NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 96 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2004
2 episodes into Lillihammer. So far, I'd give it a 7/10. It has an interesting mix of characters, good comic releif and a reasonable story arc over the episodes. Better than the mindless one and done type episodes that many shows use where you don't need to know anything from past episodes to understand what is going on.

I wish I could give ait a 10/10 but it's not that good. I personally do enjoy it enough to recomend it though.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Here's my long overdue list of recent reviews:

The Grey 7.5/10: Pretty good. I loved the artistic ending. Wasn't memorably fantastic though.

The Avengers 7/10: Terribly overhyped. Some of the super hero movies manage to be excellent all around such as X-Men First Class and Iron Man 1. Both were just wholesome and fun at the same time. The Avengers was lackluster and didn't quite stand out considering it was THE movie to tie out all the heroes and their respective movies together. It's almost as bad as Captain America.

Captain America 6.5/10: Corny as hell. And It was extra 'comic-booky' than recent comic-to-life films that go for the realistic portrayal.

The Contagion 7.5/10: Solid all around. I love doomsday films that tries the paint the societal collapse realistically. The films narrow portrayal of how the government responds is refreshing compared to your typical mass hysteria depiction.

MiB 3 7/10: Doesn't have the charm of the original, but way better than the terribad second one. I also loved the ending. A nice flick all around.

21 Jump Street 7/10: Alright. Jonah Hill's socially awkward shtick is long past getting old (along with Superbad McLovin kid, Seth Rogan stoner crew).

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Savages (7/10)
Overall an enjoyable movie with interesting story. My main gripes are the "second ending" and the shitty acting and line delivery by Blake Lively. While she's definite eye candy, who thought it was a good idea to put a zero talent actress like this chick in a role that requires so much dialogue? However, Benicio Del Toro and John Travolta delivered, I really enjoyed it when they're on screen. If Oliver Stone would have just turned this movie into a full blown action thriller, it would have gotten a much higher rating.

Oct 25, 2006

The Avengers 7/10: Terribly overhyped. Some of the super hero movies manage to be excellent all around such as X-Men First Class and Iron Man 1. Both were just wholesome and fun at the same time. The Avengers was lackluster and didn't quite stand out considering it was THE movie to tie out all the heroes and their respective movies together. It's almost as bad as Captain America.

I can't believe you think X-Men First Class was actually good. It actively shit on source material and didn't really have a "point", specifically because it shit on source material so much that at this point its in its own universe.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I can't believe you think X-Men First Class was actually good. It actively shit on source material and didn't really have a "point", specifically because it shit on source material so much that at this point its in its own universe.

It may piss off the comic book nerds, I don't have a problem with that.

I too feel that First Class is a way better movie than the Avengers.

Sep 29, 2004

MiB 3 7/10: Doesn't have the charm of the original, but way better than the terribad second one. I also loved the ending. A nice flick all around.

I like the ending also, but
doesn't that break how the two met i nthe first movie?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Incendies 8/10
Really enjoyed this movie. Story is quite gripping with a really powerful end!

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
I really liked this as well, I did think that it ended really abrubtly. It seemed to give ample time to many aspects of the story, but the final leg was very rushed and felt like a letdown compared to the overall arc. I kind of have the idea that this would have made a spectacular David Lean film with a good 3 or 3.5 hours to really breathe.

I still recommend it, but that aspect indeed bothered me.

yea I also thought this movie was rushed at the end. I would've given it a 9 had it played out the pasage thru the Himalayas part. But they probably had to cut that out because of budgetary concerns of filming in the mountains

You just put this on my radar; I'm gonna check it out. Thanks!

awesome! hope you like it.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
The Dark Knight Rises - 8/10.
glaring plot holes render me unable to score it any higher

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Thats what everyone keeps saying.
Not to mention it supposedly takes a whole hour to get going.

Pacing is similar to Dark Knight...towards the end of the movie, I say pacing is better than Dark Knight.

I did not notice the 2 hour and 44 minute run time AT ALL.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I am worried that DKR will suffer from "Spiderman 3: The Syndrome" too many characters, not enough time dedicated to play out a character.. which combined with ridiculously long run time.. makes for an extremely tiring movie going experience.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I am worried that DKR will suffer from "Spiderman 3: The Syndrome" too many characters, not enough time dedicated to play out a character.. which combined with ridiculously long run time.. makes for an extremely tiring movie going experience.

This is not what happens at all.

The character development is excellent and is one of the best parts of the movie. I especially loved Bane's backstory.

