10 ---- Avoid at all costs!!!

I saw DKR for the second time last night. I really enjoyed it again, except that the second time through, as someone mentioned earlier, the ending really drags on.

I also saw The Watch last night. Again, I enjoyed it. If you've ever seen the movie "The Burbs," I'd say it was sort of like that; somewhat similar plot, and about as funny. It was far from a great movie, but as far as something stupid to watch for 90 minutes that would make you laugh? It was fine for that. The first 10 or 15 minutes was probably the worst part of the movie, though it did set up for a few jokes later on.
Like when they discover they're at an orgy and the girl comes up to him and says "can I suck on your balls?"

The whole picture/dance scene with the alien was funny. Blowing up the cow was funny. Their brains are in their penises. "Did your dad really rip your last boyfriend's penis off?"
Tons of funny one or two liners. Not quite lmao funny, but funny nonetheless.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I also saw The Watch last night. Again, I enjoyed it. ... Tons of funny one or two liners. Not quite lmao funny, but funny nonetheless.

I believe that there are two kinds of "good" comedies: funny comedies and fun comedies. The latter is usually fun to watch, but isn't necessarily that funny. The only bad thing is a comedy that isn't funny or fun. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.