NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 86 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Jerry Seinfeld Comedian 9/10

Ten years old, Jerry getting his standup feet back beneath him after the mega-successful TV series. Documentary, lots of great people in it including Cosby, Chris Rock, gives an insider's view of what it takes to be a stand up comedian. My 2nd viewing after a number of years, and it was just as great.

Nov 7, 2000
Hugo - 8.2/10 - Excellent movie. I thought the blu-ray looked fantastic.

Hobo with a Shotgun - 6.5/10 - Enjoyed the overall premise. Had promise, underdelivered. Felt rushed. Didn't care for the styling with the color at times.

May 13, 2009
Feel free to comment on any of the movies I rate. Its interesting to know what others think of the same movie.
Take Shelter 8.5/10
Normal family guy just starts having hallucinations and nightmares about a storm that he believes is coming. He believes it to the point it begins to consume him and everything he does. Leading actor does an amazing job. Really enjoyable movie.
Adjustment Bureau 7/10
Thought it was a typical political snore fest type movie. Movie takes a turn for the weird and ends up being decent. Pleasure to watch Matt Damon as always.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
John Carter - 6.5/10 - I finally had the chance to see this year's bomb, and I was surprised. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be. There were a couple flaws though. The first was that they didn't present some of the background well enough. No one knows what these "rays" are, but we know the 9th one is pretty good. At the beginning, I had no idea who was the bad guy during the fight. All I knew is that the people from the walking city were not very nice, but they don't differ much. It's easier to tell later on given one wears a red cloak and the other wears blue.

When you watch a movie like this, it's a lot easier to enjoy if you can get absorbed in the plight. We're told flat out that the people on this walking city are bad, and they are aggressors, but that's it. Honestly, I need more than this. I want you to pull at my heartstrings and make me want to hate the bad guy. Have him kill some innocent people or something really vile. Similar to John Carter in the beginning, I just didn't care about their plight, but unlike Carter, I never took interest.

Although, I did like the ending.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, in pretty much all ways Manhunter is inferior to Red Dragon.
In fact even back in 1986 they would have been able to make a much better movie.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Take Shelter 8.5/10
Normal family guy just starts having hallucinations and nightmares about a storm that he believes is coming. He believes it to the point it begins to consume him and everything he does. Leading actor does an amazing job. Really enjoyable movie.

^Awesome movie

There is a teaser scene for The Master from Cannes but I don't dare watch it...

the-master-phoenix-paul-thomas.jpg

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Does Netflix streaming look like shit for you guys too? I signed up for my free month on the weekend; watched a handful of Futurama episodes, which looked pretty gross, then I watched Blade last night and it looked pretty damn awful. It said it was HD (did not look like it) and it said it was in 5.1, which it definitely was not as only two of my speakers were going.

Not impressed so far...

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Does Netflix streaming look like shit for you guys too? I signed up for my free month on the weekend; watched a handful of Futurama episodes, which looked pretty gross, then I watched Blade last night and it looked pretty damn awful. It said it was HD (did not look like it) and it said it was in 5.1, which it definitely was not as only two of my speakers were going.

Not impressed so far...

KT

Quality is a huge hit or miss. I recently watched Drive.. and it was acceptable.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Quality is a huge hit or miss. I recently watched Drive.. and it was acceptable.

Hmmm, I'm honestly not sure I can handle it. I found the quality extremely distracting and it kept taking me out of the movie. Very disappointing.

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
This is how Drive looks like.. I know simple screenshots do not do any justice, but it can give you an idea.

av5PD.jpg

Since you watch movies on BD I think you have every reason to be pissed. :D

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
This is how Drive looks like.. I know simple screenshots do not do any justice, but it can give you an idea.

drive.png

Since you watch movies on BD I think you have every reason to be pissed. :D

...yeah, that's not so good Al. I may try that comparison tonight since I own Drive on Blu. Would be interested to see/hear with my own eyes/ears.

Not going to be moving away from Blu anytime soon by the look of things.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I'm usually ok with the HD streams. If I can remember, I'll test out Blade tonight. The SD stuff can be quite bad though. Most of the time though, the quality is good enough that I don't really notice, but depending on the movie it could be bothersome.

Oh, and KT, make sure you go into the options and force it to stream the highest quality, otherwise it might dumb it down depending on your connection

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Maybe I just need to stick with documentaries and sitcoms on there.

KT

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow, you think that shot of Drive looks "not so good" KT? Haha, you must be spoiled by the Blu-ray movies. ;) I find Netflix's HD movies look excellent.

Last edited:

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Oh, and KT, make sure you go into the options and force it to stream the highest quality, otherwise it might dumb it down depending on your connection

:hmm: I never tried this. I just changed it to best quality.. wonder how much difference that makes.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Perhaps. I've always been a big defender of netflix streaming but I've been using it less often lately. I think the selection is good, but the DVD selection of almost ANY movie is obviously better, and the stuff I want to see most is usually DVD only. But I still get enough use out of the streaming that I'll keep paying for it.

I've found that the quality is more of an issue with older stuff. Newer stuff is usually ok, but I don't have a sound system or any fancy setup so lack of blu ray quality doesn't kill me.

busy, I'm not sure if it actually does anything, but it can't hurt :)

D:

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Wow, you think that shot of Drive looks "not so good" KT? Haha, you must be spoiled by the Blu-ray movies. ;) I find Netflix's HD movies look excellent.

Yeah, probably spoiled. Sure is hard to go back now though. :\

:hmm: I never tried this. I just changed it to best quality.. wonder how much difference that makes.

Perhaps. I've always been a big defender of netflix streaming but I've been using it less often lately. I think the selection is good, but the DVD selection of almost ANY movie is obviously better, and the stuff I want to see most is usually DVD only. But I still get enough use out of the streaming that I'll keep paying for it.

I've found that the quality is more of an issue with older stuff. Newer stuff is usually ok, but I don't have a sound system or any fancy setup so lack of blu ray quality doesn't kill me.

busy, I'm not sure if it actually does anything, but it can't hurt :)

I'll make that change to see if it does anything. M connection is good, so it is hopefully not throttling, but who knows. Would the same thing apply to the sound?

For $8.00/month it seems fine enough, but it will not be replacing my Blu-rays anytime soon, that's for sure. The lady uses it all the time and loves it, but of course she is only watching on a laptop...

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Not sure about the sound, but it's definitely weird that it says 5.1 but isn't. Might wanna try and google that, could be a common problem but I have no clue

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999

I never have any problems with it or SD for the matter.

5.1 sound only works on some devices last I checked. I know it does on my PS3.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
I'm using a PS3. :hmm:

KT

With the 5.1 sound issue, make sure you choose it in the movie setting (Audio & Subtitles). I don't know why, but 5.1 isn't the default. I've also found that some TV episodes only certain seasons are in 5.1. Some play stereo even though 5.1 is chosen.

EDIT: Goes without saying, but make sure the PS3 is sending 5.1 channels or bitstreaming Dolby Digital to your receiver.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Fargo (for the 5th time, first time in 6 years) on my newly bought Epson 8700ub projector. It's been called a perfect movie, repeatedly. At the top of my Coen Bros. list. Francis McDormand was great, and I still think William H. Macy should have won an Oscar. He did an incredible acting job.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Battle Ship: Watched the last showing last night. Was a fun movie. I actually didn't fall asleep like I did with Avengers. Wish there was more action though. Lotta recycle CGI in the movie. I give it 6.5/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.