NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 54 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Beauty and the Beast in 3D - I won't give this one a rating because you should know whether you'll like it or not before you go see it. Few adults would purposely go to the theater to see Beauty and the Beast unless they have children or if they're nostalgic about the movie. But here are my thoughts.

First off, 3D adds absolutely nothing to the movie. I've only seen three movies in 3D - the first was Avatar, which was filmed from the very beginning with 3D in mind, and the second was Hubble 3D (a documentary), which featured a fair amount of really cool "flying through space" CGI and worked well. Hand-drawn animation, though? No, it doesn't work. Looks a bit like a pop-up book.

With that out of the way, Beauty and the Beast is a Disney classic. I'm not much of a Disney fan but this is one movie I can enjoy anyway. It's my wife's absolute favorite Disney movie so it was especially fun for her. The movie looks great and it actually made me miss hand-drawn animated movies. All but one of the previews were for CG animated movies and the short film intro was also CG, and as cool as it looks, there's such a thing as too much detail and too much stuff going on at once. Think Star Wars original trilogy vs. prequel trilogy.

Sierra Boggess kinda looks like belle :awe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJMpy1C9Cnc

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Weather Man - 6.5/10: So Nick Cage plays an emotionally messed up weather man who gets a lot of shit thrown at him (tacos, milkshakes, etc.). This was ok; I laughed in several parts, so some of the dark humour was pretty effective, particularly dealing with his daughter's name calling, which was hilarious, and I liked Michael Caine a lot, so quiet, yet blunt. Unfortunately most of the other stuff surrounding those good bits was pretty bland. The strained relationship with the ex-wife, the odd exploits of his son, and his almost irrelevant job. Not a bad movie, but I feel it could have been much better.

KT

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
The Weather Man - 6.5/10: So Nick Cage plays an emotionally messed up weather man who gets a lot of shit thrown at him (tacos, milkshakes, etc.). This was ok; I laughed in several parts, so some of the dark humour was pretty effective, particularly dealing with his daughter's name calling, which was hilarious, and I liked Michael Caine a lot, so quiet, yet blunt. Unfortunately most of the other stuff surrounding those good bits was pretty bland. The strained relationship with the ex-wife, the odd exploits of his son, and his almost irrelevant job. Not a bad movie, but I feel it could have been much better.

KT

Funny, I fired this up on Netflix two days ago when the Nic Cage discussion started ;)

I actually like this film (had seen it once or twice before). It came out when I first really started getting depressed about the mundane/useless nature of my job (software), so it was relatable in that regard. On the other hand, I realized that this guy and his life was probably representative of quite a few in the real world, so it reminds me to be grateful for the family I have.

7.5/10 for me. Cage was still Cage, but his acting seemed more controlled, but moreover, the story felt real... as in, in the blink of an eye, this could be your life.
Minus the $1.2M offer from Good Morning America

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Funny, I fired this up on Netflix two days ago when the Nic Cage discussion started ;)

I actually like this film (had seen it once or twice before). It came out when I first really started getting depressed about the mundane/useless nature of my job (software), so it was relatable in that regard. On the other hand, I realized that this guy and his life was probably representative of quite a few in the real world, so it reminds me to be grateful for the family I have.

7.5/10 for me. Cage was still Cage, but his acting seemed more controlled, but moreover, the story felt real... as in, in the blink of an eye, this could be your life.
Minus the $1.2M offer from Good Morning America

Oh I certainly did not dislike it, it just did not hit enough of the dark comedy pieces, or enough of the emotional bits, to leave a lasting impression on me. It seemed to straddle the line, lessening the impact of both of the attempted styles. I absolutely loved Michael Caine in this though, he was straight up awesome.

KT

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I was looking at going to Chronicle. The fact that it centres around teenagers makes me thing twice though.

Well i watched about 25 minutes of Chronicle.

Then we had to evacuate the theatre and mall due to a small fire D:
Will have to go back eventually to see the rest :p

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well i watched about 25 minutes of Chronicle.

Then we had to evacuate the theatre and mall due to a small fire D:
Will have to go back eventually to see the rest :p

Haha, how exciting! When I went to see it, the film did not start the first time, just a black screen after the previews, then they restarted and the film played with no sound. Took them three tries to get it right. Must be something weird about this movie. :hmm:

KT

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Haha, how exciting! When I went to see it, the film did not start the first time, just a black screen after the previews, then they restarted and the film played with no sound. Took them three tries to get it right. Must be something weird about this movie. :hmm:

KT

Maybe the projectionist was high? :p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's the overly sentimental aspect that I don't like. The movies you list are good but I don't really love any of them.

I didn't like E.T. at all. I went and bought the DVD too. My favorite is Jurassic Park. Jaws, well, I'm allergic because I used to make a living skin diving. The movie's take on sharks is kind of prepubescent, a kind of fantasy. Sharks don't hunt humans, don't often bother them. So, since the premise rubbed me the wrong way the movie doesn't work for me the way it does for others. I appreciate that Speilberg was masterful in his building of suspense, but fear of shark attack isn't something that a skin diver wants to indulge in!

I liked Munich, not so much on rewatching it.

Yes, he's overly sentimental in general. At least for my tastes. I had a girlfriend who was a movie buff and disliked Spielberg, period.

Last edited:

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
The Terminator - 8/10

I hate to admit that I've never seen this movie before. Great acting, great pacing, great buildup to good suspense kept me interested. Arnold Schwarzenegger looked incredibly fake at times. Especially at the end...

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
The Terminator - 8/10

I hate to admit that I've never seen this movie before. Great acting, great pacing, great buildup to good suspense kept me interested. Arnold Schwarzenegger looked incredibly fake at times. Especially at the end...

1980s special effects lol. Terminator 1 was an extremely low budget movie too btw.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Terminator - 8/10

The effects don't bother me. Freaking love that movie. :thumbsup:

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Midnight Cowboy - 8.5/10:
This movie probably doesn't have the same effect as it did when it was released, so I didn't love it. If anyone hasn't seen it, it stars Jon Voight as a young Texan man who decides to go to New York City to become a "hustler"(prostitute). It's a nice role, but Dustin Hoffman as a small-time con man is really great.

It's a pretty trippy movie, and I can only imagine the audience response back then. Critics must have liked it though, and even with an X-rating it won the Best Picture Oscar(beat out Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, though the not-nominated Easy Rider was the best film of 1969).

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Midnight Cowboy - 8.5/10:
This movie probably doesn't have the same effect as it did when it was released, so I didn't love it. If anyone hasn't seen it, it stars Jon Voight as a young Texan man who decides to go to New York City to become a "hustler"(prostitute). It's a nice role, but Dustin Hoffman as a small-time con man is really great.

It's a pretty trippy movie, and I can only imagine the audience response back then. Critics must have liked it though, and even with an X-rating it won the Best Picture Oscar(beat out Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, though the not-nominated Easy Rider was the best film of 1969).

It definitely has some weird moments, the party scenes and whatnot, but yeah Hoffman makes the movie. Butch Cassidy is freaking awesome though, would have gotten my vote.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
You have to see Easy Rider! Did you ever buy that BBS/America Criterion pack?

There were some good foreign films too that year

Status
Not open for further replies.