NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The Thing (2011) - 5.5/10:

Cowboys & Aliens - 4/10:

Dream House - 1/10:

KT

Not a good weekend, huh?

I'm assuming Mid-August Lunch is nothing remotely similar to Gomorrah, so beware. It's one of those "nothing happens" movies, which I know you don't mind, but I wanted to point it out anyway.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
The Thing (2011) - 5.5/10: I know this is supposed to be a prequel and there are definitely certain elements that give you background on what happened prior to Carpenter's Thing, but in so many ways it just feels like a remake. Either way, it was pretty pointless. I didn't mind being back in the world of The Thing, but a lot of the paranoia and fear of Carpenter's film was removed, thereby diminishing the impact of the film overall. There were a few decent scenes and Winstead was decent enough; the rest of the cast was kind of odd though (Vaughn from Community really threw me off). The ending also made no sense (not the coda, the actual ending); maybe it was supposed to be ambiguous? Either way, it was dumb. Didn't hate the movie, it just seemed kind of pointless.

I haven't watched the original movie yet.. is it better if I watch this first before John Carpenter's The Thing?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Not a good weekend, huh?

I'm assuming Mid-August Lunch is nothing remotely similar to Gomorrah, so beware. It's one of those "nothing happens" movies, which I know you don't mind, but I wanted to point it out anyway.

Been sick all weekend (all week actually) so needed fluff anyway, but man, pretty disappointing group of films.

Sounds good to me! :awe:

I haven't watched the original movie yet.. is it better if I watch this first before John Carpenter's The Thing?

Honestly I would just watch Carpenter's film and skip the new one. I will say as a big fan of Carpenter's film, I was intrigued by what elements they would try to look at integrating in this prequel, but the threads were so tenuous, they were kind of irrelevant.

KT

KT

Nov 7, 2000
Your Highness - 7.2/10 - I had high expectations when I first heard of this film, then much lower once I saw some reviews. I can see why it reviewed poorly, but I liked it. I do enjoy the crude sort of humor McBride is becoming known for. I thought the casting was actually really well done. Very much enjoyed the characters of the two brothers, two ladies & the squire (wizard was just OK). It was actually a semi-passable fantasy story as well. Cliched of course, but some decent creatures and stuff. The one scene that felt out of place for me was
when they are escaping from the initial mutiny, and the mongols come from out of nowhere. I understand the connection, but the anachronism didn't otherwise fit with the style of the movie. "I'ts my birthday today... FUCK THAT" hahahah

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Le Samourai - 8/10:
1967 Jean-Pierre Melville, his film which preceded Army of Shadows and Le Cercle Rouge, the first of three Melville movies starring Alain Delon.

A little bit gangster film, a little bit samurai flick, this 1960s French masterpiece from Jean-Pierre Melville introduces the memorable anti-hero Jef Costello (Alain Delon), a contract killer with the instincts of a Japanese warrior and the features of Adonis.

A masterpiece Melville gangster film with some samurai features? I'm sure I'm not the only one who was super excited to watch this. It was good, but I was a little disappointed, though my hopes were extremely high.

The Samurai pieces were subtle, it's a crime drama like many of Melville's films. Unfortunately I think I liked this one the least of what I've seen, behind le Flambeur, Doulos, and certainly Rouge/Army. It's still a solid watch, and I know this Melville is a favorite of some people, so it's definitely possible that you guys will really enjoy it.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Le Samourai - 8/10:
1967 Jean-Pierre Melville, his film which preceded Army of Shadows and Le Cercle Rouge, the first of three Melville movies starring Alain Delon.

A masterpiece Melville gangster film with some samurai features? I'm sure I'm not the only one who was super excited to watch this. It was good, but I was a little disappointed, though my hopes were extremely high.

The Samurai pieces were subtle, it's a crime drama like many of Melville's films. Unfortunately I think I liked this one the least of what I've seen, behind le Flambeur, Doulos, and certainly Rouge/Army. It's still a solid watch, and I know this Melville is a favorite of some people, so it's definitely possible that you guys will really enjoy it.

Hmm, interesting. I am still super excited to see this one, but maybe I will have to measure my expectations a bit. I'm really falling behind on my Melville!

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Well I hope it lives up to your expectations, mine were way up there, and maybe you'll like it more than me regardless. It was still good, but it's hard to judge objectively when I've seen him do so much more

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
"You got nice boobs, Peggy."
"My names Didi."
"You got nice boobs, Didi"
"Mama sure raised a sweet talker." :wub:

Cast-of-My-Name-is-Earl-my-name-is-earl-119310_580_387.jpg

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Although you are entitled to your opinion, I find it hard to take your reviews seriously.

D:
:eek:
:twisted:
Hey, you don't have to like it, but come on now :colbert: It's not an action movie, btw

I think it was all because of my expectation. The Hollywood poster, tagline and synopsis all gave me an impression of an action movie. If I just saw the movie straight up, I would've liked it.

LOOK AT THIS SHIT trailer and how they market it. Even look at the #1 comment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWX34ShfcsE&feature=related

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I think it was all because of my expectation. The Hollywood poster, tagline and synopsis all gave me an impression of an action movie. If I just saw the movie straight up, I would've liked it.

