NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 97 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I think the new movies are excellent (I haven't seen Rises, yet). They are, however, very modern, and seriousness dominates. I think the character and plot detail and depth are much greater than the Burton ones.

The black humor, perversity, and slapstick of the Tim Burton movies is something I doubt we'll see again any time soon, if ever, though. They were definitely masterpieces. Hollywood seems to be unable to make movies these days with style, and only a few indies and star movie makers manage to come up every now and then with enough budget to do it with effects-heavy genres. What makes it is hard to pin down, for me, but that quality, where the movie really feels like it is its own universe, seemed to mostly disappear from big name producers and studios sometime in the mid 90s, IMV. In the last decade or more, I've seen it more often in TV series than movies.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
name some movies that would fit this description:
Obviously, Batman, and Batman Returns. Others that come to mind off the top of my head: about half of Carpenter's movies, Alien, Aliens, and Wall Street. Where the movie isn't made so much as a collection of disjoint influences edited together, might be a better description (Robocop being an excellent movie basically made just that way).

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Saw 2 movies this weekend.

1. Spidey reboot - 6/10. WTH. The dude as Spidey was like a studdering nerd with a bad hair cut. This was so bad compare with the first Spidey movie 10 years ago. The only saving grace moments were Emma Stone as Gwen (so sexy, especially her eyes) and that special person in the library (cameo role again) and the special effect (more fluid and better visual).

2. Batman 3 - 9/10. If the dialog were better and cut down the plot holes (plural), it would be almost as good as Lord Of The Ring. Love M. Caine as Afred, moving scences.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
If the dialog were better and cut down the plot holes (plural), it would be almost as good as Lord Of The Ring. Love M. Caine as Afred, moving scences.

I am OK with plot holes.. but the dialogue was horrid in this iteration.. and few parts I found to be cliched.

Why the fuck do they have to kiss when there is less than 10 mins for the bomb to blow up the entire city?

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Are the plot holes even more noticeable than The Dark Knight? I'm one of the minority who thinks TDK was a bit overrated.

Depends what Dark Knight plot hole you're referring to. It doesn't change the fact that the movie is an exceptional piece of filmmaking...the scenes in question just make you go WTF.

Check out my other TDKR thread.

Please do elaborate on TDK plot holes you think of. I'm pretty good ad finding them and I don't know any. Nolan is pretty thorough about his Movie I've noticed. He's a very smart film maker.

Sep 29, 2004
The Dark Knight (2008) - 7/10 - Interesting movie but there were about 4 different times that I thought the movie was over. And it wasn't. And I eventually started getting bored and tired of it. So, first half was awesome. The second half jsut dragged out to much for me.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Stake Land - 7/10 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1464580/

Interesting movie. I was thinking it was going to have a sort of Zombieland vibe to it at first, but there really isn't any sense of humor in the film whatsoever. It's a very bleak post-apocalyptic vampire movie. It was a fairly enjoyable film, but nothing really exceptional. It's worth watching.

Religulous - 7.5/10 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815241/

I suppose if you're deeply religious, this film is more likely to offend you than anything else. If you're not, then you'll likely appreciate Maher's quips about the absurdity of most religious beliefs, and he details many of the absurdities fairly well, I think. I felt that after about an hour into the film, it started getting a little less interesting, but overall I enjoyed it.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
The Amazing Spiderman 8/10 - I thought it was easily better than Spidey 2 and 3, and on par with the first. It did have some reality inconsistencies (I'm a stickler for them) but they were relatively minor:
Lizard not killing Gwen in the lab, Gwen as an intern coming up with the antidote to a serum that took 2 generations of geniuses to create, why Peter wasn't recruited for high school sports after showing off incredible physical feats
. The story was well written, flowed well with Peter Parker as he should be (witty and sarcastic like the comics unlike the Toby incarnation, but still initially keeping the nerdy alter ego) and Emma Stone is amazing as always - looks wise and acting. Dennis Leary and Sally Field were also very good.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Please do elaborate on TDK plot holes you think of. I'm pretty good ad finding them and I don't know any. Nolan is pretty thorough about his Movie I've noticed. He's a very smart film maker.
1. Unrealistic use of guns, both in the NY wall street battle scene (thugs w/ assault weapons vs cops with pea shooters)

2. Nobody shoots bane or batman in said scene.

3. Timeline and blast radius for nuclear bomb explosion does not make sense (2 minutes left, 6 mile blast radius)

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
1. Unrealistic use of guns, both in the NY wall street battle scene (thugs w/ assault weapons vs cops with pea shooters)

2. Nobody shoots bane or batman in said scene.

3. Timeline and blast radius for nuclear bomb explosion does not make sense (2 minutes left, 6 mile blast radius)

I meant the 2nd movie not Rises I havent seen rises yet so Im not reading that.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
I dont know if they are plot holes really but like the excessive car chases/gun fights as well as most violence/explosion type things. But again those arnt really plot holes.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
How about the dinner party? Batman and Rachel go out the window, then what happens upstairs after that? Anyone? Joker just goes home?

KT

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
American Reunion 8/10 - surprisingly good installment of the series, honestly.

Ted 10/10 - If you are a bit of a free spirit and a child of the 80's then this movie is taylor made for you. I loved it and laughed from beginning to end, as did the rest of the crowd. I've never heard a movie audience laugh so much and so loudly.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Just stumbled across Miller's Crossing. Great movie. Interesting Dialogue and presentation.
The power of a woman was big in this one.

Also watched the 1996 version of The Island Of Dr Moreau. That was as bad as the above movie was good.

Definitely recommend Miller's Crossing for a must see. Will leave a impression on you.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
How about the dinner party? Batman and Rachel go out the window, then what happens upstairs after that? Anyone? Joker just goes home?

KT

:D I watched about an hour of TDK a few days ago and that was one of the scenes I saw. There are a lot of those set piece scenes(as it seems like there are in TDKR) that are cool but once they're over, they're forgotten. The scenes abruptly end and they move on to the next thing. Inception was similar, and so was The Prestige, but to a lesser extent.

But I admit I rather have some of the cool scenes Nolan comes up with vs. the comic book movies that try to be real movies and fail(Hellboy kinda succeeds)

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
I thought about that as well but bottom line is yeah...they leave. Dents no where to be found, batmans out, bust some shit up and leave...

Status
Not open for further replies.