NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Night Watch / Day Watch - 10/10

This is by far the best series I have ever watched. How it's taken me this long to see them is beyond me,
maybe someone Chalked me out of it?
The best way to describe this is: warring secret factions of night creatures + plots & schemes + brilliant fight scenes + really involved love story. Also, everything is in Russian which make this just that more badass. Oddly, Night Watch is on Netflix Streaming and Day Watch is on Amazon Video. Happily, I have both. I am so buying these on Blu for my library.
Yea, I love these movies. They also were the "wanted" creators. I thought there was supposed to be a third "watch" movie?

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Just watched Prometheus. I have to say I liked it very much, pretty epic movie. :thumbsup:

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
A curious rating. Most people are either in the zero camp or the ten camp.

What did you like? What didn't you? Did you "get it"?

Well at first I was intrigued ,loved the camera work, always behind the actors,the claustrophobic,glittering atmosphere but then it started getting tedious and way too long ,like the director had a good and novel idea but didn`t know how to finish it.
I could see the movie as a cinema version of a spiritual journey ending in rebirth but watching it felt like a chore to me,all those flyover takes made me want to punch the screen;my overwhelming feeling is that the director didn`t want to put in the effort to make something more.. tight.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
The Divide

A paranoia inducing movie about a bomb being released in New York city and 8 apartment dwellers get to a bunker in their building to escape the damage. But once down there they have to get along and survive each other. Rated R and definitely not for children. Seeing Michael Beihn play the building superintendent who built the bunker go crazy is great. Everyone goes crazy in this film. I give it an 8 out of 10.

Youtube trailer here

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Yea, I love these movies. They also were the "wanted" creators. I thought there was supposed to be a third "watch" movie?

I thought that as well but i checked and it is only two movies. They are not perfect movies but they are worth watching. Now time to see the French film The Assualt and the Indonesian film The Raid: Redemption.

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Drive - 8/10 - Loved it from the beginning. Love the style and the writing. I wish there was more dialog and there are a few horrifically violent scenes that seem almost out of place with the rest of the movie but when it was over I wanted to watch it again. Carey Mulligan is sofa king cute!

I loved this movie as well, the soundtrack was really unique and great as well.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I thought that as well but i checked and it is only two movies. They are not perfect movies but they are worth watching. Now time to see the French film The Assualt and the Indonesian film The Raid: Redemption.

There was no 3rd movie as the 2nd movie covers both books 2 and 3.

Sep 29, 2004
There was no 3rd movie as the 2nd movie covers both books 2 and 3.

I think the wikipeida page said that it was a planned trilogy that never happened. I was suprised to hear about a second movie.

Anyway ... at work so not double checkign my facts

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I think the wikipeida page said that it was a planned trilogy that never happened. I was suprised to hear about a second movie.

Anyway ... at work so not double checkign my facts

Yea there were supposed to be originally, but they ended up just mashing it into the 2nd movie. The books are great btw.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Iron Sky. 7/10 Hilarious alternate history popcorn movie. Premise is Nazi Germans managed to setup a base on the darkside of the moon and get discovered when the US president sent a model to the dark side as a publicity stunt to win election. Fun silly movie.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Gunless - 7/10 - comedy-romance-western starring Paul Gross who played the Canadian Mountie that teamed up with a Chicago cop in Due South

Light and fun, the comedy is fish out of water amusement as an American gunslinger ends up in a tiny Canadian town where no one owns a pistol or understands the code of the West. It's on Netflix streaming.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Carnivale, weird, yet intriguing. If you like HBO shows, you'll probably like this.

Great show. I just wish they'd ended the final episode about 5 minutes earlier ...
with the "happy" ending instead of the grim setup for a new season that would never happen

Shadow Conception

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2006
Roger Dodger

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299117/

8/10 -- It really surprised me. Lead actor gives an incredibly strong performance, and the cinematography/visuals are modern and beautiful. I didn't fully empathize with Eisenberg's character (I swear I thought he was Michael Cera at first), but I did feel the suspense and tension that he was subjected to. Incredibly intelligent and witty dialogue, and the movie ultimately seems to serve as a very interesting character study. I would highly, highly recommend it.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
The Raid: Redemption. 8/10.

Good action packed movie. Downsides? Typical plot. Some moments were just too unbelievable. (e.g. how many blows to the head a guy can take and still not have hemorrhaging)

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Nightmare Man - 3/10

So, OK,it's one of the 8 films to die for from 2007, and Tiffany Shepis is playing a major character. I never expected it would land on a list of cinema classics. But, I did hope it would be an enjoyable romp for the early morning hours. I'm afraid it couldn't even pull that off. It was just entertaining enough not to turn it off.

Angel Heart - 7/10
Harry Angel is a steretypical movie private eye in the 50s. He's hired by a mysterious man to find someone who owes him money. But, this guy with the debt seems to have disappeared. People who knew him, and people who knew some of the now-deceased people that knew him, don't want to talk, and obviously have some deeper knowledge of the situation. And so it goes on...

You know, I'd never heard of this movie before. Kind of odd, given that I'll watch just about any American Voodoo movie, and generally like neo-noir. It's got some hokey bits, and there are early confrontations that don't much sense, but it's pretty damn good. Lisa Bonet was hot, too.
Shame her character kept getting covered in blood.
Whoever transferred and remastered it really cared about their work, too; both video and audio. In the early scenes, you can hardly even tell that it was film, and some of the sound effects just come right out of the speakers at you.

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
Awake Pilot 8.5/10
An interesting twist on crime procedurals. At the beginning I was skeptical how they were going to use the dual world meaningfully, but I was won over when the cases began to bleed into each other, intensifying the mystery!

Last edited:

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Boy Wonder 7.5/10

I saw this on streaming Netflix and really enjoyed it. A thought provoking movie that is actually very well written and respectable acting all around. Quick summary--teen who is haunted by his mum's murder years before develop a dark and violent side as he tries to find his mother's killer. There are more layers to the story and it is very well worth a watch.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Police Academy series 1-7. Not in one go though. I just watched 7 last night.

The first one was probably the best. They're all good, but the first 3 are the best ones I'd say. I always laugh how Lesard ends up getting in some situation but ends up coming back and the end and saving the day. Hilarious stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.