NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Motorama - WTF/10 (7/10)
free on Crackle

I can pretty much guarantee that it's the only movie you'll ever watch where you'll end up feeling that it's the most normal thing in the world for a 10 year old to be driving himself across the country. The movie's surreal.
I was surprised by the number of familiar faces in the cast that goes by: Robert Picardo, John Diehl, Dick Miller, Drew Barrymore, Meat Loaf, Irwin Keyes...
It's a weird, dark ride, and it's pretty well done. The cinematography really pulls the movie together into something that's worth seeing.

I forgot to tell you...

If you find any... squirrels... you give'm to me!

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The Trotsky - 8/10:
KT

Available on Netflix streaming, for anyone interested ^

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - 8.5/10:
The second Buñuel film I've seen. The other, was The Exterminating Angel. It was about a group of guests at a dinner party who are unable to leave after the party is over(by unable, I don't mean they are hostages or anything. Bunuel is a surrealist, if you aren't familiar with him). This film is about a group of people who keep trying to have a meal together, but they are always interrupted. I found it much more complex and difficult to understand at first glance, but I am more clear now that I've read a bit about it. Still, I much preferred The Exterminating Angel.

This is definitely the type of movie that gets better with each viewing(like all of Bunuel's, I'm sure). It won the Oscar for best foreign film, and it seems like it may be Bunuel's most popular film.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I finally watched Tron : Legacy. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was solid and had a certain feel to the movie that had me interested in it. I'd give it 9/10.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Chop - 8/10

I went into this just figuring it was another B Horror movie about an unknown assailant torturing a victim. The first couple of minutes it looks like a bad B movie (and even somewhat of a SAW ripoff), however I was pleasantly surprised that it is not at all. It turned out to be quite a good psychological thriller with quite a bit of humor thrown in that kept me guessing WTF was going on until the end.

It is over the top at times, it is funny, there's some gore, but nothing too drastic.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I was looking at going to Chronicle. The fact that it centres around teenagers makes me thing twice though.

Look a few posts back; I reviewed it there. The Grey is awesome.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
After reading it(and listening to some of the soundtrack) I was very tempted to buy a copy...

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
The Adjustment Bureau: 8.5/10 - Finally something my wife and I could watch together... actually I saw it on my own first then recommended it to her. She is a sucker for love stories and it wasn't puke-tastic for me... pretty original - but it was from a book.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ip Man (Yip Man) - 8.5/10: I'm probably the last one here to see this movie, but I'm glad I finally did. It's funny, in so many ways this really just feels like a cheesy propaganda film, but the fighting is so fantastic, and I loved the lead character so much, I was able to ignore all of the crappiness and ended up pretty much loving the movie. I was actually very surprised by the political turn, I did not expect that at all and when it happened I was concerned it would wreck the movie, and while it attempted to, I was able to get past it. Yen was super awesome and I really like the General and the bandit guy; most everyone else was at least acceptable. Now I'm going to try and watch a couple more of Yen's movies.

KT

Last edited:

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Beauty and the Beast in 3D - I won't give this one a rating because you should know whether you'll like it or not before you go see it. Few adults would purposely go to the theater to see Beauty and the Beast unless they have children or if they're nostalgic about the movie. But here are my thoughts.

First off, 3D adds absolutely nothing to the movie. I've only seen three movies in 3D - the first was Avatar, which was filmed from the very beginning with 3D in mind, and the second was Hubble 3D (a documentary), which featured a fair amount of really cool "flying through space" CGI and worked well. Hand-drawn animation, though? No, it doesn't work. Looks a bit like a pop-up book.

With that out of the way, Beauty and the Beast is a Disney classic. I'm not much of a Disney fan but this is one movie I can enjoy anyway. It's my wife's absolute favorite Disney movie so it was especially fun for her. The movie looks great and it actually made me miss hand-drawn animated movies. All but one of the previews were for CG animated movies and the short film intro was also CG, and as cool as it looks, there's such a thing as too much detail and too much stuff going on at once. Think Star Wars original trilogy vs. prequel trilogy.

I have a free pass to see this in the theater for buying the 3D blu-ray...think it would look weird for a 40yr old guy to watch this alone in the theater?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Hay Keith have you seen Hunger yet?

Not yet. After slayer's review and my disappointment in Shame, I've moved it down my list a bit. It's still sitting on my DVR, but I always seem to find other things I want to watch over it.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
:( It's very very good!

:colbert:

There are some bits making it worth the watch, but it's not a very good movie imo

I think it comes down to whether or not you get emotionally attached to the story. I didn't, and I think Mcqueen was to blame

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.