It also continues Bruce Wayne's character development as well as Alfred's in an exceptional manner.
Not a lot of screen time for Morgan Freeman though.

You MUST see the other two movies though. Don't bother coming into this movie without seeing the other two.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
The Dark Knight Rises - 8/10.
glaring plot holes render me unable to score it any higher

Are the plot holes even more noticeable than The Dark Knight? I'm one of the minority who thinks TDK was a bit overrated.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
This is not what happens at all.

The character development is excellent and is one of the best parts of the movie. I especially loved Bane's backstory.

Good to know. I am going to watch the movie on a weekday next week, I hate those huge crowds.. ruins my mood.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Are the plot holes even more noticeable than The Dark Knight? I'm one of the minority who thinks TDK was a bit overrated.

Depends what Dark Knight plot hole you're referring to. It doesn't change the fact that the movie is an exceptional piece of filmmaking...the scenes in question just make you go WTF.

Check out my other TDKR thread.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Really burned out on Redbox lately due to the fact they don't carry many older movies I haven't seen yet, or ones I'd prefer to watch instead of the latest crap. I happened upon the Blockbuster free 6 month DVD rental thread on SD (mail only, no online stream) and signed up immediately.
I proceeded to fill my queue with dozens of movies that I'd seen on Naked Trailers or were recommended in this thread. Some of the good ones I'm looking forward to (keep in mind I have an eclectic taste in movies):

Rounders - Matt Damon, John Malkovich and Ed Norton
In The Loop - British comedy about a paper war
Identity - suspense thriller with John Cusack
Red Cliff - John Woo directed; Chinese warlords fighting
De-Lovely - life story of songwriter Cole Porter
13 Assassins - More kung fu fighting
Inside Job - documentary on how our economy went in the sh*tter
Pursuit of Happyness - Will Smith in a feel good role
Straw Dogs - remake of a Sam Peckinpah classic

Thinking of adding to the queue:

In Darkness - True story of Jews hidden in the Warsaw sewers during Nazi occupation
City of Life and Death - Details the Japanese rape of Nanking atrocities

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Flash Forward (Netflix) - 7/10: Little Sci-Fi, little philosophy, whole lot of drama, little bit of Action. Reminds me of Lost somewhat, even includes 1 or 2(I think the main characters wife was Penny from Lost, not entirely sure though), possibly 3 Actors from Lost. Even though this series was cancelled after the first Season and not all Plots were finished, enough of it was wrapped up that it is still worth watching IMO. One big plot that was unfinished was Who was behind everything, quite important for sure, but it was enjoyable.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The Grey 7.5/10: Pretty good. I loved the artistic ending. Wasn't memorably fantastic though.
Ugh.

Why does everyone like this movie (especially the critics)? It's worthless! I really don't want to force myself to watch it again just to articulate what's wrong with it.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Ugh.

Why does everyone like this movie (especially the critics)? It's worthless! I really don't want to force myself to watch it again just to articulate what's wrong with it.

Thanks, you've convinced me to watch it in the near future

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
It may piss off the comic book nerds, I don't have a problem with that.

I too feel that First Class is a way better movie than the Avengers.

Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed First Class. When you have Kevin Bacon on your side who cares about comic book source material? ;)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Sam Peckinpah, 1974) 8.7/10

Here's the blurb I just wrote for myself in my table I use to track my movie watching:
- -
Watched again 2 nights ago, partially (33min.) the night before. Pretty amazing stuff, it's been a while... 4.4 years since my sole other viewing in 2008, Feb. Sam Peckinpah (director and co-writer, IIRC), well it makes me wonder about him a whole lot and I should/shall look it up, do the wikipedia dance on it. So down to earth, or better said, "earthy." The dirt, dust, old dirty, dented American cars, the shear unpredictability, the rawness, the presense of obviously real unpaid Mexicans all over the place. The unpredictability of it (for me, anyway), love sex death greed struggle evil hope music sentimentality tears blood lust imagination wilderness wildness and something you never get in the movies, the stench of dead bodies!!! All this makes it amazing.
- -
It's kinda funny too.

Sep 29, 2004
Batman Begins - 7/10 - Maybe it's just me. I think the 1989 batman was the best Batman that was done. Sure, this newer movie had nice special effects and all but who cares. I didn't get bored, it's just that it is another comic book based movie. ya, the romantic interest was not played up well enough. The ending kiss was stupid and pointless.

Nextstop, The dark Night then off to he theaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.