LOOK AT THIS SHIT trailer and how they market it. Even look at the #1 comment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWX34ShfcsE&feature=related

I have not watched any Drive trailers, but it does not surprise me and it is one of the many reasons I try not to watch any trailers these days. The American was another one like that.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I don't think the trailer was that misleading. But I think we've argued/discussed Drive as much as we can. Everyone can have their own opinion, right or wrong.

Who is going to see Hunger Games this weekend? I don't think my gf wants to go with me, I think she's going with her sister and mom, they've all read the stupid book :) I don't really have any interest in it but the hype is tempting. I can't stand Jennifer Lawrence though. I think she's the equivalent of KT's Worthington, expressionless and dull.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I've only seen a few blips and screenshots of Hunger Games, but it looks freaking awful to me. I have no desire to see it and I have to say Lawrence did look terrible in the short clips I actually bothered to watch.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Stanley Tucci looks ridiculous in the ads and not in a good, Fifth Element sort of way.

KT

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Paparazzi (2004) - 9/10

Cole Hauser (Johns from Pitch Black) plays an up and coming action star that is harassed by evil paparazzi, played by Tom Seizemore, Daniel Baldwin (the craziest Baldwin brother), and Kevin Gage (Waingro from Heat). They cause an accident which puts Cole Hauser's kid in a coma, and he gets revenge! Robin Tunney plays Hauser's wife, and Dennis Farina plays the veteran detective assigned to the case.

Its pretty much what you would think a movie like this would be, but it does it very well. The casting for the paparazzi was excellent, as they were true scumbags. Cameos include Vince Vaughn, Mel Gibson (very funny), Chris Rock, and Matthew McConaughey.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Paparazzi (2004) - 9/10

Cole Hauser (Johns from Pitch Black) plays an up and coming action star that is harassed by evil paparazzi, played by Tom Seizemore, Daniel Baldwin (the craziest Baldwin brother), and Kevin Gage (Waingro from Heat). They cause an accident which puts Cole Hauser's kid in a coma, and he gets revenge! Robin Tunney plays Hauser's wife, and Dennis Farina plays the veteran detective assigned to the case.

Its pretty much what you would think a movie like this would be, but it does it very well. The casting for the paparazzi was excellent, as they were true scumbags. Cameos include Vince Vaughn, Mel Gibson (very funny), Chris Rock, and Matthew McConaughey.

Seems to have mixed reviews on my rental site. :hmm:

Sigh. I'm awfully tempted to turn off this Fincher girl with the dragon tattoo...

Have you seen the original?

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I liked the original quite a bit. This one is....Idk. The original started slow but I'm not enjoying this one at all. I'm bored since I feel like I've seen this before.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Seems to have mixed reviews on my rental site. :hmm:

I like good character actors, and this movie is full of them. Its not going to win any awards, but its pretty good for what it is. Like for example:

Eye See You/D-Tox (2002) - 9/10

Sylvester Stallone plays a cop who looses his marbles after dealing with a serial killer. He checks into an isolated rehab clinic in the mountains with other law enforcement officers who need psychiatric help. But the serial killer checks in as well, picking off cops one by one! Also starring Charles S Dutton, Jeffrey Wright, Tom Berenger, Stephen Lang, Kris Kristofferson, Robert Patrick and Sean patrick Flanery. Whats funny is you can replace "serial killer" with "shape shifting alien", and you have The Thing (1982) 20/10, one of my all time favorites.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Bhutto - 7.5/10

If you are interested in knowing the fucked up history of politics in Pakistan.. do watch this.

Castaway on the Moon - 8.5/10

I really liked this movie.. even more than Zemeckis/Hanks's Castaway. It maybe because I think most of Tom Hanks's movies are generally overrated.. not that he is a bad actor though.

Anyway, I was pretty surprised by this Korean movie.. it has a lot of heart, very candid and funny.

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
^castaway has been on my queue since it got added to streaming. someone gave it a very poor rating a few weeks ago, glad to hear you liked it.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I liked the original quite a bit. This one is....Idk. The original started slow but I'm not enjoying this one at all. I'm bored since I feel like I've seen this before.

This is how I've felt about that movie ever since I saw the first clip of it. Seemed all too familiar.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo(Fincher, 2011) - 6.5/10:
I gave the original an 8.5. I'm finding it hard to fairly judge this one on its own, but I didn't think it was very good. Being a rather complex story, already knowing all the details made it very boring. It's one thing going from the book to the movie, but from movie to movie is redundant. And even though people were quick to specify that this was not a "remake", it was still the same material done very similarly.

My main gripe was the dialogue was often corny and the acting sometimes went ham. The fake-half accents probably didn't help. I didn't like Fincher's work here either. It seemed like there was a fair amount of CGI scenes that just weren't necessary. The original did a great job of setting the scene with some great outdoor shots and it really made you feel what the characters were going through. Daniel Craig inside his cottage acting cold didn't really do the same thing. I didn't feel any of the tension of the first film, but maybe because I knew what was coming, I can't be sure.

Fortunately, we do get a gratuitously naked Rooney Mara(who plays the role well, probably no better or worse than the original. She did have that material to work off of, though)

If you've seen the original I think this is an easy pass. I'm not sure if I would have liked it if this was the first version I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.